13 Best Backup Software: Free & Paid Tools for Windows and Mac
Unless you don’t mind losing all your files, documents, and data to a hard drive crash, it makes sense to have some way to backup all that information in place, whether for personal or business use.
That’s where backup software comes in. The best ones will help you avoid such a data armageddon, regularly copying your data to a secure, remote storage server that you can reach from anywhere.
Having servers in such far-flung locations is important because local backups could very well be caught in the same fire, flood, or other natural disasters that damage your primary storage device, leaving you stranded.
While you’d be hard-pressed to find a backup software as slick and effective as Time Machine, Apple’s native backup service, some of them come pretty darn close—and many are even free.
Read on to find out our top picks for the 13 best free and paid backup software solutions for Windows and Mac in 2022.
Is Cloud Storage the Same as Backup?
Many confuse cloud backup and cloud storage functions but if you take a closer look, you'll see that there are clear differences between both services. To understand these differences, we need to understand the basics of cloud storage vs. cloud backup.
Cloud storage solutions like Dropbox and OneDrive are great for syncing files, photos, and videos between your laptop and the cloud. This means that you will be able to access your stored files from any device and share them with others.
Cloud storage is built to increase your storage space and help you access and edit files from different devices easily.
Cloud backup is your go-to if your data goes missing, you have not been constantly updating your files to your cloud storage, and are at risk of losing the files that weren’t manually uploaded.
With the file versioning features offered by many cloud backup services, you can always recover a clean version of all your files if you ever lose them to viruses, malware, or ransomware of any kind.
Cloud backup providers' main intent is keeping your data secure: Your files are encrypted while being transferred and in storage. Unfortunately, with most cloud storage services, files are only encrypted server-side, which leaves your data during the data transfer process insecure.
With cloud storage, you have to manually pick files you want to store in the cloud, while cloud backup services work automatically to save and sync files stored on your computer.
Why You Should Back Up Your PC
A couple of years ago Delta Airlines canceled more than 1,300 flights because the company's computer systems were down, costing the company over $100 million. If data loss can affect big corporations like Delta, then no one is safe.
You might think that there are always data recovery services to help you out in the event of such a crisis and you’re right; but even then, not all kinds of data are recoverable, unfortunately.
Below are a couple of reasons to back up your PC regularly.
1. Backups are a Pre-Emptive Measure
There are several potential threats to your data such as electrical outages, viruses, physical theft, and dust that can destroy your hard drive. By backing up your data, you are prepared for the worst possible scenarios that might happen in life.
2. Data Recovery Can be Expensive and Worrisome
If you lose your files, there is no guarantee you will get your data back. You can try using data recovery software or a data recovery service center. However these procedures will cost you time and money, without accounting for the memories lost, or the business hours wasted on this error. With how hectic things can get, having a backup is much like having insurance. If data loss happens, you don’t have to bear the full cost of the loss.
3. Data Backups Provide Redundancy
By keeping multiple instances of your data in different places, data backups create redundancy that ensures that there’s always a version of your files available for you somewhere, no matter what happens to the original copies.
In other words, by backing up your data, you can move, edit, and re-format files without affecting the original copy. You can have the same content synced across two different hard drives, and decide when the backup should run every day. You also choose to set your backup to re-write only the newest incremental changes to the files each time.
Best Backup Software for Windows and Mac
A Comprehensive and User-friendly Backup Software that is Best at Online File Syncing.
IDrive is a comprehensive user-friendly cloud backup and storage solution that covers practically everything you will need an online backup service to do and more.
- Backups for Multiple devices: IDrive allows you to back up as many PCs, Macs, iPhones, iPads, and Android devices as you like with a single account. Additionally, you can easily back up data from external hard drives.
- Online File Syncing: Files and folders can be synced easily in real-time across all devices you link with IDrive. IDrive gives you the same amount of sync storage as it gives you backup storage. So, synced files don’t count towards your backup storage limits.
- Versioning and Snapshots: Snapshots provide a view of your data history for point-in-time recovery and easy protection against ransomware. IDrive stores up to 30 former versions of all files you backup to your account.
- Privacy and Security: IDrive secures your files with 256-bit AES encryption, even going as far as to ensure that your user-defined key is not stored anywhere on their servers.
- Backs up any device
- Safe and easy to use
- Offers hybrid backup
- Mapped drive backup
- Offers cloud file syncing
- Supports file sharing and social media backup
Pricing for IDrive is divided into four tiers: Basic, Personal, Team, and Business.
- The Basic plan is completely free with no credit card required and 5GB of storage.
- The IDrive Personal plan is priced at $59.62 for your first year. It supports one user with unlimited computers and offers 5TB of storage.
- The IDrive Team plan costs $74.64 for your first year. This plan supports 5 users and 5 computers and includes 5TB of storage.
- The IDrive Business plan costs the same as IDrive Team, but this plan supports unlimited users, computers, and servers with 250 GB storage.
Ideal Backup Software for Novice Computer Users.
Backblaze is a robust online backup solution that was built with the aim of helping businesses store all their important data on the cloud.
- Scheduled and Automated Backups: Backblaze helps you automate file backups; just set it and your files will automatically be backed up at the appointed time. You also have the option to pause this process if you ever need to.
- Unlimited Storage: With Backblaze, you get unlimited storage so you never have to worry about paying extra charges for storage.
- Continuous Backup: With this feature, your files are automatically and continuously backed up so that the backup always has the latest version of your files. You get the option of choosing either continuous, scheduled, or manual backups with Backblaze.
- Hard Drive Restore Program: Backblaze provides a Restore, Return, Refund program where users can collect a USB flash drive and USB hard drive restores and return them after 30 days. They will receive a refund if they choose to return the flash drive or can decide to keep it as a local copy. USB Flash Restores are priced at $99 and often store up to 256 GB of data and USB Hard Drive restores which cost $189 can store up to 8 TB max of data.
- Versioning: Also known as Version History, Backblaze stores all old versions or deleted files for 30 days by default. You can now extend your version history to a year or forever for an additional fee.
- Easy to Use
- Secure Encryption
- Backs up unlimited file types and sizes
- Provides unlimited backup speeds
- Supports unlimited external drives
Unlike most online backup services, Backblaze offers just one online backup plan.
Their pricing model covers different periods. For the monthly plan, you have to pay $7.00 per month. You can also decide to pay $70 per year at $5.83 per month or $130 for two years at $5.42 per month.
Additionally, you get a 15-day free trial period as a new user before you have to commit to a monthly or yearly plan. Unfortunately, they do not provide a free online backup plan like many other backup services.
Robust Featured Online Backup Software with an Excellent Archive Tab.
Acronis True Image is an online backup service that comes with a robust-featured suite of data solutions that ensure all your business data is protected. This imaging backup software is great for businesses that need to ensure that their data is stored and protected with features like disk-cloning and rescue-disk creation.
- Archiving and Syncing: One of the highlights of Acronis True Image is the Archive tab. This feature scans your folders for useless files and moves them to an external drive or cloud storage. It can be set to search your files automatically, or you can choose to send files to these drives manually. With cloud syncing you can access files and folders via the web or a mobile device.
- Protection From Viruses and Ransomware: Acronis True Image makes data theft, malware, and ransomware a thing of the past since it scans your files for potential hazards and identifies the security weaknesses in your operating system. You can block harmful URLs and safeguard your data and privacy from hackers when on a videoconference.
- Blockchain Notarization and Digital Signatures: The Acronis Notary tool lets you generate a blockchain-based certificate that serves as a simple way to confirm your identity. It’s effectively a digital fingerprint.
- Active Disk Cloning: Acronis backup software helps you make a replica of any Windows/Mac system while it is in use. This is one of the best options for quick migration, without losing anything. From files to applications, it ensures you transfer everything smoothly.
- CPU Load Balancing: Although Acronis True Image doesn’t normally overload your device, the latest version offers a feature called CPU load balancing that keeps your computer’s CPU from overloading.
- Amazing Dual-Protection feature
- Secure mobile apps
- Secure against cyber-attacks
- Easy to use
- Supports unlimited mobile devices
- Simple file restore option
- Provides Instagram and Facebook backups
Acronis True Image provides several price packages for you to choose from:
- The Essential plan costs $39.99 per year with local backup capabilities.
- The Advanced plan is priced at $89.99 per year and it includes local backup functionality + 250GB of online cloud storage for one computer.
- The Premium plan goes for $124.99 yearly with local backup functionality and 1TB of online storage for one computer.
Best Free Online Backup Software for Data Restoration.
EaseUs Todo Backup is a comprehensive backup software that provides complete data back-up and restoration for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android devices. It’s a better option for businesses and users that are big on data security and data fidelity.
- Data Backup: EaseUS free backup software safeguards whatever you value. Todo Backup Free is a free backup software for Windows that supports full, incremental, differential, scheduled backups. All your system files and disks are set up for automatic backups. This is done in as little as five minutes even if it is a whole C drive.
- Quick Restore: EaseUS backup restores lost data fast in a matter of seconds from backups you create.
- Clone disk: You can clone your disk or partition data sector by sector which lets you make complete copies of your old disk or securely upgrade and replace it with no impact on your original data.
- Provides great value for money
- Fast and easy to use
- Extremely reliable
You might have guessed that EaseUS Todo Backup Free is completely free. It comes with backup and data restoration features. You can also choose to upgrade to their only paid account priced at $19.95 to access more online backup service features.
Affordable Enterprise-Grade Backup Software.
CrashPlan for Small Business is a backup program that provides enterprise-grade data loss protection features at a price that is suitable for small businesses.
- Protect your most important files without restrictions: With CrashPlan for Small Business, there are no file size limits, which means you can back up all of your critical data without restrictions.
- Multiple destination protection: Backing up your files to multiple destinations is the best way to protect your data against catastrophe. CrashPlan for Small Business gives you around-the-clock access to your backup in the Code42 Cloud. You can also back up to your external drives without any additional cost.
- Security to meet your needs: Data security is a very important component of CrashPlan for Small Business data protection services. This is why CrashPlan for Small Business makes use of AES-256 encryption.
- Code42 console: Its Code42 console helps you remotely view the real-time status of computer backups, storage, and restore activity. You can easily modify and monitor users' backups, allowing you to effectively manage backups for your business.
- File retention and versioning
- Daily backup reports
- External drive backup
- Easy-to-use cloud backup software with an intuitive design
- Unlimited cloud storage space
- Support for secure AES 256-bit encryption
- Support for app password and multi-factor authentication (2FA)
- Continuous (always-on) protection of data
A CrashPlan for Small Business subscription costs just $10 and comes with a 30-day free trial, requiring a minimum of one device registered to the account.
One of the Easiest-to-Use Backup Software Available Today.
If you are looking for a simple way to backup your data in preparation for a crash or cyber-attack, Paragon Backup and Recovery might be just what you need.
- Schedule automatic backups: You can set an automatic backup routine depending on operations that you repeat often. You can also set up your custom backup parameters based on backup type, retention interval, and more.
- Informative resources: Paragon offers several informative support resources and troubleshooting guides. Paragon blogs upload long-term articles packed with tips and guides on how to use the platform.
- Activity report: Paragon Backup & Recovery comes with an activity monitor that helps you track the software operations. You get a preview of all your previous backup operations and planned tasks on the Paragon dashboard.
- Backup management: You can locate all your backed-up files on the My Backups tab on the Paragon index menu. The system allows you to make further changes to your backups after creating them.
- Provides system image backups
- Comes with lots of backup creation settings
- Provides enough free and flexible solutions
Paragon Backup and Recovery Community Edition is completely free but if you intend to use this software for commercial use it is best to go for the Paragon Hard Disk Manager. The Hard Disk Manager offers a 30-day free trial and can be bought for $99.
Best Backup Software for Multiple Backup Groups.
Cobian Backup is a multi-threaded program that helps schedule and backup your files and folders from their original location into other drives on the same computer or into another computer within your network.
- Automatic backup: Cobian Backup platform can help you make automatic backups for your directories and files. It can function as a service or as a regular application.
- Multiple backup groups: Cobian Backup performs different types of backups from full backups to differential backups and incremental backups. This solution can also run a dummy backup so you can use a backup as a task scheduler and apply scripts for testing purposes.
- Security features: Despite being one of the oldest backup software today, Cobian provides encryption features that are comparable to today’s software, with progressive industry-level encryptions like AES 128, 192, and 256. Cobian stores files in their actual or compressed forms, to make sure that they are encrypted.
- Completely free software
- Comes with a simple Interface
- Compatible with almost all Windows version
- Run as a service or an application
- Provides remote access
Cobian Backup is a free backup software developed for personal and commercial uses. The program is sustained through donations made by users via PayPal.
Robust Data Backup Solution With Excellent Hard Drive Cloning Functionality.
Iperius Backup is a robust backup and recovery software used for Windows systems, computers, and servers. It consists of several backup products for different Windows devices and hardware.
- Disk Image: This dynamic feature helps you make exact copies of your entire drive image that can restore the whole computer without having to reinstall the OS and programs. The backup is done without affecting any service or disrupting the user's work.
- Hard Drive Cloning: The Iperius drive image can also be used to clone a hard disk and transfer it to another disk.
- Automatic incremental backup: Iperius can automatically backup your files at regular intervals as specified by you. The incremental backups make sure that only new or changed files are copied after the first full backup.
- Online backup: Iperius has several features geared towards online backup for both uploading and downloading. You can easily create tasks to upload any file to Google Drive or any other FTP server. This feature also helps perform website updates automatically.
- Includes simplified licensing
- A lightweight but powerful solution
- Supports multiple devices
Iperius backup offers four payment plans: Desktop, Essential, Advanced, and Full.
- The Desktop plan offers hard drive cloning, Disk image, and other features for €59
- The Essential plan costs €69 covers all the desktop plan features with support for more Windows versions.
- The Advanced plan is priced at €219 and provides additional features like virtual machines
- The Full plan is priced at €299 and it includes all the features of all the other plans.
One of the Fastest Windows Programs for Automated Cloud Backup.
CloudBerry Backup is one of the fastest Windows programs that automates encrypted and compressed cloud data backup.
- Local Drive, Network Shares, and Cloud Storage: CloudBerry Backup is flexible when considering where the backup data is sent and stored. It lets you configure multiple storage solutions for different backups. Examples of storage locations include a local drive, a shared network but most use online cloud storage systems. Software like Google Drive and Rackspace can be set to receive the backed-up data and restore it if the need should arise. CloudBerry Backup takes care of the compression and encryption of your data to ensure secure storage and sends it to the online storage space you choose.
- Manual and Scheduled Backups: You get three options for setting the times and triggers for backups. If you want a manually triggered routine, then your best bet is the Backup Wizard. If you prefer immediate backup of files anytime they are altered, then there are options available for real-time backups.
- Version Control: You can retrieve your backups and restore your files, if the version history has been activated on these backups you can choose which version you need to restore from.
- Restore as a cloud virtual machine
- Data compression
- Military-grade encryption with customer-controlled keys
- Offline access to acceleration tools and storage pages
- Network Attached Storage (NAS) is used for backups and to maintain working user data
CloudBerry pricing is quote-based, although you get a free trial that gives you an idea of what this Windows backup solution is capable of without any financial commitment. Your quote depends on if you are going for a monthly or yearly payment and your company type. Additional services like premium support and advanced rebranding attract an extra fee.
An Amazing Backup Solution for Local Backups for Your Windows PC.
NovaBACKUP is a data protection software that allows small businesses to backup and restore important data across physical and virtual machines. It is designed to work with Windows OS to provide local and cloud data backups and disaster restoration image backups.
- Server File and Image Backup: The Server Image Backups are the backups of your entire drive partition in case you need recovery from a sudden data loss.
- Backup Automation: You can choose to automate your server backups to suit your business needs. Scheduling a backup job allows the system to run even when you are not there, as long as your system is on. You can set the frequency, include a holiday schedule, and run any scheduled job as needed.
- Email Summary Reports: Nova Backup sends you server backup summary reports through email. File Backup or Copy jobs send you an email when a backup job is completed depending on parameters, like “Always” or “Only if errors”. You can also choose to receive summary reports on a schedule, to make management of multiple backup jobs easy.
- Setup Assistance and Support: All NovaBackup subscriptions come with a feature called Setup Assistance so you are assured the software is configured in the best way for your environment.
- Easy to set up and use
- Includes comprehensive backup options
- Provides fast backup speeds
- Full and fast disaster recovery
- Comes with extensive support and service
- Free installation and setup assistance
- Local technical support
NovaBackup offers three payment plans based on the number of PCs that will be in use.
- The Single PC Plan costs $49.95 per year.
- The 3-user PC plan is the next up. This plan supports just three PCs per user and costs $79.95 per year.
- The 5-user PC costs $99.95 per year.
11. SpiderOak One
Excellent Combination of Backup Features and Strong Security.
SpiderOak One Backup is an amazing backup software that’s great for security and privacy. It also features some uncommon functions, such as file syncing and sharing capabilities.
- End-to-End Encryption: SpiderOak One Backup ensures that all your data is safeguarded before even leaving your system. Data is encrypted even when it's on the move and has been backed-up in their servers.
- Point-in-time Recovery: In the case of a ransomware attack on your system, One Backup’s Point-in-Time recovery feature will easily restore your data to its state prior to the malware attack.
- Available across platforms: It provides full support for Linux, Mac, and Windows. SpiderOak seamlessly synchronizes your data between all your devices, irrespective of your operating system.
- Supports file sharing: With SpiderOak One Backup’s Share Room feature, you can share files safely with others via a web-based interface. You can also send temporary, self-destructing links for access to a file in your backup.
- Offers strong privacy features
- Supports unlimited computers
- Excellent versioning capabilities
- Provides file-sharing and folder-syncing features
- Well-designed, robust-featured desktop application
SpiderOak pricing depends on the size of the memory you need and all the plans support unlimited devices. You also get a 21-day free trial. The plans are as follows:
- You get 150 GB at $6 a month or $69 a year.
- 400 GB at $11 per month or $115 per year.
- 2 TB at $14 monthly or $149 per year.
- 5 TB for $29 per month or $320 a year.
12. Carbonite Safe
Great Backup Software for Endpoint Protection.
Affordable and easy to use, Carbonite Safe provides small businesses with a powerful cloud and hybrid backup solution.
- Automated backup: The system copies files that have been altered or modified to optimize efficiency by backing up only the necessary files instead of filling your hard drive with several versions of the same files. If you happen to experience data loss, you can simply load the most recent saved version and continue with your work.
- Security dashboards: It comes with a series of clear, web-based dashboards that give you complete security management capabilities. You can handle notifications, policies, devices, and various other components of your organization’s disaster recovery plan.
- Server support: Carbonite Safe provides a server protection feature that supports up to 10 servers using one account.
- File recovery: The software can retrieve files that may have been corrupted, lost, or accidentally deleted. Since you backed up your files and other data to the cloud, the file recovery software helps you to restore these files to your system if you experience a data loss event.
- Endpoint protection: The software protects your computer as well as external storage devices; this is critical seeing as endpoint systems are usually the most vulnerable areas on most networks.
- Backup unlimited computers
- Backup NAS & servers
- Remote file access
- Good versioning policy
- Award-winning support
- Decent security features
Carbonite offers three plans, for one year or longer, all designed for home computers or small businesses without servers.
- Carbonite Safe Basic provides unlimited storage space and is priced at $71.99 for a year at $6.00 /month, $136.78 for two years at $5.70 /month, and $194.37 for three years at $5.40 /month.
- Carbonite's Safe Plus offers you an unlimited amount of storage also but goes further to support backup external hard drives, videos by default, and the ability to locally back up a complete system image of your computer. This is how it is priced: 1 year: $111.99 ($9.34 /month), 2 years: $212.78 ($8.87 /month), and 3 years $302.37 ($8.40 /month).
- Similar to the two smaller plans, Carbonite's Safe Prime gives you unlimited storage for your data. On this plan, you get access to the Courier Recovery Service in the event of a major data loss. It is priced at $149.99 per year at $12.50 /month, $284.98 for two years at $11.87 /month, and $404.97 for 3 years at $11.25 /month.
13. Genie9 Timeline
Top Backup Solution for Automatic Purging.
Genie Timeline is a time machine backup software for Windows that automatically, wirelessly, and continuously backs up all the files and folders on your machine with almost no user intervention, combining simplicity with file backup and file restoration.
- Continuous Data Protection: Genie Timeline supports non-stop backups of your photos, music, videos, documents, files, and folders for as long as your system is running. This allows for accurate detection of changes to files as soon as those changes are written to the hard disk. It monitors all file changes irrespective of their type and provides continuous protection for all files.
- Windows Support: Genie Timeline is compatible with any Windows version and integrated with Windows Explorer
- Missing Files Detection: Genie Timeline can detect and restore missing files that were mistakenly deleted with a right click of the folder or any location inside the folder.
- Multiple File Versions: You can go back to any former file version and restore your file to how it was in the past. It keeps versions for different periods.
- Timeline Virtual Drive: Genie Timeline integrates fully with Windows Explorer to familiarize the backup experience with Windows and let you simply use the timeline slider to go back in time to see what your data was like at that time. It also lets you view any file without the need to restore these files. You can drag-drop files to restore them to their original location or other locations. You also get a data-enhanced and fast search engine that will show results in an instant
- Plug & Protect: On its own, Genie Timeline will detect if wireless/wire backup devices are in range and automatically reconnect to keep you protected at all times.
- Automatic Purging: If your drive runs out of space, Genie Timeline will automatically clear out old versions of files to create more space.
- Computer Resource Friendly: The software is designed to work silently in the background while using minimum system resources.
- Well designed, stable backup software that is very easy to use
- Good Scheduling options are available
- Potentially unlimited file versioning (max GB or max number of days to retain)
- Support for cloud storage
- Backup reporting included
- Event-based scheduling (run backup on external drive is plugged in)
- Good value with a one-off payment of just $29
Genie Timeline Professional 10 pricing is determined by the number of devices that will be attached to the server.
- For 1 device you can get it for $59.95
- For 3 devices it is priced at $89.95
- And for 5 devices it costs $149.95
Key Features to Look for in Backup Software
Now that we have taken a look at the 13 best backup software, let’s shift our focus to the features you should be on the lookout for in these tools.
1. Streamlined Management Console
Your backup software of choice should simplify day-to-day maintenance by helping you perform all important tasks from a user-friendly control panel. It should provide everything you need in an easily accessible single location.
2. Scheduled Backup
Most times, performing a backup is as simple as selecting your data, picking an output destination, and tapping a button to create the job. Sounds easy enough, but this might not be the best way to work for the admin who has a lot on their plate.
This is where scheduled backups are useful. Instead of depending on memory and human intervention, admins can set their backups to run automatically at the intervals of their choosing. It helps save precious time and ensures no stone is left unturned.
3. Third-party App Support
If your organization makes use of special tools to manage email communications and databases, backup for those specific applications is also important. Your backup software vendors need to cover this aspect by adding support for popular business applications in their products.
Integration with third-party software will allow for easy configuration, backup, and recovery of the data managed by that particular system.
4. Data Security
The data stored away in your backups is as valuable as the data resting on your servers. Any good backup software will go the extra mile to protect your backups.
It is common for backup tools to include the ability to encrypt backup copies, establish password-based file protection, and restrict system access to administrators.
Data is open to a wide range of threats, so it is best to focus on a backup tool that offers a list of security features rather than one function.
5. Backup Verification
It is important to test your plans – especially when it comes to disaster recovery. It will be terrible to learn that your backup copies are corrupted when you’re trying to restore them after a crisis.
For additional safety, go for something with automatic backup verification. Most solutions achieve this by means of a checksum, which verifies the integrity status by checking file data for corruption before and after a backup job.
While it is not a substitute for testing, verification is a good first step on the road to recovery.
6. Comprehensive platform coverage.
You will need a backup tool that offers protection for all your environments, whether they’re virtual machines, cloud, or bare metals. If you’re using virtual machines, look for a product that supports all your hypervisors.
7. Comprehensive application coverage.
Go for a backup solution that is application-aware and can generate continuous backups with minimal downtime from the important database and other enterprise products.
8. Performance and scalability.
Your backup solution will have to backup data rapidly without overwhelming the network. It is best to go for solutions that make use of deduplication and compression to reduce the demand for backups placed on the network and storage.
9. Compliance with industry standards.
If you're picking a backup in a few rather sensitive industries then it will have to conform to laid-down regulatory requirements.
10. Rapid, flexible recovery options.
Search for backup software that instantly makes images available to reduce the time spent searching for the appropriate data. Also, opt for software that provides granular recovery options, which helps you match the scale of your recovery to the scale of your data loss.
11. Protection against malware.
Backups are your recovery strategy against malware, especially ransomware. You should look for backup software with in-built malware protection. Well-established backups can’t be compromised by ransomware.
How to Backup My PC?
The reason some people still don't take the time to back up their PCs is that backing up takes too much time and effort. Thanks to new backup software and services, this process can be as easy as transferring files from one folder to another.
If you are new to all this, here are a few simple options for backing up your data.
Cloning a Full Disk Image
There are various ways you can backup your entire hard drive but one of the best methods is to make a clone (image) of the drive. A clone is a copy of all of your data taken as a snapshot of the drive at the said moment. Imaging/cloning is a great way to back up a brand-new computer and there are several disk imaging software to help you do this.
Types of PC Backup
Backing up can be as simple as copying a file from a hard drive to a removable USB flash drive, for example. Redundancy, safety, and access are the needs that often dictate the kind of backup you should choose.
1. Select Files and Folders
If you need to only back up specific data, use platforms that let you pick and choose which files you want to save. You can choose to back up all your folders repeatedly to ensure that newly created or updated files get backed up at a later date.
2. Cloud Storage and File Synchronization Services
If you own more than one computer or device, you would most likely love to synchronize your files across these devices. And that’s what synchronization solutions are for.
3. Online Backup Services
Online backup is not an option anymore if you want to keep your most important files safe from cybersecurity attacks. Installing online backup software on a PC can help tell which files/folders to keep backed up, and it covers the other backup services in the background.
Which Backup Software Should I Get?
We cannot dictate the backup software that you will eventually choose as this depends mostly on your individual or business needs. But if you are still unsure about what backup solution to go for, here are a few suggestions:
- Choose IDrive for a comprehensive and user-friendly backup software that is great for online syncing.
- Backblaze is a great option for novice computer users.
- Acronis True Image is a robust-featured backup solution with an excellent archive tab.
- EaseUS Todo Backup is the best free online backup service for data restoration.
- CrashPlan for Small Business is an affordable enterprise-grade backup software for small businesses.