How to Combine PDF Files (on Mac and PC)
Do you have multiple PDF files that will be more useful for you if they were combined into one big PDF document? Combining multiple PDF files into a single file on your PC or Mac is easier than you might have assumed.
Learning how to combine related PDF files into a single document is a productivity hack that has multiple benefits for individuals and businesses. When you receive PDF files, they often come unorganized and you have to manage and sort them.
Combining multiple related PDFs into one file helps businesses tidy up their record keeping. For example, when investors request a company’s financial statements, the accounting department may have the financial statements in multiple PDFs. By combining the PDFs into one file, they can send a more presentable document.
How do you combine PDF files on Mac and PC? This guide will show you how to combine PDF files on both platforms, including the top PDF merger tools used for this purpose. You will also learn how to combine PDF files in Google Drive.
Let’s get started.
How to Combine PDF Files in Windows
Combining PDF files in Windows can be a tricky affair. Perhaps you want to reduce file clutter or send a single file to an individual. Whatever is your reason for seeking to merge multiple documents, it can be tricky to figure out how to combine them without any guide.
Using PDF Merger & Splitter
You need a third-party application to help you combine PDFs. Here is how to go about it using PDF Merger & Splitter by AnywaySoft as the third-party application of choice. It is free software available on the Microsoft Store for download.
- Step 1: Download any software application of your choice. In this case, PDF Merger & Splitter.
- Step 2: Start the app.
- Step 3: Select the ‘Split' option if you want to cut some parts of the file either for rearrangement or to add some and not the whole part of the file. Or select on ‘Merge' to put two or more files together without cutting or leaving out any part of either file.
- Step 4: Proceed to click ‘Add files'. You are allowed to pick any amount of files you want to merge. There are options to move or fix the files into desired positions. The preview option is also available.
- Step 5: Proceed to make other changes as you desire.
- Step 6: Click on ‘Merge', move on to naming your new file.
Using Chrome Extension
You can use Chrome Extension to merge PDF files online. Here are the steps you need to take to achieve this.
- Step 1: Go to the Chrome extension webstore.
- Step 2: Search for ‘Merge PDF' and select “PDF Merge – PDF Files Merger”
- Step 3: Click the ‘Add to Chrome' option
- Step 4: Click on the ‘Add extension' option that pops up.
- Step 5: Select ‘Merge files' then proceed to add the files to be merged.
- Step 6: Select ‘Download and merge'
- Step 7: Save the new file to your device.
Top Tools for Combining PDF Files on Windows
Combining PDF files on Windows is a smooth experience when you use the best third-party software. Some of the top tools for combining PDF files on Windows include Adobe Acrobat, Foxit, Soda App, PDF Combine, Smallpdf, and PDF Converter.
- Adobe Acrobat for Windows is a safe, secure, and precise app to merge PDF files.
- It turns files from the PDF format to other formats like Excel, Microsoft Word, JPEG, or PNG image formats, etc.
- It allows customization and editing of files.
- Adobe Acrobat can compare files, send and track files online.
- Adobe Acrobat offers free trials and other pricing plans like $22.99 or $12.99 per month.
- Foxit is used to split and merge files.
- It converts files from and to different formats.
- Graphics can be inserted.
- Editing tools are available to correct grammatical errors.
- Payment plans are $16.99 monthly/$199 yearly for Foxit PDF Editor Pro or $14.99 monthly/ $159 yearly for Foxit PDF Editor Standard.
3. Soda PDF
- Soda App can be used to merge PDF files into one.
- It connects to cloud storage and makes files on the cloud accessible.
- It is free to merge PDF files but has limited features on the free plan.
- Reliable and convenient to use.
- Soda PDF has three plan packages: $10 per month/ $48 per year for the Home plan, $15 per month/ $84 per year for the Premium plan, and $20 per month/ $120 per year for the Business plan.
4. PDF Combine
- PDF Combine Software can merge over fifty PDF files.
- It can autosave and securely merge PDF files offline.
- It supports all Windows platforms and is very easy to use.
- It is free to use.
- Smallpdf splits and merges files. It also converts PDF files to other formats and vice versa.
- It has the drag and drop option to convert, split and merge files easily.
- Smallpdf is free but costs $12 monthly for the Smallpdf Pro version which comes with more functionality than the free version.
- PDF Converter is a free online PDF merger.
- It combines multiple PDF files into one and converts from the PDF format to other formats and vice versa.
How to Combine PDF Files on Mac
Combining PDF files on Mac can be carried out in different ways. It could be through built-in tools in the device or the use of a third-party software application. Merging PDF files on Mac is easier than on Windows.
Using Quick Actions
- Step 1: Start the Finder on the Mac.
- Step 2: Click and hold down the ‘Command bar' to select the PDF files to be combined.
- Step 3: Select the files to be combined and click on ‘Quick Actions'.
- Step 4: Select ‘Create PDF' to combine the PDF files.
- Step 5: Proceed to rename the newly merged file.
- Step 1: Select a file under Preview. Click on view then under view, select thumbnails to indicate page thumbnails.
- Step 2: When combining two files, select page thumbnails to add another document. If a part of one file is to be cut out, select and hold the ‘Command keys'. Choose the page thumbnails to add the other file then release. To rearrange or delete pages from a file, proceed to tools. To rearrange, drag the page thumbnails to a new location in the sidebars. To delete, proceed on edit then delete.
- Step 3: In the case of combining two files, select the second file and open it. To cut a part of a file before combining, drag the selected thumbnails into the sidebar of the other file then release it in the desired location.
- Step 4: Save by selecting the file.
- Step 5: Export to PDF.
Using macOS Finder
The Finder creates and combines PDF files from the menu in its gallery. It allows you to preview the file.
- Step 1: Start the Finder on the Mac.
- Step 2: Hold the ‘Command key' down and select files to be combined.
- Step 3: Select the files in your preferred order.
- Step 4: Click on the ‘Create PDF' button that appears once you select more than a file to create a new file. You can proceed to edit or add more files if you want. Image files can also be combined this way.
Top Tools for Combining PDF Files on Mac
Combining PDF files on Mac is easy when you use the best third-party software. Some of the top tools for combining PDF files on Mac include PDFelement, Adobe Acrobat, PDFsam, Combine PDF, iSkysoft PDF editor, PDF Expert, and Smallpdf.
- PDF Element is a PDF editing application that creates and organizes files.
- Files can be customized as the file owner desires.
- PDF Element has pre-made templates that help to edit easily.
- Files are kept safe and secure by the password encryption available on the application.
- The payment plan ranges from $99.95 – $890.51 annually depending on the number of MACs.
- A free trial is available.
- Adobe Acrobat creates, combines, and edits files.
- Combines multiple documents, web pages, and converts other file types to PDF files.
- Pages can be rearranged, rotated, or deleted.
- Protects and adds passwords to PDF files.
- The payment plan is $12.99 per month.
- PDFsam is a free open source software made to merge, split and rotate PDF files.
- PDFsam is easy and reliable.
4. Combine PDF
- Combine PDF provides online PDF merger services.
- It combines multiple PDF files into one.
- It is very easy to use with no need to download the software or sign up.
- It is free to use.
- iSkysoft PDF Editor puts you in total control of your PDF files.
- Editing and customizing files are allowed at a fast and easy rate.
- This PDF Editor converts files from PDF to other formats and various formats to PDF format.
- The subscription plan ranges from $69 to $79 per annum.
- Smallpdf is used to create, edit, convert and share small documents.
- It is affordable and easy to use.
- Password encryption is available.
- Smallpdf compresses files, therefore, saving space.
- The payment plans ranged from $9 to $12 per month.
- It has a free trial as well as a free version.
7. PDF Expert
- PDF Expert is useful for reading and editing files
- It reduces large files to keep space.
- PDF Expert can create, combine, split and extract PDF files.
- PDF Expert costs $49.99 per year and allows a 7-days free trial.
How to Combine PDF Files in Google Drive
You can combine PDF files in Google Drive using Chrome and Google Docs.
- Step 1: Download the desired PDF merge Google Chrome extension to merge the PDF files or open your Google Drive account.
- Step 2: Select the files to be combined by clicking the ‘CTRL' option and hold the ‘CTRL' option down.
- Step 3: After selecting the desired files to be combined, click on the ‘Merge' option.
- Step 4: Save the new file to Google Drive by clicking on the ‘Save' option for Google Drive. Proceed to name the new file.
Use of Google Docs
- Step 1: Open Google Docs.
- Step 2: Click on the ‘file' option then proceed to ‘Downloads'
- Step 3: Select the ‘PDF documents(.pdf)' to convert the file to PDF format.
- Step 4: Go to the PDF file you are about to merge and open.
- Step 5: Click on the ‘Merge' option. The newly converted PDF will pop up.
- Step 6: Select the file, arrange it in the order you prefer.
- Step 7: Select ‘Insert' and save your new file with the ‘Save' option.
Top Tools for Combining PDF Files in Google Drive
The top tools for combining PDF files in Google Drive include PDF Mergy, Adobe Acrobat Online, and PDF Converter.
1. PDF Mergy
- PDF Mergy is another simple-to-use app.
- It allows you to combine as many files as you want.
- It is convenient and reliable.
- Adobe Acrobat Online is used to create a single PDF file from multiple PDF files.
- It stores and shares files with access across devices.
- It protects files with passwords and is used for the organization of files.
- Using the Adobe Acrobat Online services cost $14.99 per month
- PDF Converter creates PDFs from any file.
- It is used to split and merge files.
- It extracts texts from images and converts them to any file format.
- It protects files and manages the privacy of files.
When using Windows, PDF files can be combined by downloading your desired PDF merger software. You then proceed to select the files you want to merge, click on the ‘Merge' option. Then, save and name the new file.
Using Mac, putting multiple PDF files into one is easy. Mac has inbuilt tools for combining PDF files. They are the macOS Finder and Preview. On Finder, hold down on the ‘Command bar' and select the files to be combined. Select the ‘Create PDF' option to create the new file.
On Preview, follow these steps. First, press the ‘Command bar' option down. Next, choose the file to be combined. Then select the ‘add file' to include the other files to be combined. Save then export to ‘PDF files'.
To merge PDF file with Word Document, click on the ‘Insert' option then the ‘Object' option. Proceed to the ‘Create from file’ option under the ‘Object' option. Select the files to be combined and click on the ‘Display as icon' option. Select the ‘OK' option. The PDF files appear in the Word Document and can be viewed anytime with any PDF viewer.
Adobe Acrobat is a very popular software to combine files. The PDF merge software tools help create, share and update new files. It is very easy to use and supports the storage of files on the cloud, keeping all your files safe and intact.
PDFelement can be used by both Windows and Mac. The PDF merge software combines multiple PDF files as one, it also serves as a powerful PDF editor and converter. It saves time and possesses lots of customization options for users.
Smallpdf is another PDF file merger tool that combines two or more files into one. It is fast and very reliable. It also compresses files and minimizes the space they take.
PDF Converter is one of the best PDF merge software tools for combining PDF files in Google Drive. It edits, extracts, and customizes PDF files, and is also used to split and merge PDF files.
PDF Expert combines, splits, edits, and customizes PDF files. The PDF merge software tool converts image files to PDF as well as formats like Word Document, Excel, etc. It is convenient to use.
PDF Merger u0026 Splitter is one of the best PDF merge software tools for combining PDF files in Windows. It is an amazing software that extracts and combines PDF files. You are allowed to rearrange the files, edit and even preview before saving. It is free and also has an online version.