5 Best Barcode Inventory Software of 2023
Are you running a business and need to manage your inventory? Do you have multiple locations with different product types and want to keep track of them? If so, you need a barcode inventory system. To help you make the best decision, we’ve put together a list of the five best barcode inventory software solutions of 2023.
Inventory management is a critical aspect of any small business and can be pretty challenging to manage using manual data entry. This is where barcode scanning comes in handy. However, you need to keep track of several different barcodes depending on how your inventory is managed.
Barcode inventory software is a great way to keep track of your inventory without running the risk of human error, and can be very helpful in managing your business. There are many different types of software available, so it is crucial to find the one that best suits your needs.
If you're looking for the best barcode inventory software of 2023, you've come to the right place. Today, I will rank and review the five best barcode inventory software systems on the market.
Best Barcode Inventory Management Software Systems
Read on below to find out more about my top 5 picks for the best inventory management software systems:
Best Budget Inventory Optimization System
With its intuitive user interface and powerful features, Sortly is an excellent software for managing your inventory. It can help you to keep track of everything that’s in stock. This software allows you to scan items with a barcode scanner or through manual processes. As one of the world’s leading barcode inventory system companies, they have helped thousands of small businesses become profitable by increasing their business efficiency. Overall, I recommend Sortly to anyone looking for a handy barcode inventory system because it is user-friendly, offers excellent features, and is reasonably priced.Try Sortly
Sortly has been around since 2009, but it was re-launched in 2015 as a cloud-based platform. It provides users with a comprehensive web application that helps them manage their barcode inventory.
The web app offers all the functions required to run a successful business. Users can use the software to maintain inventory records, add new products to their database, perform sales transactions, generate reports, and more. The barcode software also includes many advanced tools to make your life easier.
- Unlimited Custom Fields: One of the most impressive features of Sortly is that you can customize the fields that appear on every web application page. You can use this feature for different purposes, like adding your domains to the product catalog or creating a separate section for your unique services. This also works well for those who want additional information, such as customer reviews and feedback.
- Unlimited QR Code Label Generation: Another exciting feature that Sortly offers is the ability to generate unlimited QR codes. You can use these codes to link products directly to their listings on your website or mobile apps. These codes can also attach essential product information, coupons, and discounts to specific products.
- API Access: Integration with third-party apps is a breeze with Sortly. There are several ways to integrate with Sortly, including custom applications, third-party integrations, and direct API calls. In addition to connecting your application, Sortly also supports the integration of Google Sheets, Excel, and Quickbooks Online.
- Unlimited Entries: When comparing Sortly to other barcode inventory systems, one of the most significant differences is that it doesn't limit the number of entries you can add. You can add as many items as possible, and Sortly will automatically create barcodes for each entry.
- Search & Reporting: Sortly offers two main types of reports. One type is a generic report that shows each item's price. This report can also show you how much inventory you have left, when the last time you ordered something from Amazon was, and more. The other type is a detailed report that lets you see exact quantities, pricing details, and more. This report benefits those who sell large amounts of items on Amazon.
- Alerts & Reminders: Another critical aspect of Sortly that you should know about is the alert system. When certain conditions are met, the system will notify you via email, SMS, or push notifications sent to your phone. For example, if you set up an alert for a product that is running low, you will receive an email telling you that the item needs to be restocked. You can also choose to set up notifications for when the price changes, a sale begins, or when the quantity drops below what you expect.
Sortly offers four plans to users: Free, Advanced, Ultra, and Enterprise. Pricing ranges between $29/mo and $89/mo. They also offer custom pricing to larger businesses with complex requirements.
- Offers budget-friendly inventory management software suitable for small to medium size businesses.
- It comes with a simple interface and can be customized to fit the needs of any business.
- Provides access to in-depth inventory information, like inventory levels, recent inventory movements, and inventory value.
- Easy integration with third-party platforms.
- Single sign-on makes it easy for you to keep track of your inventory on the go.
- Customer support is slow. It takes days to get an answer to a simple query.
- It does not offer extra-linguistic elements to add to the customizations.
Best Cloud-based Inventory Control System
I powerfully advocate using barcoding systems because they are so efficient and convenient. Zoho stands amongst the top three due to its ease of use and overall functionality. It offers plenty of features that other inventory management solutions don't, including the ability to scan both; three-dimensional and two-dimensional barcodes. The barcode scanning process is swift and easy, with no hassle or complicated settings to worry about. Overall, I highly recommend Zoho for small businesses due to its straightforward interface that makes it easy to use for anyone.Try Zoho Inventory
Zoho Inventory is a cloud-based barcode software solution designed to help businesses quickly manage any inventory by providing a centralized point of control.
As soon as you start the application, it walks you through the setup process very well and quickly. You can then begin managing your inventory and adding inventory items from anywhere on your computer. With the addition of mobile apps, you can use your mobile devices to manage your inventory.
- Centralized Inventory: This feature allows users to create an unlimited number of accounts and organize all inventory into separate tabs. Each tab can contain multiple categories of products, and users can assign permissions to specific users or groups. Users can see what each user has purchased and make bulk uploads of new products. This helps ensure that everyone knows precisely what is available in stock and what is not.
- Product Listing: All inventory items are organized alphabetically within tabs and subtabs. When you hover over an item, you can see its description and price, the date it was added, the quantity remaining, and whether or not it is sold out.
- Item Kitting: If you want to bundle several similar items into one package, you can use this function. Select the things you'd like to bundle together and click the “Add to KIT” button. All of the bundled items will now appear under the same tab. You can then edit any individual items and change the quantities if necessary.
- UoM Conversion: Users can take measurements and convert these units into UOMS (Units Of Measurement System). For example, if you're shipping boxes, you would need to know the dimensions of those boxes and their weight to calculate the shipment cost. Zoho Inventory provides a conversion tool that allows you to enter the dimensions of an object and get an approximate value based on its weight.
- Ecommerce Integrations: If you run a business online, Zoho Inventory can help you sell your products via eCommerce platforms such as eBay, Amazon, and Etsy. Just click the “eCommerce” link near the top of the application and follow the instructions.
- Zoho Analytics: Zoho Analytics is another helpful feature included in the program. It allows you to view the data you collect and analyze it to determine trends. For instance, you could compare the number of sales orders between two months and understand why the increase or decrease occurred.
- Barcode Inventory Management: It is effortless to scan inventory using Zoho Inventory. The only thing you have to do is open up the window and place the item onto the scanner. A red box appears around the scanned area, which displays the product's barcode and name. This method makes it much easier for the user to track different products because you can see exactly what you're scanning.
Zoho Inventory offers several plans along with a free program. The pricing ranges between $59/mo and $329/mo. New users also get access to a 14-Day Free Trial.
- Ease of use – there are no complicated settings to deal with, and the interface is easy to understand.
- Scalability – enables you to scale with your needs via multiple pricing plans.
- Custom workflows – provides powerful and straightforward ways to create custom workflows for your businesses.
- Flexible – Zoho Inventory is customizable and flexible enough to meet the needs of just about anyone.
- Security – offers stringent security measures to protect your personal information.
- The lack of a pick list makes warehouse picking a challenge.
- Does not provide streamlined integration with third-party platforms.
- Since it is a web application and requires constant connectivity, performance can sometimes be slow.
Best All-in-one Inventory Management Software
inFlow is one of those rare software solutions built by someone who understands the industry they are designed for. The company is built around customer satisfaction, which is probably why they have been able to stay relevant for so long. Their product has been updated several times since its initial release is also a testament to the team's dedication. They listen to their users and respond quickly when problems arise. I also like the way they've designed the interface. It's simple to use but powerful enough to handle most of the tasks of managing a large inventory. Overall, I highly recommend inFlow if you are in the market for a reliable barcode inventory system.Try inFlow
inFlow is all-encompassing barcode software that allows you to manage your entire inventory from start to finish. The interface is simple but powerful enough to handle most of the tasks of managing a large physical inventory. No matter your business type, you can benefit from this easy-to-use barcode software solution.
- Barcode and SKU Support: Most barcode products only support UPC, but inFlow supports everything from EAN to JEDEC to QRC codes. So no matter what you sell, inFlow can read it.
- Print labels with DYMO printers: You can print your labels using your printer or buy a DYMO label printer to save time. Make sure you have it connected when you first log into the dashboard. Otherwise, it won't work.
- Stock Tracking: inFlow tracks every single item that comes through the door through serial number tracking. This means that even if you sell hundreds of items per hour, inFlow will still know exactly how many there are.
- One-click PO generation: Once you've scanned your item(s), you can generate a purchase order automatically. There is no need to manually enter your sales information, which makes PO creation much more accessible.
- Bill of Materials (BOM): A Bill Of Materials is a document describing all the components used to create a product. This allows suppliers to send you price quotes and allows your customers to specify the exact parts required to build the product.
- Assembly Cost Tracking: Sometimes, you may not know how much it costs to assemble a product before receiving it. That's okay because inFlow does the math for you and lets you know exactly how much money you spent to put together that product.
- Multi-level Categories: inFlow has a multi-level category structure that lets you break down your inventory into different categories, making it easier to find exactly what you're looking for.
inFlow offers three pricing plans: Entrepreneur, Small Business, and Mid-Size. Pricing ranges between $79/mo and $439/mo.
- inFlow offers you an all-in-one intuitive inventory and order management solution to save businesses time and money.
- Regarding the onboarding period, training, and overall safety, inFlow is an excellent choice.
- It offers a free trial, so you can know if it suits you before any purchase.
- inFlow comes with a very intuitive UI that makes tracking and reporting incredibly easy.
- One among the industry-leading companies that provide cloud as well as on-premise solutions.
- It runs slowly when communicating with the server, causing a few moments of delay for certain features.
- inFlow currently only supports one scanner at a time.
- Coordination with specific l2C ERP systems can be problematic sometimes.
Best Wireless Barcoding and Inventory Management Software
Fishbowl is a popular barcode inventory software that provides businesses with accurate inventory tracking and monitoring capabilities worldwide. The program allows users to store their inventory for sale or purchase, create labels, send quotes for products, and monitor stock levels. I like that in addition to being available exclusively through the website, the program also offers a downloadable version for those who prefer not to use the internet. Overall, Fishbowl is a reliable barcode management system that allows you to organize your inventory and streamline your business operations efficiently. This is a great program to consider if you're interested in tracking inventory across locations.Try Fishbowl
Fishbowl is a web-based barcode management solution that helps you keep track of your inventory across multiple stores. This program allows you to track your merchandise easily and generate reports about your business activities.
The platform includes various features that will enable you to customize your setup and integrate the system into your existing workflow.
- Seamless Integrations: Connect Fishbowl with your POS system, accounting software, eCommerce platform, and more to streamline your business processes. The program integrates seamlessly with multiple enterprise resource planning (ERP) applications. Thus, you'll be able to access the same data from various systems within seconds.
- Developer Tools: Fishbowl offers powerful tools to develop custom modules and plugins that allow users to access the program's features. You can use Fishbowl's robust developer tools to create custom integrations and reports. The software provides detailed documentation, making it easy to start the development process.
- 100% Accurate Inventory Tracking: Fishbowl's intelligent inventory tracking system ensures that your inventory data is always accurate. The program automatically updates your records when items are added or removed from your stock. You can also use the software for equipment and asset tracking.
- Wireless Barcoding Technology: The software uses wireless technology that allows you to scan products and generate instant reports without being tethered to a computer. This makes tracking your inventory in real-time and identifying potential issues easy.
- Real-Time Inventory Management: With Fishbowl, you get real-time access to inventory management. The program allows you to track inventory levels, view product details, and generate reports. You'll also be able to set up alerts so that you're notified when your inventory levels are low. This way, you'll always know what's in stock and what needs to be reordered.
Fishbowl offers custom pricing, and you’ll have to contact customer support to sign up for their platform.
- Greater accuracy – Fishbowl’s inventory tracking feature utilizes RFID technology to ensure 100% accuracy during entry.
- The ability to track inventory in real-time helps businesses save time and money.
- Compatibility with various barcoding software makes it a versatile tool for businesses.
- Fishbowl offers a user-friendly interface that makes it easy to use, even for beginners.
- Cost control and subscription plan variation make it an affordable option for businesses.
- The onboarding process is slow and should be made quicker.
- It often freezes off and creates a bad user experience.
- The reports feature of the software is too old and needs a facelift.
Quick Inventory and Stock Management Software
As far as I know, there isn't another beginner-level barcode inventory management system that comes close to what Katana offers. The software is available as a web-based or desktop app, making it easy to access anytime and anywhere. Its ability to integrate into your existing CRM so that you can seamlessly connect to your customers and suppliers. I would say that Katana is one of the best barcode inventory solutions for SMBs. If you are looking for a cloud-based barcode inventory system, I highly recommend Katana.Try Katana
When we think about barcode inventory management systems, we often think about the ones that help us scan items manually and store them within our databases. But Katana takes things a step further by automating these tasks so that they don’t have to be done manually.
With Katana, warehouse management is simple. It provides an end-to-end traceability solution for your products, from raw materials to finished products. Both small and large businesses can use this barcode inventory software.
- Automated Barcode Scanning: Katana provides automated scanning of barcode labels and storing items in a way that allows you to retrieve the necessary records quickly. The platform also supports barcode hardware like Utek, Eltron, Cognex, etc.
- Live Inventory Management: Manually enter the data of every item you need to track. Or, you can scan the item and automatically pull the details from the database. Either way, you will find that Katana automatically manages your inventory.
- End-to-end Traceability: Track every aspect of the product from manufacturing to shipping. This includes everything from production planning to customer service.
- Production Planning: Set up automated workflows to ensure your company meets its monthly goals. You can even schedule recurring tasks to ensure that everything runs efficiently.
- Purchase Order Management: Keep track of your purchase orders and invoices. This includes the purchase order number and the status of each line item.
- Omnichannel Order Management: If you have a multi-channel strategy, then Katana can help you keep track of all orders. You can view all your past orders and shipments from a single dashboard.
- Contract Manufacturing: Create contracts with manufacturers to ensure you receive quality products. You can also monitor the progress of each contract to ensure that you receive timely deliveries.
Katana offers four plans: Essential, Advanced, Professional, and Enterprise. Pricing ranges between $129/mo and $799/mo.
- It offers an affordable and effective solution for businesses of all sizes that need to manage their inventory better.
- Easy navigation and a user-friendly interface make Katana easy to watch stock.
- Katana has fantastic customer service that answers all of your queries fast.
- Provides seamless integrations with notable e-commerce platforms such as Shopify, Zero, etc.
- Inability to track specific deliveries, which can make tracking logistics problematic.
- You cannot add custom fields such as supplier Drawing number references or SKUs.
- No offline mode: The software doesn’t come with a backup option, which means that should your server crash, you won’t be able to recover the lost data.
Benefits of Using Barcode Scanner Inventory Software
Barcode scanner inventory software is a lifesaver for businesses of all sizes. By automating the inventory management process, barcode inventory software can save your business time and money.
Here are some of the top benefits of using one in your business:
- Increased accuracy – When you use barcode inventory software, you can be sure that your inventory records will be accurate. This is because the software does everything for you, from scanning the barcodes to updating your records. No more manual inputting of data and no more mistakes!
- Save time – Using such an all-around barcode inventory system can also save you a lot of time. Automating the inventory process can free up your employees to do other tasks. And you can be sure that your inventory will be up-to-date at all times, so you won't waste time looking for items that are out of stock.
- QR code inventory – QR code inventory is a great way to keep track of your inventory without printing out barcodes. With QR code inventory, you can scan the QR code with your mobile device and gain visibility into your inventory levels. This is a great way to avoid shortages or overstocking.
- Save money – By eliminating the need for manual data entry, you can avoid the costly mistakes that can come with it. In addition, you'll be able to keep your inventory records up-to-date, making better decisions about reordering products.
- Mobile device support – Most of this software comes with mobile device support. You can use your smartphone or tablet to scan barcodes and update your inventory records. This is a great way to stay on top of your inventory while you're on the go.
Key Features of Inventory Management Software with Barcode Scanner Support
Like any other software, inventory management software with barcode scanner support has certain features that make it stand out. Here are some of the most important ones:
- Automatic inventory updates – One of the most important features of a barcode inventory system is the ability to update your inventory records automatically. This means that as soon as an item is scanned, the software will update your records accordingly. This is a huge time saver and ensures that your inventory is always accurate.
- Label design – Most inventory management software with barcode scanner support also offer label design features. This means that you can create custom labels for your products. It's a great way to make your products stand out from the competition.
- Expiration date tracking – You want to ensure that your inventory management solution is well-equipped to follow expiration dates. This is important for businesses that sell perishable items. With this feature, you can be sure that you always have fresh products in stock.
- Reporting – With this feature, you can generate reports on your inventory levels, stock turnover, and more. This information can be valuable in making decisions about your inventory.
- Customization – Another great feature of an ideal barcode inventory system is the ability to customize the software to fit your specific needs. Many software programs offer various options and settings that you can use to make the software work exactly how you want it to.
- Compatibility – One final feature to look for is compatibility. You'll want to ensure that your chosen software is compatible with your barcode scanner. Otherwise, you'll be stuck using a manual inventory system.
Barcodes are machine-readable representations of data that a barcode scanner can read. Barcodes encode location information, expiration dates, and other product information.
The two main types of barcodes include linear (1D) and 2D barcodes. Linear barcodes are the most common type of barcode. 2D barcodes can store more information than linear barcodes and are often used for tracking inventory.
Barcode scanners can help small businesses in several ways, including increased efficiency and avoiding shortages. Barcode scanners can also help track inventory, which is especially important for small businesses.
There are many ways to implement a barcode system for inventory control. One way is to purchase a barcode scanner and barcode labels. And the other is to use a smartphone with a barcode scanning app. You will need inventory management software to keep track of your inventory.
Create a Barcode System for Your Entire Inventory
Inventory management becomes even more potent with barcode inventory control. Small businesses can take inventory management to the next level using barcode scanners and an inventory management system.
The following options are great for anybody considering implementing a barcode inventory management system for their entire inventory:
All the above tools are excellent for inventory management and barcode inventory control. Try out a few and see which works best for you and your business needs!
Meanwhile, you can also check out these detailed guides on the subject: