12 Best Free Video Compressors to Reduce File Size Online
Professional video editors know the importance of compressing a video file to prevent them from taking up too much space on their system. To help you with that, here are our top five best video compression software.
Movavi Video Converter
Videos come in different sizes, and sometimes, you need to reduce the file size of a video drastically to be able to play it or store it on your system. In cases like this, you need professional video compressor software, making it easier to download and play on any device.
If you need video compression software but don’t want to spend money, various reliable free tools are accessible online. We’ve compiled the top 12 free video compressors online to make it easier.
Best Free Video Compressor Tools to Compress File Size Online
- Wondershare UniConverter
- Movavi Video Converter
Best Overall Video Compression Software
We named Veed.io the best overall free video compressor as it ticks all the necessary boxes for anyone who needs a video compression tool. You can compress your video file in a few minutes with a single click. We were especially impressed by its versatility, as it works with all video forms.
Veed.io is a well-known video editing tool that allows you to compress your files without signing up. Simply upload your video when you’re ready, and you can use the tools to compress video, convert video, and more. Veed.io also comes with a wide range of video editing tools, providing a complete package for video editors.
- Highly Versatile Compressor: The Veed.io online video compressor tool is compatible with various video formats, including MP4, MPEG, HD, AVI, and MOV. Editors can use it to compress the video size free on all devices and platforms. You can upload GIFs, Facebook videos, YouTube videos, MKVs, and WEBM files.
- Define Your Resolution: There is a wide range of tools available to editors who need to compress files, so you can define your parameters. It provides video resolutions, frame rate, Bitrate, and CRF.
- Wide Range of Video Tools: The video editing tool features many other features besides compression. You have a comprehensive video editing tool with a GIF editor, video converter, subtitles and transcription, and screen recording.
- Easy to use and customize video compression.
- It can convert video files.
- Instant use without any signing up.
- Many tools to edit multiple videos.
- The free plan is fully equipped.
- The free plan adds a watermark to your video.
- There are limits on video file size.
2. Wondershare UniConverter
Best for Efficiency Online and Offline
Wondershare UniConverter is a premium free video compressor that abides by all the necessary laws of video editing. It retains your video quality, is super easy to use, and you have a wide range of features at your disposal. Users will especially like that it supports over a thousand video formats.
Wondershare UniConverter, previously known as Video Converter Ultimate, is a reliable but essential open-source video compression tool that stands out for being highly efficient. As one of the best video compressor software has a simple interface without any extra features, making it easy for you to access the needed functions. This free video compressor is excellent for amateurs that need multiple tools at their disposal for video and audio files.
- Supports 1000+ Formats: Wondershare UniConverter comes with over a thousand video and audio formats, including MP4, MOV, AVI, MKV, WEBM, FLV, and VOB. You can compress videos free for social media sharing, email, or mobile devices with limited storage.
- Batch Processing for Video Converter: The video compression software is also fitted with a video converter and batch processing, allowing you to compress or convert video files simultaneously. You can save time and still retain video quality.
- Loaded with Social Media Features: Wondershare UniConverter is also great for those who need a video editor to help with their social media sharing. You can change and remove video background, edit watermark, edit subtitles, auto crop video, and smart trim video.
- Supports multiple video formats.
- Compatible with different devices and browsers.
- Video compressing without affecting quality.
- It can burn, record, and convert video files.
- It is fully equipped for social media users.
- Limited conversion speed.
- Paid plans are expensive.
Best for Simple and Intuitive UI
If you’re not looking for many asides from video compression and basic editing, then Clideo comes highly recommended. Its intuitive user interface and experience make it straightforward to use and work with most browsers and devices
Clideo is another one of the best online video compressor tools, with over four million users and hundreds of millions of video clips under its belt. Although it does not have a lot of additional or fancy features, it is secure and effortless to use. You can upload your files to the cloud and preview them before reducing video file size.
- Simple User Interface: When it comes to easy use, no video compression tool does it like Clideo. It offers a simple and uncluttered user experience that makes it easy to navigate. You can access the compression tool from the homepage and upload the file to compress the video size.
- Upload to Cloud: After reducing video file size, you can upload it to cloud storage services like Dropbox and Google Drive. The free software also supports multiple video formats like MP3, MOV, AVI, WMV, VOB, and some uncommon ones.
- Basic Video Editing Package: This is ideal if you don’t need advanced video editing. It comes with tools to merge, subtitle, crop, resize video, change video speed, and more.
- It is straightforward to use.
- It works with popular and rare video formats.
- Offers speedy compression.
- Easily upload videos to the cloud.
- Provides secure encryption.
- No advanced features are available.
Best for All-in-One Video Editing
We highly recommend Clipchamp for professional editors and creatives who need full-service video compression and video editing software. The tool is trusted by leading companies like Google, Microsoft, Dell, Comcast, Zendesk, and others.
Clipchamp is an excellent open-source video compressor tool that supports various resolutions and formats. The free video compression software features professional editing tools like templates, stock footage, and sound effects. You can preview before you compress video files and expect the video quality to remain the same.
- Quick Batch Processing: With Clipchamp, you can compress multiple videos simultaneously. In the free plan, you get a limited number of videos you can compress at a time, but the paid plans provide unlimited compressions. This is the same to convert video files.
- Directly Upload to Social Media: After compressing your video, you can directly upload it to social media platforms. These include YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, TikTok, Pinterest, and more. It also comes with different resolution qualities and runs safely on your browser.
- Advanced Features: There are many more video editing tools available on Clipchamp, including preset settings, templates, camera recorder, stock library, text to speech, green screen, brand kit, and more. Creatives can easily edit videos with the free tool.
- Speedy batch processing for video conversion and compression.
- No limit on the video file size you can upload.
- Compatible with popular video file formats and resolutions.
- Allows for uploading on social media.
- Features professional video compression tools.
- The free plan places a limit on video compression.
5. Movavi Video Converter
Best for Fast and Unlimited Compression
The best feature about Movavi is its speed in compressing videos, as it’s usually frustrating to wait for a slow process. We were also impressed by the preset settings, making it easy to use. But, you need to be online to use the tool properly.
The Movavi Video Converter has great free video compression software, primarily known for being quick and retaining video quality. It is effortless to use with a built-in editor and is designed to make teamwork and remote work between professionals easy.
- High-Quality Video Compression: Movavi Video Converter provides impressive video compression, as it can even support the 4K video file size without reducing the quality. It also supports over 180 file formats for compressing video clips and works online and offline. This is why it’s the best video compressor software for fast and unlimited needs.
- Easy to Customize Settings: The video compression software comes with preset functions, so it’s easier for you to get started. But if you’re good with editing, you can decide to customize them instead. The video compress works with a drag and drop interface for easy use, and you can choose from the many compression rates.
- Dependable Video Converter: Movavi is mainly a video converter, which means that it supports different file formats for your multiple videos and other media files. Its free video converter offers as much speed as the compressor and is easy to use.
- Lightning speed for video converter and compressor.
- Extensive settings for video compression.
- Supports a wide range of file formats.
- Advanced features are easy to use.
- Multiple effects for video editing.
- Not built for professional editing.
Best for Large Video Compression
VideoProc is the best free video compression software for large video files, especially when you want to compress without affecting the quality. With the free software, you have a video converter and compressor 4K, and large video size files, and even if you have a slow laptop, it works well without making your video crash.
- Very Fast Compression for Large Files: With VideoProc, you can compress 4K, HD, SD, 3D, and 360° VR videos without affecting quality. The video compress software is fitted with hardware acceleration technology which offers 47x compression than regular editing platforms.
- Wide Range of Settings: Professionals and creatives have access to multiple tools, including conversion, cutting, merging, adding effects, changing speed, and more. You can even resize video clips. It is fitted with a screen recorder, subtitle extractor, and video downloader.
- Batch Video Converting and Resizing: With VideoProc, you can convert video files or resize them simultaneously. It also offers over 420 output formats and profiles for your videos.
- Very easy to start with.
- Highly versatile compressor and editor tool.
- Many input and output format types.
- Quick processing power for supporting large files.
- You can use it on different platforms and devices.
- Downloads are slow because of large files.
- The free plan is limited to five-minute files.
Best for Privacy and Security
The Media.io is one of the best free video compression software that helps you reduce video file size in three easy steps. You can upload the video you want to compress from your local hard drive, choose the resolution of the compressed video file, percent, and file format, and compress. The user interface is uncluttered and straightforward, and it is fitted with video conversion features.
- Privacy and Security: Your video files are not kept by the video compression software so that privacy concerns can be put to rest. Instead, it removes all compressed and converted files within 24 hours. The video compress platform is also highly secure, protecting your files from hacking.
- Supports Different Media Files: The Media.io can compress videos, images, and audio files. You can compress video size to Dropbox and share it with your email and other social media platforms. As one of the top free video compression apps, it is compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux.
- Quick Upload and Download: Within seconds, you can upload video clips, compress videos and download the new version. Although it cannot compress video files of more than 100MB, it works quickly in getting the job done. You can convert videos with the software too.
- No watermark with the free video converter and compressor.
- Quick upload and download.
- Ideal for over a thousand file formats.
- Allows direct upload to social media.
- It has your privacy and security in mind.
- File size limit of 100MB.
- You can’t import from the cloud.
Free Video Compression Software for Versatile Media Files
Anyone looking for a free and great video compression tool will be impressed with FreeConvert. As one of the best video compressor software, this brilliant tool will impress you with many features to compress and convert videos, but it’s also straightforward. Although it has paid versions, video editors can enjoy the compressor tool for free.
- Multiple Media Types Supported: With FreeConvert, you’re not limited to compressing videos. It allows you to compress PDF, JPEG, PNG, images, MP3, GIF, and WAV files.
- Reliable Video Converter: You can also use the video converter to convert other files and more from one video format. It even features a unit, archive, or vector converter. FreeConvert is fitted with video tools for cropping and trimming.
- Wide Range of Output Formats: The video compression software supports many output formats. You can choose one video codec out of many, video size, compression process, and other settings.
- Easy to compress a wide range of video files.
- It has a quick download speed for videos.
- No ads to distract you when converting.
- It is fitted with a top-notch video converter.
- Many settings to customize your video.
- There are limits on the free version.
Best For Freelancers
Flexclip is another professional video editor on our list, but it comes with free video compression software. It’s the best video compressor software for freelancers and small business owners that need reliable editing. The powerful tool supports any video format and has different settings for compressing a video clip.
- Powerful Tool with Many Video Formats: You can reduce video file size in popular video formats, including MP4, M4V, WMV, MKV, MOV, AVI, and FLV. You can change the video resolution, select export video format, and preview the export video size as you compress.
- Quick Export Download: The export speed of the Flexclip tool is three times faster than a basic online video compress tool. You can get your compressed video and download it within a few seconds.
- Security Guarantee: Flexclip guarantees the security and privacy of your videos when you use their tool to compress the video size. Since they have no access to your uploaded files, they remain safe.
- Easy to use with an uncluttered interface.
- Quick exporting speed.
- Supports a wide range of video formats.
- You can change your compress settings.
- The company has no access to your uploaded files.
- The free version is minimal.
Best for Android Users
Another best video compressor app that we recommend is KeepVid, which comes with a desktop version, and Android devices can download the software. The all-in-one video compress software is loaded with video editing features, including video and audio compression and conversion. The drag and drop functionality makes it easy to use the video compression software.
- Compress Videos for Email and YouTube: You can easily compress video files for email and YouTube with KeepVid. With a single click or drag and drop interface, you can compress videos and send them to email and YouTube platforms.
- Seamless Browser Support: KeepVid comes with excellent browser support, so although you can download the apk on your Android device, you can also use it on Chrome and Firefox browsers. It’s great for those that need free video compressor apps while on the go.
- Quality and Privacy Guarantee: The software can compress your videos without losing quality. Not only this, but it protects the privacy of its users and does not store any information.
- Compress videos for social media directly.
- Drag and drop interface for intuitive use.
- Compatible with desktop and Android platforms.
- Supports batch compression.
- It retains the video quality after compression.
- You can’t browse YouTube videos in the section of the online video.
Best for Automatic Compression of Video Files
YouCompress is a highly intuitive open-source video compressor software that allows beginners and amateur editors to do the job. You don’t need to download the video compression software, but it’s great for online use and lets you upload and download video files online. This best video compressor software also allows you to compress audio tracks, photos, and documents.
- Automatic Configuration: The highlight of YouCompress is its intuitive interface, as all the settings and configurations are automatic. It automatically chooses the best parameters for your video and compresses it while retaining quality. So, if you don’t know how to use compress video software, this tool is an ideal choice.
- Allows for Unlimited Files: There’s no limit to how many video files you can upload and compress on this free video editing tool. It can compress MP4, MP3, PNG, JPG, TIFF, XLS, ODT, WAV, MOV, PDF, JPEG, GIF, DOC, PPT, and APK.
- Quick and easy video compression.
- Supports multiple and unlimited files.
- Compressed videos are not watermarked.
- Security and privacy are a priority.
- You can’t set the parameters if you want to.
- No file sharing features.
Best for Different Compression Methods
XConvert is a web-based online video compressor that allows you to reduce video quality in three easy steps. It allows you to upload your files from a computer or cloud storage service like Google Drive and Dropbox. Then you select the output video codec.
- Different Compression Methods: The primary way that XConvert provides versatility is through its different methods to shrink video. You can compress video size by percentage, variable or constant bitrate, and preset quality. Remember that the slower the compression method, the more quality is retained.
- No Limitations: There are no limitations to how you can reduce video file size and settings you can access when compressing videos. Plus, the upload speed is quick, so you get your compressed file quickly.
- Other Video Editing Features: With XConvert, you also have access to a few other video editing tools, including compressing MP4 and JPEG and merging images to PDF.
- Speedy upload time on cloud storage.
- Multiple compression methods for convenience.
- No video size limitations.
- You can adjust the dimensions of the output video.
- Supports only MP4 format.
Video Compression FAQ
Using a free video compressor aor video editing tool, you can compress a large video file for free. To reduce video file size of a large video of 100MB or more, VideoProc comes highly recommended.
This depends on your needs, but the best video compression software on our list is Veed.io. It’s essential to check if a tool meets all your boxes before using it to compress videos.
You can shrink video without losing quality with a top-notch video compressor. Only suitable compressors can reduce the video size but retain its quality.
The video compression process assesses the pixels in each video frame and bunches the similar pixels together in big blocks. Due to this, the tool can compress the size.
The main reason why MP4 files are large is the video resolutions. Larger resolution and high-quality videos are usually massive.
The best free video compressor for Mac is the Media.io. It is compatible with different devices and can compress different video file formats.
Which Video Compressor Software Should I Pick?
Video compression can be done quickly and within a few seconds, as long as you have the right tool. You don’t even have to pay to access high-quality compressing software.
The best free video compressors usually come with many other editing tools, which is excellent for those who need top-notch video editing software. Depending on your needs, you might need a tool that supports various media files and other settings.
Our complete guide covers all the best free video compression software, allowing you to save money and take care of editing simultaneously. Although there are many video editing tools, these top 12 tools narrow down your choices.
Here are the top free video compressors:
Movavi Video Converter
If you need some more resources to help with your decision, here are other reviews and guides that will come in handy.
- Best Video Editing Software
- Best MP4 Video Editors
- YouTube to GIF Converter
- Best GIF Editors and Makers