7 Best Free Inventory Management Software for 2023
If you want to organize your inventory effectively without cost, consider the best free inventory management tools for tracking your inventories. Here are our top 5 picks.
The best inventory management software may have a free pricing plan. Whether this software is used separately or with a point-of-sale (POS) system, its features are largely designed to make tracking products, tools, and assets an easy task.
This article will discuss the best free inventory software available in the market with advanced inventory tools, perfect inventory control, and other inventory-related activities.
Let's get started.
List of Best Free Inventory Management Software
Best Overall Free Inventory Management Software
Sortly comes with a built-in barcode and QR scanner that works even in offline mode. This software tool allows you to scan incoming and outgoing inventory even when the signal on your phone app is either low or not present. Sortly will automatically sync as soon as you're back online, making it always possible to work irrespective of bad network signals.Try Sortly
Sortly is an effective cloud-based inventory management platform that offers multi-location tracking, barcoding, activity tracking, and audit trails.
- Functional on Every Device: Sortly works seamlessly on any device. This feature makes work easier and also increases productivity. Sortly functions on all devices, from iPhones and Androids to tablets and traditional PCs.
- Constant Alerts and Updates Stock Level Prices: This inventory management software eliminates the stress of conducting regular manual audits. You get constant updates when your stock level is running low, the necessary adjustments before you experience irrecoverable loss.
- User Friendly: Sortly is one of the most user-friendly inventory management solutions available in the market. You do not have to be tech-savvy to operate the software effectively.
- Built-in barcode scanning (supports QR codes)
- Highly rated mobile apps for iOS and Android
- Manage multiple warehouses
- The software works effectively offline, allowing you to scan incoming and outgoing inventory items even without internet access
- Free plan
- 14-day free trial
Sortly has various pricing plans perfect for various budgets of specific organizations and certain relevant features for each available plan. Apart from the free plan, there are three other paid pricing plans.
Here are the four levels of Sortly’s pricing plans.
- The Free Plan is perfect for individuals, startups, and new businesses. This plan has features that accommodate one hundred entries, up to eight photos for each item, a user license, one custom field, a 24/7 help center, and emergency email support.
- The Advanced Plan offers affordable tools for small businesses that need to manage their inventory and assets. The advanced plan capacity can accommodate 2,000 entries, three user licenses, ten custom fields, and unlimited QR code label generation.
- The Ultra Plan is perfect for growing business. It is embedded with the capacity to accommodate 10,000 entries, five user licenses, 25 custom fields, priority email support, and unlimited QR code & barcode label generation.
- The Enterprise Plan is ideal for organizations that require extra security, control, and support. This plan has unlimited custom fields and scheduled phone support.
Scalable Inventory Software for Small Business Owners
Zoho Inventory is perfect for small businesses. The inventory management software offers free shipment tracking and warehouse management features and lets you print packing slips and generate shipping labels. Its mobile app feature makes it a perfect option for users that work on the go.Try Zoho Inventory
Zoho's Inventory is an affordable and easy-to-use inventory management software solution used by thousands of companies, such as DHL, UPS, FedEx, Canada Post, and Australia Post.
- Inventory Tracking: This free inventory tracking software enables users to track all their sales activities, from basic actions like adding contacts from generated leads and prospects to creating sales orders and invoices and managing sales on online marketplaces.
- CRM: With its built-in CRM functionality feature, you effectively manage customer relationships to ensure that you keep your existing customers and convert potential leads to loyal customers.
- Integration: Zoho Inventory integrates with third-party tools such as CRM, accounting, and payroll software.
- iOS and Android Inventory Management App: This free inventory management solution has a useful mobile app feature that allows users to carry out their duties on the go efficiently.
- Inventory Control: Zoho Inventory features a centralized digital system that constantly updates critical inventory information across all sales channels. This process is automated and happens the moment sales are made.
- Excellent mobile app
- eCommerce integrations
- Shipping management tools
- Free plan
- 14-day free trial
Zoho Inventory offers different pricing plans and a free plan tailored to meet various businesses' specific needs.
- The Free Plan is suitable for individuals and small businesses. This plan accommodates up to 2 users, eCommerce integrations, and Integrate 1 Shopify store. With this plan, you can track shipments and warehouse activities.
- The Standard Plan is ideal for small businesses. This plan accommodates up to 3 users, 2 warehouses, and 1 Shopify store.
- The Professional Plan is best for small to mid-sized businesses. This plan handles 7,500 orders per month, integrates 2 Shopify stores, and supports serial number and batch tracking.
- The Premium Plan is relevant for different businesses and offers the best value for money. Features include a vendor portal, eCommerce integrations, integration of up to 5 stores, and serial number and batch tracking.
- The Elite Plan is suitable for more advanced users, with the capacity to support up to 15 warehouses and 15 users.
- The Ultimate Plan is suitable for large organizations.
Best Inventory Management Software for Manufacturing Firms & Repair Shops
ABC Inventory is among the best free inventory management systems on our list, with relevant features useful for budget-conscious repair shop owners or manufacturers with simple requirements to carry out their activities. This free inventory software could be more user-friendly; it requires some expertise to code successfully and uses it in a way best suited for you.Try ABC Inventory
ABC Inventory is open-source inventory management software with various features relevant to manufacturing firms and repair shops for specific inventory activities.
- Barcode Scanning: This free inventory software allows you to scan items' barcodes for easy identification, record keeping, basic inventory tracking, and warehouse management.
- Export Data to Other Formats: Users seamlessly export acquired data to other platforms for easy understanding and application in different formats such as Microsoft Excel, Word, HTML, and Text:
- Create Purchase Orders: The purchase order management feature makes it easy to effectively purchase sales orders and ensure that the inventory is properly managed.
- Repairs, leasing, and asset management
- Effective for machine assembly orders and parts consumption
- Multiple languages and currencies
- Supports kitting
- Stock alerts
ABC Inventory software offers a free plan with no limitation on the number of workstations and records in the database. However, this free plan does not provide phone, email, or online support.
To enjoy other premium features, you can upgrade to the premium Almyta Control System software, of which ABC Inventory is a free subset.
Best Integration with QuickBooks Online
Boxstorm offers a detailed suite of modules that enables users to take control of every facet of their inventory ecosystem at a particular location. Users enjoy free QuickBooks Online integration and free barcode scanning for easy inventory tracking.Try Boxstorm
Boxstorm is a free inventory management platform that offers its users a total online inventory and order management system. This free software is relevant to small and medium-sized organizations in various industries such as manufacturing, retail, and e-Commerce platforms.
- Integrations: Boxstorm integrates with the most popular ecommerce platforms, such as Shopify, Big Commerce, and Stripe. This feature makes the online sales process and purchase orders stress-free. This software tool integrates with QuickBooks Online for a streamlined bookkeeping solution to help users manage inventory effectively.
- Purchasing: Inventory managers optimize the purchasing process and ensure they always have the right stock with automated minimum stock quantities. You view purchase orders and receive tickets directly from the software's dashboard, which makes it possible to streamline and optimize the purchasing process effectively.
- Locations: This inventory management software supports multiple warehouses with multiple locations for advanced companies. With Boxstorm warehouse management features, you effectively assign sales and purchase order locations and successfully move items between locations for maximum location control.
- Mobile App: Boxstorm has a mobile app feature that enables barcode scanning directly from the user's mobile device. This inventory software allows scanning in/out, cycle counting, and transfers are supported, while real-time updates allow you a constant overview of every facet of your inventory.
- Mobile version is extremely useful
- Easy to use
- Multi-user access reduces redundancy, as anyone can check on an item
- Visually pleasing interface
- Multiple pricing tiers
- Helpful customer support
Boxstorm has both a free plan and a paid plan. The paid version has more advanced features than the free Plan.
- The Free Plan accommodates just one user and location, 25 items, and 100 transactions.
- The Pro Plan offers you unlimited location, unlimited items, and unlimited transactions, and it can accommodate one user, but with $9, you can add more users.
Best POS System for Small International Businesses
SalesBinder offers inventory management services potent enough to accommodate unlimited users and excellent features to aid inventory managers in various locations in their inventory-related activities. Its pricing plans are affordable for great service experiences.Try SalesBinder
SalesBinder is an efficient inventory management software that manages over $140 billion worth of inventory in over 130 countries.
- Inventory Management: This inventory management software enables users to properly access their supply levels in real-time and receive notifications and low stock alerts when specific inventory levels get low.
- Barcode Scanning: SalesBinder is designed to work with any barcode scanner to help keep track of stock and monitor sales channels.
- Purchase Orders: This feature makes sending customer orders to your suppliers to replenish your available stock a seamless task.
- Multiple and Unlimited Locations: SalesBinder allows you to import different inventory lists from each location and have that reflected in your SalesBinder account.
- Available in over 130 countries
- Customer Relationship Management feature included
- Barcode documents and items
- Affordable payment plans
SalesBinder has both a forever free plan and paid plans. The paid plans are in various categories depending on their features and the attached prices.
- The Forever Free Plan allows users to manage up to one hundred records and gives room to upgrade as your inventory expands and business grows.
- The Starter Plan is ideal for new businesses.
- The Bronze Plan accommodates multiple users and increases record size for business growth.
- The Silver Plan is ideal for small businesses that require integrations.
- The Gold Plan is a special plan with unlimited integrations. This plan is suitable for businesses with large inventory needs.
Best for Unlimited Items and Users
StockPile stands out among the various free inventory management tools because it is still the only software perfect for managing inventory without a paid plan.
- Free Inventory Tracking Software: StockPile allows users to track all their sales activities effectively, from basic actions like adding contacts from generated leads and prospects to creating sales orders and invoices.
- Barcode Scanning: With its inbuilt barcode scanning feature, users easily and quickly know the status of an item stored in the warehouse and identify various items through a QR scanner or smartphone
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM): This inventory management software has CRM functionality that greatly benefits the organization, such as contact, payment history, credit limits, and notes.
- No user or product limits
- Designed specifically for small businesses
- Intuitive user interface
StockPile has a free forever plan. Inventory managers, ecommerce businesses, and various organizations use SockPile to manage multiple warehouses and inventory items.
However, because it is free forever, StockPile allows paid advertisements on the platform to cover the application's cost.
Best for Service Industries With Small Inventories
RightControl inventory management software has various features designed to aid inventory managers, such as tracking stock levels, processing new sales and purchase orders, and creating invoices for billing.
- Automate your Financial Processes: RightControl is great for finance process automation, such as setting up your various credit terms, setting default surcharge percentages for card payments, and setting store-accepted payment methods and card types.
- Sales Orders: This inventory software makes creating sales orders seamless to ensure proper tracking and monitoring. You add sales orders to the inventory databases with just one click.
- Booking Inventory: The RightControl inventory management software is embedded with an efficient booking process that effectively handles a large variety of inventory, from single items to multiple items and direct items.
- Includes shipping and warehouse management features
- Excellent CRM tool
- Barcode generator
- Ideal for service industries
Apart from the free version, other paid plans are available for organizations to carry out their inventory-related activities effectively.
- The Lite Plan is free, has great CRM systems, and is best for service industries with a small amount of inventory to track.
- The Solo Plan is ideal for small businesses and individuals with little inventory management needs.
- The Pro Plan is great for more advanced users and handles the inventory needs of many businesses.
- The Workgroup Plan is suitable for businesses with large inventory management needs.
How to Choose Inventory Management Software
Choosing the best inventory management software can take time due to the many choices available in the market. Although there are many inventory management software, only some are suitable for your inventory needs.
Consider these factors before choosing inventory management software.
1. Ease of Use
Ensure the inventory system you select for your business is easy to use for your employees. Many inventory management systems have technical features that may prove difficult for your employees to use with the necessary training adequately.
Choose an inventory management software that provides sufficient training resources and robust support for your employees.
Before choosing an inventory management software, consider your inventory needs and create a list of must-have features that suits the outcome you desire in your business.
Here are the top inventory management features to consider before choosing an inventory management tool.
- Inventory Forecasting: An inventory software system should be able to store past sales data to help predict or forecast demand and make the company plan for future stock requirements.
- Reordering: This feature ensures orders and stock-keeping units (SKUs) can be created and managed so that you can reload inventory faster and easier.
- Live Syncing: A live central stock figure should be kept in one system. This live central figure should reflect accurately across all warehouses and sales channels.
- Barcode Scanning: Sync the system with the barcode scanning to ensure products can be easily identifiable and trackable.
- Return Processing: This feature separates written-off and returned orders so you can add them to the stock.
- Automation and Rules: The inventory system should create stock rules to show different available amounts for individual sales channels and locations.
- Integration: All the necessary sales channels, shipping carriers, POS systems, and accounting software should be connected to the inventory software system.
- Suppliers: This feature organizes all the suppliers and vendors in one place so they can be easily contacted if there is a demand or a need to change, create or speed up an order.
- Reports: The system should organize data to provide insight and analysis on sales, products, and warehouses to help improve future product decision-making.
- Stock Notification: When a product hits its pre-defined reorder point and needs replenishing, the system should ensure notifications and alerts to signify this.
- Multiple Warehouse: The system must manage inventory across several warehouses, stores, and locations.
- Bundles: This feature accurately maintains a central inventory figure even when products are grouped and sold in kits and bundles.
- Cycle Counts: The software should assign inventory counting tasks weekly to the warehouse team to ensure that stock is always kept up-to-date with little disparity.
Your inventory management system must match the timing of your business. It must keep you from slowing down in any way and must be within your pace.
Adequate support is crucial when searching for a suitable inventory system for your business. Ensure the software provider of choice provides adequate support so that you can easily contact a customer rep for help if something goes wrong.
Although much free inventory management software does not support users, some free options provide some level of support, usually in the form of documentation, FAQs, and a strong online community.
Since this software is critical to the proper function of your business, you need to find one built on the latest technology and driven by innovation.
The best inventory management software should be actively developed, have its bugs constantly fixed, and should be updated on regular bases.
There is no best solution for keeping track of inventory for some businesses. Most inventory management systems are built for one business type or industry-specific feature so they can perform at their utmost efficiency. Despite their efficiency, they come with their various cons.
However, Sortly is considered the best overall inventory management software for small businesses to manage inventory and supplies. It is ideal for different businesses and industries for construction, retail, manufacturing, service, distribution, and commerce.
You can keep track of your inventory free by using open-source inventory management systems. These are available online and are easy to access and use. The best open-source inventory management system is StockPile.
What is the Best Free Inventory Management System?
Finding the best free inventory management system is a challenging task. Many free options do not provide rich inventory management features and restrict access to them, such as limiting the number of users and inventory items for tracking.
Because of the importance of effective inventory management, it is essential to choose the best free inventory management software that provides rich features that meet your business needs.
This guide reviewed the best free inventory management software in 2022. Here are our top free inventory management systems:
If you need more information about inventory management to help you make an informed decision, here are some insightful resources for you:
- What is Inventory Management?
- What is Inventory Control?
- What is Inventory Management Process?
- Best Warehouse Inventory Management Software
- Best Tool Inventory and Equipment Tracking Software
- Ultimate List of Inventory Management Statistics