Top Software and IT Companies In India (Best of 2022)
Emerging technologies have caused notable digital transformations worldwide and improved human life significantly.
Technological innovations that are changing the global technological landscape, such as the Internet of Things (IoT), virtual reality, artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning, robotics, and cloud computing, are led by top software and IT companies.
This article will highlight the top IT firms in India and their tremendous impact on society.
Let’s get started.
List of Top IT Companies in India
India has evolved beyond the agriculture industry and is making huge waves in technology and the digital world.
It is one of the best countries to start a business thanks to its large population and ready market, business-friendly laws, low operational costs, and eye-catching government initiatives.
Microsoft is one of the largest organizations, ranking at number one in most IT companies’ lists and one of the largest Indian IT companies.
Bill Gates and Paul Allen co-founded the organization. Its popular products include Windows, Microsoft Office, and the Internet Explorer search window dominates the market. Every professional has used it at least once to carry out peculiar activities.
Microsoft’s headquarters is situated in Redmond, Washington (USA). The tech giant has over 180 thousand employees worldwide, and more than 50% are based in the US. Microsoft headquarters in India is located in Hyderabad, Telangana.
TATA Consultancy Services was established in 1968 by the TATA Group. In India, TCS is the highest ranking firm and rated 64th in Forbes World's Most Innovative Companies.
TCS headquarter is located in Mumbai. Most of the firm’s employees are based in its Chennai campus. TCS employs over 500 thousand people globally, mostly in India residence.
TATA Consultancy Services provides various services, including IT consultancy and IT services.
Cognizant was founded by Kumar Mahadeva and Francisco D'Souza in 1994. Its headquarters is based in the United States, New Jersey.
This company provides IT services to help people adapt their current businesses, operating, and technical models to the fast-changing advanced technology.
Cognizant employs more than 3.3 lakh (a hundred thousand) people globally, and its services include information technology, outsourcing, and business consulting services.
Google ranks high in the IT industry and is among the five tech behemoths among other tech companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook, and Apple.
Larry Page and Sergey Binn founded Google in 1998, with its headquarters in California, United States.
Google is among the top Information Technology companies in India, with its headquarters in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
The company provides various products and services, such as software, online advertising, a search engine, cloud computing, and hardware. Google employs around 1.4 million qualified people worldwide.
Cisco Systems is one of the known tech giants founded in 1984 by Leonard Bosack and Sandy Lerner, with its headquarters in Silicon Valley, California.
Its Indian headquarters is located in Bengaluru, Karnataka. Other Indian offices are in Gurgaon, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Kolkata, and Hyderabad.
Cisco Systems offers high IT services and relevant products, including telecommunications equipment and networking software & hardware.
The company focuses on Internet of Things (IoT) devices, energy management, cyber security, domain security, life sciences, and healthcare.
Cisco is one of India's major IT service providers and the world’s biggest communications and equipment company, with a market capitalization of USD 194.94 billion. The company employs around 80,000 people worldwide.
Accenture started as a technology and business consulting division of Andersen Consulting (an accounting company). Clarence DeLany founded Accenture in 1989, an Irish multinational firm with its headquarters in Dublin, Ireland.
The company employs 5.3 million individuals globally, and 1.5 million of those employees are based in India. Accenture is a Fortune 500 company with 91 Fortune Global 100 clients.
Accenture is an information technology company specializing in business processes and consulting.
IBM is a New York-based American multinational corporation that ranks high on the best IT businesses list. The IT company is known to have the largest workforce, with about 3.45 million employees globally.
International Business Machines (IBM) Corporation offers a wide variety of software products and IT services and regularly evolves and expands to supply the needs of both current and future clients.
Capgemini is a french based IT company with its headquarters in Paris. It is one of the world’s most popular labels and top IT companies in India and beyond, with operations in more than 50 nations worldwide.
The IT company was founded in 1981 in Grenoble, France by Grenoble, France. With its rich standing in the technology sector, the company has about 3 million employees globally.
Capgemini offers various services, including outsourced, consultation, and professional services. Its headquarters in India is in Pune, Maharashtra.
Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) was formally called Hewlett-Packard and was founded in 1939 before it was split into two different enterprises, HP Enterprise and HP Inc., in 2015.
The organization was initially founded in 1939 by Bill Hewlett and David Packard. HPE offers IT services and relevant solutions that support various IT services such as Nimble Storage, Cloudline, Aruba Networks, etc.
Hewlett Packard Enterprise is a multinational firm located in Houston, Texas (USA). It promotes resilience and proactivity among its employees to ensure they are not left behind in an evolving environment.
The company employs about 60,000 people globally, with its Indian headquarters in Bangalore.
10. HCL Technologies
HCL Technologies is a popular Indian multinational organization providing information technology consulting and services. It has its headquarters located in Noida, India.
The organization started in 1946 as a part of the HCL enterprise and later became an incident organization in 1991 and also joined the software services market that same year.
Through digital technology transformation, HCL helps global enterprises re-imagine and transform their business.
HCL Tech employs about 168 thousand employees, who are mostly Indians. The company offers various services such as application development, engineering, systems integration, business process outsourcing, and R&D.
Tech Mahindra Ltd. is one of the companies under the Mahindra Group that offers BPO (Business Process Outsourcing) and IT services such as outsourcing and consulting.
The company effectively represents the connected world by providing relevant customer-centric information technology experience to improve people’s lives.
Tech Mahindra Ltd. was founded as a technology outsourcing joint enterprise between British Telecom and Mahindra & Mahindra in 1986. It is recognized as a market leader in IT services.
The Indian headquarters is situated in Pune and employs above 125 thousand individuals globally. Tech Mahindra Ltd. provides services in 100 countries and advocates environmental awareness by restricting single-use plastics on all campuses globally.
Wipro Technologies plays a major role in the IT sector by offering Information Technology, consulting services, and Business Process Outsourcing (BPO). Mohamed Premji founded Wipro Technologies in 1945.
The organization is one of India’s top hiring organizations, employing many college graduates yearly. It employs a total of 1.97 million individuals globally.
Wipro Technologies’ headquarters is located in Bengaluru, Karnataka. The IT company is a private limited company that offers consulting and business process services, information technology services, etc.
In 2016, Wipro was divided into two firms: Wipro Enterprise, a private limited company, and Wipro Limited, a publicly listed corporation.
13. Infosys Pvt Ltd
Infosys Pvt Ltd offers solutions to all its clients through business process outsourcing, software development, and business process consultation.
NR Narayana Murthy and a group of other professionals founded Infosys Pvt Ltd in 1981 in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
Infosys' employment policy encourages gender diversity. The company has more than 254 thousand individuals as employees globally, and 36% are women.
Intel is a multinational technology company formally known as NM Electronics, which was founded in 1967 by Gordon Moore and Robert Noyce. The name Intel is derived from Intelligent Information.
Intel’s headquarters is located in Santa Clara, California, and is known as the world’s largest manufacturer of semiconductor chips. Beyond this, intel exports microprocessors to top computer manufacturers such as Lenovo, HP, and Dell.
Informatica is a prominent software development organization with its headquarters in Redwood City, California, United States. It is one of the biggest software companies in the world and has made waves in various counties.
The company specializes in data integration and cloud data management. Its Indian offices are located in Mumbai, Bangalore, and Hyderabad.
Larsen and Toubro Infotech Ltd (LTI) has been a major player in the IT sector since its inception in 1996. It is one of the top digital solutions and a global technology consulting firm that has assisted more than 360 clients in excelling in a converging world.
LTI's Mosaic platform is functional in 30 countries and assists organizations in speeding up their digital transformation by encouraging social, social, analytics, IoT, mobile, and cloud journeys.
The company also offers cybersecurity services to drive business outcomes, enable enterprise digitalization, create innovative IP partnerships, and build business products and platforms.
17. Mindtree Ltd
Mindtree Ltd was formally called Born Digital, started in 1999, and is now a part of the Larsen & Toubro Group Company.
The global technology service and consulting organization assists business people in achieving competitive advantage through combining scale and agility.
Mindtree Ltd uses its deep domain expertise to make sense of digital complexity, break down silos, and launch innovative projects to the market quicker for more than 300 corporate customer engagements.
Redington started in 1993 and has become one of India’s renowned IT companies.
The IT firm grew from just one brand, product category, and market to a high-achieving firm of $6.7 billion and a supply chain solutions provider for more than 200 international brands in the mobility and IT sector.
Redington has a notable presence in more than 30 developing markets.
Best Global IT Companies in India
Here is a list of the top global IT companies in India
Product Based Companies
Every product-based company is motivated by its plans to launch products that have good market value and can supply the needs of its customers. For a product-based IT company, quality is king.
Here is a detailed list of product-based IT companies in India.
- Adobe Inc. creates and distributes software products such as designs, photography, multimedia, and animations. John Warnock and Charles Geschke founded Adobe in 1982 and have their Indian offices in New Delhi, Bangalore, and Noida.
- Amazon was founded in Bellevue, Washington, on July 5, 1994, by Jeff Bezos. It focuses on e-commerce, cloud-native services, digital streaming, and artificial intelligence. The company’s India offices are in Bangalore, Mumbai, Chennai, Pune, and Gurgaon.
- Amdocs was founded in 1982 in Missouri, the United States, by Boaz Dotan and Morris Kahn. The company focuses on media, financial services, and communication software and has its Indian offices in Mumbai, Pune, and Gurgaon.
- Facebook is a social networking site recording over 2.80 billion active users in 2020. Mark Zuckerberg founded Facebook in February 2004. Its headquarters is located in Menlo Park, California.
- Google focuses on product advertising techniques, digital marketing, search engines, cloud computing software, and hardware. Sergey Brin and Larry Page launched Google on 4 September 1998 in Menlo Park, California, United States. Googleplex is google’s headquarters in Mountain View, California, with its Indian offices in Gurgaon, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Kolkata, and Hyderabad.
- Microsoft is involved in consumer electronics, operating systems, and software. Redmond, Washington, US, is where Microsoft’s headquarters is situated. Bill Henry Gates and Paul Allen founded the company in 1975. Over 8,000 individuals are employed in India offices.
- Hewlett-Packard (HP) manufactures Hardware Products with customers in various sectors like public, health, education, and Information Technology. Bill Hewlett and David Packard launched HP on 1 January 1939 in Palo Alto, California, United States.
- Informatica is a software development company focusing on cloud data management and integration launched in 1993 by Gaurav Dhillon and Diaz Nesamoney. Its headquarters is located in Redwood City, California. Informatica office locations in India include Mumbai, Bangalore, and Hyderabad.
- Intel means Intelligent Information. The organization was founded on 18 July 196 in Mountain View, California, the United States, by Andrew Grove, Gordon Moore, and Robert Noyce. Intel produces semiconductor chips and microprocessors used in PCs. The Indian offices are located in Bangalore and Hyderabad.
- McAfee was launched in 1987 by John McAfee. The company's headquarters are in Santa Clara, California, United States, while the Indian offices are in Mumbai and Bangalore. McAfee manufactures digital security tools such as anti-virus packs for computers and mobile devices.
- Paypal started in December 1998 in Palo Alto, California, United States. Peter Thiel, Max Levchin, Ken Howery, Luke Nosek, and Yu Pan founded Paypal. The company's headquarter is in San Jose, California. Paypal emphasizes avoiding traditional money orders and cheques but advocates online payment systems. The Indian offices are in Bengaluru, Chennai, and Hyderabad.
- Salesforce is focused on tasks, issues, and customer management. The company was founded in February 1999 in California, United States, by Marc Benioff and Parker Harris. Salesforce has its headquarters in San Francisco, California. The Indian offices are in Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, and Gurgaon.
- VMware is an American virtualization innovation and cloud computing organization launched in 1998 in Palo Alto, California, United States. Diane Greene, Scott Devine, Mendel Rosenblum, Edouard Bugnion, Edward Wang all founded VMware. The Indian offices are located in Bangalore, Chennai, and Pune.
- Intuit was founded in 1983 in Palo Alto, California, the United States, by Scott Cook and Tom Proulx. The company’s headquarters is settled in Mountain View, California. Intuit has its office in Bangalore, India.
Service Based Companies
- Tata Consultancy Service (TCS) was founded on 1 April 1968 by Faquir Chand Kohli and J. R. D. Tata. TCS has a market value of $169.2 billion and is ranked as the largest multinational Information technology Indian company. It provides engineering, consultancy, and business solutions to top Indian business organizations. TCS is registered as BSE, formerly Bombay Stock Exchange, and in India as National Stock Exchange.
- Infosys was launched in 1981 in Bengaluru, Karnataka. N.r. Narayana Murthy, Nandan Nilekani,K. Dinesh, N. S. Raghavan, S. D. Shibulal, Kris Gopalakrishnan, and Ashok Arora founded Infosys. The company’s market capitalization is valued at $ 47.7 billion. Infosys is one of the prominent service-based companies in India.
- Redington India Ltd is ranked as India's fifth-largest multinational IT company; it was founded in 1993 by R. Srinivasan and R. Jayachandran. The company’s headquarters is located in Tamil Nadu, India. Services provided include the Internet of Things (IoT), Robotics, Augmented and Virtual reality, Big Data Analytics, Automation, Artificial Intelligence, and Machine Learning.
- HCL Technologies is a services company that offers a holistic multi-service delivery to financial services and manufacturing clients. The company was launched on 12 November 1991 by Shiv Nadar and Arjun Malhotra. The company's headquarters is situated in Noida, India.
- DTTL or Deloitte is one of the notable multinational services firms. The company provides global financial services, consulting, risk advisory, audit, and assurance services. DTTL was founded in 1845 in London, the United Kingdom, by William Welch Deloitte. The company has over 300,000 workers in 150 different countries. Its Indian offices are in Hyderabad, Bengaluru, Mumbai, and Delhi.
An IT company is a business organization full of employees who are experts in creating, managing, and maintaining technology-oriented services and solutions.
Among the two IT companies in India, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) is recognized as the biggest IT company in India regarding its revenue. The company has a market cap of $149.69 billion.
Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) is the number one IT company in the Indian market regarding productivity, industry revenue, and market capitalization.
The company is a “cognitive-powered, consulting-led, integrated portfolio of business solutions, technology, and engineering services and solutions” owned by TATA Group.
The second largest IT company in India is Infosys, founded in 1981 and has more than 228,000 employees. Its headquarters is in Bangalore, Karnataka, India. The organization has a market cap of $80.74 billion.