15 Best Flowchart Maker & Online Diagram Software of 2023
Flowcharts are useful tools that businesses can use to provide visual clarity for instant and effective communication, and effective analysis and coordination.
They are also great tools for project management. You can use flowcharts to present ideas, keep your workflows and communication organized, and map your project from start to finish.
Drawing flowcharts manually is time-consuming and energy-draining. A better alternative is to make a flowchart with a flow chart creator, which provides the tools and functionalities you need to create charts and graphs.
Not all flowchart software is the same and suitable for your needs. The best flowchart software provides core design features such as predefined objects and free flowchart templates.
In this article, you will learn about 15 of the best flowchart makers and online diagram software.
Best Overall Flowchart Generator with the Most Seamless Flow Chart Creation Features
Zen Flowchart is one of the best flowchart makers that offers you a clutter-free workspace with no sidebars and floating icons. This platform is trusted by over 1.6 million users worldwide, including Google, Spotify, and Apple,
- Intuitive Features: You enjoy intuition in both its user interface and workflow, enjoying one-click capabilities for creating workspaces, linking these workspaces through smart connectors, and applying effects to texts, colors, and lines.
- Exporting and Sharing: Download your creations as PNG files, publish a live document that automatically updates as you make changes, and share to other external platforms.
- Templates: Customizable templates are also made available to you for fast flowchart creation. These templates are split into different categories which include process flowcharts, organizational flowcharts, system flowcharts, sitemaps, algorithm flowcharts, and sales process flowcharts.
Zen Flowcharts operates within three pricing schemes: the free plan, the pro plan, and the team plan.
- The free plan gives you access to all features and download options.
- The pro plan equips you with unlimited nodes, unlimited documents, unlimited cloud storage, and priority email support, among others.
- The team plan equips you with unlimited editors, shared team documents and folders, and team management features.
Try out Zen Flowchart’s free plan to get started.
Top Flowchart Maker with Vast Variety of Stock Images and Design Elements
Visme is a flowchart maker you can trust that gives you easy flow diagramming capabilities through its drag and drop interface. This software is patronized by over 10 million users worldwide, including IBM and Intuit.
- Templates: This flow chart creator provides you with customizable templates, symbols, connectors, and other design elements to make your flowcharts stand out.
- Customization: You enjoy fully customizable flowchart capabilities that let you customize every aspect of your flowchart to make it exactly how you want it. You have access to millions of stock photos and icons to choose from and brand kitting options.
- Exporting and Sharing: Flowcharts are either downloaded as image files, embedded on a webpage directly from the creator, or assigned live links. You also get to save your flowcharts on the cloud through integration with file-sharing and cloud storage platforms such as Google Drive and Dropbox.
Coming as both monthly and annual subscriptions, Visme's flowchart creator is offered through four plans: the basic plan, the personal plan, the business plan, and the enterprise plan. You save 30% on annual plans.
- The basic plan is free to use and provides access to 100 MB storage and limited templates.
- The personal plan is best for individual use and provides full access to templates and design assets.
- The business plan is ideal for managing brands and comes with download formats, brand kits, and team collaboration features.
- The enterprise plan is suitable for medium to large organizations and comes with advanced security options and determined by quote.
Try out Visme’s free basic plan to get started.
Easy Flowchart Maker with VisualScript SDK For Extended Functionality
SmartDraw is an easy-to-use and powerful diagramming program that offers you intelligent flowchart formatting capabilities, helping you automate your flowchart creation by just clicking on simple commands.
- Editing: This flow chart creator automatically adjusts your flowchart concerning spacing, alignment, sizing, and color schemes as you add or remove steps.
- Integration: SmartDraw operates with different external programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Docs, and other Google Workspace applications. It also works with Confluence and Jira and allows you to share your workspaces through shared team folders and generated links.
- Tools: You enjoy access to free customer support services through email, thousands of templates and symbols, True CAD-like drawing abilities with standard engineering scales, and a VisualScript SDK for extended flowchart creation capabilities, among others.
SmartDraw's flowchart creation services are available to you through three subscription plans: the individual plan, the team plan, and the site plan.
- The individual plan is best for single users.
- The team plan supports a minimum of 5 users and offers team administration control and premium support features.
- The site plan offers you single sign-on, multiple shared folders, and custom company theme features.
Best Flowchart Software with Intuitive Automation Feature and Live Team Tracking Options
Creately is an online flowchart maker that provides you with a simple drag and drop interface and automatic drawing capabilities to visualize your processes and workflows.
- Templates: You have access to thousands of custom-built flowchart templates and professional color themes, as well as intuitive video conferencing and live mouse tracking options to collaborate with your team members in real-time.
- Automation: Alongside drag and drop actions for easy workflows, Creately equips you with intuitive automation features. The flowchart generator automatically recognizes your flow and adds the relevant connectors as you visualize your processes.
The flowchart maker is available to you through four monthly and annual subscription plans: the free plan, the personal plan, the team plan, and the enterprise plan.
- The free plan is suitable for those just getting started and offers limited storage, basic collaboration, and community support.
- The personal plan comes with additional import, export options, and email support.
- The team plan comes with advanced collaboration features and priority support.
- The enterprise plan is determined by a quote and accompanied by advanced security and customer support services.
Try out Creately’s free plan to get started.
Fast Flowchart Maker with Advanced Admin Controls
Trusted by top brands like Google, BMW, and Amazon, Lucidchart is a reliable and easy-to-use flowchart maker to create flowcharts within minutes.
- Drag-and-Drop Functionality: You are presented with a simple user interface with drag-and-drop functionality and cloud-based workflows for automatic saves and easy access to your flowcharts from anywhere and at any time.
- Team Collaboration: With intuitive team collaboration options, you know who is actively working on a diagram and have access to the history of comments, shares, and revisions to properly monitor, manage, and streamline team workflows.
- Integration: Through integrations with Visio, Gliffy, and OmniGraffle, you easily import your existing files into Lucidchart from these programs. Microsoft is also one of its many integrated platforms, meaning you get to easily add context to your diagrams in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Control: Admins also maintain centralized control of the entire workflows of team members, setting permissions as needs change.
Lucidchart’s free plan is accompanied by three paid subscription plans: the individual plan, the team plan, and the enterprise plan.
- The free plan offers basic integration and collaboration features.
- The individual plan offers unlimited editable documents and full access to templates.
- The team plan comes with advanced collaboration and integration features and basic admin controls.
- The enterprise plan comes with advanced admin controls, SSO, and advanced data and automation features, among others.
Try out Ludichart’s free plan to get started.
Top Flow Chart Generator with Community-Generated Plugins for Vast Functionality Possibilities
Figma is an online flowchart generator that provides you with a library of editable flow chart templates and “drag-and-drop” design elements to easily and quickly generate flowcharts.
- Sharing and Team Collaboration: This flowchart tool is entirely based online and allows you to easily share your flowcharts with multiple people to either view or collaborate in the editing process.
- Plugins: You enjoy access to Figma’s community plugins, which include an Autoflow capability for automated flowchart generation.
- Templates: Available templates are categorized into process flowcharts, simple flowcharts, systems flowcharts, and organizational flowcharts.
- Export: You can embed your flowchart into other tools like Asana and Dropbox Paper, export in PNG and SVG formats, or share your diagram through a link with anyone on the internet.
Alongside a Free plan, Figma presents you with its flowchart maker through two paid plans: the Figma professional plan and the Figma organization plan.
- The starter plan is free forever and supports unlimited personal files and collaborators.
- The Figma professional plan offers unlimited files and projects, sharing permissions, team libraries, audio conversations, and team collaboration features.
- The Figma organization plan comes with enterprise IP/data management, centralized admin and billing, and advanced security features, among others
Try out Figma’s free starter plan to get started.
Simple Flowchart Maker with Dedicated Symbols for UML, ERD, and Process Flow Diagrams
Moqups is a web platform trusted by Microsoft, Intel, Cisco, and Amazon that makes it easy for remote teams to interactively create flowcharts and other types of diagrams in real-time through live cursors, chats, and comments.
- Drag-and-Drop Editor: With drag-and-drop editing options, you quickly and easily insert diagram shapes to visualize any flow, system, process, or idea you are working on.
- Cloud-based Storage and Access: This flowchart maker is also cloud-based, keeping all your activities saved and in sync, so you work from anywhere and have access to your diagrams at any time.
- Export: Flowcharts are instantly shared as either PNG or PDF files, through links, or with an accompanying preview.
- Extensive Library of Flowchart Symbols: Moqups also provides you with a comprehensive library of industry-recognized flowchart symbols for UML, Use Case, ERD Model, and Process Flow diagrams.
- Intuitive Tools: Smart and intelligent connectors automatically move, resize, and rotate shapes to keep your diagrams tangle-free and a Sticky Swimlanes feature allows you to easily designate responsibilities, assign tasks, and track progress.
Moqups’ flowchart maker is available to you through a free plan and three paid plans.
- The free plan offers 1 project (limited to 300 objects) and 5MB of storage.
- The solo plan is ideal for individuals and comes with a “view-only guest” option.
- The team plan is perfect for startups and comes with real-time collaboration and advanced permissions.
- The unlimited plan is best for organizations and comes with unlimited teams, single sign-on (SSO), email domain allowlist, and enhanced access controls, among others.
Try out Moqups’ free plan or 30-day free trial to get started.
Best Flow Chart Creator that Offers Very Flexible Canvas and Editing Options
Focusing on simplicity and flexibility, Sketchboard's online flowchart tool lets you generate your online flowcharts with ease, saves your time, and keeps the workflow of multiple team members properly streamlined.
- Security and Real-time Collaboration: Alongside advanced real-time collaboration options, Sketchboard offers you high-end privacy and security as well as infinite canvas options and capabilities.
- Design Elements: You have access to a wide variety of built-in shapes and icons, more than 400 in number, as well as the possibility to add your own images to make your flowcharts more personalized.
- Customization: Sketchbook helps you maintain easy and dynamic connections between shapes, offers you a customizable background, and equips you with customizable drawing styles and options.
You have access to Sketchboard’s flowchart maker through four monthly/annual plans: the solo plan, the team plan, the business plan, and the enterprise plan.
- The solo plan is suitable for one user.
- The team plan supports 2+ users and provides 1 GB of storage per member and a board password sharing option.
- The business plan supports 5+ users and is suitable for businesses with multiple teams.
- The enterprise plan is best for enterprises with custom needs.
Top Flowchart Software that Offers Extended Microsoft 365-Based Features
Microsoft Visio is a flowchart maker that is available to you through web and desktop applications and offers you extended Microsoft 365-based features.
- Templates: This flowchart maker presents you with a vast library of premade customizable templates, starter diagrams, and objects to visualize your processes. You have access to more than 250,000 shapes, additional templates for the desktop version, direct finger or pen input options, and automatically generated organizational charts from data sources like Excel, Exchange, or Azure Active Directory.
- Microsoft 365 Integration: Microsoft Visio extensively integrates with Microsoft 365, offering you enterprise-grade security and privacy options like Information Rights Management (IRM) which is useful while users collaborate.
- Accessibility: This flowchart creator comes with a series of accessibility features to aid individuals with one disability or the other. These features include a narrator, an accessibility checker, and high-contrast support.
Visio is available to you through two paid plans: the Visio Plan 1 and the Visio Plan 2.
- Visio Plan 1 offers only its web version and 2GB of cloud storage
- Visio Plan 2 comes with additional Microsoft 365 integrations, a desktop version with more comprehensive features, and extended collaboration options.
Try out Microsoft Visio’s 30-day free trial to get started.
Online Flowchart Generator with Intuitive Version History Editing Options
InVision is an online flowchart tool that allows you to create diagrams quickly, with the main focus on creating flowcharts for customer experience flows, process maps, or marketing campaign flows.
- Customization: You copy and paste the pre-build elements into your workspace and make customizations using diagram stickers.
- Collaboration: Through its freehand option, get to call your team members to collaborate with you. Collaboration options allow you to co-draw, write, and comment on the same canvas in real-time and across geographies.
- Version History Editing Options: You collect votes on projects through emoji reactions, set permissions for guests and clients, and have the option of viewing and reverting to previous versions of your work.
- Integration: InVision also offers integrations with external platforms like Microsoft Teams, Slack, Sketch, Photoshop, and Asana.
Alongside a free plan with limited users, InVision’s flowchart maker is available through a pro plan and an enterprise plan.
- The free plan is free forever and suitable for individuals.
- The pro plan is best for cross-collaborative teams and comes with up to 100 active users allowed and unlimited private spaces.
- The enterprise is ideal for organizations with advanced needs and comes with advanced team management and security features, and allows for an unlimited number of active users.
Try InVision’s free plan to get started.
11. Adobe Spark
Best Flowchart Tool with Exclusive GIPHY Elements and Auto-Resize Feature
Adobe Spark, in addition to its many other functionalities, serves as a tool for creating flowcharts for work, school, infographic materials, or personal use.
- Templates: You are equipped with thousands of professionally designed templates split across categories based on platform, task, aesthetic, mood, or color, so you easily find one that suits your purpose and create your charts as quickly as possible. Template fonts are customizable.
- Design Options: Brand kits allow you to auto-apply your brand logo, colors, and font. With thousands of free images to browse and choose from, you never run out of personalization options.
- GIPHY: Adobe Spark also provides you with exclusive design elements from GIPHY, which include animated stickers and texts.
- Resizing: An auto-magical resize feature helps you choose the right size for every social platform you intend to share your charts with. You get to download your flow charts as image files for later use.
You have access to Adobe Spark’s flowchart creation services through two plans: the free plan and the premium plan.
- The free plan offers basic design features you can use to get started at zero cost.
- The premium plan offers you access to Adobe Spark’s templates, libraries of tools, and design features.
Try out Adobe Spark’s 90-day free trial to get started.
Free Flowchart Maker with High-Quality External Integrations for Easier Workflows
Dedicated to providing ample security for your activities, Diagrams.net serves as a professional diagramming tool providing you with powerful features to create and manage your flowcharts.
- Integration: Support for Gliffy lets you import diagrams from it and, through integrations with Github, you also get to edit your flowcharts directly from the platform. You enjoy integrations with Office 365, Google Workplace (G Suite), Sharepoint, OneDrive, and Dropbox, among others.
- Team Collaboration: You also embed diagrams in WordPress as SVG and enjoy remote team features to collaboratively plan, design, and track projects.
- Customization: Tags are available to easily select, hide and display related shapes and connectors.
Diagram.net is downloadable for free, with its source code available for developers.
Best Flowchart Software with Highest Collection of Design Elements
Canva offers you an easy-to-use flowchart maker accompanied by customizable professionally designed templates and the option of creating over 20 other professional types of graphs and diagrams.
- Vast Library of Designs: This flowchart generator equips you with drag-and-drop tools for easy editing, as well as a library of over 2 million backgrounds, illustrations, shapes, and other design graphics and elements.
- Customization: You also enjoy a customizable layout for more comfortable workflows and an “Animate” feature to control the way your flow chart appears in a presentation.
- Collaboration: Canva provides collaboration options that allow you to set permissions to either view only or allow edits.
- AutoSave: As a cloud-based tool, your works are automatically saved and you have access to them from anywhere and at any time.
- Sharing and Exporting Options: When you are done creating your flowcharts, you either download them in the multiple supported formats, directly embed them on presentations and reports, share to online platforms like Facebook, Slack, and LinkedIn, or share your flowcharts through emails.
Canva offers you three pricing plans: the free plan, the pro plan, and the enterprise plan.
- The free plan offers you a free plan with over 250 thousand templates, photos, design objects, and collaboration capabilities. Canva remains free for classrooms and non-profits.
- The pro plan is best for professional designs and comes with over 100 million stock images and brand kitting.
- The enterprise plan comes with unlimited cloud storage, enterprise-level support, and SSO.
Try out Canva’s 30-day free trial to get started.
Comprehensive Flowchart Tool With the Highest Export Resolution
Venngage is a reliable option for creating flowcharts with its interface dedicated to non-designers. This platform is trusted by Harvard University, Cisco, Moz, Unbounce, Airbnb, The New York Times, Hubspot, Google, and others.
- Templates: You have access to over 100 customizable professionally-designed flowchart templates alongside thousands of icons, illustrations, and images to make your charts more visually appealing.
- Smart Flowchart Editor: Venggage’s smart flowchart editor automates parts of your flowchart creation activities and automatically adds your brand logo, colors, and fonts for easier design creation in the future.
- High Export Resolution: Supported export formats include high-resolution PDF and PNG of up to 300dpi, meaning images are never pixelated.
Venngage offers you four pricing plans: the free plan, the premium plan, the business plan, and the enterprise plan.
- The free plan offers you access to 5 designs, 6 image uploads, and free diverse icons and widgets.
- The premium plan comes with unlimited monthly designs.
- The business plan is suitable for a team size of up between 2-10 members and comes with brand kitting options.
- The enterprise plan supports over 100 team members and comes with a dedicated account manager and custom-built features through an API, custom MSLA, and external integrations.
Try out Venngage’s free plan to get started.
Top Flowchart Maker with High-Security Level
Powered by Amazon Web Services (AWS) and complying with GDPR standards, EdrawMax is a cross-platform, powerful, and affordable flowchart software patronized by top brands like Nike, Apple, and KPMG.
- Drag-and-Drop Interface: This program offers a drag-and-drop interface alongside a large variety of highly customizable built-in symbols for, not just flowchart but also, data flow diagram, BPMN, and workflow diagram design and creation.
- Templates: Over 1500 customizable templates are available to you alongside over 26,000 design elements to keep your flowcharts as unique as possible.
- Collaboration and Security Features: You are also equipped with collaboration features and enterprise-level security as the tool implements the highest level of 256-bit SSL encryption.
EdrawMax is available to you through three pricing plans: the subscription plan, the lifetime plan, and the lifetime bundle plan.
- The subscription plan offers you access to 1-year free upgrades and priority support, 1GB free cloud storage, easy device management, and file backup & recovery.
- The lifetime plan offers you access to lifetime free upgrades and priority support and 10GB free cloud storage.
- The lifetime bundle plan offers you both EdrawMax, EdrawMind, and EdrawInfo lifetime licenses.