A business name generator is your best bet at finding that perfect name you envision for your startup fast.
Picture this: You’ve finally found the business idea you want to start. It solves a problem for your target customers, so there’s a market for it.
It offers more value than your competition, so you won’t be out of business in a few years if you do your business right. And you’re super excited to launch it.
But… you have to find a name.
You want your customers to think of your business every time they see your product or service. You know how when you think of having a soft drink Coca-Cola comes to mind? You want that.
You want your customers to feel happy or be curious about your name.
And most importantly, you want your company name to represent the essence of your business.
So, you need to find the perfect business name.
You’ve spent hours upon hours trying to come up with a name for your company that appeals to you. But nothing seems to fit just right. And all you have to show for your hard work is a dustbin full of crumpled and torn papers.
We’ve been there.
The good news: There’s a faster way to get company name ideas through business name generator tools.
A business name checker will offer you over 1,000 company name suggestions in mere seconds. You won’t need to spend over five hours mulling over a business name.
So, today, we’ll look into a list of carefully selected free business name finders to help you find the perfect name for your company faster than you’re doing right now.
What is a Business Name Generator?
A Business name generator is an online tool that uses semantics and AI to help you find a unique name for your business.
When you search for keywords that you’d like your company name to have, the business name generator will search the web to find a distinct combination.
You get a list of names with the keyword you entered or terms related to that keyword within seconds.
Why Use a Business Name Generator?
There are benefits to using a business name generator to find your perfect business name, which include:
- Finding a unique name. Since the business name generator searches the internet before suggesting names to you, you can be assured of having a name that’s not used anywhere else.
- Avoiding copyright issues. More to the benefit above, the business name generator helps you not to use names that already have trademarks or are in use.
- Finding a name that is search engine optimized. As the business name checkers use keywords specific to your business, they help you to better target the keywords in a name.
- Helping you save time. Company name generators only take seconds to generate a list of name suggestions that you can use for your business. You save so much more time than if you were to ask your teammates to help you brainstorm for names.
- Getting an edge over your competitors. If you use a business name generator for industry-specific keywords, you get names with keyword combinations that give you a competitive advantage.
- Creating your brand. Some business name generators, aside from finding memorable names for your startup, also help you find a logo that you can use for your business, which allows you to create a brand fast.
- Registering your domain. Most business name generators ensure to offer names that are available for registration. So, it becomes easier to find and register your preferred business name.
What are the Best Business Name Generators?
When choosing a business name checker, you should ensure that the tool:
- Is easy to use
- Offers keyword suggestions so as to find the best keyword combination.
- Finds unique names that don’t match any existing websites.
- Combines keywords to offer an SEO optimized name.
Here is a list of 25 carefully selected business name generators to help you find the perfect name for your company.
Best business name generator for your online store.
Shopify is one of the most famous eCommerce sites. The company helps you create an online store or move your existing store online with so much ease.
The platform offers a business name checker that allows you to use a word that defines your brand or describes what your company does to find your perfect business name.
Once you hit the “Generate names” button, you’ll get a list of 100 two-word names that you can use. Clicking on any one of the names will show you if the name is available or already taken.
If the name you like is available, Shopify will prompt you to reserve your brand name and help you to build your eCommerce store on a 14-day trial.
If you don’t like any of the 100 names provided, hit the “Generate names” button again to get more names. You’ll get another set of 100 names with a few repeaters.
You can also filter your search by industry: fashion, clothing, jewelry, boutique, and baby store.
The best part of using the Shopify business name checker is that you’re directed to additional resources to help you build your business faster, like:
- Oberlo, where you can find products to sell in your eCommerce store
- Shopify Compass, where you get to brush up on your business skills
- Exchange, where you can buy an already existing store that matches your business idea and not have to build one from scratch
- Burst, where get royalty-free high-quality photos
- Hatchful, which helps you to create amazing logos for your business.
Find the perfect brand name for your eCommerce store with Shopify!
Best business name checker to find a premier company name for your startup.
FreshBooks is accounting software that allows freelancers and small business owners to keep track of their money.
The company also offers a free business name generator to help you find the best name for your company.
You’ll first choose your industry from the choices given: information technology, legal services & business consulting, creatives & marketing, and trades & home services.
Once you select an industry, you’ll be prompted to key in a word that you want included in your business name. The word can describe what your business does or a benefit you offer your customers. Then hit the “Make me a name” button to find business names. You’ll get a list of three two-word names.
When you click on a name you like, you’ll be directed to a page where you sign up for a free trial with FreshBooks.
If you don’t find any name that appeals to you, keep generating names until you land on the one you like.
Get the best business name for your small business with FreshBooks!
Best brainstorming tool to find a unique business name for your company.
Oberlo is an online platform that helps you build a dropshipping business. The platform helps you to get various products that you can market and sell online.
The Oberlo business name generator tool lets you key in words that describe your brand and generates hundreds of personalized names to choose from. You can key in up to three words that are specific to your business to get company name ideas.
If the word that best describes your business is “watches,” and all names generated don’t appeal to you, you could key in “digital watches” or, more specifically, “digital luxury watches”.
When you find a name you like, click on it then follow the prompts to set up your website domain and launch your business.
Oberlo finds names that are available for a .com domain registration.
Get a highly-specific company name for your startup with Oberlo!
Best company name to find a perfect business name for your startup.
Business Name Generator is a site that helps you find your perfect business name for your company. The website ensures that you get names that are available for domain registration. It checks the availability of the business names using GoDaddy.
When you key in the word(s) you want to have in your business name, you receive over 1,000 unique names. The names will be automatically filtered for your industry.
Once you pick a name you like, you will be presented with various domain extensions, including .us, .ca, .co, .net, .com, .co.uk, and .mx.
Find the best business name for your company with Business Name Generator!
Best business name generator to find a catchy name for your small business.
Wix is a renowned website builder that helps you to easily build your website without any technical expertise using the company’s drag-and-drop features. Wix has both free and premium plans (starting from $14 per month).
Key in a word or two into the business name generator tool to find business name suggestions for your company. Clicking on the “Generate name” button produces a list with over 100 name suggestions to choose from.
Once you find a name you like, click on it to find the domains extensions available, including .com, .net, .club, .info, .biz, .online, .store, and .shop.
Register your unique brand name with Wix!
Best business name checker to find an ultra-specific name for your startup.
Namelix is a platform that helps you generate a personalized name for your business.
You’ll need to key in the keyword you want included in your business name. Then choose your preferred name’s length (from 3 to 12+ letters long) and style (from brandable to multiple names).
You’ll receive a list of over 100 name suggestions.
The list of names contains unique available domains and existing domain names sold at a price.
When you find a name you like from the free options, you’ll receive various logos from Brandmark to choose from. You can save, edit, or buy the logo design that pleases you. Then follow the prompts to set up a wholly branded website.
If you choose to buy an already existing domain, the platform directs you to BrandBucket, where you learn more about what you’ll get when you buy the domain name. Generally, the domain name comes a package with branded logos and the brand name.
Get a memorable business name for your small business with Namelix!
Best business name generator to find business names that align with your startup vision.
Brandroot specializes in providing premium business names for a company.
The platform lets you enter the keyword you’d like included in your brand name, after which you get a list of over 100 premium names.
If you find business name suggestions that appeal to you, save them on the site. The AI capability of the tool will generate more personalized names using this information.
When you find a name that appeals to you, buy it, then follow the instructions given by Brandroot to acquire ownership.
Choose a business name that resonates with your company’s vision with Brandroot!
Best business name generator to get interesting company name suggestions for your small business.
Names4brands is a website that helps you find your perfect business name.
The platform allows you to generate names using three options: random, custom, and languages.
Random name option
You’ll choose what two words you want your business name to have as well as the number of characters it should have.
Your first word can be a popular prefix, handpicked, a popular Hindi, or random word. Your second-word choices include a popular suffix or any of the other options for the first word (handpicked, random, or popular Hindi). The characters in your name can be anywhere between two to ten.
Custom name option
You should include a keyword, secondary word, and the preferred number of characters you want your business name to have for a custom name.
Enter a keyword that describes your business to be used as the first word. Your secondary word could be any of the first and second-word choices for the random name option. The number of characters is also the same as those for the random name option.
Language name option
Choose from 18 languages, including English, positive English words, Tamil, Sanskrit, and Maltese, what the first word of your business name will be. The secondary word and characters have similar choices to the other two options above.
Select an option, then key in the details needed. If none of the names the platform generates appeal to you choose another option for word combinations until you get the perfect name for your business.
Once you find the name that fits your brand, check for its availability. If it’s available, buy it. You can also check the calculated numerology value of your preferred company name to see how prosperous your business will be, if you believe in mystical powers.
Find a business name (filled with luck) for your company with Name4Brands!
Best business name finder to get business name ideas for your company.
Mithril and Mages is an online platform that helps you find the perfect name for your business. It also allows you to play role-playing games.
You have various industries to choose from for a more personalized company name search, including auto dealers, banks, clothing, hardware, grocery stores, and publishers.
Once you choose an industry, you then decide on how many names you want to see per session. The platform has a maximum of 20 names per session, but you can choose a business name from over 10,000 suggestions.
Find the best business name ideas for your business with Mithril and Mages!
Best business name checker to find rhyming brand name ideas.
Rhymer is a business name checker that helps you find a unique rhyming name for your small business.
The platform lets you key in a keyword that describes your business, then generates names with one, two, three, or four-syllable rhymes. You can choose where you want the rhyming to be in your business name, either at the end/beginning of your business name or on the first/last syllable of the name. You also get to decide if you want your business name to have double or triple rhymes.
Find a rhyming combination that you like from the list of names the site generates, and start your business with an interesting, unique, and rhyming name.
Select the best rhyming name for your startup with Rhymer!
Best company name generator for the perfect name for your small business.
BrandBucket is a business name generator that helps you find a name with an available domain for sale using keyword and industry name searches.
Whichever option you choose, the platform generates over 100 names for you. Once you find a name that speaks to you, pick it and pay for the domain name and transfer.
After making the payment, you’ll wait for 48 hours for the platform to transfer the domain name to you. You’ll then get full ownership of the domain name once the transfer is complete, and then you can use it as you see fit.
You may decide to change the domain you’re currently using. BrandBucket can do that too. However, you’ll have to wait up to seven days for the platform to transfer the name to your preferred domain fully.
Get the perfect domain name for your small business with BrandBucket!
Best business name finder to find the perfect company name for your startup.
NameMesh is a business name generator that allows you to find a name for your startup.
You can use 2 to 4+ keywords to find the best name for your startup. The platform allows you to select a category for your business name: common, new, short, fun, AI, SEO-optimized, mix, extra, phonetic, similar, or joined.
Once you key in your keywords, you get over 1,000 names to choose from per category. Now, select a couple of potential names for your business. Then pick a web hosting provider to confirm the domain names’ availability. The web hosting sites the platform collaborates with include Bluehost, Wix, Hostgator, GoDaddy, Yahoo, and Namecheap.
When you get a name that appeals to you, click on it. If the name is available, you’ll be directed to the web hosting provider you selected so you can build your website with your chosen name and be on your way to starting a business.
Find a unique business name with NameMesh!
Best company name finder to discover cool and catchy name ideas for your small business.
Squadhelp is a business name finder that ensures you get a cool and catchy company name for your startup.
You can find a business name in one of three ways: name search powered by AI, personalized names through a contest with top creatives, or premium domain names available for sale.
Start by selecting your industry from over 20 suggested industries. You then key in the keywords you’d like your name to have or choose from those suggested by the platform. You can also include the type of emotion or big idea you want your name to evoke from your customers so you can get more personalized results.
Then click the “Generate names” button. You’ll get a list of over 20 names. Find a name that appeals to you and buy the domain name or make an offer to buy the name. Once the name is transferred to you, you’ll get full ownership, and you can start your business as soon as you want.
Find a catchy company name for your startup with Squadhelp!
Best company name lookup to find unforgettable business name suggestions for your startup.
Panabee is a business name generator that helps you find a unique name for your company.
To get your business name, start by entering two words that describe your business in the business name generator tool. Clicking the “Generate” button will give you a list of more than 50 names to choose from.
You’ll get both available and unavailable names in the list. The available names will have a blue heart, while those unavailable will have a broken, red heart next to them.
The best part: the web hosting provider — GoDaddy — can help you acquire an unavailable name if you “really” want it.
Once you find a name you like and confirm that the name is available, you then, choose the domain extension you’d like from the following: .com, .ai, .cn, .me, .us, .uk, or .io.
Then pick the name you find appealing, buy it, then build your website on GoDaddy.
Choose the best brand name for your company with Panabee!
Best business name list generator to find captivating company name ideas for your small business.
Worldlab is a business name checker that allows you to find unique company or product names.
The platform has a list of over seven million names to choose from. Click on the “Get name” button a couple of times until you land on a name that appeals to you.
Find a unique business name for your small business with Worldlab!
Best business name checker to discover memorable business name ideas for your startup.
Anadea is a company name generator that allows you to find a captivating brand name for your business. With Anadea, you’ll only generate industry-specific company name suggestions.
The platform only helps you discover company name ideas, and as such, you can’t buy the names from the platform.
Lookup company name ideas with Anadea!
Best company name generator to find the most captivating business name for your startup.
IWantMyName is a domain name finder that helps you find a fancy domain name.
Once you enter the keyword that best describes your company, you will get a list of all business names the platform can find, both available and unavailable. You can hide all the unavailable names, so you can only concentrate on those available.
Aside from the common domain extensions (.com and .net), you get interesting ones like .space, .beer, .bike, .blue, .charity and .je.
When you find a name you like, click on it, and the platform will prompt you to pay for both the domain name and hosting. This way, you can go on and start your business without delay.
Get a fancy domain name for your business with IWantMyName!
Best business name checker to find a distinctive name for your company.
Fit Small Business is a platform that allows you to search for business name ideas for your start up.
Unlike other business name generators where you enter a keyword describing your company, with Fit Small Business, you’ll need to key in:
- The services or goods you provide.
- The geographical area you serve.
- The founder’s last name.
The platform will provide you with a list of 18 business name ideas to choose from. Pick a name that speaks to you, then do a simple domain search to check if the business name is available.
Get the perfect business name for your startup with Fit Small Business!
19. Name Station
Best business name generator to find the most memorable name for your small business.
Name Station is a business name generator that allows you to find your perfect brand name.
You’ll key in what you want to name (a book, website, your business), the keywords you find important, and the domain extension you want from a list of over 20 domain extensions.
The platform uses your information to provide you with a list of over 5,000 unique business names to choose from. Since the company name suggestions you get are either available or not, you’ll need to confirm your preferred business name’s availability.
If the business name you like is available, go on to build a wonderful website for your business.
Find the best company name for your small business with Name Station!
Best company name generator to get an unforgettable business name for your startup.
LeanDomainSearch is a business name finder that helps you find available business names.
Once you enter your keyword, you’ll receive over 1,000 business names with a .com domain extension to choose from. You can filter the business names list by popularity, length, or alphabetically. You can also decide if you want your company name to start or end with your keyword.
The platform helps you to discover if the name you’ve chosen has an available Twitter handle with the same name.
You can register your business name on WordPress or Bluehost, then build your website and officially launch your business.
Get an excellent domain name with LeanDomainSearch!
Best company name generator to find a unique business name for your small business.
TRUiC is a business name generator that assists you to find company name suggestions with an available domain.
To find the perfect name for your small business, you’ll need to enter your keyword, industry, and the location you serve. There are five categories for the company name suggestions: short, full, synonyms, cool, and local SEO.
You’ll get a list of over 1,000 business names available with the .com extension per category. If you’d like another domain extension for your business, the platform also checks for .org and .net domain names’ availability.
You can then choose a name that appeals to you, then register it with your preferred web hosting provider and generate a free logo with TRUiC.
Find a unique business name with TRUiC!
Best business name finder to come up with the perfect name for your company.
Novanym is a company name finder that ensures you get the perfect .com brand name.
Once you enter your keyword, you’ll get a list of over 1,000 available business names for sale to choose from. Find the name you like, click on it and buy it. Buying the company name gives you access to logo designs, logo design copyright, and domain transfer support.
Choose the perfect brand name for your startup with Novanym!
Best business name generator to find a personalized name for your small business.
BizNameWiz assists you in discovering creative company name ideas for your small business or product. The platform checks domain availability using GoDaddy.
Enter your keyword to generate a list of over 1,000 business names to choose from. You can then filter these company names by:
- The number of words and characters you want the name to have
- Where to place your keyword in the business name
- Whether or not you want rhyming words in your name.
Clicking on your preferred name will show you the domain extensions available. You can choose to register your brand name with GoDaddy or any other web hosting provider and start your business.
Get a creative business name with BizNameWiz!
Best company name lookup to find a captivating name for your startup.
Namify is a business name generator that assists you in looking up company name ideas for your startup.
To find your perfect company name, enter your keyword in the business name generator tool. Select a category from over 10 suggestions. Decide on the number of words you’d like your business name to have. Then choose the style and number of characters you’d like for your company name.
You’ll get a list of over 1,000 business names to choose from. Select the business name that appeals to you to get information on domain availability, social media handle availability, the domain name price, and where you can register.
You can then register your business name, create a beautiful website, and start your business.
Brainstorm business name ideas for your company with Namify!
Best business name generator to get a memorable name for your small business.
GetSocio is a company name checker that assists you in finding a perfect name for your business.
Once you key in your keyword, you’ll get over 1,000 business name suggestions to choose from. When you select the name that you like, you’ll be prompted to register and create an eCommerce site with the platform.
Find your perfect business name with GetSocio today!
How Do I Come Up With a Catchy Business Name?
Coming up with a unique name for your business, at times, may seem like a daunting task. However, if you follow a proven process, the task becomes less daunting and more doable.
Here is a simple process that we recommend you try when thinking up business names.
Step #1: Define Your Objective
The first step is to know exactly what you want your company name to achieve. To understand the objective you want to attain from your company name, ask yourself the following questions:
- What do you want your customers to feel when they think of your business name?
- What do you want your name to represent?
- Do you want your name to reflect the products you’re selling?
- What characteristics will you want your name to have?
Examples of responses to these questions are:
- I want to make existing and target customers curious about my brand or interested in learning more about my business or feel a connection with my brand.
- I want my business name to represent the mission and vision of my business.
- I want my company name to describe the products or services I’m offering.
- I want the name to be memorable, unique and catchy.
Having a clear understanding of what you want to achieve from the get-go ensures that you don’t stray away from your goal.
Step #2: Brainstorm Names
With a clear goal in mind, it becomes easier to brainstorm names that match it. You can think up business name ideas using two ways:
The first one is a roundtable brainstorm, where your business partner, friends and you, sit down and try to come up with names off the top of your heads.
Using this method of idea generation may take a couple of days before you can come up with a name that you’re proud of.
The second method is using business name generators to get name suggestions for your company. This method works better than the first one because you can get over 1,000 name ideas within seconds.
So, pick two or three business name finders from the list above (for comparison) to discover a name for your small business.
Step #3: Create a List of Potential Names
When brainstorming, create a list of all the company names you feel strongly about, and represent your brand and business name objective.
You shouldn’t worry about the number of business name ideas you have at this stage; worry about that later.
Once you make a comprehensive list, sleep on it. Then when you wake up, trim the list down to at most 10 business names that embody your goal and vision.
Step #4: Check Business Name Availability
The next step is to check if the 10 business names you’ve chosen are available so you can trim your list down to 3 super-specific names.
You can check for domain name availability by:
- Performing a simple domain search on a search engine like Google. Here’s how you do it: Google each company name to find out if a website with such a name already exists.
- Use business name generators to find out if the domain name is available.
- Use a web hosting provider like Bluehost to know if your names are available.
Since you’re just building a business, aim to get a free domain so you can reduce your initial capital for the business.
Step #5: Test on Your Audience
The next step is to test the three business names on your audience to find the perfect name for your business.
To perform the test, create a landing page for each name with a brief explanation about what your company does and a clear CTA. Ensure that the messaging on the landing page is the same so that you’re only testing to know what name your customers prefer.
The best platform to conduct this test is on Facebook using Facebook ads. Post each landing page as a separate ad on Facebook and see how your audience interacts with it. Set a deadline to analyze the results. A realistic deadline would be within a week.
After one week, analyze the performance of each ad. The ad that performed the best shows that your audience preferred that business name over the other two.
So, make it your business name so that you can attract more customers to your business.
Step #6: Reserve your business name
Once you find the name that appeals most to your audience, you should reserve it by buying the domain name from a web hosting service provider like Bluehost.
Buying a domain name ensures that:
- Your business has a professional look.
- You build credibility for your business.
- You increase brand awareness.
- Your business gets ranked on search engines.
- It’s easier for potential customers to find your business online.
- You can protect copyrights and trademarks.
With your registered business name, launch your business!
Using this step-by-step process will help you to find the perfect name for your business fast.
Tips to Select a Company Name
Since your company name will be the first point of interaction between your customers and brand, it should be well thought out and, most importantly, strategic.
So, how do you ensure your company name is strategic and still acts as a beacon to attract customers to your business?
Here are the most critical factors to consider when choosing a name for your business:
1. Business growth
You should choose a name that doesn’t hinder the growth of your business. So, stay away from constricting names like location-based names if you plan on taking your business worldwide.
Not everyone can be as lucky as Kentucky Fried Chicken, although even they had to abbreviate their name to KFC to serve a global market.
Here are some questions to guide you in picking a name that allows growth:
- Do you wish to sell more products or services over time than what you want to start with? Then calling your company a “Dog Food company”, for example, is very constraining. What if after a while you’ll want to sell cat food or chicken food? A better name would be “Pet Store”. The name “Pet Store” doesn’t restrict you to specific pet food or food in general. So, you’re free to add on other products like accessories, beds, bowls, and any other items that pets need.
- Do you want to venture into other niches? As your business evolves, you may want to do more, so your name should accommodate this as well. Using the example above, if you, later, want to venture into pet races and fashion shows, the name “Dog Food company” will not cut it.
- Do you want to have a store in multiple locations or even expand internationally? A location-based name will be very restrictive. Case and point: Kentucky Fried Chicken who had to abbreviate the name to KFC to attract a global market.
2. Customer interaction
You should think about how customers will interact with the business name you choose.
How customer-friendly is your business name? Will your customers fail to refer you to their friends just because they’re embarrassed that they might pronounce your business name in the wrong way? Will your customers remember your business name?
Here are some things to think about to ensure your name is customer-friendly. Your business name:
- Should be easy to pronounce: Can other people besides yourself pronounce the company name you’ve chosen. If none of your friends and family members are pronouncing it correctly, then most of your customers won’t too. And so, you will miss out on referrals simply because your customers will be embarrassed to mispronounce your name.
- Should be easy to spell and write: Your company name should be easy to write down if you want your customers to find you online. Imagine if a customer misspells your company name when trying to find your company, then lands on your competitor whose name is more straightforward. What happens? You lose that customer, for sure.
- Should be easy to remember: Ensure that your name is memorable, which means that you shouldn’t have a sentence as your business name. A memorable name should have one to three words.
- Shouldn’t lose meaning on translation: Your name should not have any embarrassing or counter-productive meaning when translated to another language.
- Should evoke a positive emotion from your customers. If your company name elicits a positive feeling in your customers, then they’re more likely to buy from you.
3. Brand description
Your company name should, at the very least, describe your brand.
Here are some questions you can use to help you find a descriptive name if that’s the kind of name you’re aiming for:
- What is the overall essence of your brand? You can find a name that helps you describe your company’s feel — for example, Jaguar (sleek, fast and beautiful) or Amazon meaning huge expansion and all-encompassing.
- What does your business do? You can choose a name that describes your daily operations like Bank of America, Hotels.com or Bookings.com.
- What products or services do you offer? Your company name could describe your products or services, for example, Burger King or Google Maps.
Customers should easily understand your name. You shouldn’t keep explaining what your business name means to everyone. And if you need to explain, it shouldn’t be a lengthy explanation.
So, test your name first with your acquaintances to see if they understand. Then, with strangers, to get a clearer sense of what comes to your customers’ minds when they hear your business name.
Ensure your name is unique. Now, uniqueness can mean different things to different people.
So, here are some ways to make your business name unique:
- It shouldn’t be too similar to your competition’s.
- You can make it up like Google or Marketo.
- You can combine two names into one like Dulux (DuPont Luxury) or Facebook (self-explanatory, I hope).
- You can abbreviate it to form a unique name like IBM (International Business Machines), GSK (GlaxoSmithKline) or KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken).
- Name your business after a founder like McDonald’s, Ford or Channel.
Customers will quickly remember:
- A unique business name.
- A descriptive company name.
- A short name
- A business name that’s easy to pronounce.
So, ensure that your company name has one or two of these characteristics.
Best Business Ideas to Start (Including Inspiring Business Name Examples)
Despite how daunting a task finding a unique business name is when starting a business, it’s the better, less complicated part.
For most entrepreneurs, the most challenging part is thinking up business ideas and figuring out which is the best business to start.
And that’s not all.
Once they figure out which business idea to implement first, it may not pass the five-year mark. In fact, studies show that only 50% of businesses make it to five years.
So, how do you find the best business idea to start that will go past the five-year mark?
- Find something you’re passionate about or have immense experience in and turn it into a business. It could be a skill, like drawing or writing.
- Know your target customers. If you start your business, who do you want to sell to? What’s their age? Where are they located? What do they do for a living? And how much do they make a month? Having all this information about your potential customers ensures that you create products or services targeted to them.
- Ensure there is a market for your products or services. Knowing your target customers is fantastic, but do they need what you plan on offering them? Here you should identify a gap or a need your target customers have so you fulfil it. And since you’re helping them solve a problem, they’ll feel the need to buy your product or service.
- Know your competition. What do your competitors offer? How do they offer it? Then, do it better. You can also discover areas your competition miss and fill those gaps with your business. This way, you get to attract more customers to your business.
- The business should be expandable. Having a business is fantastic, but if it can only cater to your neighbourhood, it’s not worth your time. An excellent company should have the capacity to grow such that you create a legacy not just a monthly income from your business.
Now that you know what to look for when brainstorming ideas for a small business, you may want to get an idea of companies you can start.
So, we’ve selected some of the most profitable business ideas you can implement fast.
1. Launching a high-end blog
Blogging is one of the most lucrative businesses you can start. Some of the best bloggers earn over $100k a month.
If you enjoy writing and helping people solve problems, here’s how you can launch a high-end blog:
Find a perfect niche
Being a specialist makes your readers view you as an expert and a credible source of information. So, you should strive to find a niche from the onset of your blog.
Your perfect niche is a combination of your passion, expertise and how profitable the niche is. If you have expertise in something that you’re passionate about and you can make money from it, then you’ve found your perfect niche.
Some of the most profitable blogging niches include travel, digital marketing, blogging, and technical writing, such as writing for SaaS companies.
Define your target audience
Once you figure out what you want to blog about, you need to define who you’re targeting for your content.
As we said earlier, you should take the time to really know your target audience: their wants, needs, and struggles, so that you can offer value to them.
Find a problem
After defining your target audience you should find out what they’re struggling with, then create content to try and help them solve these problems.
Doing this will make your audience trust you, and you will attract more readers to your blog as they will feel that you understand them.
Find a captivating name for your blog
With your niche and target audience in mind, a perfect name would be the next thing on your list. Use the tips we mentioned earlier to find a name for your blog.
Some examples of great names include:
- A travel blog could be Explore Willow, Traveltatic or Travelgenics.
- A blog about blogging could be Bloggingcog, Nomad Blogging or Tipsquipo.
Launch your blog
Once you find great names, check for domain availability with a web hosting service provider like Bluehost. If your name is available, go ahead and buy it, then follow the steps to launch your blog.
Monetize your blog
Having a blog is fantastic. Helping people solve their problems is even better. But you can’t spend your time on something and not earn from it. As the old saying goes, time is money. So, you should find ways to monetize your blog.
Some of the most common ways to make money blogging include:
- Having ads on your blog.
- Affiliate marketing
- Creating and selling online courses
- Selling ebooks
- Writing sponsored posts
- Guest posting
Find work as a blogger
Another way to make money from your blog is to find blogging jobs where you provide your blog posts as samples of your writing. Some platforms where you can find freelance blogging jobs include Problogger, BloggingPro, Upwork, Fiverr, Contently, and MediaBistro.
2. Start a consulting business
A consulting business is also very lucrative. Management consulting in the US is worth well over $229 billion.
Consulting is an excellent business to start. However, not everyone can do it because clients will only trust you if you have considerable experience in your niche and a track record to show.
Types of consulting
The most profitable consulting businesses you can start include:
- Management consulting
- Strategic consulting
- Marketing consulting
- Sales consulting
- IT consulting
Tap into your specialization
What skills have you specialized in? If you worked in marketing for a considerable amount of time, say, for five years, you have expertise in this field. So, you can start a marketing consulting business.
Define your target client
It’s essential to know who your target clients are to focus your marketing efforts on them. This way, you’ll be able to offer the right marketing to the right client.
So, you’ll need to define exactly who your target clients are by clearly responding to these questions:
- Are your potential clients businesses or individuals?
- What are they struggling with?
- Are they willing to pay for a solution?
- What are their goals and dreams?
Find out if there is a need for your service
The next step is to find if there’s a market for your consulting business by:
- Discovering how your consulting service solves a problem for your potential clients.
- Finding a gap that your competition isn’t filling and take up the responsibility to fill it.
- Finding out what your competitors aren’t doing well and do it better.
- Discovering how much your clients are willing to pay for the service you’re offering. You can do this by finding out how much your competition gets paid or what your target clients say they’d pay for such a service.
Choose a memorable name
Once you’re clear on your audience and target market, find a name that captures the essence of your business while at the same time making clients feel that they can trust you.
Here are examples of some interesting names you can work off of:
- Sheer Marketing
- All-out Consulting
- Consulting lance
- Remarkable Consulting
Build a website
With your available domain name, build a website to showcase your services with a web hosting provider like Bluehost.
You can find work in a number of ways, including:
- Referrals from friends
- When people with a business similar to yours delegate a few tasks to you.
- Cold pitching to companies you identify
- Reaching out to companies that already know you and what you offer
- Freelance job boards like Upwork, FlexJobs, SolidGigs, or Fiverr.
3. Build a SaaS Startup
SaaS (Software as a Service) companies are other high-paying businesses you can venture into.
So, how do you start a SaaS startup?
Find a niche
The first step to build your SaaS startup is to find a niche. Your perfect niche should be an area where you have experience and expertise.
Examples of lucrative niches:
- Social media
Discover your potential customer
Clearly define your target customer, so you can know what software to build.
You should know from the get-go if you plan to serve individuals, businesses or a combination of both. If you plan to offer your software to both individuals and companies, how will you structure it to cater to both? Will businesses need to upgrade to a business-specific account to get better services?
How will you make money from your service? Will you create a premium account? Or will you provide one for free and make money when users advertise through your platform?
How fast do you think people will be willing to adopt your software?
What is your marketing budget, and how do you plan to market your product?
Identify a gap
Once you nail down your niche and target audience, the next step is to identify the gap you’ll fill with your software.
What are your target customers struggling with?
Can you provide a solution to make it easier for your target customers to perform a task?
What are other SaaS companies within your industry missing? Or what can you do better than the already existing SaaS companies?
Create software to fill the gap you identified earlier. When you’re building your product, have your target customers in mind. Think of:
- Making the software easy to use
- How easy it will be for your customers to adopt your software
- Whether your customers even need the software
- If your customers are willing to pay for the software.
Find a name
Discover a name for your software. Have at least three names to test on your potential customers to see which one they respond to better.
Here are some name examples you can use for your SaaS company:
- For travel software: Travelish, Travelgenics
- For accounting software: Instant Accounting
Test your product
Theories are excellent to help you kickstart your business. However, it’s not wise to work off of them to launch a product. You need to test it to confirm that your research findings also work for you.
So, in this step, test your software not only on your family and friends but also on strangers.
To test your software on strangers, create an interactive ad where people can try it and give you feedback. You can also create a focus group to try it and give you feedback.
If you get positive feedback on the structure and ease of use of your software, find out if it’s fulfilling a need and that your customers want it. If there is a market for your software, then launch it.
If not, go back to the drawing board or tweak your current software to better fulfill the identified gap.
Once you launch your software and it becomes a success, get funding to expand your reach.
4. Grow a podcasting empire
Since its development in 2004, podcasting has been on a steady rise over the years. As more people want to listen to a specific topic of discussion rather than general banter, podcasting is becoming a preferred choice for many over radio.
Since people are more receptive to podcasts, it would be an excellent idea to start one. You will not only get to discuss topics you enjoy but also make money.
So, how do you start a podcast?
Here’s a step-by-step approach to starting a podcast.
Identify what topics you want to discuss on your podcast. Your topics could revolve around:
- Something that interests you, say, cooking, where you find the best chefs to discuss the best ways to prepare certain dishes.
- Something you’re experienced in. You could talk about how best to do marketing or sales if you’ve worked in any of these areas for a considerable amount of time.
- Something you’re an expert at. Find something you’ve got expertise in and help your audience learn how to do it.
- Something you’re passionate about. You could also start a podcast to teach your audience about something you’re passionate about.
Once you find your topic, move on to the next step.
Define your target audience
Knowing who your audience is will help you better create content that interests them and provides value. So, it’s essential to know your audience really well.
Here are some questions to help you define your audience better:
- Who is your audience? For example, moms, teens, university students, etc.
- What do they do for a living?
- How old are they?
- Where do they live?
- What’s their marital status?
- How conversant are they with the topic you want to discuss?
- What are their goals, hopes and dreams in life?
- What are they currently struggling with?
Identify a problem
Once you have a deep understanding of who your audience is, find a struggle that you can help them solve or a goal, you can help them accomplish.
You can also look at other podcasts with a similar audience and see what they’re missing and purpose to fill that gap.
Confirm that there’s a market for your podcast
You know your customers and their struggles, but do they want your service? Do they want help to solve the problem they’re struggling with?
If your target customers need your services, then launch your business and get to helping them. But first…
Find a catchy name
Discover a memorable name for your podcast.
Here are some name ideas you can use:
- Hush Marketing
- Candid Marketing
- Splendor Marketing
Launch your podcast
Once you have everything in place: a name, a gap to fill, a market, knowledge of your target audience, and topics to discuss, launch your podcast on a platform like Buzzsprout.
Monetizing your podcast
Finally, identify ways you can monetize your podcast. Some monetization examples include:
- Selling products such as ebooks, checklists, courses.
- Affiliate marketing
- Holding virtual summits
- Providing coaching/ consultation
- Getting donations
Choose one or two monetizing methods to start you off, then add more as your podcast empire grows.
5. Set up your own online store
Online shopping has been on a steady rise in recent years. More and more people prefer to do their shopping online.
Case and point: the Covid-19 pandemic has seen more people turn to online shopping because of governments’ travel restrictions in different countries.
How do you start an online store?
Here is a step-by-step method to set up your online store.
Define your target customers
- Who will you sell your products to?
- What products do they want?
- How do they want to make orders?
- Are they willing to use technology for shopping?
- How long are they willing to wait for products to get to them?
Identify what you want to sell
The next step is to know what you want to sell. Do you want to sell digital products like ebooks, courses or software? Or do you want to sell physical products like clothes, electronics, furniture, etc.?
Do you want to specialize in one specific industry or a combination of two to three sectors?
Do you want to transfer an already existing brick-and-mortar store online?
Decide on a business model
Once you know what you want to sell, choose a business model to accomplish this. The most common business models include:
- Affiliate marketing
- Selling physical products
Decide on which model you want to use. You can even use a combination of two or three models.
Find a name
The next step is to find a name for your online store. Make sure your name is memorable, unique or descriptive, so your business is at the top of mind for your customers.
Here are examples of awesome names that the Shopify name generator helped us find and which you can use:
- LastMinute Dresses
- BestDeal Dresses
- Smash Dresses
- SilverLine Electronics
- Electronics Cave
- RealDeal Electronics
Launch your store
The next step is to start your online store on a platform like Shopify since it is convenient and easy to do.
The last step is finding the best ways to market your store. Here are some of the highest-converting marketing strategies that you can use:
- SEO: Optimize your online store for keywords your customers may use when searching for items to buy. Also, create valuable content to sell your products.
- Social media: Use your social media handles to advertise your business.
- Use email marketing to sell your products.
- Market your online store through paid advertising.
Dedicate ample time to your online store.
Target the right customers in your marketing campaigns.
Provide timely deliveries and stellar customer support.
Then watch how fast your business will grow.
Business Name Generator FAQ
Yes, you should register your business name. As we discussed earlier, when you have a registered business name, you seem more professional, and your customers tend to trust you more.
First, brainstorm or use a business generator to find a catchy name. Then use a web hosting service provider like Bluehost to find out if the domain name is available.
If your name is available, create a website with Bluehost and have your domain name for free for a year.
Ideally, your business name should match your domain name. If you’re a startup and your business name has an available domain name, then good for you. Go ahead and buy it.
However, if you’re an existing business, have been around for a while and you’re just now deciding on building a website, and you find that your domain name is unavailable. You can do one of two things:
– Use a different domain extension than the common .com extension. For example, .io, .net, .co.uk, .co.us. The only catch to doing this is: since most people normally type in “Yourbusinessname.com”, they may end up on the other business.
– Buy the domain name from the owner, which may take a while.
Having your business name and domain name matching is an excellent way of showing consistency in your business.
There are various domain extensions, including .com, .net, .org, .co, .biz, .io. Here’s how to know which domain extension is right for your business:
First, it’s important to note that .com and .net are the most common extensions used by most websites.
Since that’s covered, which domain extension is right for you?
.com means “commercial”. It’s a popular domain extension for online businesses, blogs, organizations, and personal websites. The major downside to this extension is the unavailability of most “YourPerfectBusinessName.com” names.
.net means “network”. The extension was formally created for websites with a focus on network-based technology. Now, it’s the best alternative if your business name doesn’t have a .com extension available.
.org was originally focused on nonprofit organizations, and although the restriction was lifted, people still view a .org extension to mean a not-for-profit organization. Organizations that generally use this domain extension include charities, foundations, or educational services.
.co means “company or corporation”. It was created to address the issue of unavailable .com domain names. It is commonly used by online businesses. For more personalization, you can add a country-code domain extension to have extensions like .co.uk, .co.ke or .co.us.
.biz which means “business”. It’s restricted to eCommerce and business websites, and it’s cheaper than .com or .net extensions.
Find Your Winning Business Name and Start Your Dream Business
Finding a perfect business name for your startup may seem like an uphill task. However, knowing what message you want to convey to your customers with your name will make the process easier.
Ensure that your business name has one of these characteristics:
- It’s unique or memorable.
- Evokes a positive emotion from your customers.
- It doesn’t limit growth.
- It’s customer-friendly such that customers can pronounce and write it correctly. And most importantly, it doesn’t lose meaning or have an embarrassing meaning when translated.
If brainstorming and coming up with a name on your own seems challenging, find keywords that represent your business, then use a business generator to help you discover business name ideas.
Choose a name with an available domain and use a site like Bluehost to launch your dream business.