10 Best Vonage Alternatives for Business Phone Systems (VoIP)
While Vonage is a well-known VoIP provider, it has some unreliable features and costly pricing that might make you consider alternative VoIP services. I reviewed ten excellent Vonage alternatives and shortlisted the top five options.
It's best to avoid complex and expensive instruments that make your job more difficult when choosing a new phone system for your growing business.
As a result, you might want to consider a Vonage alternative that is more intuitive, affordable, and provides robust features and integrations at little extra cost.
The best business phone systems are easy to deploy and quickly utilized by small teams. Several of them are also cheaper than Vonage and quite scalable for growing businesses.
You'll be able to quickly choose a tool that meets your requirements with this extensive comparison of the best Vonage alternatives for business phone systems below.
Why Look for Alternatives to Vonage?
Vonage has some primary drawbacks, which are:
- Additional Cost for Video Conferencing: It is only good if you need basic communication tools, but when you require more features, they come at an extra cost.
- Basic Video Conferencing: Unlike other Vonage competitors that offer high-definition video and audio, the phone structure does not include HD video. It also lacks virtual backdrops and the ability to interconnect across various devices.
- Lack of Essential Features in Basic Plan: Vonage's most basic capabilities are lacking compared to other leading VoIP providers. Features such as visual voicemail and text messaging are only available as monthly add-ons for Vonage customers.
Best Vonage Alternatives for Business Phone Systems
Below is a list of the best Vonage alternatives:
VoIP Service Provider for Medium to Large Organizations
With RingCentral MVP, a unified cloud-based business phone system, you can easily send team messages, hold video conferences, and make several phone calls. You can also use its open API to integrate popular business software applications and tools. If you want a powerful cloud-based phone system, choose RingCentral.
RingCentral is one of the top Vonage alternatives. It provides advanced communication options, including text, voice, and video, as well as an attractive and user-friendly app.
- Versatile Communication Solutions: RingCentral MVP includes features such as texting, voice calling, and a voice and video conferencing tool. It supports huge teams of 1,000+ users and is available on Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android devices.
- Multiple Phone Numbers: After signing up with RingCentral, you'll have the option of selecting from various numbers. There are over 200 local area codes to choose from, as well as toll-free and vanity numbers.
- Visual Voicemail: The visual voicemail feature converts voicemail to text with precision. It's a good option for individuals who can't always listen to audio messages as it keeps you informed about who has tried to call and why.
- Team Collaboration: With RingCentral's collaboration capabilities, you can keep your team informed and encourage discussion. RingCentral customers, like Vonage subscribers, can share documents and talk in real-time.
- Stress-Free Integrations: With out-of-the-box connectors, you can link your phone system to your favorite tools. Freshdesk, Microsoft Teams, HubSpot, and Salesforce are some of the most popular voice apps and connectors.
- Customer Assistance: RingCentral's live customer service offers phone and online ticketing 24 hours a day, seven days a week. A huge number of self-help resources are also available.
- Every membership includes unlimited domestic calling inside the United States and Canada, as well as team messaging, texting, and document sharing.
- Compared to other Vonage alternatives, RingCentral supports HD video and audio.
- RingCentral has a higher capacity for video conferencing than Vonage.
- There is an auto attendant feature.
- Video conferencing and internet faxing are not included in the basic package.
- There are no unlimited international calling plans.
- For small teams, it offers a more expensive entry-level bundle.
- Pricing starts at $29.99 per user on a monthly subscription.
- There's a 33% discount on an annual subscription.
RingCentral offers a 14-day free trial for new users.
Robust VoIP System for Small to Medium Businesses
CallHippo is an easy-to-use modern call center software that offers robust functionality with advanced features like a power dialer and an automatic call distribution that have proven useful for monthly recruitment activities. It's a great Vonage alternative for users who use advanced call analytics to boost growth.
CallHippo is one of the most recommended Vonage alternatives for improving your customer service, sales, and overall business.
It is a secure virtual phone utility that is cloud-based and assists companies in increasing agent productivity, automating workflow, managing and analyzing team performance, and ultimately making more calls.
- Interactive Voice Response: CallHippo has an inbound and outbound IVR, which means it can handle both incoming (for example, customer support) and outgoing calls (for example, for surveys).
- Automatic Call Distribution: With this tool, you can distribute calls to all team members simultaneously, in a predetermined order, or evenly among all team members using the Round Robin option. This feature is included in every plan.
- Power Dialer: The power dialer function is one of the platform's best features, and if your team makes a lot of outbound phone calls regularly, it can be a huge help. Once you've started a campaign, all you have to do is upload an Excel document with all of your contacts' phone numbers, and they can then be called automatically.
- Advanced Call Analytics: The system keeps track of call volume, call duration, and incoming and outgoing call routing.
- Robust Integrations: For sales automation, CRM, help desk, productivity, eCommerce, data and reporting, survey and marketing, and recruitment and ERP, CallHippo has over 100 integrations. They're ideal for both the sales and customer service teams.
- VoIP Call Recording: This feature is included in all plans. One of its most significant advantages is that all calls are automatically recorded and saved in the cloud.
- The call monitoring feature allows you to get into live calls during emergencies, teach new agents while on the phone, and avoid wasteful call transfers by delivering essential responses.
- GlobalConnect is a feature that allows users to instantly determine the time zone of any country. If you have an international clientele, this is advantageous.
- Using the built-in call transfer tool, you can effortlessly transfer a connected call from your business phone number to a team member.
- A helpful customer service team is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- CallHippo does not provide unlimited calling plans, unlike many other service providers.
- Phone support is only available to Silver and Platinum users.
- Pricing starts at $16 per user per month for the bronze plan.
- Offers a 20% discount on its annual subscription.
You can get started with CallHippo on a 10-day free test period.
Cloud and Mobile-Based Solution for Small Businesses
With a RingBlaze phone number, your staff can readily receive inbound and make outbound calls. I was able to get low monthly on-call rates with this VoIP solution. Consider RingBlaze if you want a phone system with a comprehensive dashboard for your team to ensure that every caller receives excellent service.
Ringblaze is a business phone system with features that make it a great Vonage alternative for SMBs' communication needs.
The service allows users to add private member remarks to client timelines, as well as create new phone numbers or port existing ones.
- Easy Setup And Usability: Ringblaze can be set up in minutes without the need for any additional equipment as it works on browsers.
- Unlimited Phone Numbers From 22 Different Countries: Ringblaze allows all of your clients, no matter where they are in the world, to contact your company's toll-free number and receive assistance without having to pay any additional fees.
- Assign, Forward, and Call Recording Capability: Any calls made to your Ringblaze numbers can be redirected, assigned, or recorded in seconds. This means that your prospects or clients can get the assistance they require immediately.
- Shared Dashboard: This service is designed to keep track of all calls made to your phone number in a central location that is accessible to all your users.
- Real-Time Customer Interaction: With Ringblaze, you can talk to potential customers while they surf your website, transforming casual visitors into leads while employing engaging tools to assist clients along their shopping journey.
- Smart Analytics: It offers an integrated reporting system that can provide a smart analysis of your team's work and track growth trends.
- This phone utility does not require any additional mobile or desktop apps.
- RingBlaze's user interface is simple and intuitive.
- For larger organizations, the phone structure is not ideal.
- For new users, there is a steep learning curve.
- It is still in its early stages of development, with no updates in the last two years.
- Pricing starts from $15 per user every month.
- An annual subscription has a discount of 20%.
Get started with RingBlaze on a 15-day free test period.
Simple Cloud-based VoIP Solution for Solo Entrepreneurs
GrassHopper is an extremely fast and simple VoIP service provider. Users can directly pick their service level, numbers, and extensions, download the app, and customize their preferences. If you want a good VoIP system, GrassHopper is a great option.
Grasshopper is a virtual phone system that operates with your existing landline or cell phone connection, ensuring that call quality is not compromised.
A leading provider of business phone solutions, it is one of the popular Vonage alternatives among single entrepreneurs and small business owners due to its straightforward product offers, restriction-free features, and budget-friendly price range.
- Simple Setup: Grasshopper is a simple and user-friendly tool, allowing you to skip lengthy setup procedures and time-consuming hardware programming. You can get started with your current gear or a smartphone.
- Ease of Use: The mobile app is simple and lets you control your calls on the go. On the other hand, the desktop app is fully functional, letting you send and receive messages and calls from your computer. Both interfaces are straightforward to use.
- Business And Personal Calls: You can readily distinguish between business and personal calls with Grasshopper. It will notify you whether the incoming call or text is business or personal.
- Unlimited Calls And Texts: Grasshopper offers unlimited calling and messaging regardless of your chosen pricing plan, allowing you to spend more time talking with a consumer in-depth.
- Easy Migration: If you already own a mobile number and want to switch to Grasshopper, you can easily transfer your number to Grasshopper at no cost and start enjoying the benefits of your new Grasshopper system right away.
- Responsive Customer Support: Grasshopper offers one of the best customer service departments. It assists with a variety of channels, including phone and email support 24 hours a day, a vast knowledge base with how-to guides and pictorials, and helpful videos on its YouTube channel.
- Instead of letting callers go to voicemail, Grasshopper can provide live virtual receptionists to answer your phone calls, collect information, schedule appointments, and develop connections with callers.
- At no extra cost, the platform provides local and toll-free vanity numbers.
- Compared to other Vonage competitors, Grasshopper's absence of video conferencing options is a significant disadvantage.
- One of the most common complaints researchers noticed about Grasshopper was their poor voicemail transcription service.
- Grasshopper has experienced call quality problems on rare occasions.
- Pricing starts at $29 per month on a monthly subscription.
- There’s a 10% discount on annual subscriptions.
Get GrassHopper's 7-day free test period or choose a small business plan.
Cheap VoIP Solution with Productivity Features
CloudTalk is the best Vonage alternative for managing all your calls from one place. It interconnects branches, departments, and team members in an instant. I have been able to use the cloud-based platform to integrate effectively with other tools and applications. CloudTalk is a preferable option for SMEs in need of a company phone structure and those who need advanced call routing features.
CloudTalk is a cloud-based phone system for sales and support teams that is simple to use.
The service is one of the popular Vonage alternatives for startups, scale-ups, SMEs, and eCommerce businesses because of its features for enhancing customer engagement and team performance.
- Call Routing: It allows advanced call routing features and a multi-level IVR menu. The user-friendly call flow designer helps users configure settings based on their schedule. You can also set up call forwarding.
- Productivity: CloudTalk's call center software includes several inbound and outbound calling features to improve team workflows. Users can create efficient processes and boost productivity by automating callbacks and sorting calls into categories.
- Robust Integrations: CloudTalk integrates with thousands of eCommerce, help desk, and CRM apps for more robust functionality. The built-in integrations allow two-way syncing.
- Analytics: CloudTalk offers multiple call center analytics, including key performance indicators, campaign and call queue statistics, and real-time dashboards. Using time-based or agent-specific reports, users can learn about their average call duration or the total number of unanswered calls.
- Instant Messaging: You can make your contact center more productive by sending personalized or broad messages to your customers. Text messages sent automatically save time and make your agents' jobs easier.
- There is an auto attendant feature.
- It allows you to tag calls to categorize them for follow-up reminders or by department.
- Call recording is a standard feature on all CloudTalk plans.
- There is an absence of multimedia messaging (MMS) on the VoIP.
- The starter plan doesn't include text messaging or an IVR menu.
- Its audio conferencing feature is limited to three people only.
- Pricing starts at $25 per user, per month.
- There's a 30-day money-back guarantee for every plan.
Get started with CloudTalk's free test period.
Top Choice for Teams that Frequently Host Video Meetings with Up to 500 People
8×8 is a publicly-traded firm that serves more than two million corporate users globally with VoIP devices and services.
Contact center, phone, video, chat, and communications APIs are all part of its unified cloud offering for organizations.
- Robust Business Phone System: It provides a cloud-hosted PBX with limitless calling and international coverage, as well as the ability to add virtual extensions as businesses grow. The voice quality on every 8×8 call is HD. Its call distribution features ensure that customers can handle high call volumes and effectively route callers to the appropriate department.
- Team Chat and Instant Messaging: For optimal efficiency, 8×8 allows users to retain all of their interactions in one place. Text messaging and group chats are examples of this. Team chat rooms can be made private, invite-only, or public.
- High Scalability: 8×8 is a very scalable system. You won't be dealing with complex wiring or extra gear for new phone lines because it's a cloud-based business VoIP solution.
- Easy Integration: 8×8 integrates with a variety of other business programs, such as CRM, productivity, and workforce management platforms, so switching between them isn't necessary.
- Visual Analytics: Leaders may use the system to do targeted data searches to uncover trends and opportunities, as well as visual maps of customer journeys to obtain insight into consumer pain points.
- Efficient Customer Support: Contact center services from 8×8 can be synced with other company communications systems. Customers of a corporation can contact them via voice or digital methods.
- The subscription is designed so that businesses only pay for what they require.
- Apart from providing call recording, 8×8 also offers users the option of announcing that the call is being recorded automatically.
- It allows customers to turn on do-not-disturb mode, which sends all incoming calls to voicemail.
- The auto operator feature provides customized self-service alternatives and greets users who call the company with consistent, brand-consistent messages.
- All 8×8 Work subscribers receive free and unlimited calls to standard-rate domestic landlines or mobile devices, as well as free calls to any other 8×8 Work subscriber anywhere in the globe.
- Even at higher plan tiers, video conferencing sessions are limited to 100 people.
- The entry-level plan has a limit of 10 users.
- Telephone customer service in the United States is somewhat limited.
- Only the top-tier plans have access to online faxing.
- Pricing starts at $15 per user per month.
- There's a 25% discount on an annual subscription for a more robust plan.
You can start using 8×8 on a 30-day free trial.
7. Google Voice
Affordable VoIP Phone System for Startups
Google Voice is a great Vonage alternative that allows users to make and receive phone calls and texts using different phone numbers.
Small-business owners use Google Voice to forward calls and messages to their phone lines without disclosing private data to the public.
- Free Unlimited Texts: The Google Voice service includes free messaging. You may text using the app directly from your phone. This will enable you to keep your work texts, which you'll send using Google Voice, apart from your conversations.
- Auto-Block Spam Calls And DND Mode: When Google Voice detects spam texts or calls, it will automatically ban them. Its Do Not Disturb feature will also put any incoming calls and texts to voicemail when you are through with work for the day or merely need a break.
- Voicemail Transcription: Not only does Google Voice have voicemail, but it also uses advanced speech recognition technology for voicemail transcriptions.
- Digital Integration: Google Voice also works in tandem with a user interface that is already recognizable to individuals who use Google services. On a website that looks like a Gmail inbox, you may read and send free SMS text messages, check voicemail and call history, and make and receive video calls.
- Auto Read Voicemails: You can listen to voicemails as they are being left, which is a nice feature of this phone utility. This is a unique feature that can be handy for screening calls and messages.
- The capability to connect all of your devices under a single phone number is one of Google Voice's main selling advantages.
- Google Voice can allow you to keep your current phone number and avoid the hassle of having to issue new business cards.
- It performs well with Google Workspace.
- Even if your phone battery dies, Google Voice will allow you to text online using your Google number.
- Inability to dial 911 directly in an emergency.
- For any Google Voice-related service, Google does not provide one-on-one customer support.
- It includes a sophisticated multimedia messaging capability and is unable to transmit a landline or VoIP number.
- Only the most expensive plans have extensive features.
- Free version available.
- Pricing starts at $6 per user per month.
You can get Google Voice for free or purchase the premier plan.
Robust VoIP that Provides Sales Assistance
Nextiva offers a variety of VoIP phone service options for small-to-large organizations and call centers.
The phone utility is extremely dependable and efficient, and every package includes essential services in addition to voice calls.
- Auto Attendant: This is the recording you make for incoming calls outside of normal business hours. You can configure multiple welcome messages for business hours and off-hours, but you'll have to follow different steps depending on whether you're using a Nextiva phone.
- Dependable Service: Nextiva claims a 99.999 percent uptime rate and claims that no outages were observed in 2019 or 2020. This uptime percentage is outstanding, and the fact that there are no outages suggests that Nextiva provides the performance and reliability that businesses require.
- Co-space Capabilities: The office management application features screen sharing, chat, file uploads, and more to keep team members connected. For greater efficiency, team members can stay connected and engaged with Co-space throughout the day.
- Service And Payment Tools: Nextiva provides useful service and sales solutions to assist organizations to streamline and improve the quality of their operations. As a call comes in, features like the call popup display critical caller information on the computer screen, allowing the employee to prepare for a quality, efficient interaction.
- Great Training and Onboarding: A company might choose on-premises and one-on-one training with Nextiva for a more in-depth experience. Additionally, a corporation can participate in training webinars and receive the same extensive instruction through the internet.
- With its conference bridge, Nextiva makes it simple to bring your users together for workplace telemeetings.
- It includes a synchronous ring capability, which is essential for salesmen who need to be on the road but don't want to miss important calls on their desk phones.
- Because the automation and integrations are so adaptable, they may be used for any business or project.
- It is possible to use the auto attendant feature on all its plans.
- It is too costly for small organizations that merely require a basic VoIP provider with simple features.
- Monthly plan options are considerably more expensive than annual plan options.
- Every Nextiva plan's price fluctuates based on how many users an organization has, which can make the plan's pricing structure more difficult.
- Nextiva costs $30.95 per user for four users on a monthly subscription.
- There is separate pricing for contact center solutions.
You can start using Nextiva on a 7-day free trial.
Best for Businesses without IT Departments
Ooma is a cost-effective, versatile, and dependable VoIP solution for businesses.
The Ooma Office solution promises simple business communication options for a wide range of organizations, no matter their size or industry, with a variety of plans to select from.
- Good Customer Support: There is not only live chat and email support, but there is also a dedicated contact line for business and home users to get help quickly.
- Stress-Free Setup: Ooma has an out-of-the-box configuration that allows you to get the system up and running quickly. Its auto-configuration technology recognizes the optimal system settings, allowing you to bypass numerous steps that would ordinarily be required while setting up a VoIP system.
- Feature-Rich Mobile Software: Ooma has mobile and desktop apps, but the smartphone app is especially useful when you're not at home or work. You can use your phone to make and receive calls, check your voicemail, and change your account information.
- Artificial Receptionist: To take advantage of call redirection for your business, set up Ooma's virtual receptionist service. You can play a greeting, transfer callers to another extension, or provide a menu to direct callers to the appropriate individual.
- Excellent Voice and Video Conferencing: Ooma Office's easy interface enables a host to set up a meeting in seconds. There's also a chat feature, muting options, and meeting password protection.
- Mobile and Desktop App Flexibility: By having its back-end accessible on a variety of devices, Ooma allows you to modify settings and tailor your phone system to your needs.
- The platform enables you to use your existing phone number. It's an excellent Vonage alternative for businesses that already have a client base with their current phone number.
- Ooma has improved its call blocking tool, which allows residential and business users to prevent malicious or unnecessary calls.
- A personalized greeting and the ability to check voicemail remotely via the Ooma mobile app are among the voicemail options available to Ooma home phone users.
- Ooma's basic capabilities are limited, so you'll have to upgrade to a higher plan to get things like smart connections and call blocking at home, or video conferencing and call recording at work.
- Its WiFi requires an add-on, and the mobile device in your house or workplace will require a hardwired connection. You'll have to spend a lot of money on a WiFi adapter.
- To connect their phones and other devices to the internet, businesses may need to purchase an Ooma Office Base Station.
- Ooma Office plans start at $14.95 per month for small businesses.
- You can get a price quote for Ooma Office Pro and Ooma Office Pro Plus plans.
You can start using Ooma on a 30-day free trial.
Best for Small Startups Seeking a Low-cost VoIP System
magicJack is a VoIP solution that allows consumers to receive calls from the United States and Canada using an existing internet connection.
You can make phone calls using a computer or a standard business phone; no special hardware or phone services are necessary.
- Virtual Fax: The virtual fax option enables customers to communicate and exchange signed contracts and other files over email, eliminating the need to purchase and maintain a traditional fax machine.
- Virtual Assistant: Callers can use the virtual assistant to contact a variety of departments or even employees within a company. You can also record a greeting message, leave a voicemail, and dial a phone number by name or extension using the multi-level auto attendant feature.
- Call Forwarding: The call forwarding magicJack functionality can be used to route and manage inbound calls. The feature can be set up such that calls are redirected to many phone lines concurrently or sequentially, depending on whether they are received or not.
- Desktop And Mobile App: This feature helps business customers to utilize magicJack from their computer, potentially increasing flexibility by eliminating the need for a device to make phone calls.
- VoIP Business Phone Service: For business communications, magicJack supplies physical business phones with VoIP capabilities. This could be a terrific option for users who are just starting in business. It eliminates the need to buy a phone separately because it is included with the service.
- Conference Calling: Customers can use the magicJack conference calling function to construct a conference bridge, which can be a useful tool when meeting on a call with more than three people.
- Users of magicJack pay an annual fee that is typically less than a month's worth of mobile phone or landline phone service.
- There are no charges for long-distance calls, allowing the user to save even more money.
- Anyone, including non-technical individuals, can set up the magicJack.
- International calls to other magicJack users are free.
- The lack of person-to-person customer support is one of the most common complaints regarding magicJack's platform.
- magicJack isn't a fan of using satellite internet.
- The overall speed and quality of the internet connection will determine the call quality.
- To get a dial tone, magicJack must be connected to a computer.
- Pricing starts at $43 per year.
- magicJack offers a $6 savings when you subscribe for the 2 Year plan.
Get started with any of magicJack's plans.
Vonage Alternatives FAQs
Vonage Business Solution is an all-in-one VoIP and unified communications company that takes an easy approach to business collaboration and communication, allowing even small organizations to benefit from its cost-effective services.
The platform is simple and economical thanks to the absence of unnecessary functionalities that make several business VoIP providers clumsy.
You may add services like toll-free numbers, voicemail-to-text, custom APIs, an auto-attendant
complex integrations, and paperless faxing as needed as your business grows.
For organizations wishing to make the switch to internet phone service for businesses, Vonage offers the best entry-level options.
RingCentral is a major Vonage alternative whose key advantages are flexible functionality, excellent integration, and good value for money.
It can be customized to meet your specific requirements, whether you need a communication system for cooperation or a contact center configuration.
GrassHopper is a Vonage competitor that can turn a mobile phone into a business phone,
get a toll-free 1-800 number for your business, and segregate and filter phone calls.
Users can take sales calls whenever and wherever they choose with Grasshopper because their phones can be converted into business phones.
CloudTalk is a Vonage competitor that provides advanced call center features, intelligent call routing, and quality statistics and monitoring services.
One of the most appealing features of a VoIP solution is its capacity to be used in many more ways than a traditional phone system.
Vonage outperforms Ooma when it comes to features. Vonage provides a business mailbox, call forwarding, desktop, and mobile apps, cell phone integration, a second line, call routing, business SMS, voicemail, and voicemail to email, among other capabilities. It also allows for remote work.
Vonage also outperforms Ooma in terms of functionality and available integrations.
Ooma is, however, the cheaper option.
A VoIP system for your home replaces your old phone line, allowing you to make calls for a fifth of the cost. A home VoIP solution should also be easy to set up and not as clumsy and complicated as a VoIP service for businesses. The following are some of the best VoIP services for home usage:
In the current VoIP industry, Google Voice is among your top picks as a home phone provider. Considering single-digit accounts qualify for the free plan, it will be free for the majority of residential users.
Ooma offers on-premise VoIP gear to power its residential service, similar to its popular small business VoIP solution, Ooma Office. It offers high call quality, 911 service, and the ultimate low-cost home service—free features, as well as a free calling app.
Because the Partner plan offers three separate contact lines with up to six extensions, GrassHopper can be used as a VoIP solution provider for the home.
The cheapest VoIP services generally provide advantages such as unlimited calling, cheap international rates, and reliable service. You’ll find some of these qualities and more in the list of the cheapest VoIP services below:
8×8 has one of the top cheap VoIP services that don’t compromise on VoIP quality.
RingBlaze is far less expensive than its competitors, and it just has one plan.
As most of its competitors don't offer all of the essential functionality at a basic level, RingCentral is one of the top cheap options for a large workforce.
GrassHopper is one of the cheapest VoIP solutions for solo entrepreneurs and small businesses.
Google Voice offers great features like unlimited text messaging and voicemail transcriptions at an affordable price. There is also a free version.
Which Alternative to Vonage Should I Choose?
Companies that require easy-to-use phone systems that can double as great virtual meeting platforms should go for RingCentral, Ooma, or Google Voice.
CallHippo and 8×8 are great for international calls. RingBlaze, in particular, is a terrific find if you make business calls to customers internationally, because all outgoing calls are free for them, regardless of where they are calling from.
Grasshopper is one of the best business phone services for small businesses that need something affordable and easy to set up.
Check out my article on popular Vonage alternatives below for a more extensive review: