11 Best WooCommerce Alternatives and Top Competitors in 2022
Discover the best WooCommerce alternatives with extra features that may suit your business’s needs, making setting up an online store easier.
In this article, I’ll review the 11 best alternatives to WooCommerce, starting with my top five picks to help you make the best decision in the shortest amount of time.
You can select one of our top five picks to quickly narrow down the best WooCommerce alternatives and free up time to concentrate on other critical areas of your business.
WooCommerce is an open-source WordPress ecommerce plugin with a simple interface and plenty of valuable features, but it's not the right tool for everyone. That's why you'll find most business owners considering other WooCommerce competitors to expand their growing businesses.
Why Look For Alternatives to WooCommerce?
Even though WooCommerce is the most popular ecommerce plugin, it has several drawbacks that outweigh its strengths. This prompts most WordPress users to look for alternatives to WooCommerce.
Here are the main drawbacks of WooCommerce.
1. Only Compatible With WordPress Sites
WooCommerce is a WordPress plugin that only works on WordPress sites or accounts. Therefore, if you're not working with a WordPress-based website, you'll need to find an alternative to WooCommerce to run your online store.
2. Steep Learning Curve
You'll need coding experience and technical skills to run the WooCommerce plugin for WordPress effectively. Additionally, WooCommerce maintenance may be cumbersome, forcing its users to look for WooCommerce alternatives with a low learning curve.
3. Relatively Expensive
Although WooCommerce is a free WordPress plugin, it does not offer hosting services. As a result, you'll have to pay for third-party web hosting. Additionally, if you run a large online business, you may need to pay for extensions, which adds unnecessary costs to your WordPress site.
Fortunately, there are loads of other WooCommerce alternatives with advanced features, plugins, and add-ons to help you start selling online effectively. Read on to learn more.
Best WooCommerce Alternatives for Launching an Online Store
Here’s a list of 11 of the best WooCommerce alternatives in 2022.
Best Overall WooCommerce Alternative
I love Squarespace because it allows you to create your very own online store from scratch in a matter of hours using its pre-made template designs. They also offer marketing and SEO tools that will enable you to elevate your business’s social presence and reach more customers through email campaigns and social media integrations.Try Squarespace
Squarespace is the best WooCommerce alternative with a drag-and-drop editor, making it easier to set up an online store even for novice website builders. You can also use the free trial to test its powerful features and customize your free domain name to fit your online business.
This ecommerce platform stands out among other WooCommerce competitors by providing beautifully designed templates that perfectly suit your personal preferences and business requirements to get you started selling online right away.
- Customizable Templates: Use a wide range of templates to quickly launch numerous online shops for your different businesses. Squarespace also supports primary content types like pages, blogs, and commerce, making it one of the best content management systems on the market.
- Sell Digital Content: You can sell digital products like ebooks and music from your existing website. You’ll enjoy easy digital downloads, create discount codes, and accept payments in multiple currencies.
- Email Campaigns: Unify your brand voice from your online store homepage to your emails to engage with more customers and stand out from the competition. Then, monitor your marketing analytics and follow the metrics that matter to integrate all your sales channels.
- Analytics: Use commerce and Google Analytics to view your traffic, sales, and visitor demographics to understand how your online store business is performing and where you should focus your next marketing efforts.
- Integrations: By integrating with the most practical business and social tools like Facebook, Zapier, and Pinterest, you can increase the reach of your WordPress website throughout the web.
Squarespace offers four paid plans: Personal Plan at $14, Business Plan at $23, Basic Commerce Plan at $27, and Advanced Commerce Plan at $49 per month. They also offer a Squarespace Enterprise Plan with custom pricing.
All annual paid plans come with a 14-day free trial and a free custom domain.
- Offers a free trial and a free custom domain
- Provides built-in SEO and blogging tools
- Online store builder with multiple languages and currencies
- No autosave function
Most Popular WooCommerce Alternative With Powerful Integrations
Unlike WooCommerce, Shopify offers web hosting services for every plan and powerful integrations that can help you create digital marketing campaigns to attract the right customers through SEO blogging and social media platforms. In addition, Shopify is better than WooCommerce because it offers an SSL certificate, subdomain, fraud detection, and 24/7 customer support.Try Shopify
Shopify is a popular ecommerce solution, similar to WooCommerce, but has more robust features and pre-built integrations for selling online effectively.
You can hire a Shopify Expert to walk you through each step of setting up your online store or read tons of available resources for novice and experienced business owners.
With over $496 billion in sales across millions of businesses in 175 countries, Shopify also includes ecommerce and WordPress plugins, making it compatible with an existing WordPress site.
- Comprehensive Dashboard: Get a detailed view of your online store's operations to understand sales, orders, and audience needs. Stay ahead of the competition using dashboard data to get insightful sales information and leverage tools to grow your business.
- Inventory Management: Sync your inventory requirements with your sales channels to never miss a sale. You can also add ecommerce functionality like dropshipping and social media marketing to your online store for maximum business growth.
- Integrated Payments: Shopping cart includes a free SSL certificate with over 100 external payment gateways like PayPal, credit cards, and Bitcoin. You can offer free shipping or discount codes at specific prices during checkout. Shopify also provides flexible shipping rates and automatic taxes based on your location.
- Marketing & SEO: With the help of this feature-rich content management system, potential customers can find your online store via search engines and leave product reviews after making a purchase. It supports SEO best practices, including titles, headings, and meta tags.
- App Store: Integrate your ecommerce site with over 6,000+ apps to add features that will scale your online businesses. You can download and install a customer-based ecommerce widget to your Shopify store to help customers browse through and buy products swiftly.
Shopify has three paid plans: Basic Shopify at $29, Shopify at $79, and Advanced Shopify at $299 per month. There is also a Starter Plan at $5 per month and Shopify Plus Plan with tailored pricing.
A 14-day free trial is available across all plans with no credit card required.
- Easy user interface
- Many point-of-sale options to choose from
- 24/7 callback phone support
- Transaction fees apply to third-party payment methods
Best WooCommerce Alternative With a WordPress Ecommerce Plugin for Bigger Stores
BigCommerce is better than WooCommerce, especially for large businesses, because it allows you to easily create a multi-storefront to manage all your ecommerce stores from one location. Unlike other WooCommerce alternatives, BigCommerce doesn't enforce transaction fees or payment penalties. So, you can select the best payment gateway that works for your business and your customers.Try BigCommerce
BigCommerce is an open Saas platform that is more flexible than WooCommerce and has the power of multi-storefront to expand your business’s reach into new markets.
Like WooCommerce, this website builder integrates with an existing WordPress site through a pre-built plugin, allowing enterprises with complex business plans to streamline their editorial content requirements.
Therefore, this online store builder is a popular ecommerce solution for business owners looking to launch a massive online store.
- Multi-Storefront: From a single dashboard, you can create and manage multiple, unique storefronts to streamline your business operations and integrate with top marketplaces, such as Google Shopping, Amazon, and eBay, to attract more customers.
- Inventory Management: Easily manage your inventory across different sales channels without needing third-party software. To eliminate overselling, you can set low-stock notifications that automatically alert you when you run out of inventory. This makes BigCommerce the best WooCommerce alternative for selling digital products.
- Headless Commerce: With headless commerce, you can scale your online stores by building several WordPress sites with this complete back-end framework and integrating it with your favorite business tools. You'll fully control your website and enjoy native app experiences during administration or checkout.
- Product Filtering: Increase conversions by using a faceted search to filter products based on size, colors, and brands, allowing your customers to shop for the things that are essential to them. This functionality helps you turn online store browsers into buyers and increase customer loyalty.
- Multiple Payment Gateways: Give your customers the freedom to transact in any language or currency and choose from various payment methods with no transaction fees or penalties. These payment integrations include PayPal, Google Pay, Apple Pay, and so on.
BigCommerce has four paid plans: Standard Plan at $29.95, Plus Plan at $71.95, Pro Plan at $269.96, and a custom-priced Enterprise Plan.
A 15-day free trial is available across all paid plans.
- Provides multiple sales channels
- 24/7 customer support via phone, chat, and ticket
- No additional transaction fees with leading payment gateways
- Lacks HTML customization capabilities for its free and paid themes
Website Builder Better Than WooCommerce for Small Businesses
Wix has a lot to offer as an ecommerce website builder, but what distinguishes it from other ecommerce solutions is the convenience of professional video tutorials that can help you speed up the entire website-building process. Unlike WooCommerce, this online store builder offers free hosting, so there is no need to pay for third-party web hosting services.Try Wix
Wix is one of the best WooCommerce alternatives with advanced features, many app integrations, and SEO tools to help you expand your online business. They offer 500+ templates, most of which are made for small businesses.
Most WordPress users feel that WooCommerce is more flexible than Wix. But it has recently introduced artificial design intelligence (ADI), a revolutionary algorithm that accelerates the creation of websites. You can also purchase premium extensions or add-ons to satisfy your business demands.
- Wix Editor: Using this powerful drag and drop editor, you can create your own website in a matter of hours and enrich your online stores with the most popular ecommerce plugins to scale your business. Additionally, there are 500+ stunning templates to choose from for every business.
- Advanced SEO Tools: Build an optimized website and incorporate all SEO and marketing tools to increase organic traffic, get more visitors, and convert them into potential buyers. You can add customizable meta tags, video backgrounds, or scroll effects to attract more customers.
- Analytics & Reports With the help of the analytics built into the dashboard, you can sell online and obtain the data you need for success. You can determine which content approach works for your online business and what your customers prefer via reports to make informed decisions.
- Multiple Payment Methods: Display and sell digital products in a beautiful ecommerce store and accept payments through PayPal, credit cards, and many other offline payments.
- Integrations: Power your ecommerce store by integrating with over 250+ professional apps based on categories such as marketing, selling online, communication, and more. You can use third-party apps to improve digital marketing and convert more leads.
Wix pricing starts with Connect Domain Plan at $4.50, Combo Plan at $8.50, Unlimited Plan at $12.50, and VIP Plan at $24.50 per month. They also offer separate Business Plans for accepting online payments.
A 14-day free trial is available across all premium plans.
- Free hosting and free domain name for one year
- Affordable when compared to WooCommerce
- Offers endless customizations with 500+ ecommerce website templates
- Switching to a different template requires starting from scratch
Beginner-Friendly WooCommerce Alternative With Cheap Plans
Using this AI website builder, you can create your personal website, blog, or portfolio in under one hour. Zyro is one of the best ecommerce solutions that makes it easy for anyone to create a professional WordPress website or online store. This easy-to-use website builder also offers notable ecommerce features like Google Analytics, integrations, and AI business tools.Try Zyro
Zyro is a simple ecommerce website builder similar to WooCommerce but requires less technical skills and no coding knowledge when building your online store. Simply drag and drop elements onto ready-made templates to create the ideal ecommerce website you desire.
With Zyro, you can choose the ideal theme for your business from a vast selection of customizable themes across several categories. Use AI business tools to create your unique brand identity that stands out from the competition.
- Ai Business Tools: This modern website builder uses the power of AI to generate fresh content, business name, slogan, and logo for your WordPress websites or online stores. By eliminating all the guesswork, Zyro gives you more time to focus on other aspects of your business.
- Search Optimization: Use this ecommerce solution to improve your search ranking, get more traffic, and grow your brand. Gain insights into your different online stores and give your brands the competitive edge they need to meet all customer preferences.
- Email Marketing: To launch email campaigns and convert site visitors or browsers into potential buyers, you can set up several types of triggers for your digital products using email marketing tools.
- Universal Payment Solutions: Ensure your business never misses any potential sale by integrating your ecommerce store with the most popular payment solutions like PayPal, Mastercard, and Visa. Easily add shopping discounts or coupon codes on a shopping cart to attract more customers.
- Integrations: Connect with your customers through powerful integrations like Google Analytics that allow you to see your ecommerce site visitor's locations and how you can best serve them.
Zyro offers three paid plans: Website Plan at $2.99, Business Plan at $3.99, and Advanced Store Plan at $15.99 per month.
A 30-day money-back guarantee is available across all plans.
- Affordable plans when compared to WooCommerce
- Free web hosting and free domain
- Provides mobile editing and preview
- Limited customizability
Best Free Alternative to WooCommerce With Endless Customizations
Shift4Shop is the best free ecommerce solution on our list of WooCommerce alternatives. You can use the free version and access all the premium features as long as you're a US merchant and can afford the cost of processing payments through Shift4 payments.
Unlike other WordPress plugins, Shift4Shop has an ecommerce functionality that allows business owners to customize their checkout page and offer the best shipping discounts or codes to attract more customers.
- Real-Time Shipping: From the shopping cart, your customers can view real-time shipping rates and print shipping labels to prevent cart abandonment and offer them the best online shopping experience. In addition, you can integrate your own website or online store with several shipping delivery services like UPS, USPS, and FedEx.
- Marketing & SEO: Use the built-in SEO tools to promote your online store and sell goods on various marketing platforms, including Facebook and Google. The SEO tools can also help increase traffic to most WordPress websites.
- Inventory Control: With stock alerts, you can manage your inventory and avoid running out of stock to satisfy your customers. As a result, you can sell online products without worrying too much about missing out on orders or sales.
- Digital Products: Shift4Shop has become a popular ecommerce plugin and an online store builder because it makes selling digital downloads easy and secure. Additionally, your customers can enjoy easy digital downloads no matter where they are.
- Reports & Dashboards: Access over 60 real-time reports and dashboards to gain valuable insights that can help you improve sales and conversions. You can expand your marketing and sales channels by identifying top-performing products and sale trends.
Shift4Shop offers a Free End-to-End Ecommerce Plan with unlimited users for US-based merchants. Other paid plans are Basic Store at $29 per month for two users, Plus Store at $79 per month for five users, and Pro Store at $229 per month for 15 users.
- Intuitive ecommerce website builder
- Provides a free domain name and SSL certificate
- 24/7 customer support service
- The free version is available only to the US businesses
Best Alternative to WooCommerce With Sales Funnels and Custom Checkouts
Simvoly has the fastest drag and drop page builder compared to WooCommerce and allows seamless integration of websites and sales funnels in one location. You can sell online successfully by creating unique sales channels and customizing checkouts to reduce cart abandonment.
With Simvoly, you can create a WordPress website and convert it into an online store in hours or minutes. You’ll also enjoy using robust ecommerce features such as funnels, email marketing, free CRM, bookings, and appointments.
- Free CRM: Use a free CRM tool with email marketing and automation features to engage more with your customers by allowing them to make bookings and appointments directly from the pages. You can create membership-only pages in your funnel or website.
- Sales Funnels: This ecommerce builder is more flexible than WooCommerce since it allows you to create sales funnels, do quizzes or surveys, collect leads, and much more to increase sales and grow your business. You can split-test different website pages to determine which content converts better.
- Custom Checkouts: Foster customer trust and increase conversions by customizing the shape and design of your checkouts. You can add one-click upsells, downsells, and bumps to your checkouts to sell more products with a single mouse click.
- Detailed Analytics: You can understand more about your customers, sales, and revenue-generating channels with detailed ecommerce analytics. You can also monitor how visitors move through the various stages of your sales channels.
- Integrations: Connect leading email marketing tools like Mailchimp, AWeber, and Moosend to your ecommerce pages. Additionally, you can integrate this online store builder with payment processors like PayPal, Stripe, and Paystack.
Simvoly has four plans: Personal at $12, Business at $29, Growth at $59, and Pro at $149 per month. They also offer separate plans for White Label and Email Marketing.
A 14-day free trial is available across all plans.
- Free SSL certificate for each website and funnel
- Free customer relationship management (CRM) solution
- Offers white label and email marketing option
- Lacks photo editing capabilities
Best WooCommerce Alternative for Creating Online Stores With Built-In Super-Fast Hosting
Nexcess is a flexible cloud hosting solution with an online store builder option for entrepreneurs looking to grow their businesses in WordPress. Launch beautiful online stores with intuitive design features without writing the code.
Additionally, you can sign up for automatic software updates and maintenance to benefit from fast page loads and give your consumers the best shopping experience.
Try Nexcess StoreBuilder risk-free for 30 days and sell anything online by integrating your store with online marketplaces like Facebook, Walmart, and Amazon.
- Custom Templates: Create an online store that reflects your company's brand and voice using customizable templates for any industry. Add custom palettes and modern fonts on specific pages to display a creative styling that motivates shoppers to buy from your store.
- Bundled Selling Tools: Increase your online presence and earn money by sharing your product catalog with online retailers like Amazon and Walmart using plugins and other tools.
- Social Selling: Easily share your store and products to your social pages to connect with more potential customers and expand your reach. You can create blogs to share your story and add detailed product pages with pictures and videos to convert social media followers into loyal customers.
- Sales Monitoring: Use insights sent directly to your inbox to understand your customers and store visitors. You can see which products or pages are selling better to focus your attention and overlook the underperforming ones. Improve product delivery using customer reviews.
- Abandoned Cart Recovery: Send automated reminder emails to potential customers after cart abandonment to convert missed opportunities into sales. Connect your store with HubSpot, MailChimp, and ShipStation for fast and effective email delivery services.
Nexcess pricing starts at $19 per month. After registering, you can use the StoreBuilder risk-free for 30 days.
- Unlimited store and page customizations
- No ecommerce transaction fees
- 24/7 live expert support via phone, email, and chat
- No email accounts
Completely Free WooCommerce Alternative for Creating an International Online Store
Prestashop is the only 100% free, open-source ecommerce software on our list of WooCommerce alternatives for setting up an international online store. You can sell online across borders and capture new markets because it offers a multilingual platform with multi-currency options.
This ecommerce platform is more flexible than WooCommerce since it allows you to customize your store with themes and specific features and get it up and running within minutes. Therefore, Prestashop is a viable ecommerce solution for establishing a small online business on a new or existing site.
- Custom Templates: Build your customers' trust by giving your online store a professional appearance with just a few mouse clicks. To increase conversions, you can use pre-made themes to create a store that matches your products and overall brand.
- Modules & Add-Ons: Increase your store potential by customizing it with more than 3500 modules and add-ons to boost traffic, build client loyalty, and boost conversion rates. You can select between free and premium modules to scale your online business.
- Multi-Language Platform: With the help of over 75 language translations, you can make your store global and grow your business across several countries. You can also offer a translation that doesn’t exist or improve an existing one through Crowdin.
- Business Insights: Keep track of your progress, set goals, and obtain a complete picture of business statistics like top-selling items, customers, and sales to expand your business.
- Prestashop Community: Explore the community for solutions, advice, and best practices to manage your store effectively and provide customers with the best customer support services to increase sales. You can also share experiences, tell your story, and get inspired by interacting with other like-minded entrepreneurs.
Prestashop is 100% free to download and install the software. However, they also offer free and premium extensions, add-ons, and templates.
- 100% free ecommerce software
- Provide in-depth video tutorials and live demos
- Excellent phone support
- Like WooCommerce, it doesn’t provide web hosting services
10. Adobe Commerce
Modern AI-Powered Alternative to WooCommerce For Multi-Channel Commerce
Adobe Commerce (previously known as Magento) is the best alternative for WooCommerce for large enterprises looking to create multi-channel commerce experiences for B2B and B2C customers on a single platform.
You can generate compelling content for your e-commerce site without the help of a developer by using modern drag-and-drop tools and a wide range of customization options.
Adobe Commerce uses a future-proof technology to give your e-commerce platform a versatile, extensive, and scalable online business solution, making it one of the top-ranked WooCommerce alternatives available today.
- Multi-Brand Solution: Manage all your brands and sell online to businesses and consumers from a single platform. You can use Adobe Commerce to manage your multiple online stores, whether for B2B, B2C, D2C, or a combination, without switching between platforms.
- Business Intelligence: Eliminate technical data barriers using business intelligence capabilities that enable you to evaluate what is essential for your online business, such as identifying your best clients and how to best serve them to generate more revenue.
- Headless Commerce: With API-based headless commerce, you can deliver seamless customer support experiences across every sales channel. Unlike WooCommerce, you can design, test, and deploy shoppable experiences with this flexible solution, giving customers faster response times and more pleasant experiences.
- Inventory and Order Management: To satisfy the demands of your customers across all channels, ensure that your product inventory is available and visible in real-time. Enjoy flexible fulfillment options to meet customer orders on time across different sales channels.
- Powerful integrations: This ecommerce framework offers several out-of-the-box integrations with B2B, ERP, and Amazon sales channels for your online store to increase efficiencies and expand your business.
Adobe Commerce offers an all-in-one package, Adobe Commerce Pro, with custom pricing. You must sign up with your details or contact the sales team online or by regional phone support to get a price quote, depending on your business.
- Provides phone and customer support by region
- Custom solutions for enterprise-level clients
- Wide range of built-in features for managing multiple stores
- Lacks a transparent pricing structure
Best Free WooCommerce Alternative for Running a Creative Business
BigCartel is a simple online store builder for artists and makers looking to create a small online shop to sell items such as art, clothing, t-shirts, merch, jewelry, and other unusual stuff that you may not find elsewhere.
Although WooCommerce is more flexible than this store builder, BigCartel allows you to dive into the code and create a unique design for your ecommerce platform in a few minutes.
You can still use and customize the available free themes to give your shop a distinctive appearance that matches your online business.
- Multi-Channel Selling: Sell online on your site or through Facebook and Instagram by integrating them into your BigCartel ecommerce store. You can also accept cash payments when selling in person or connect your site to payment processors like Stripe or PayPal.
- Dashboard: Through the user-friendly and colorful dashboards, you can view crucial business information and other metrics like the number of site visitors, sales, orders, and revenue generated over the previous week, month, year, or store lifetime.
- Inventory Tracking: Avoid running out of stock and keeping your customers waiting for long by tracking your inventory to ensure you have enough stock. Keep your customers informed by marking products as sold out or coming soon.
- Reports & Analytics Use the integrated Google Analytics feature to create reports that will allow you to monitor the progress and growth of your business. Analytics can help you find gaps or abnormalities that may require more investigation to scale highly.
- Sales Tax Autopilot: You can use this functionality to automatically calculate and collect sales tax on all orders to stay out of trouble with the law. You can also include shipment tracking during checkout to boost customer loyalty.
BigCartel has a Free Gold Plan with up to five products. The paid plans are Platinum Plan at $9.99 per month for 50 products and Diamond Plan at $19.99 per month for 500 products.
- Intuitive online store builder
- Offers a free plan
- There are no listing or transaction fees
- Only suitable for small creative businesses
WooCommerce Alternatives FAQ
From our list of WooCommerce alternatives, we have several ecommerce solutions that are way better than WooCommerce.
You have Squarespace, Shopify, BigCommerce, and Adobe Commerce which are ideal for large online businesses. But when it comes to small online businesses, you can start with Wix and Zyro.
There are also free ecommerce solutions like Shift4Shop for US merchants only and Prestashop for everyone.
WooCommerce is a free, open-source plugin for WordPress.
However, there are hidden costs like paying for third-party web hosting and premium extensions. You’ll be prompted to pay for customizable themes for your new online store.
Additionally, the shopping cart is free, but it may need several paid plugins to become functional when selling online.
Even though WooCommerce is a free WordPress ecommerce plugin, using it to run an online store can be more expensive than other ecommerce solutions.
Here is a breakdown of the WooCommerce hidden costs.
Web Hosting: ($5 – $60 per month)
Plugins: (Free – $150 per year)
Extensions: (Free – $300 per year)
Customizable Themes: (Free – $200)
Other Costs: Domain name ($15 per year), security fees ($10 – $450 per year), and developer fees ($1,000 – $6,000 per year).
So, it can cost between $100 – $10,000 per year to run your WooCommerce online store.
WooCommerce is the best ecommerce platform for startups and established brands operating on WordPress websites.
This popular ecommerce plugin offers many helpful features like customer engagement, inventory management, status updates, order tracking, and more.
So, WooCommerce can be used by small or large businesses looking to set up an online store and experience greater market growth.
WordPress is one of the best content management systems that allow you to create websites and blogs.
On the other hand, WooCommerce is a plugin for WordPress that brings ecommerce store functionality to a new or existing WordPress website.
Therefore, WooCommerce operates within WordPress, a content management system.
What Ecommerce Platforms Are Better Than WooCommerce?
WooCommerce is a leading online store builder, but it has a few drawbacks that make users seek other alternatives.
Several ecommerce platforms are better than WooCommerce, so you should pick one that best fits your business needs. And selecting one can be challenging and overwhelming for new business owners looking to launch an online store and enjoy maximum business growth.
Fortunately, we’ve made the selection process easier by providing you with the best ecommerce platforms so you can start selling online effectively.
Here are our top five picks for the best WooCommerce alternatives again:
If you still need more information to decide on the best WooCommerce alternatives, you can read through our more in-depth comparison reviews of various ecommerce platforms.