27 Best Online Gantt Chart Makers for Project Planning (2022)
Discover the best Gantt chart makers to easily create beautiful Gantt charts for more visual project management and better project planning.
Every project manager requires the right project management tools for planning, managing, and executing their tasks, projects, and activities with ease. One of the most popular and best tools for project planning is the Gantt chart.
With so many Gantt chart tools for project planning in the market, picking the best for your project management needs can be daunting. This article will show you 27 of the best online Gantt chart makers for project planning.
Let’s get started.
Best Online Gantt Chart Makers for Project Planning
Here is our best Gantt chart maker list for project planning to try out this year.
- Zoho Projects
- Toggl Plan
- Tom’s Planner
- Office Timeline
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Project
Best Overall Online Gantt Chart Maker
I recommend Monday.com because of its easy-to-use and straightforward user interface that provides powerful Gantt chart tools for your team’s projects. Monday.com’s work OS helps me keep track of project milestones and import data from other Gantt chart software options such as Excel. If you plan to improve your team’s coordination, check out this software.Try Monday.com
Monday.com is a web-based Work OS trusted by over 100,000 organizations worldwide, including Hulu, PayPal, Adobe, and Uber. As a free Gantt chart software, Monday.com offers compatibility with Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android devices. Monday.com is one of the best Gantt chart tools that gives project managers and teams the crucial tools they need, with Gantt charts being one of them.
- Comprehensive Dashboard View: Monday.com presents you with an intuitive dashboard allowing you to visually plan every aspect of your project. Dashboards allow you to track multiple tasks’ progress at once, view items from multiple boards on the same Gantt chart, and group these items by boards or by any other variable.
- Import from Excel: Seamlessly import your spreadsheets from Excel and convert them into smart boards so you can visualize them as Gantt charts.
- Quality Integrations: Monday.com provides integrations that help you collaborate seamlessly. They include integrations with popular productivity apps such as Dropbox, Excel, Google Calendar, Google Drive, Integromat, Slack, Trello, and Zapier.
- Advanced reporting and analytics
- Private boards and documents as well as guest access option
- A dashboard that combines up to 50 boards
- Free plan and 14-day free trial
- Limited reporting tools
- Limited activity log
- Lack of robust integration options
- Lacks powerful task dependencies
Try out Monday.com’s 14-day free trial on its basic and standard plans.
Best for Project Planning
I love ClickUp because it helps me organize and prioritize every task and helps me schedule multiple projects quickly. Consider this software if you are looking for the best Gantt chart maker to manage your schedule and dependencies.Try ClickUp
Trusted by Google, Webflow, and IBM, ClickUp is one of the best work management tools that equip you with Gantt charts to plan projects and take care of every other important aspect of your project timeline. ClickUp helps you quickly calculate your project’s critical path.
- Time Management: ClickUp’s dynamic timeline workspace gives you a seamless time management workflow as it lets you schedule tasks, monitor projects, track deadlines, and get rid of bottlenecks from a single interface.
- Automatic Task Rescheduling: Not only does ClickUp allow you to manage task dependencies through drag and drop actions, but tasks are also automatically rescheduled as you make changes to these tasks with dependencies.
- Dependency Tracking: ClickUp equips you with an intelligent dependency tracking feature, allowing you to recognize bottlenecks before they affect your project.
- Guest, private, and protected chart permission options
- Focus on security through multiple security features
- Unlimited tasks and members on a free plan
- Custom exports
- Customer-centric features
- Suitable for teams and solo users
- Cost-effective for teams and organizations
- Poor time tracking tool
- Lack of customized reports
- Mobile app
- Initial learning curve
Try out ClickUp’s 14-day free trial to get started.
Best for Team Collaboration
I recommend Wrike because of its project planning and interactive timelines that help me track my project progress and keep my project team on the same page. What I love the most about Wrike are its Gantt chart generator and dynamic timelines for easy visibility. If you are looking for the best Gantt chart platform that lets you easily assign tasks and plan your projects, check out this software.Try Wrike
Wrike is one of the best Gantt chart software trusted by over 20,000 customers worldwide, including Google, Lyft, and Dell.
- Dashboard: Wrike presents you with a dashboard that lets you monitor your progress through interactive timelines, receive real-time updates on what your team is working on, and visualize all subtasks and individuals working on them.
- High Task and Dependency Visibility: You easily assign tasks, create dependencies from these same dashboards and track them, so you never miss a deadline.
- Simplified Communication: Through its intuitive “@” tagging feature, this complete project planning suite allows you to directly tag only the relevant individuals and reduce unnecessary alerts for other team members.
- Multiple Projects: Wrike is a Gantt chart app that helps project managers control multiple projects using critical path analysis. Critical path analysis helps users prioritize tasks better to ensure timely project delivery.
- A free plan with a comprehensive list of features
- Integrations with file-sharing and cloud storage services such as Google Drive, OneDrive, and Dropbox
- Branded and customizable workspaces and workflows
- Detailed analytics and insights to calculate deliverables
- Two-factor authentication support
- Overwhelming for new users
- Difficult onboarding
- Lack of UI customization
Try out any Wrike’s paid plan for 14 days.
Best for Agencies and Professional Services
I use Teamwork because of its automated Gantt charts and project planning tools. Teamwork helps me easily track project progress, schedule progress status, estimate project costs, and communicate with my entire team. Consider this platform if you are looking for an affordable Gantt chart builder to map out your work and visualize your timeline.Try Teamwork
Teamwork is an all-in-one project management tool dedicated to managing client work, within which you have access to a Gantt chart view of all your tasks.
- Comprehensive View: Teamwork's Gantt chart allows you to view and manage your projects through a view that shows you your list of tasks, subtasks, dependencies, and attached milestones. You also view your entire timeline in months and days and the different individuals assigned to take care of each task.
- Automatic Workflow Saves: By activating the autosave feature, Teamwork automatically saves every change you make to your Gantt chart, so you do not lose any vital progress.
- Beneficial Integrations: Teamwork integrates with other platforms that help you maintain a seamless workflow. These include integrations with Google Drive, Zapier, Xero, Hubspot, QuickBooks, and Microsoft Office.
- Multiple quality integrations with top work software such as Google Drive, Zapier, Xero, Hubspot, QuickBooks, and Microsoft Office
- Collaborative document editing
- Advanced profitability reporting option
- Effective notifications and customizations
- Free trial
- No PDF or image markup tools
- Limited chart graphs
- The pricing plan is not suitable for small businesses
Try out Teamwork’s 30-day free trial on its deliver and grow plans to see if it meets your business needs.
Best for Gantt Chart Templates
I love Smartsheet's task management tools and powerful Gantt chart software options, which help me quickly create, share, and edit my Gantt charts in real-time. Consider this software if you are searching for a Gantt chart builder for creating Gantt chartsTry Smartsheet
Smartsheet is one of the best Gantt chart software released in 2006, offering you collaboration and work management solutions for your business workflows.
- Focus on Sharing and Collaborations: Share your projects with unlimited free users with Smartsheet. Users can collaborate in real-time with discussions, attachments, and notes available on any browser, device, or operating system with this free Gantt chart software. You can also share your charts directly to the web or download them in PDF or PNG file formats.
- Custom Views: Smartsheets’ Gantt chart dashboards remain customizable, meaning different individuals working on projects get a quick visual status report on the relevant tasks and elements they are working on.
- Templates: You have access to dozens of pre-built templates, not only for Gantt charts but also for web forms, to-do lists, and sales pipelines.
- Integrations with multiple cloud tools and calendars
- Extended import and export options
- Easy and quick chart creation through templates
- Automated alerts and custom notifications
- 30-day free trial
- No free version
- No mobile app
- Lack of reports on user activity
Try out SmartSheet’s 30-day free trial to see if it meets your needs.
Affordable Gantt Chart Maker with Multiple High-Quality Templates to Choose From
Zoho Projects is one of the best Gantt creator tools dedicated to helping teams plan, track, collaborate, and achieve project goals. As a project manager, you can use this platform to schedule progress status, upcoming tasks, and other auto-scheduling activities.
- Fast Dependency Creation And Editing: Zoho Projects’ Gantt chart allows you to easily create four types of dependencies for each task, edit and delete them, or adjust the time lag between dependent tasks as required by you.
- Baselining: You can set up baselines to properly compare your project progress over different periods. The end variance indication helps you identify delayed tasks, while slippage tracks tasks that have not started yet but have exceeded the baseline's end date.
- Templates: One feature that is not so common with other Gantt chart makers on this list is the templates Zoho Projects provide to you. You do not only save time through these templates but have the option of converting an existing project into a template.
- Color coding
- Multiple template options
- Drag and drop editing function
- Ease of use
- Fair pricing plans
- Responsive customer support
- Task and project tracking is efficient
- Poor dashboard functionality
- High learning curve
Try out any of Zoho Projects’ premium plans for ten days freely.
Best Online Gantt Chart Maker with Fast Data Imports and Visualizations
Although Asana is not a comprehensive Gantt chart tool, the free Gantt chart software offers you a similar chart through its Timelines solution. Asana integrates with Instagantt to provide Gantt chart features.
- Quick Data Imports: Through support for CSV file format, Asana allows you to quickly import your project data and immediately visualize them into intuitive project timelines.
- Scheduling Tasks: Thanks to Asana integration with Instagantt, the software provides Gantt chart features such as scheduling upcoming tasks, setting start dates and dependency lines, and other project planning tools.
- A very comprehensive tool for additional workflow management
- Fast project visualization and editing
- Expansive integration
- Easy to use
- Collaboration focused
- Unlimited tasks and projects on the free plan
- No time tracking
- Limited export functionality
Try out Asana’s 30-day free trial to find out if it is an ideal solution for your Gantt chart needs.
Ideal Online Gantt Software with Reliable Baselining Feature for Small Businesses
TeamGantt is one of the best online Gantt software trusted by top companies like Amazon, Netflix, and Nike that equips you with free and intuitive Gantt charts to plan, schedule, and manage your projects.
- Views: Easily switch between different dashboard views such as Gantt charts, Kanban boards, and calendar views with a single click.
- Intuitive Workspace and Workflow: TeamGantt presents you with an interface that is easy to get a grasp of. Alongside color coding for different elements of your project management workflow, you quickly draw task groups, tasks, and milestones on the timeline or convert tasks into a group of tasks or milestones with just a few clicks and drag and drop capabilities.
- Baseline Feature: You can take a snapshot of the current state of your project, then compare it with the projected progress.
- Guest Permissions: One other great feature offered by TeamGantt is its guest user access option. Individuals outside your collaborative circle comment on tasks or just view tasks through shareable project URLs.
- Exports in PDF format
- Intuitive interface
- Efficient project performance and progress tracking
- Easy conversion of tasks to groups and milestones
- Not enough third-party integrations
- High cost for large teams
- Sharing function is not ideal
Try out TeamGantt’s 30-day free trial on its premium plans.
Top Gantt Chart Maker with Great Expense Tracking and Management Features
GanttPRO is a dedicated Gantt chart maker trusted by over 700,000 project managers from different companies such as Intel, Sony, Salesforce, Vodafone, Booking.com, Nasa, and Invision.
- Project Tracking: GanttPRO helps you create Gantt charts online for planning and monitoring multiple projects at once.
- Multiple Import Options: You can import your project data from other project management platforms like CSV and JIRA, making your workflow more comfortable.
- Baseline Feature: Just like TeamGantt, and possibly even better, GanttPRO equips you with an intuitive baselining feature. Alongside closely monitoring project progress, you are helped with automated workflow adjustments based on task durations and project working days.
- Expense Management Features: GanttPRO also presents you with precise cost tracking and budget reports showing you the total cost (based on the assigned user’s hourly rate or the task’s fixed price) compared to the actual cost (based on the current tracked time).
- Extended Export Options: Alongside the general PDF export format, the software allows you to export in PNG, Excel, or CSV file formats.
- Extensive data import and chart export options
- Intuitive portfolio Gantt charts
- Access permissions for guests
- Simple and easy to use
- Ability to map task dependencies
- Document sharing and storage
- The mobile version needs improvement
- No freemium version
Try out GanttPRO’s free 14-day trial to see if it fits your Gantt charts’ needs.
Simplified Gantt Chart Maker that Offers Automations for Multiple Workflows
Paymo is a full-featured online Gantt chart creator used by thousands of customers including top companies such as Adidas, Toyota, and Stanford University.
- Multiple Visual Indicators: Paymo’s Gantt chart separates and visualizes different elements of your project workflow. Past due dates and broken dependencies are signaled in red. A darker green color indicates your task’s progress over a lighter one, where the budget has been surpassed.
- Automation: Manually and automatically make changes to your project timeline through additional auto-scheduling capabilities. You also have access to a critical path functionality that shows you the shortest route to completing your project with minimal risks. Your project start and end date are also automatically projected on the timeline.
- Extensive project templates, including dependencies
- Automatic determination of task durations
- Responsive customer support
- Effective time tracking
- 15-day free trial
- Huge learning curve
- The mobile version is not as intuitive as a web version
Try out Paymo’s features freely for 15 days.
Best Gantt Chart Maker with Ready-to-Use Prioritization Templates
Airfocus provides users with Gantt creator tools online for creating beautiful and shareable Gantt charts. Top product teams from several industries use Airfocus, such as Shopify, The Royal Chain, The Washington Post, and eBay.
- Prioritization: Make strategic product decisions with the aid of prioritization features such as Priority Poker.
- Roadmapping: Airfocus is a product roadmap software that helps you easily create robust product roadmaps within minutes. These roadmaps help provide clarity to all relevant members in the roadmap process. Airfocus helps you share beautiful roadmaps with your project team instantly.
- Team Collaboration: Use this feature to involve your team in your project plan and roadmap prioritization. Users can share the roadmap with stakeholders, clients, and other viewers thanks to its customizable sharing options.
- Integration: Connect Airfocus to your crucial tools such as Tello, Zapier, Jira, Asana, Azure, and DevOps.
- Customer support
- Enterprise-ready security features
- Fre plan and trial
- Limited features for free plan
- Better software integration with Jira and other tools
Try out Airfocus’ 14-day free trial to get started.
12. Toggl Plan
Free Gantt Chart Tool for Solo Users
Toggl Plan is one of the best Gantt chart builders in our Gantt chart maker shortlist that is suitable for solo users and small businesses.
- Gantt Chart View: Toggl Plan is one of the simple Gantt creator tools online that provide a visual overview of your team’s tasks and projects.
- Project Plans: You can use Toggl Plan for planning your projects. Consultants, freelancers, and solo users use this platform to create plans. You can make adjustments to your project plans in real-time.
- File-Sharing: Toggl plan allows you to share your Gantt chart diagram with your teams and clients. You can add team members and clients to your Toggl Plan account and share a view-only version of your project manager calendar.
- Time tracking
- Great overview and clear timeline
- Simple user interface
- Extensive range of features for the free plan
- A bit of a learning curve
- Costly premium plans
Try out Toggl Plan’s 14-day free plan to get started.
Easy Gantt Chart Maker with Multiple Keyboard Shortcuts
Celoxis is another reliable, fully-featured project and resource management software trusted by top companies such as Lufthansa, Rolex, HBO, and Whirlpool.
- Drag and Drop Editing: Celoxis’ Gantt chart allows you to edit your project task timeline through drag and drop actions. You easily reorder tasks in a hierarchy and make quick edits to dependencies.
- Autosaving: When this option is checked, changes to the project plan are saved automatically, ensuring that you avoid any progress loss.
- Keyboard Shortcuts: Multiple keyboard shortcuts are available to you for quick editing. These include “n” to add tasks, “e” to edit tasks, “delete” to delete tasks, and “CTRL+C” to copy tasks, among others.
- Easy task editing
- Dynamic saving options
- Direct chart printing
- Automatic task progress updates
- Multiple and customizable dashboards
- Ease of use
- Efficient and clear alerts and notifications
- No mobile application
- Lack of multi-currency support
Try out Celoxis’ free 30-day trial to get started.
Best Gantt Chart Software that Allows You to Create Tasks Using Direct Emails
ProofHub is one of the best online Gantt chart makers trusted by Nike, NASA, and Netflix that offers you tools to effectively and efficiently manage your projects.
- Visualize Tasks: ProofHub allows you to visualize your tasks in a timeline view, and add task lists and tasks to Gantt chart.
- Import and Export: Import tasks and task lists from CSV files in Gantt charts and export Gantt charts to other platforms.
- Private lists: ProofHub allows you to limit access to your task lists only to the assigned people.
- Email-in tasks: Quickly add tasks to your Gantt chart via email without logging in to your ProofHub account.
- Milestone Association Features: ProofHub allows you to set milestones for tasks and mark key dates, such as desired completion dates and even project review meetings on the project plan.
- Drag and drop capabilities
- Intuitive data import options
- Direct printing from the tool
- All visualizations on one workspace
- Unlimited users
- Easy and fast communication
- Clunky user interface
- No option for recurring tasks
Try out ProofHub’s 30-day free plan to plan your projects.
15. Tom’s Planner
Simple Drag-and-Drop Gantt Chart Software with Templates
Tom’s Planner is a simple project planning software used by over 178,117 people from companies of varying sizes such as Dell, Amazon, Unilever, DHL, Google, Amazon, Nasa, BBC, PayPal, Asus, and Oracle.
- Project Planning: Planning your project with Tom’s Planner is easy and does not require any learning curve. As long as you can use Excel, you can use this simple Gantt chart program.
- Team Collaboration: Tom’s Planner makes it easy for you to collaborate on projects with your team members easily. You can also share project progress with your clients.
- No learning curve
- High-quality templates
- Easy to use and customizable
- The software design is a bit outdated
- No function to limit the calendar size
Try Tom’s Planner free plan to get started.
Your Best Gantt Chart Software with Extended Gantt Types and Column Customization Options
Mavenlink is a time, resource, and project management software suitable for making Gantt charts that is trusted by Salesforce, RSM, and Cornerstone, among other top companies.
- Multiple Gantt Types: Mavenlink presents you with global Gantt charts and local Gantt charts. Global Gantt charts give you a high-level view of all your active projects, visually comparing scheduled and actual dates. Local Gantt charts present a more detailed look at each of your projects and the current status of all tasks and subtasks.
- Column Actions: To customize your columns, Mavenlink allows you to reorder a column by clicking on the column header and dragging it to a new position. You also quickly sort information in ascending or descending order by clicking on the column header or the small gray arrow that appears to the right of the column name.
- Instant view of project’s duration, budget, and burn rate, among others
- Color coding
- Timeline autosave option
- Multiple functionalities through varying Gantt charts
- Graphical user interface
- Real-time project tracking
- No freemium version or free trial
- No mobile application
- Small businesses may find it too expensive to use
Request a quote from Mavenlink to get started.
17. Office Timeline
Best PowerPoint Add-in for Making Gantt Charts and Program Roadmaps
Office Timeline is a free add-in for Powerpoint designed to create beautiful Gantt charts, portfolio slides, and project roadmaps.
- Gantt Charts: Office Timeline makes planning and creating Gantt charts or roadmaps easy. You can collaborate securely online and manage your project visuals with this application.
- Team Collaboration: Share Gantt charts, collaborate and communicate visually with clients, stakeholders, managers, other team members on the web. You can invite team members to view your Gantt chart or edit or share it further.
- Simple user interface
- Easily build shareable Gantt charts online from existing data
- Integration with Powerpoint and Excel
- Design could use some improvement
- Bit of a learning curve
Suitable Simplified Gantt Chart Maker for Small Businesses
Bitrix24 is a free online Gantt chart builder used by over 10 million+ users and has raving reviews from top review sites such as PCMag, SoftwareSuggest, Techradar, Inc, and Business Insider.
- Multiple Deployment: Bitrix24 is deployable as both a cloud and on-premises service. You can choose how much access and control you wish to have over your Gantt charts and data. Bitrix24 is also available on iOS and Android devices.
- Project Collaboration: Supports collaboration among teams and clients on projects, and automatically creates Gantt charts for you once you add tasks.
- Highly Extendable Functionality: Not only is Bitrix24 free, the software remains open-source, ensuring that you get an endless list of functionality available to you. You have access to an API for even more functionality.
- Employee Workload Planning: Alongside Gantt charts, Bitrix24 lets you allocate a specific number of hours and employees to a project and track time spent on this project.
- Additional time, document, resource, and client management features
- Workflow automation
- Efficient communication solutions such as HD calls
- Simple integration
- Easy file-sharing
- Cluttered user interface
- Expensive pricing
- Limited task statutes
Try out Bitrix24’s 15-day trial period for free.
Best Project and Portfolio Software for Interactive Gantt Chart
Clarizen is a scalable Gantt software tool that helps PMOs and project teams gain visibility into their activities, manage risks, and deliver projects faster.
- Real-Time Visibility: Provides dynamic reports and intuitive dashboards for you to review and access your objectives, targets, and projects.
- Drag and Drop Editing: Clarizen allows you to drag tasks left or right to alter their start and end dates. You also drag entire tasks in the Gantt while preserving their set duration, reordering work items, and creating dependencies between tasks with drag and drop actions.
- Task Tracking: As well as tracking tasks in sprints, Clarizen's Gantt chart gives you insights to track project tasks against milestones, giving you a form of baselining to work with.
- API access on all plans
- Up to 4,000 custom fields
- Unlimited projects and cases on all plans
- Social collaborations
- Reporting and analytics
- No freemium version
- Cannot transform reports dashboard into the PPT
- Limited mobile app functionality
Try out Clarizen’s 30-day free trial to test if it is the right fit for your business needs.
Top Project Tracking Software for Project Development Teams
Backlog is a project tracking software tool trusted by over 10,000 companies worldwide, such as Omron, Adobe, and SoftBank Robotics.
- Project Management: Backlog helps you track the progress of your project with Kanban boards, manage project schedules, and visualize tasks within large projects.
- Bug Tracking: Recording and tracking bugs is easier with bug tracking. You can push notifications for new issues.
- Task Management: Backlog helps users create, assign, and update tasks all in one place. You can break down tasks into subtasks and set due dates for each task assigned.
- Team Collaboration: Communicating and collaborating with your team is accessible with Backlog. You can integrate other third-party tools, such as Slack, Google, and Teams.
- Jira and Redmine importer
- Github support
- Effective email notifications
- Price is very high for small teams
- GUI can be more intuitive
Try Backlog’s 30-day free trial to get started.
Free Gantt Chart Maker with High Data Security
Agantty is a free, dedicated, and comprehensively featured Gantt chart maker trusted by over 330,000 users.
- Views: You enjoy a comprehensive view of your projects and tasks with Agantty’s Gantt chart views. Having a clear overview of your projects helps you avoid missing out on deadlines.
- Unlimited Invitations: Agantty allows you to invite as many team members to work on a project or guest users to view the project schedule.
- Multiple Export Options: You have multiple options available to you where you need to export your charts. Users can export as Excel and XML formats or share their charts through Google Calendar, iCal, or Outlook calendar links.
- Mobile Applications: Agantty and its Gantt chart generation capabilities are available to you through both iOS and Android applications, meaning you have access to an intuitive visual representation of your projects at all times.
- Free to use and open source
- Peculiar chart export options
- Portfolio Gantt chart
- High security for your data
- Unlimited teams and guests
- Keyboard shortcuts
- High security
- No comment/chat feature on tasks
- Bit of a learning curve
Try Agantty for free to get started.
Best Gantt Chart Software that Equips You with Automatic Data Update Capability
Scoro is a SaaS solution for professional and creative services trusted by top companies such as Grant Thornton, Mediacom, and Newton.
- Complete Dashboard View: Scoro's Gantt chart allows you to track progress, tasks, events, dependencies, milestones, and more in one view, presenting you with all the information you need.
- Real-time Updates: As team members and contributors log time and add tasks, changes are represented in real-time on the Gantt chart. You have access to a real-time overview of everyone’s workload and schedule tasks based on your team’s availability.
- Automatic Updates: Scoro allows you to minimize your manual work as it presents you with a solution that leverages interconnected data. You minimize manual updates as changes to linked tasks are automatically updated for all users.
- Additional functionalities for sales force management
- Automated chart updates
- Complete personnel and project tracking
- Free trial
- No freemium version
- Absence of contacts synchronization with Gmail
Try out Scoro’s Gantt chart features freely for 14 days.
Top-Rated Gantt Chart Software with Automated Email Reports on Project Status
Workzone is one of the best cloud-based Gantt chart builders that offer you document management, project collaboration, customizable reporting, resource management, task management, and time tracking functionalities.
- Automatic Updates: With Workzone, tasks and timelines automatically change as users make changes within the Gantt Chart. The automatic updates feature makes it easy to see the effects of changes across an entire project from a single view without seeking information from others manually.
- Expanded Dashboard Reporting Views: Your Gantt charts come with dashboard reporting views that give you insights into the number of tasks assigned to every team member. You have access to workload reports and calendar views to complement your Gantt charts, making it easier to manage projects.
- Color-coded Gantt status alerts
- Easy switch between Gantt charts and structured lost view
- Centralized project and timeline view
- You can save your project as a template
- Excellent API and great integrations
- Real-time insights and updates
- Not an intuitive interface
- No apps support on Google Play or Apple Store
Best Online Gantt Chart Software for Dashboard and Time Management
InstaGantt is a platform that previously served as an extension for Asana but now presents you with a standalone and more complex version of its project management software. This platform provides users with a simple but powerful Gantt chart maker.
- Undo Feature: InstaGantt presents you with an undo button, allowing you to restore previous versions of your Gantt chart without any hassle.
- Easy Progress Viewing and Navigation: You have access to a minimap rather than resorting to horizontal and vertical bars to view the relevant area of your project workflow. Enjoy an easy view of your project's health and easy navigation of your whole workflow.
- Intuitive Notification Feature: InstaGantt also implements a feature that shows you all the changes that have been made to your Gantt chart and projects during the time you were away.
- Uncommon undo actions in case of mistakes
- Exports in PDF, PNG, or CSV formats
- Instant snapshots
- Baselining for expense management
- Difficult to integrate with Asana
- Lack of support for moving multiple tasks at once
Try out InstaGantt’s 7-day free trial with no credit card required.
Easily Navigable Interface with Extended Design Elements
Canva is a graphic design platform that creates social media graphics, presentations, posters, documents, and other visual content. You can also use Canva as a Gantt chart maker to manage your tasks and entire projects.
- Project Visualization: Canva’s online designer tool allows you to visualize your projects on a timeline. Users enjoy more than 20 types of graphs to choose from such as Gantt charts.
- Drag and Drop Tools: Easily create and edit your Gantt charts with Canva. There is no learning curve or design skills required to use these tools.
- High-Resolution Charts: Canva supports the sharing, publishing, and downloading of your Gantt charts in high resolution. You can embed your Gantt charts in reports and presentations.
- Additional templates for slideshows, presentations, infographics, graphs, and emails, among others
- Integrations with multiple external social media and content creation platforms
- Free trial and free plans
- No learning curve required
- Limited templates
- Limited export settings
- Limited functionality of the free plan
26. Microsoft Excel
Top Spreadsheet Software for Team Collaboration
Microsoft Excel is a spreadsheet software tool developed by global tech giant Microsoft for Android, iOS, macOS, and Windows.
- Data Organization: The sole purpose of Microsoft Excel is to calculate, analyze, enter, and organize data.
- Graphs and Charts: Microsoft Excel helps you create Gantt charts and other charts. You enjoy office accessibility and numerous templates to create your charts and graphs.
- Customizable templates
- Integration with other Microsoft 365 tools
- Compatibility with a large number of file formats
- Data organization
- Learning curve
- High cost
Try Microsoft Excel’s 30-day free trial to get started.
Simple Go-To Gantt Chart Maker that Offers A Wide Range Of Customization Options
Microsoft Project (MS Project for short) is a project management software developed by Microsoft, designed to assist you in developing schedules, assigning resources to tasks, tracking progress, managing the budget, and analyzing workloads.
- Dynamic Customization Options: MS Project offers you flexibility in customizations as you get to change the color, shape, or pattern of Gantt bars. You can create new bar types, add text to bars, increase the height of bars, and change the appearance of link bars within Gantt bars.
- Views: Track tasks and activities for your projects with grid or board views.
- Tracking and Scheduling: Microsoft Project helps you set and track due dates and timelines for your projects. Assign tasks to members of your team with the software tool.
- Collaboration: Provides collaboration tools and features for managing all aspects of your project. These collaboration features include file sharing, setting editing permissions, and more.
- Very extended customization features
- Integration with other Microsoft 365 tools
- Responsive customer support
- Offers many channels for communication, such as Outlook, Yammer, and Skype
- File compatibility issues
- Requires training
Use Microsoft Project freely to know if it is the right fit for you.
Key Features to Look For in Online Gantt Chart Makers
Gantt Chart makers have their differences from app to app, but there are certain features that they must all have, irrespective of the app being used. These features are a must-have, and the absence of even one of them can cause troubles for your chart and, ultimately, your project.
Tasks are the things that you want to do. They are the reason for the existence of the Gantt chart in the first place. The space to input tasks must be visible on the left-hand side.
There are always multiple tasks and subtasks in any project, so the Gantt chart maker must be able to accommodate as many tasks as possible. Tasks are almost always horizontally arranged.
Time is the second most crucial part of a Gantt chart. The best Gantt chart builders show the entire time frame for the project and break it down into smaller time frames. If a task is supposed to last through a year, the year is what should show on the Gantt chart, with little markers to show months and weeks for achievement.
3. Gantt Bars
Gantt bars show the relationship between time and tasks. A Gantt bar starts where a task is supposed to start and ends where a task ends. The size of the bar does not matter; what matters is where it is.
A Gantt bar for a task can be at the end of the project, and it can even be at the beginning. In some vast and complex projects, a task can have multiple Gantt bars; this means different times (and probably types) of activity to be carried out.
4. Arrows and Milestones
In an online Gantt chart maker, arrows and milestones are another feature to look out for. Arrows show the relationship between Gantt bars, and this means that they tell you when a task is supposed to complement another task or when they are supposed to synergize.
Milestones are slightly different from arrows because milestones break tasks down into small bits to be achieved daily, weekly, or monthly. Depending on the size and scope of the project, there can even be yearly milestones. Milestones give you progress reports and let you know how a task is coming along.
If a task is not coming along, the arrows let you know if a task was affected by the failure or delay of other tasks and other tasks that are likely to be delayed.
A marker lets you know where you are on the Gantt chart. The role of a marker is to mark the day or week you are in and how many more weeks are left before completing the project. A little red vertical line that cuts across all tasks and bars shows you where the level of progress is supposed to be and how much time to complete the project.
Resources may vary from vehicles to staff and test subjects to boardrooms and even prototypes of the created product. The resources needed and used depend significantly on the project, but they still have to be input into the Gantt chart.
Using a Gantt chart helps you manage your budget and definitively gives set times to use specific resources. You know when the resources are supposed to be serviced or locked away and even prepare for any accident that might emerge from such resources.
Gantt Chart Maker for Project Planning FAQ
A Gantt chart maker is the tool you use to create a Gantt chart online. Ordinarily, you can create the chart on a piece of paper. Still, because of an increasing need for ease of creation and accessibility to a chart by other people, it is so much easier (and cooler) to do it on a mobile device in applications designed with that feature.
A Gantt chart is a graph that lets you know what to do and when to start and finish. That is the simplest explanation for it. Of course, its functions go beyond that to include resource management, multitasking, and even outsourcing. It is like having a master plan for a project.
The Gantt chart lets you know when each aspect of the project should start and when it should start and finish, the number of resources allocated to that part of the project, and other aspects that it can carry out simultaneously.
In the event of a problem, you can see how a problem in one place affects all other places and how you can avert or mitigate such a problem.
The best tool to create a Gantt chart depends mainly on the features you are looking for. A good UI/UX might do it for you, or it might be the drag and drop feature. It can also be automatic backups and access from multiple devices that you need, collaboration, and sharing.
For some projects, you need tasks to be color-coded, or you might need to make corrections to the chart on the go and others. Monday.com is the best overall Gantt chart maker for project planning.
You can create Gantt Charts in Excel, but there are no templates. You would have to do everything yourself to set it up. The first thing you will need to do is break down your project into bits that will form the basis of your chart.
You create a stacked bar chart but do not select the 100% stacked bar, which creates an empty bar. Then you start to input all the details you might need for your chart (time, date, resources, and more).
The average cost of a good Gantt chart maker ranges between $9 to $20 per user per month. However, if you want to enjoy advanced features, you will have to spend more than the average cost.
Your team size and nature of use also affect the costs. Gnatt chart maker plans for large-size teams are charged at a premium. The good news is that many Gnatt chart makers discussed in this article offer you a free trial to test its features.
Many Gnatt chart software offers a free plan, such as Bitrix24, Agantty, Monday.com, Paymo, TeamGantt, ClickUp, Teamwork, and Zoho Projects.
You can create a Gantt chart in Google Sheets using different methods. Users can create manually by using formulas and the stacked bar chart, using a pre-made Gantt chart template, and building one from scratch.
ClickUp is the best free Gantt chart maker with an intuitive task rescheduling feature for planning and organizing projects and supports unlimited tasks and members on its free plan.
Which Gantt Chart Software Should I Try
The ideal Gantt chart software provides all the features you need at an affordable price. Before choosing a Gantt chart software, consider your team size, integrations, customer support, and preferred deployment model.
The primary use cases of the Gantt chart markers have been provided below.
Luckily, most of the recommended Gantt chart software in this article offers trial plans that let you test their suitability for your Gantt chart needs.
If you are unsure of which recommended Gantt chart maker to use, check out our software comparison reviews (ClickUp vs. Monday.com, Wrike vs. Asana, and ClickUp vs. Asana) for more insightful information to help you make the right choice.