ClickUp vs Monday.com in 2022: Which PM Tool is Better?
Managing a project is a lot like toss juggling.
Like jugglers, project managers need to keep their eye on multiple things simultaneously – project goals and objectives, project tasks, budgets, milestones and deadlines, available resources, project deliverables, and so much more.
To effectively keep track of all these factors and keep the project running smoothly without feeling overwhelmed, you need project management software. The software provides you with a central place from where you can monitor everything happening within your projects at a glance.
ClickUp and Monday.com are two of the best project management software available in the market today. Both tools streamline the project management process and greatly improve efficiency and productivity within a project.
While both ClickUp and Monday.com are market leaders, when it comes down to it, you’ll have to choose one of them. So, which one is better?
To help you answer this question, we’ve done a comprehensive breakdown of both tools, including their ease of use, features, supported software integrations, customer support, and so on.
By the end of this guide, you’ll have a clear idea of which of the two is best suited for you and your team.
Table Of Contents
ClickUp Vs. Monday.com: An Overview
ClickUp is a web-based project management that offers a centralized place for businesses and teams to manage projects, collaborate, and manage resources.
In a world where there are more productivity and business tools and apps than you can count, ClickUp was designed to be a multipurpose tool that replaces them all. Instead of hopping from one tool to the other, ClickUp allows you to do everything from within the same platform.
As a result, ClickUp offers a diverse set of tools and functionalities, including goals, document management, instant chat, calendars, reminders, spreadsheets, email, custom workspaces, and custom workflows.
You can use ClickUp to manage projects, manage teams, automate your workflows, handle email marketing campaigns, manage calendars and to-do lists, organize company documents, and so much more.
In addition, ClickUp is totally customizable, which means that you can modify it as you want to suit the unique needs of your project or team.
Monday.com is more than a project management software. It is a work OS that allows organizations and teams to manage projects and build custom workflow apps to automate your projects, processes, and day-to-day work activities.
Monday.com was initially developed as an internal tool for Wix.com, a leading website builder.
With time, however, it spun off from Wix to become an independent company that currently boasts over 127,000 customers. In 2020, Monday.com was crowned the winner of the Webby Award in the productivity category.
One great thing with Monday.com is that it offers a code-free platform for building business apps. This means that anyone can use Monday.com to quickly build and deploy automated workflows, even if you have zero technical knowledge.
Despite its advanced capabilities, Monday.com comes with a highly intuitive and visual interface that is amazingly easy to use.
Ease Of Use
Having advanced features on a software solution is great, but without good user experience, the advanced features are not of much use, since people will avoid using the solution as much as possible.
So, how do the two tools compare in terms of ease of use and user experience?
ClickUp Ease Of Use
Being one of the top project management platforms, ClickUp offers a smooth user experience, which is made possible by the platform’s slick user interface. Despite offering a ton of features, the user interface remains simple and easy to use.
One major problem with ClickUp’s usability is the platform’s navigation. Rather than having a main list from which you can access all aspects of your project, ClickUp uses a hierarchical approach where different tasks and activities are divided into distinct spaces.
While this makes it easier to manage multiple projects, it means users have to make multiple clicks and go through multiple screens to view certain elements of the project. This also makes it harder to keep your eye on the bigger picture.
Monday.com Ease Of Use
Monday.com really aces it when it comes to ease of use. The user interface is clean and seamless, while the entire platform is highly intuitive. Setting up new projects and tasks is a breeze, even for first time users. You don’t need to go through hours of training to start using Monday.com.
At the core of the Monday.com’ user interface is the list, which gives you one-click access to all details of your project. This also makes it easier for you to keep your eye on every aspect of the project.
While both tools have put a lot of effort into providing a great user experience, Monday.com clearly takes the lead.
Monday.com is incredibly user-friendly and intuitive. The learning curve is minimal, which makes Monday.com a great choice for beginners, and the navigation is excellent. Monday.com is also highly customizable, which helps make the user experience even better.
When buying project management software, you want to make sure that the software has all the necessary features and capabilities you need. Below, we’ll take a look at how ClickUp and Monday.com stack up against each other when it comes to key features.
ClickUp Key Features
ClickUp provides multiple options for visualizing your project based on your preferences, as well as the key information you want to highlight. The different views include…
- List view: Shows all tasks in a list, with the tasks color-coded according to level of urgency.
- Task management board views: This view uses Kanban boards to visualize tasks, with the tasks categorized by completion stage.
- Box view: Shows a box for each team member, with the tasks assigned to the team member shown underneath.
- Calendar view: Shows tasks on a calendar, with color codes to show each task’s urgency level.
- Gantt view: This view uses Gantt charts to give a visual illustration of project timelines, as well as dependencies between project tasks.
- File view: This view is useful for showing all files attached under the project.
- Form view: If you’ve created any ClickUp forms, you can use this view to show all the forms.
ClickUp gives you access to an impressive set of task management tools and features that allow you to do all the following…
- Create and assign tasks
- Set up a multi-task toolbar
- Assign a task to multiple team members
- Sort, search, and filter tasks
- Drag and drop to reorder tasks
- Set recurring tasks
- Set different priority levels for tasks
- Perform bulk actions on multiple tasks, such as rescheduling or ticking off tasks
- Define task dependencies
- Make and resolve comments on tasks
- Attach files to tasks
- Set task reminders
- Create task templates
ClickUp comes with an excellent set of time management features that allow project managers and their teams to track time with ease and accuracy. With ClickUp’s time management features, you can do the following…
- Come up with time estimates, which you can then use to set project timelines and effectively distribute the project workload between your team
- Keep track of time worked across multiple devices, including mobile, desktop, and web browser
- Track and distinguish billable and non-billable time
- Import tracked time from third party tools and apps
- Compare time spent on a task against scheduled time
- Organize your team’s calendars
- Sort tasks by time spent
ClickUp is equipped with tools that make it a breeze for teams to collaborate effectively. Some of these collaboration features include…
- Real time document editing and sync
- Collaboration detection, which lets you know when others are viewing a document, typing, or adding a comment
- User tagging with @mentions
- Ability to assign comments
- Instant chat and discussions
- Ability to view what tasks are assigned to other team members
- Pulse mode, which shows online team members and the tasks they are working on at the moment
- Ability to add guests and allow them to view tasks
ClickUp allows you to save time by automating your routine tasks. This can be done using ClickUp’s pre-built automation recipes, or by building your own automation recipes that are suited to your unique needs.
With ClickUp, you can automate over 50 different actions, including…
- Creating new tasks
- Creating tasks statuses, as well as changing them when priorities change
- Applying tags, changing task priorities and changing assignees in response to status changes
- Automatically making updates to tasks when the tasks are moved to a new location
- Setting specific actions to automatically take place based on a trigger, such as due dates or status changes
- Build automations that work in sync with external apps
Reporting And Analytics
ClickUp also gives you access to advanced tools that allow you to collect data about your projects, analyze this data, and create highly detailed reports to present this data. Reports are a great way to keep track of project progress and effectively manage resources.
Monday.com Key Features
Whether you prefer a basic and muted view of your project or colorful and complex visualizations, Monday.com allows you to pick whatever view is best for you.
The different views available on Monday.com include Gantt view, Kanban view, timeline view, calendar view, workload view, chart view, map view, file view, list view, and form view.
While most project management solutions support automations, Monday.com really excels at this.
Monday.com comes with hundreds of pre-built “if-then” automation recipes that you can use to quickly automate your routine tasks. You also have the option of setting up your own automations from scratch.
Some of the tasks and activities you can automate on Monday.com include…
- Creating tasks and items
- Assigning tasks to team members
- Sending reminders and notifications
- Making status changes based on specific triggers
- Sending emails when a task is performed or when a due date arrives
- Moving items between boards
- Triggering specific actions based on dependencies between tasks
One thing that puts Monday.com over most other project management platforms is Monday Apps Framework, a low code/no code development platform that allows users to build their own custom apps that meet the unique needs of their business.
The benefit of Monday Apps is that it gives you unlimited flexibility. Some of the low-code apps that you can build on Monday.com include new automations, dashboard widgets, board and item views, integrations, workspace templates, and so on.
If you don’t want to build your own apps from scratch, you can search for readymade apps on the Monday.com app marketplace.
On the app marketplace, you’ll find apps designed for various business functions, including customer relationship management (CRM), marketing, collaboration, software development, team management, and so on.
While Monday.com has in-built time management and tracking features, they are not as extensive as what you get on ClickUp.
Monday.com comes with a timer that allows you to track the time spent on project tasks and activities. This can even be done on mobile. If you want more advanced time management features, however, you’ll have to integrate Monday.com with external apps.
The Monday.com team understands that projects are usually a collaborative effort between multiple people, and therefore, Monday.com comes equipped with useful collaboration features, including…
- Board sharing
- Task comments and discussions
- Task feedback and approval capabilities
- Real-time view of team workload
- Task status updates
- User tagging
- Guest access for external users
- Instant notifications
- File sharing capabilities
- Ability to embed video conferences within tasks
Data Visualization And Analytics
Monday.com comes with dashboards that allow you to bring together data from different boards into one place and visualize this data in dynamic and easy-to-understand ways.
What’s more, the data on dashboards gets updated in real-time. The dashboards can also be shared with just a few clicks.
With these dashboards, it becomes easy to gain insights about project progress and performance, as well as your team’s performance on different projects.
Both ClickUp and Monday.com have advanced features that streamline task management, enhance collaboration, and generally improve the productivity of the team.
Both also have time management features, automation capabilities, and advanced reporting and analytics capabilities.
While each tool puts different levels of focus on each of these features, the outcome of this round is a tie between the two tools.
ClickUp Vs Monday.com: Software Integrations
ClickUp and Monday.com both offer excellent project management features. If you want to use these tools for optimum productivity, however, you’ll have to extend their functionality with third party integrations.
So, what integrations do ClickUp and Monday.com support?
ClickUp Software Integrations
ClickUp supports integrations with 1000+ external business tools and apps. Basically, this means that you can connect ClickUp to all popular tools in the market.
Some of the supported integrations include Slack, Google Drive, Google Calendar, Dropbox, Everhour, GitHub, Gitlab, YouTube, Vimeo, Outlook, Webhooks, and many more.
ClickUp also provides a public API, which allows you to build your own custom integrations, essentially making it possible to connect ClickUp to any tool.
You also have the option of integrating ClickUp with Zapier, which makes it possible for you to integrate even more apps with ClickUp.
Monday.com Software Integrations
Monday.com allows integrations with over 50 third party apps and tools. Some of these integrations include…
- CRM tools such as Salesforce, Zendesk, Pipedrive, and Copper
- Ecommerce tools like Salesforce, WooCommerce, and Stripe
- Marketing automation tools such as Mailchimp, SurveyMonkey, HubSpot, Facebook ads, and Hootsuite
- Software development tools such as Jira, Github, Gitlab, and PagerDuty
- Project management tools such as Asana, Basecamp, Trello, and Toggl
In addition to these integrations, you also have the option of building your own custom integrations using the Monday.com public API. You can also use Zapier integration to connect Monday.com to more tools and applications.
Both ClickUp and Monday.com support Zapier integration and provide public APIs, which means you can set up your own custom integrations to connect whatever external apps you want to both ClickUp and Monday.com.
That said, however, ClickUp supports a lot more native integrations compared to Monday.com. This means you can easily set up these integrations directly on the platform, without going through the trouble of having to build your own from scratch.
As a result, ClickUp takes the lead when it comes to third party software integrations.
ClickUp Pricing Vs Monday.com Pricing
Pricing is a very important factor when choosing project management software. The best features and amazing user experience mean little if you cannot afford the tool. So, how do the two compare?
ClickUp offers five pricing plans:
- Free forever plan: This plan allows you to use ClickUp for free, for life. The best part about this plan is that it comes with a ton of features, including unlimited members and tasks, 100 MB of storage, email, real-time chat, collaborative docs, native time tracking, sprint management, in-app video recording, and round-the-clock customer support, making ClickUp one of the best free project management tools. The free forever plan is best suited for personal use.
- Unlimited plan: Designed for small teams, the unlimited plan costs $5 per user per month. This plan gives you access to all features available in the Free Forever plan, plus extra features, such as unlimited storage, unlimited integrations, teams, unlimited Gantt charts, guest access with permissions, goals and portfolios, and unlimited dashboards.
- Business plan: This plan starts at $9 per user per month, and is best suited for midsized teams. On top of the features included in the Unlimited plan, you also get unlimited teams, advanced time tracking, custom exporting, Google SSO, advanced automations, workload management, timelines and mind maps, and advanced dashboard features.
- Business Plus plan: Designed for multiple teams, this plan costs $19 per user per month. This plan gives you everything in the Business Plan plus custom permissions, custom role creation, subtasks in multiple lists, team sharing, custom capacity in workload, public API, more automations, priority support, and personalized admin training.
- Enterprise plan: This plan offers custom pricing, and is designed for organizations with many large teams. In addition to everything in business plus, the enterprise plan also gives you access to managed services, white labeling, enterprise API, unlimited custom roles, advanced permissions, dedicated success manager, guided onboarding, single sign-on (SSO), and MSA and HIPAA.
Like ClickUp, Monday.com offers 5 pricing plans:
- Individual plan: Designed for individuals who want to track their work, the individual plan is free forever, but is limited to only 2 seats. This plan offers unlimited docs, unlimited boards, 20+ column types, 200+ templates, and mobile support.
- Basic plan: Starting at $8 per seat per month, this plan gives you access to everything in the Individual plan, plus unlimited items, unlimited free viewers, ability to create a dashboard from 1 board, 5 GB storage, and priority customer support.
- Standard plan: This plan starts at $10 per seat per month. It gives you all the features in the Basic plan plus multiple views, guest access, integrations (limited to 250 actions per month), automations (limited to 250 actions per month), and ability to create a dashboard from up to 5 boards.
- Pro plan: This plan starts at $16 per seat per month. On top of the features included in the Standard plan, you also get time tracking, private docs and boards, formula column, integrations (limited to 25,000 actions per month), automations (limited to 25,000 actions per month), dependency column, and dashboards combining up to 10 boards.
- Enterprise plan: Designed for organizations that want enterprise-grade features, this plan offers custom pricing. With this plan, you get everything in the Pro plan, plus advanced reporting and analytics, enterprise grade security, enterprise-scale integrations and automations, multi-level permissions, dashboards supporting up to 50 boards, premium support and tailored onboarding.
Monday.com has a minimum requirement of 3 users for all paid plans.
Here, ClickUp clearly takes the lead for three reasons. First, their free plan gives you access to a lot more features compared to what you get on the Monday.com free plan.
Second, all paid plans on ClickUp are cheaper than the equivalent plans on Monday.com, with the exception of the business plus plan.
Finally, ClickUp does not have a minimum user requirement, which helps keep costs low.
For instance, to sign up for the unlimited plan on ClickUp, you only need to pay $5 per month. To sign up for the basic plan on Monday.com, on the other hand, you’ll need to pay $24 per month.
ClickUp Vs Monday.com: Who Has Better Customer Support?
While ClickUp and Monday.com are both easy to use, it’s good to know that you’ll get fast and reliable help whenever you encounter an issue. Let’s check out which of the two offers better customer support.
ClickUp Customer Support
ClickUp offers a resource center that makes it easy for you to troubleshoot and resolve issues on your own, rather than having to speak to customer support every time you have an issue. Here, you’ll find articles, videos, demos, webinars, and FAQs.
If you are unable to resolve an issue using the training material provided in the resource center, you also have the option of contacting the customer support team.
The support team is available around the clock, and can be reached through live chat, email, or by leaving a message on the website.
You also have the option to report a bug, request a feature, or ask for one on one coaching.
Monday.com Customer Support
Like ClickUp, Monday.com has a resource center for those who prefer resolving issues on their own. However, Monday.com’s knowledge base is a lot more extensive, with tons of articles, video tutorials, demos, and solutions.
The solutions section allows users to view solutions that are tailored to specific use cases, such as project management, sales and CRM, marketing, software development and so on.
Monday.com also offers live and on-demand webinars, a community forum where users can chat with each other and share ideas and solutions, a FAQ section, a customer success stories section, a blog, a podcast, and a feature request form.
The Monday.com resource center is also a lot more organized and easier to navigate compared to what you’ll find on ClickUp.
If you prefer having someone help you resolve your issue, you can reach out to the customer support team through a form on the website, or through email. The customer support team is available 24/7.
Monday.com wins this round owing to their extensive, easy-to-navigate and very helpful resource center, which makes it easier for users to find answers to their questions and resolve issues on their own.
ClickUp Vs Monday.com: Who Has Better Reviews?
Before choosing project management software, it’s always a good idea to look at reviews from people who have used the software before.
By looking at other people’s experience with the software, it becomes easier to determine whether the software will meet your needs, or whether it will be a disappointment.
So, what do previous customers have to say about these two project management tools?
ClickUp has received a lot of praise for being an all-rounded project management and task management tool. People also love its free forever plan, which gives you access to lots of features that you would have to pay for on other project management tools.
On the flip side, a lot of users feel that the user interface is not as intuitive as they’d have wanted. In addition, there have been some complaints about some automations not working as they should.
Still, ClickUp has glowing reviews. ClickUp has an average score of 4.7 out of 5 on G2 (based on 3,878 reviews), 4.7 out of 5 on GetApp (based on 2,400 reviews), and 4.7 out of 5 on Capterra (based on 2,483 reviews).
People who have used Monday.com love the tool for its intuitive and visually satisfying user interface, its excellent data organization, and great customization options.
Monday.com has also received praise for its automations, which work superbly, as well as the highly detailed tutorial videos in the knowledge base.
Despite the great reviews, a lot of customers feel that Monday.com is a bit expensive, while others have been disappointed by the very limited free plan. Some customers have also complained about its mobile app not working as it should.
Monday.com has an average score of 4.6 out of 5 on G2 (based on 3,293 reviews), 4.6 out of 5 on GetApp (based on 2,500 reviews), and 4.6 out of 5 on Capterra (based on 2548 reviews).
ClickUp and Monday.com both have rave reviews on the three trusted software review sites, but ClickUp slightly edges out Monday.com to take the lead on this round.
When To Choose ClickUp
ClickUp is a great choice for small teams that are just getting started with project management software.
With the free forever plan, such teams can easily get access to a ton of useful features without having to invest any money. Once you get to a point where you need more advanced features, you can then upgrade to a paid plan.
In addition to small teams, ClickUp is also well suited for those who regularly use a variety of business tools. Since ClickUp supports over 1000 native integrations, you can easily connect it to your favorite third party tool without having to build a custom integration.
When To Choose Monday.com
Monday.com is a great choice for larger teams that want to maintain a big picture view of a project.
Unlike ClickUp, which uses a hierarchical structure, Monday.com uses a grid based approach to organize information. This makes it easier to keep an eye on everything happening within the project.
Monday.com is also well suited for teams that rely heavily on workflow automation. This is because Monday.com has more powerful automations compared to ClickUp. The highly intuitive interface also makes it easier to build automations.
Finally, Monday.com is a great choice for teams that want to build their own custom apps that serve the unique needs of their business. Unlike most other project management tools, Monday.com provides a low code environment that any team can use to build its own unique solutions.
Best Alternatives To ClickUp And Monday.com
If you feel that both ClickUp and Monday.com are not well suited for your project management needs, there are some other alternative project management tools for you to consider. Let’s check them out below.
Owned by Citrix, Wrike is a powerful project management and collaboration software that comes with an easy-to-use interface and an advanced set of features.
- Tailor-made solutions: With Wrike, you can build your own solutions that solve the problems of a specific department within your business. This allows large organizations to use the same tool, while ensuring each department has a solution that works specifically for them.
- Real-time analytics: Wrike updates all data and analytics to your dashboards in real-time, which means you’ll never make a decision based on outdated information.
- Automations: Wrike allows you to put manual and repetitive tasks on autopilot, thus saving you time and minimizing errors.
- Collaboration tools: Wrike makes collaboration easy and seamless, with collaboration tools like file sharing, real-time comments, automatic notifications, live document editing, and so on.
Wrike plans range from $0 to $24 per user per month. There’s also an Enterprise plan that provides enterprise grade features at custom prices. A 14-day free trial is available for all paid plans.
Teamwork is a robust project management tool and workflow management platform that gives you access to enterprise-level features at pocket-friendly prices. It’s also a great option for those who want to manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Convenient task management: Teamwork’s task management features are pretty straightforward and easy to figure out, even for complete beginners. From creating and assigning tasks to setting priorities and adding milestones, everything is effortless.
- Collaborations tools: Teamwork is equipped with powerful collaboration tools, including document sharing, user tagging, task comments, note taking, discussions, real-time editing, guest access, and instant chat.
- Time tracking: You can keep track of time spent on tasks, track billable and non-billable time, monitor budgets, and set billing rates with Teamwork’s powerful time management tools.
- Automations: Eliminate errors and boost productivity by automating routine administrative tasks that keep the project running.
Teamwork costs between $0 and $18 per user per month. Advanced users can get custom pricing under the Scale plan. A 30-day free trial is available for the Deliver and Grow plans.
Asana is a popular project management tool that is loved for its simplicity. Despite this, it offers an impressive set of features, and is a great solution for those who want highly organized workflows.
- Multiple views: With Asana, you can choose between multiple project views depending on what works for you. Some of the available views include Portfolio view, Kanban view, list view, workload view, timeline view, and calendar view.
- Collaboration tools: Asana makes collaboration smooth and streamlined, with features such as automated task assignments, project chat, private chat, file sharing, team-wide announcements, task priorities, task status updates, and so on.
- Automation: Asana allows you to take manual work off your hands through automations. By using trigger and action recipes, you can automate all kinds of workflows and processes.
- Integrations: You can extend the functionality of Asana by integrating it with 100+ external apps, including MS Teams, Adobe CC, Azure Active Directory, Salesforce, Jira, Tableau, Zapier, Slack, MS Office 365, Google Apps, and several others.
Asana has three plans. The first is the Basic plan, which is free forever. This is designed for individuals.
The second is the Premium plan costing $10.99 per user per month, which is designed for mid-sized teams.
Finally, we have the Business plan, which costs $24.99 and is designed for larger organizations. A 30-day free trial is available for the Premium and Business plans.
ClickUp Vs Monday.com FAQs
All ClickUp plans are cheaper than the corresponding Monday.com plans, with the exception of the Business plan on ClickUp, which costs $3 more than the Pro plan on Monday.com.
Both tools come with a free forever plan, but ClickUp’s free plan offers more features and fewer limitations compared to Monday’s free plan.
While both ClickUp and Monday.com are reliable project management tools, there are a couple of differences between them.
First, ClickUp puts a lot more focus on task and time management, while Monday.com puts more focus on ease of use and automations.
Second, ClickUp is better suited for smaller teams and simple projects, while Monday.com is a better option for larger teams and more complex projects.
Finally, Monday.com is a bit pricier than ClickUp, which makes it better suited for teams without budgetary constraints.
ClickUp comes with a free forever plan for those who want to try the platform, as well as those who don’t need the advanced features that come with paid plans. ClickUp does not offer a free trial of their paid plans.
Just like ClickUp, Monday.com has a free forever plan. However, it is much more limited compared to ClickUp’s free plan. However, Monday.com also offers a 14-day free trial for those who want to try their paid plans before committing.
Both Monday.com and ClickUp are awesome project management tools, and the choice ultimately boils down to your needs. If you are looking for the best free plan, ClickUp is your best option.
If you are looking for a solution that is suitable for managing complex projects, and one that offers powerful automations, Monday.com is your best option.
ClickUp or Monday.com: Which Project Management Software Should I Pick?
ClickUp and Monday.com are considered among the best project management tools in the market for a reason. Both come with powerful features, yet they are simple and easy to use. They all come with impressive collaboration tools, and allow integrations with third party apps for extended functionality.
That said, however, ClickUp and Monday.com are not equal. Based on our evaluation, ClickUp is slightly better than Monday.com.
ClickUp beats Monday.com when it comes to third party software integrations, pricing, and customer reviews, while Monday.com takes the lead in ease of use and customer support. The two tools are at par when it comes to features.
While ClickUp has emerged as the winner in our rankings, this is not to say that Monday.com is not suitable for you. Both tools are a great choice, and therefore, the best solution for you will depend on your unique needs.
The best way to determine which of the two is best for you is to try Monday.com’s 14-day free trial as well as ClickUp’s free plan and see which works best for you.