Top 15 Freelance Project Management Software in 2023 (Free Tools & Apps)
Managing multiple projects as a freelancer can be frustrating sometimes. Even if you are great at organizing your work, there is a good chance for you to miss a few deadlines that can cost you your clients.
As a freelancer, your responsibilities include everything from advertising, drafting proposals, client onboarding, servicing, delivery, generating invoices, following up on payments, and managing your tax invoices as well.
For managing all your chores efficiently, you need advanced and robust freelance project management software. These applications help you stay on top of your deadlines and avoid the last-minute hassle.
Best Freelance Project Management Software Tools
The project management software tools available in the market may not interest you as they focus mainly on multiple team members. Here we have compiled some of the best project management software tools for freelancers suited for personal management.
Best Freelance Project Management Application with Instant Import and Export Features
ClickUp is an all-in-one application that helps you store and track all your tasks from a single platform. Its advanced project management features allow you to plan and manage your projects with visual charts and timeline views.
Build Documents and Knowledge Basis
ClickUp offers you one of the most powerful docs, allowing you to create internal and external documents, wikis, and knowledge bases. With colorful banners and buttons, you can make your content stand out and highlight the essential points. You can embed sheets and presentations in your documents as well.
ClickUp allows you to import from hundreds of software for free easily. You can easily switch from your outdated project management software by automatically importing your existing data and files. The application promises over 99.99% uptime, with advanced security features to keep your data secure.
Create Trackable Goals
Track your project progress easily with measurable targets and automatic progress tracking. With the help of clear timelines, you can stay on track and hit your goals. ClickUp allows you to trace your milestones visually, thorough progress percentage.
With ClickUp, you can integrate more than 1,000 applications into your software. These integrations allow you to boost your productivity with an interface you are already familiar with. You can either choose third-party applications, like Zoom or Youtube, or select one of their native integrations, built by ClickUp.
- Easy to use and an interactive interface.
- Efficient integrations, eliminating the need to switch between apps.
- 24*7 customer support
- Manage unlimited tasks with the free plan.
- 24/7 Support
- 100 Automations/Month
- Built-in Time Tracking
- Kanban & Calendar View
- 100 MB Storage
- Live Chat Support
- 1000 Automations/Month
- Guest Access Control
- Unlimited Map & Gantt Views
- Unlimited Storage
- Unlimited Dashboards
- 10000 Advanced Automations/Month
- Unlimited Teams
- Timesheets Integration
- Unlimited Timeline Uses
- Priority Customer Service
- 25000 Pro Automations/Mo
- Unlimited Subtasks in Multiple Lists
- API calls: 1000/Minute
- Custom Capacity for Workload
ClickUp has five plans – Free, Unlimited, Business, Business Plus, and Enterprise.
- The Free Forever plan is most suitable for personal use. You can create unlimited tasks, create Kanban boards, and email your clients directly from the application.
- The Unlimited plan offers you limitless storage options, creates Gantt charts, and allows you to manage your resources effectively.
- The Business plan gets you to access the advanced automation and dashboard features.
- The Business Plus plan allows you to create subtasks in lists, offers personalized admin training, along with priority customer support.
- The Enterprise plan offers advanced security options, including white labeling, single sign-on options, and guided client onboarding.
Try out ClickUp’s Free 30-day trial and get access to premium features, including advanced security features and automation.
Leading Project Management Software for Freelancers with a Visual Interface
Monday.com is an easy-to-use application, which allows you to visualize and plan your projects. You can manage your projects with Kanban boards, maps, or a calendar timeline.
Automate Repetitive Tasks
Monday.com allows you to automate all your administrative tasks, including follow-up emails, due date alerts, and status updates. By easily automating your day-to-day tasks, you can receive updates when your due dates arrive and send automatic emails to keep your clients in the loop. This helps save a lot of time and improves your efficiency.
Real-Time Data Insights
This visual project management tool allows you to create custom dashboards and timelines to track your project progress along with the budget. The timeline and calendar view gives you real-time insight into your data. You can also use the interactive dashboard to collaborate with your clients and keep everyone on the same page.
Create Gantt Charts
Plan, execute, and track your projects using Monday.com’s visual and flexible platform. It allows you to create Gantt charts to visualize your project milestones and track task dependencies easily. With Monday.com, you can easily import your data from spreadsheets and turn them into smart boards. With these powerful views, you can transform your data and make sure your project workflow runs smoothly.
Execute Ideas with Docs
Store all your ideas in a single place, and create workflows to execute them quickly with the help of docs. You can transform your text into action items and drive your workflow forward. The platform allows you to create a visual checklist, to keep all your ideas organized.
- Create auto-generated, fully searchable documents.
- Seamlessly integrate with hundreds of applications.
- Easily configure and customize the platform to fit your needs.
- It offers excellent reporting and analytics tools.
- 3 Work Boards
- 2 Team Members
- Unlimited Docs
- 500 MB Storage
- 200+ Project Templates
- Unlimited Boards
- Unlimited Team Members
- Unlimited Viewers
- 5 GB Storage
- 1-Week Activity Log
- Calendar, Timeline, Map Views
- 250 Actions for Automations
- 250 Actions for Integrations
- 20 GB Storage
- 6-Month Activity Log
- Unlimited Guest Access
- 25000 Actions for Automations
- 25000 Actions for Integrations
- 100 GB Storage
- 1-Year Activity Log
- Dedicated Customer Agent
- 250000 Automations
- 250000 Actions for Integrations
- Enterprise Analytics
Monday.com has five plans – Individual, Basic, Standard, Pro, and Enterprise.
- The Individual plan offers pre-built templates, along with unlimited boards and documents to organize your project.
- The Basic plan offers up to 5 GB of storage space and allows you to plan and manage your projects with Kanban boards.
- The Standard plan gives you access to timeline, Gantt, and calendar views, along with advanced integration options.
- The Pro plan offers more than 25,000 automation options and allows you to create formulas to perform data calculations, all within the platform.
- The Enterprise plan gives you access to advanced reporting features, along with actionable insights to improve on your projects. It also offers premium support and security features.
With Monday.com’s Free Individual plan, you can get access to more than 200 pre-built templates, mobile applications, and 24*7 customer support.
Affordable Freelance Project Management Platform for Tracking Billable Hours
Teamwork helps you increase your profitability and grow your business by enabling you to track all your projects and clients on a single platform. The platform allows you to track the billable hours easily and deliver your project on time and within budget.
Pre-Built Project Management Templates
Teamwork offers project management templates that help you save time, improve your processes, create a clear timeline, deliver projects on time, and make much better use of your budget. With templates targeted towards marketing, IT, operations, and management, freelancers can easily organize their projects.
Visual Kanban Boards
This freelance project management platform offers pictorial kanban boards to map out your workflow, view the status of your projects, and easily automate your tasks. These boards give you access to complete visibility over the logistics of your project, allowing you to track them in real-time. Kanban boards allow you to use columns like To Do, In Progress, or Completed to get a quick visual update of your tasks.
Teamwork helps you to stay on track with its time management features. You can stay focused, deliver your work on time, and get better insights using their built-in online time tracker. It helps you to efficiently manage your work, billable hours and organize multiple projects. The tracker lets you quickly generate invoices from your project timesheet for more efficient and accurate billing.
Collaboration with Clients
This project management software for freelancers offers powerful collaboration tools. You can give your clients greater visibility and offer them a more productive client experience. You can customize the client access through Teamwork, based upon their level of involvement. This helps you build more productive client relationships.
- Get complete visibility of your tasks through Gantt charts.
- With Calendars, get a brief overview of the upcoming tasks, milestones, and due dates.
- Create custom fields to manage and filter your information.
- Build personalized dashboards to view your performance indicators.
- 5 Users
- Different Project Views
- 2 Project Templates
- Time Tracking & Dashboards
- 2 Projects & 100 MB Storage
- Customer Support
- Gantt Filtering
- 10 Project Templates
- 500 Automations/Month
- 100 Projects & 50 GB Storage
- Unlimited Client Access
- 3 Custom Fields
- 20 Project Templates
- 1000 Automations/Month
- 300 Projects & 100 GB Storage
- Project Budgeting
- Unlimited Custom Fields
- 50 Project Templates
- 2000 Automations/Month
- Workdown Capacity
Learn more about Teamwork pricing
Teamwork has four plans – Free Forever, Deliver, Grow, and Scale.
- The Free Forever plan allows you to create subtasks, track dependencies, and view your projects through calendars.
- The Deliver plan gives you access to over 20 project templates, an in-built time-tracker to track your billable hours, and create Gantt charts to organize your workflow.
- With the Grow plan, you can set a budget for your project, create custom fields, and use project tags to manage your processes.
- The Scale plan gives you access to a profitability report, creates unlimited financial budgets, and offers 500GB of cloud storage space.
With Teamwork’s free 30-day trial, you can experience their advanced features and integrate the platform with multiple third-party applications.
Most Suitable Platform for Freelance Project Management for Scalable Growth
Wrike offers extensive features to maximize your performance, accelerate growth, and improve the overall customer experience. You can easily customize your dashboards, workflows, and web forms to align with your goals.
Create Interactive Gantt Charts
This freelance project management software allows you to easily track your project progress through easy-to-use Gantt charts. Its drag-and-drop interface allows you to create an intuitive visual timeline of your workflow. This helps you to plan multiple projects and streamlines your task management.
Advanced Project Reporting Tools
Wrike gives you real-time updates on all your projects. By storing everything on the platform’s cloud storage, you can gain better performance insights and minimize potential risks to your business. It offers a variety of pre-built report templates to customize the reports to suit your needs. You can use these reports to find your unique selling point and stay ahead of your competitors.
Seamless App Integrations
With Wrike Integrate, you can easily automate your entire workflow. It allows you to seamlessly connect to the cloud and on-premise applications and add customized automation to the platform. You can connect to more than 400 third-party applications and sync your data effectively. By setting up these no-code workflows, you can automate your entire process.
Cloud Data Security
This freelance project management software offers unparalleled cloud security features. Wrike lock allows you to control access to your data by creating your encryption keys. Used by Google and Lyft, Wrike offers you enterprise-grade security to audit your data access activity. You can also integrate an external key management service like Amazon Web Services to secure your main encryption key.
- Offers advanced tools for supporting scalable growth.
- Organize your tasks effectively with shareable Kanban boards.
- Use the time-tracking tool to track billable hours.
- Personalize your app experience with AI-powered work intelligence.
- Unlimited Users
- AI-Powered Processes
- Custom Work Views
- Different Project Templates
- Available in 8 Languages
- 2-25 Users*
- 2 GB Storage/User
- Custom Fields & Workflows
- Project Dashboards
- Calendar and Gantt Chart Views
- 5-200 Users*
- 5 GB Storage/User
- 200 Automations/User
- Enhanced Collaboration
- Resource Management Features
Learn more about Wrike pricing
Wrike has four plans – Free, Professional, Business, and Enterprise.
- With the Free plan, you can create interactive boards and integrate cloud storage applications to the platform, including Google Drive and Dropbox.
- The Professional plan allows you to create interactive Gantt charts and offer up to 2 GB of storage space.
- The Business plan offers automation engines, pre-built report templates, guest approvals and allows you to customize your workflow.
- With the Enterprise plan, you get access to advanced security features, including two-factor authentication, along with 10 GB of storage space.
You can try out Wrike for free for 14-days, and experience the power of a modern and agile platform.
Cheapest Freelance Project Management Software to Streamline Project Planning
nTask is an efficient freelance project management software that simplifies project planning and helps you keep your priorities in focus. The platform can help you manage your resources, track task dependencies, and generate a financial summary.
nTask allows you to stay on top of your work and manage your time more efficiently with its time-tracking software. You can keep track of the non-billable resources to get things done faster. The platform allows you to easily track your time and bill it to your clients through timesheets. By setting up automated reminders, you can receive notifications in your inbox when your projects are nearing budget depletion.
Issue and Bug Tracking Software
This project management platform for freelancers allows you to track bugs and issues and streamline your processes easily. The platform assigns a unique ID to all the issues it tracks, making it easier for you to find and refer to them when needed. You can export the issue report in .csv format with a single click.
Robust Risk Management Features
With nTask’s robust risk management features, you can identify, document, prioritize, and manage risks easily for the successful delivery of your projects. You can customize the risk register to suit your needs and create personalized categories for easy filtering.
Organize with Kanban Boards
Manage your workflows easily with the help of visual, real-time kanban board tools. It improves your workflow by planning and sorting out your processes. These boards can also be used for prioritizing tasks and linking projects for easier navigation. This project management software for freelancers offers pre-built board templates for maximizing your productivity.
- Create Gantt charts for smooth workflow visualization.
- Make quick, data-driven decisions with the help of advanced reporting features.
- Track time with nTask’s automated web timer.
- Create dedicated workspaces to keep all your data in one place without losing any information.
- 5 Users
- Unlimited Tasks
- Unlimited Workspaces
- Unlimited Projects
- Gantt & Kanban View
- Subtasks & Dependencies
- 5GB Storage
- Custom Fields
- Risk Tracking
- Priority Support
- 10GB Storage
nTask has three plans – Basic, Premium, and Business.
- The Basic plan allows you to create and personalize unlimited workspaces, create timesheets, and give you access to 100MB of storage space.
- With the Premium plan, you can easily create visual Kanban boards and Gantt charts.
- The Business plan offers 10GB of cloud storage to its customers, allows you to create custom fields, manage your risks, and gives you access to pre-built Kanban board templates.
With nTask’s free 14 day trial, you get access to unlimited workspaces and tasks, along with tracking issues and bugs in your workflow. You can save up to 33% by subscribing to their annual plan.
Top Freelance Project Management Tool with Smart Automations
Bonsai helps you integrate with multiple platforms and automate every step of your business. It enables you to create structured proposals with precise estimates, allowing you to close deals faster.
Create Stellar Proposals
Use flexible proposal templates and customize them to fit your branding. These carefully crafted proposals help create a seamless client experience and improve your acceptance rate. You can personalize these proposals by adding project details and payment options. Streamline your approvals by providing multiple service options and tracking your proposal.
Flexible Invoicing Options
With smart invoices, automate all your processes, from creating invoices to reminding your client for payment. Bonsai’s global payment options help freelancers get paid faster and avoid late payments from clients.
Robust Time Tracker
This freelance project management software allows you to manage your hours and create timesheets for your clients. You can easily set up an hourly rate for your project and generate automatic invoice receipts to forward them to your clients. The tracker can be used on the web, mobile, macOS app, or chrome extension.
Easy-To-Use Financial Tools
With Bonsai’s powerful financial tools, you can keep a tab on your business finances with the help of income reports and expense tracking. These reports help you track your profits for different times of the year. The platform also simplifies your tax returns with quarterly and yearly tax reminders, along with estimating your taxes and notifying you about the due dates.
- Create customizable, legally-binding online contracts to secure your business with your clients.
- Powerful tools to add leads, manage existing clients, and organize multiple projects.
- Create custom web forms to collect input from your clients easily.
- Get paid with Bonsai cash.
Bonsai has two plans – Workflow and Workflow Plus.
- The Workflow plan allows you to create unlimited proposals and legally-binding contracts with your clients. You can also manage and onboard new clients through their CRM feature.
- With the Workflow Plus plan, you can customize and create client forms and questionnaires. Along with premium customer support, you can also integrate Bonsai with Calendly.
Get two months free by subscribing to Bonsai’s annual plan subscriptions.
7. Toggl Plan
Best Project Management Platform for Freelancers for Creating Visual Roadmaps
Toggl plan allows you to plan projects, stay on track, and deliver your projects on time. You can easily visualize your plans with this platform, balance your workload, and achieve your project goals.
This freelance project management platform offers visual project planning features for boosting your productivity. Toggl plan allows you to create a visual timeline to organize your project schedules with the simple drag-and-drop feature. With color-coded milestones and automatic due date reminders, you can make sure to never miss out on a deadline.
Powerful Resource Planning Tools
You can easily maximize your billable hours by visualizing your workloads and balancing your resources. Toggl’s powerful resource planning tools, when combined with a visual timeline, help you schedule all your tasks and balance out your workload. You can also manage your timeline on the go with the help of iOS and Android mobile applications.
Effective Task Management Features
Toggl helps you plan, track, and keep your tasks up to date with the help of a task board. Easily customize your tasks by inserting fields to add more details. You can store all the documents and checklists related to your projects in a centralized cloud location. Colour coding your tasks based on their priority would help you focus better on the important stuff.
- Share project URLs with your client to keep them in the loop.
- Easy drag and drop interface.
- It offers a clean timeline with visual indicators for milestones and due dates.
- Organize your projects into Kanban boards.
Toggl Plan has three options – Solo, Team, and Business.
- The Solo plan allows you to create unlimited workspaces, project timelines, milestones, and tasks.
- The Team plan offers a visual workload management tool and allows you to manage recurring tasks efficiently.
- With the Business plan, you get access to advanced security features, including a single sign-on option. You can also export your project data reports easily.
With the Free Solo plan for freelancers, you can create unlimited workspaces and tasks, along with setting up email notifications.
Free Project Management Software for Freelancers with Seamless Syncing Across Devices
Any.do is an award-winning application to get your projects organized and increase your productivity. Seamlessly sync your data across all your devices, manage your tasks, and set reminders, all from within the app.
Powerful To-Do List App
Any.do allow you to quickly achieve your goals and organize all your tasks with their list tool. You can color-code your tasks to set priority and add attachments and notes to insert all the extra details. The list app also allows you to set reminders about due dates and milestones so you never miss a deadline.
Efficient Calendar Tool
Control and organize your tasks and events with the help of our calendar tool. Easily combine your social events, business meetings, and day-to-day tasks to manage your time efficiently. The tool can be easily accessed with their home screen widget, so you never miss a deadline.
With this freelance project management software, you can create smart reminders for your daily, weekly, and monthly commitments. These reminders can be integrated with Amazon, Alexa, Google Assistant, and Siri as well. You can also set location-based reminders to nudge you about important tasks and amplify your productivity.
Free Daily Planner
Any.do’s ultimate daily planner allows you to get a quick view of your day’s tasks and prioritize the ones that matter. Planning your tasks helps you save time and focus on the most critical goals. The platform’s smart planner shows you your tasks one by one and lets you decide whether you want to prioritize them, reschedule them, or delete them altogether.
- Flexible calendars with beautiful themes and turbo-charging powers to save your time.
- Access the platform from your mobile, laptop, desktop, tablet, or even your watch.
- Intuitive and simple interface.
- Dedicated section to manage day-to-day tasks like grocery shopping.
Any.do has two plans – Basic and Premium.
- The Basic plan is their staple offering, which allows you to access their calendars, create to-do lists, set reminders, and plan your day-to-day tasks without any restrictions.
- With the Premium plan, you can customize themes to match your brand, get access to WhatsApp reminders, and unlock location reminders for your mobile.
Any.do has one of the best and fully-featured Free plans, allowing you to organize and prioritize your daily tasks without any restrictions.
Top Freelance Project Management Platform with Customizable Workflows
Trello allows you to manage projects and organize your tasks efficiently. The platform’s intuitive features help you customize your workflows according to your client’s expectations, from setting up meetings and projects to planning events and goals.
Organize Your Work with Trello Cards
Dive into your project details with the help of descriptive Trello cards. These cards contain an ecosystem of checklists, due dates, and attachments to help you stay on top of your client’s needs. You can use these Trello cards to manage, track, and share every part of your project plan.
Built-In Automation Features
Trello’s built-in automation tool, Butler, reduces the number of tedious and repetitive tasks. This powerful no-code automation tool uses natural language commands to create custom buttons, upcoming surface deadlines, schedule your assignments, and automate repetitive actions like moving lists or setting due-date reminders.
Multiple Project Views
View your project from every angle with Trello’s multiple project views. You can use board, timeline, table, calendar, dashboard, or map views, to see your project from a fresh perspective. Trello boards help you break down your projects into simple tasks and get things done more efficiently. The dashboard offers actionable visual insights to manage your workload.
Seamless Integration with Work Tools
This project management software for freelancers can be connected to hundreds of third-party applications and tools. From advanced reporting tools to creating custom fields with your Trello boards, you can fine-tune every specific need. You can either add external applications like Dropbox, Google Drive, and Slack or integrate with Trello’s in-built tools like Dashcards and Card Snooze.
- Access Trello from multiple devices due to its responsive design.
- Get notified about every action taken in your Trello board, including every comment your client makes.
- Simple and user-friendly interface.
- Real-time and cloud-based applications allow you to collaborate with your client efficiently.
Trello has four plans – Free, Standard, Premium, and Enterprise.
- The Free plan allows you to create unlimited Trello cards, store limitless files in their cloud storage, and customize your platform background to fit your branding.
- The Standard plan offers advanced checklists, creates custom fields, and saves searches for easy future access.
- With the Premium plan, you can access multiple project views, the unlimited command runs, and priority support features.
- The Enterprise plan offers advanced admin and security features, including attachment permissions and Google sign-in. The plan helps you power up your administration process.
Trello offers a Premium 14-day Free trial to their customers, giving you access to unlimited boards, multiple views, and automation.
10. Fiverr Workspace
Leading Freelance Project Management Tool with Seamless Invoicing and Payment Options
Fiverr Workspace, previously known as And.co, helps you automate your freelancing business. It handles every aspect of your business, including proposals, contracts, organizing tasks, time tracking, invoicing, and seamless payment.
Create beautiful proposals with this freelance project management tool. It offers customizable, pre-built proposal templates that can be branded within seconds. All you have to do is add custom slides, images and brand them to suit your personality. The E-signing feature helps you approve proposals without having to print them beforehand. With smart alerts, you can get notified about everything, from when your proposal is viewed to when your client signs it.
Fiverr Workspace’s smart invoicing tool makes sure you get paid on time. The platform can be used to create invoices automatically and forward them to your client. It also sends you an alert once your customer has viewed the invoices. Integrate it easily with the built-in time tracking tool to bill your hours to your client automatically. You can create an invoice in the currency of your choice.
The platform makes sure freelancers get paid quickly and securely. With Fiverr Workspace, you can accept payment in any currency made via bank transfer or credit card. You get automated, real-time alerts through your software every time you get paid. Minimal fees, bank-grade security features, and daily payouts make it easier for you to get paid faster.
On-Demand Insight Reports
Powerful, user-friendly reports help you analyze how your business is growing over time. You can share these visual reports with your stakeholders as well to keep them in the loop. The platform allows you to get a detailed overview of your income, invoices, expenses, and billable expenses. This helps you understand your business in and out.
- Offers advanced contracts that help build a secure, mutual, and fair relationship with your client.
- Set up easy subscriptions for automatic, recurring payments based on your billing schedule.
- Automatically track your expenses to generate tax reports.
- Generate automatic invoices based on your tracked time to get paid faster and seamlessly.
Fiverr Workspace has two plans – Free and Unlimited.
- The Free plan allows you to streamline your business tools, get your payments done effortlessly, and use advanced contracts.
- With the Unlimited plan, you can access unlimited client management features, custom-branded documents, and priority customer support.
With Fiverr Workspace, you get a 30-day money-back guarantee, where you can cancel your membership within 30 days and get a full refund.
Affordable Project Management Platform for Freelance Software Developers
Github allows you to create issues, break them into doable tasks, track relationships, and collaborate with your clients. The platform enables you to sort your projects as boards or spreadsheets and automate your tasks with code.
Advanced Security Features
Secure your code as you write it. With this freelance project management platform, you can automatically review every change made to the codebase. It helps you view all the vulnerabilities before your software reaches the production phase. The platform also allows you to host your code in private GitHub Repos, making it accessible to you and the people you share it with. You can set up two-factor authentication to add an extra layer of security to your account.
Connect Your GitHub to Any Device
You can access GitHub from your mobile, tablet, laptop, or desktop. The platform lets you skip the visual UI and switch to a powerful text interface for easy viewing on mobile devices. GitHub is compatible with both Windows and iOS software.
Powerful Project Management Features
With GitHub Issues, you can keep your requests and bugs more organized. The tool is engineered especially for software developers to work on small or big initiatives efficiently. With the help of labels, you can manage your tasks within the platform and prioritize those needing immediate attention. With GitHub’s unified contribution chart, you can view all your contributions made to the GitHub enterprise over the years.
This freelance project management tool allows you to accelerate your planning and organization with the help of automation. You can automatically detect issues, set values for custom fields, and schedule meetings with your clients. With GitHub, you can view, create, or manage your issues in your browser, tablet, or iPad.
- Filter, sort, or group your issues and pull requests easily with the help of GitHub tables.
- Easily track the status of issues with the help of progress indicators.
- Create keyboard shortcuts for every action or command to boost your coding speed.
- View your platform in different modes, including boards, tables, and timelines.
GitHub has three plans – Free, Team, and Enterprise.
- The Free plan offers unlimited public and private repositories. Get access to flexible features for project management that adapts to any project and workflow.
- With the Team plan, you get access to GitHub codespaces, enforce restrictions on how your code branches are merged, and create over 3,000 automation.
- The Enterprise plan offers advanced security features like automatic version updates, single sign-on, and advanced auditing. Along with priority support, you also get access to GitHub Connect.
You can access GitHub’s Enterprise plan free for 14 days and enjoy premium collaboration, security, and project management features.
Leading Project Management Platform for Freelancers with Real-Time Insight
Asana helps you track your work from every angle to get real-time insight into your projects. With multiple project views, you can easily organize all your tasks and prioritize them as per your client’s expectations.
Create Kanban Boards
Asana lets you visualize your progress with the help of digital Kanban boards. With the help of columns and cards, you can plan out multiple projects and customize your workflow accordingly. It helps you prioritize your tasks, spot roadblocks, and visualize the progress of your projects. Asana lets you view all your projects in a simple, centralized dashboard so that you can create clear processes.
Set Strategic Goals
Setting up your goals help you stay on track and keep your client on the same page. Strategic goals allow you to prioritize tasks and make better data-driven decisions. It enables you to work better and deliver measurable results.
Get Real-Time Insights
This freelance project management platform helps you view your data in real-time. Interactive dashboards allow you to estimate the progress of your projects with visual charts and metrics. Asana lets you create charts based on any data, either from scratch or with pre-built templates. These fully-customizable dashboards offer reports across different projects without any manual updating.
Streamline Processes with Automation
With Asana’s Rules feature, you can save more time by automating routine and repetitive tasks. This helps you spend more time on strategic tasks. The platform allows you to build your custom rules and set them according to your needs. By automating your tasks, you can make reliable and error-proof processes to reduce bottlenecks.
- Create a Timeline view to manage your tasks visually.
- Get access to more than 50 pre-built templates and customize them to fit your needs.
- Manage all your work on a single platform with more than 200 third-party integrations.
- Customize your workflows and manage everything, from creative production to customer onboarding.
- Unlimited Projects & Tasks
- Unlimited Storage & Logs
- 100+ Free Integrations
- Status Updates
- Calendar View
- Unlimited Dashboards
- Workflow Builder
- Task Dependencies
- Task Templates
- Timeline & Milestones
- Workload Management
- Advanced Reports
- Built-in Time Tracking
- Create Custom Rules
- Premium Integrations
Learn more about Asana pricing
Asana has three plans – Basic, Premium, and Business.
- The Basic plan allows you to create unlimited tasks and projects. With limitless cloud storage, calendar views, and time-tracking applications, you can store and manage all your projects.
- With the Premium plan, you can view your projects in a timeline view and create unlimited dashboards. You can create custom fields and reports across unlimited projects.
- The Business plan allows you to set strategic goals, balance your workload, and integrate with advanced applications, including Salesforce and Adobe Creative Cloud.
With Asana, you can access its Free forever Basic plan and get access to unlimited cloud storage and more than 100 third-party app integrations.
Most Suitable Freelance Project Management Tool with Sprint Planning Tools
Jira is an agile project management tool for freelancers, offering scrum tools and kanban boards to manage your projects effectively. With roadmaps, reports, and powerful integration options, you can easily track and manage multiple projects with a single tool.
Plan Smarter with Roadmaps
Jira allows you to build personalized roadmaps to plan your projects smartly and effectively communicate with your clients. They also help you predict your future outcomes and stay on track to achieve your goals. With the help of a single view, you can see all your important initiatives in a single place and track how you are making progress.
Agile Reporting Features
This freelance project management software helps you deliver value to your customers faster with the help of real-time insights. These agile reports and interactive dashboards allow you to make data-driven decisions about your business. Stay on track of your goals with sprint reports, burndown charts, and velocity graphs.
Jira lets you focus on essential tasks and work smarter with the help of an automation engine. You can skip all the repetitive tasks by setting them as automatic codes, which allows you to focus on more crucial aspects. You can use the automation engine to sync your work across different devices. Jira offers a wide range of templates for you to create automation easily without writing a single line of code.
This project management tool for freelancers helps you manage your work and plan out your projects on the go. With Jira mobile application, you can create, edit, and update projects through simple touch and scroll. You can update your work items and attach files all from within the mobile application. You can access Jira on both android and iOS mobiles or tablets.
- Highly configurable and flexible interface.
- Customizable scrub and kanban boards help you manage your projects and deliver valuable performance insights.
- Visualize and measure your progress with end-to-end DevOps tools.
- Build automation rules quickly with a drag-and-drop interface.
- Integrate seamlessly with more than 3000 applications.
Jira has four plans – Free, Standard, Premium, and Enterprise.
- The Free plan allows you to manage your projects through scrum or kanban boards. You can also create customizable workflows and basic roadmaps to plan out multiple processes.
- The Standard plan offers integrations with hundreds of applications, assign project roles, and access advanced permissions.
- The Premium plan allows you to access advanced admin insights, along with unlimited cloud storage.
- With the Enterprise plan, you access 24/7 premium support and security features, including password policies, audit logs, and IP allowlisting.
With Jira’s 7 days free trial, you can access their unlimited storage options and premium support features.
Affordable Project Management Platform for Freelancers with a User-Friendly Interface.
Basecamp is an all-in-one toolkit that helps you work remotely and organize all your tasks in a single location. The platform offers dedicated tools to plan out your work, share status updates with your client, and ask all the relevant questions.
Split Your Work into Doable Tasks
Divide up your project easily into individual tasks. This helps you to organize a complex project easily. These tasks can be further divided into subtasks, depending upon your requirements. These individual tasks store all the relevant information, client conversations, files, milestones, and due dates.
Every project in Basecamp includes a detailed schedule containing all the events and a to-do checklist for the project. These schedules make sure that you never forget or miss out on any important information. The projects and the schedules can be viewed by the client, making sure everyone is on the same page.
Track Projects with Hill Charts
This freelance project management platform offers Hill charts that work alongside to-dos and show you the actual project progress. These charts get updated every time you update your to-do lists. A screenshot is saved in your project history to help you keep a tab on all the chart updates. It enables you to identify bottlenecks and gives you an idea of what to focus on next.
Basecamp offers an easy-to-understand interface for your clients, offering them a minimal learning curve. You can share all the latest project updates with your clients at a single, organized location. You can collaborate with them through instant messaging and share your schedules and to-do lists.
- Easily create to-do lists and set due dates to stay on top of deadlines.
- Collaborate with your clients through message boards and customize your post types.
- Create schedules for all projects and integrate them with Google calendar and outlook.
- Access smart invoicing tools with advanced integration options.
- Get a quick insight into your project with efficient insights.
Basecamp has two plans – Personal and Business.
- Basecamp’s Personal plan is best suited for freelancers and students. It offers up to 1 GB of cloud storage space along with instant message boards.
- The Business plan allows you to create unlimited projects and up to 500GB of storage space. With advanced client access and pre-built project templates, you can manage multiple projects seamlessly.
Save up to 15% by subscribing to Basecamp’s annual package. The platform also offers free plans for teachers and students.
Cheapest Freelance Project Management Application With Pre-Built Templates
Notion allows you to connect your documents and projects and create a single workspace for your business. This advanced note-taking application helps you store your daily work and knowledge side by side, so you never miss out on context.
Notion allows you to create workflows the way you like. With an easy drag-and-drop interface, you can plan out all of your projects and divide them into tasks or subtasks. This gives you a simple and visual idea of what needs to be done immediately and what tasks you can reschedule for another time.
Take Down Notes
This project management tool for freelancers is an advanced note-taking application that helps you capture your notes quickly and organize them the way you want. It offers distraction-less writing with a blank space. With the help of keyboard shortcuts, you can type uninterruptedly and boost your productivity. The platform allows you to choose from various content types, including images, videos, and programming code.
Notion allows its users to store all of the vital information at one centralized location. You can use these wikis to add different content types, including lists and images. The easy drag-and-drop interface can then be used to rearrange them based on their importance. It can be integrated with more than 50 applications, including Twitter and GitHub.
- Reach out to the public by making any Notion page a publicly-accessible website with a single click.
- Collaborate with your clients in real-time.
- Nest your sub-pages inside pages for easy navigation and organization.
- Access more than 50 pre-built, customizable templates to plan and manage your business.
Notion has four plans – Personal, Personal Pro, Team, and Enterprise.
- The Personal plan allows you to create unlimited pages, collaborate with your clients in real-time, and export your files in bulk.
- The Personal Pro plan offers unlimited file uploads, along with a 30 day backup of your version history.
- With the Team plan, you get access to a collaborative workspace and more than 50 starter templates.
- The Enterprise plan offers shared wikis and documents as a powerful note-taking tool. You can also access the platform’s powerful API tools to build custom integrations for your team.
With Notion’s Free Personal plan, get access to multiple database views, more than 50 starter templates, and an application for mobile and desktop.
Key Features of Project Management Apps for Freelancers
As a freelancer, you need to manage every aspect of the project on your own. You need a project management application that has powerful features to plan, organize, and manage multiple projects, along with generating advanced statistics to help you onboard new clients.
Here are a few key features that you should look for in a project management application for freelancers.
1. Easy To Use Interface
Project management software should be easy to understand and use. It should help you make your project planning more accessible and should contain a minimal learning curve.
Software with a drag-and-drop feature for customizing workflows and roadmaps would be best for you as a freelancer. It would help if you did not use a complex tool to interpret your clients and unnecessarily deplete your resources and waste your time.
2. Time Tracking Solutions
An in-built time tracking tool is a must for all project management platforms for freelancers. It helps you track your working hours and boost your productivity, and helps you bill your clients more efficiently.
Accurate time estimation would help you work on projects with greater precision, improving how your work will move forward.
3. Seamless Third-Party App Integrations
Easy integration with popular third-party applications help you save time and take your project management to another level. Synchronizing your project data with other applications helps you add more features to your software.
It would be best if you always choose software that offers seamless integration with popular third-party applications, including Dropbox, Google Drive, and Salesforce.
4. Centralized Documentation
Managing your data on spreadsheets or multiple platforms can result in errors and inefficiency. A centralized storage space to save all your files and documents is necessary to boost your productivity.
A comprehensive project management software for freelancers includes a single location to store all your planned or completed tasks, upcoming calendar events, customer data, and project resources. This allows you to access your data quickly and improve the customer experience.
5. Boards and Charts to Manage Projects Visually
Boards and charts help you map out your projects visually, focussing on the status of the tasks. They allow you to track the progress of different projects and communicate the same to your client.
Kanban boards and Gantt charts help sustain a steady flow of tasks sequentially and speed up the process of task delivery.
6. Advanced Customizable Reports
To plan and manage your project successfully, you need to know all the shortcomings and bottlenecks that require a quick solution. For freelancers, project management software should contain customizable reports based on your project budget, expenses, and performance indicators. These reports can then be used to improve the flow of tasks and make informed data-driven decisions.
Project Dashboards are one of the most efficient ways to keep track of your project performance by updating information in real-time. It should include important metrics, including the percentage of completed tasks and planned and actual project value.
7. Automated Invoicing Options
When working individually and with multiple clients, it might be a little challenging to keep track of your budget. Time tracking and automated invoicing options make it easier to bill your clients and generate reports that would be forwarded to them at the end of the week or month.
An efficient platform for project management should also include a project budgeting feature. It helps you keep track of your expenses, along with a brief and clear report on your budget performance.
Choosing the Best Freelance Project Management Software
The best freelance project management software you should use to plan, manage, and execute your projects would depend upon your needs and the general requirements of your clients.
- If you are looking for software with a visual interface and seamless import or export of data, you should try out ClickUp or Monday.com. They offer interactive dashboards that allow you to import your existing data without any restrictions.
- If you require software with an in-built time tracking option to track your billable hours, you should choose Teamwork, Wrike, or nTask. They offer a better insight into your productivity, along with automatically invoicing your clients.
- If you need software with smart, no-coded automation, you can try out Asana, Bonsai, or Trello. These applications help you automate your recurring tasks and boost your productivity.
- If you are looking for a project management platform with customizable and visual roadmaps, you should choose Toggl plan or Jira. These applications offer visual tools to plan out your projects.
- If you require a platform with smart invoicing options, you should try out Fiverr Workspace or Basecamp. These tools ensure that your clients receive a proper invoice of your work and pay you on time.