17 Best Product Roadmap Software in 2022 (With Free Tools)
Taking a product from initial conception to development and launch is a long and winding road.
You have to outline the vision behind the product, define the product strategy, establish requirements for the project, come up with a product plan, define product timelines, establish product priorities, communicate with stakeholders, determine the metrics that will be used to measure success, and so on.
To keep this process running smoothly, you need a product roadmap.
A product roadmap is a document that provides a high level visual overview of the vision and direction of the product you are building. It highlights what you are building, and why you are doing it.
For simple products, it is possible to develop a product roadmap using simple spreadsheets like Excel.
When you’re building a complex product that involves several people, however, a simple spreadsheet will not suffice. What you need is a product roadmap software.
With dozens of product roadmap software in the market, choosing the most suitable one for your needs can be a bit of a challenge.
To make this easier for you, we’ve compiled a list of 17 of the best product roadmap software in 2021. Let’s check them out below.
Best Product Roadmap Software
Best Product Roadmap Tool For Teams Of All Sizes
Monday.com is a versatile product roadmap tool that streamlines the roadmapping process and makes it easy to plan, visualize, manage, and meet product goals. Monday.com is suitable for both small and big product teams.
- Roadmap template: Monday.com comes with a dedicated roadmap template that allows you to quickly build a roadmap for your product, without the risk of forgetting some crucial roadmap elements.
- Visualization: With multiple views and color-coded priorities, Monday.com allows you to visually track the progress of your product.
- Easy task management: Assign tasks to team members, use color codes to define task priorities, set due dates, and track task progress with real-time updates.
- Powerful reporting: Monday.com’s powerful reporting features make it easy to track product KPIs and gain insights that you can use to improve your product plan.
Monday.com plans range between $0 and $16 per seat per month. They also have an Enterprise plan that offers custom pricing. All paid plans except the Enterprise plan come with a 14-day free trial.
Best For Beautifully Designed Product Roadmaps
With ClickUp, you can create strategy documents, collect feedback from stakeholders, create custom roadmaps for different audiences, set goals and targets, track product progress, and so much more.
- Custom fields: Create custom task fields that you can use for just about anything, from development and testing to entering scrum points.
- Assigned comments: This innovative feature allows you to use comments to assign tasks to team members. This is a great way to delegate small tasks to your team.
- Mind maps: ClickUp comes with an elegant mind maps feature that is very useful for brainstorming about your product.
- Custom statuses: With this feature, you can create clear workflows for every aspect of product development, from issue tracking to feature launches.
- Customizable views: ClickUp provides multiple options for visualizing your roadmap, including Kanban boards, Gantt charts, and timeline view.
ClickUp has a free forever plan, while premium plans range from $5 per member per month to $19 per member per month. Large organizations with advanced requirements can get custom pricing with the Enterprise plan.
Best For Managing Multiple Product Roadmaps Simultaneously
Teamwork is an easy-to-use platform that simplifies the process of managing product workflows and executing product strategy. It is particularly effective for those working on multiple products simultaneously.
- Customizable workflows: Whether your team prefers using Agile, Kanban, or waterfall methodology, Teamwork can be tailored to whatever workflow is best suited for your team.
- Resource management: Teamwork gives you instant visibility on your team’s workload, making it easy to tell who is working on what and manage your team resources for optimum productivity.
- Track and fix bugs: Log and track bugs in one task list, thus reducing the chances of a bug getting overlooked by developers.
- Free client access: If you’re developing a product for a client, Teamwork allows you to give clients access so that they can track how the project is progressing and share their feedback. The best part is that you don’t have to pay extra to give your clients access.
Teamwork has a free plan, and two paid plans costing $10 and $18 per user per month. They also have a Scale plan that offers custom pricing based on your required features. The two paid plans come with a 30-day free trial.
Best For Creating And Sharing A Large Number Of Product Roadmaps
ProductPlan is a dedicated roadmapping platform that makes it very easy to create and share an unlimited number of product roadmaps.
- Roadmap templates: ProductPlan comes with dozens of roadmap templates that you can use to quickly set up a new roadmap. The drag and drop interface makes it even easier to customize these templates.
- Unlimited roadmaps: You can create as many roadmaps as you want. You can even create multiple versions of the same roadmap with different levels of detail. There are literally no limits.
- Unlimited roadmap viewers: Share your roadmaps with as many people as you want, without having to pay for extra viewers. This is very useful for sharing roadmaps with stakeholders. What’s more, you can set different permission levels for different viewers.
- Multiple layouts: You can present your product roadmaps in multiple layouts, including portfolio, timeline, table, and list layout.
ProductPlan has three plans. The Basic plan costs $39 per editor per month, while the Professional and Enterprise plans come with custom pricing. ProductPlan doesn’t have a free forever plan, but they offer a 14-day free trial.
Best Product Roadmap Software For Collaboration
Favro is an all-in-one roadmap software that comes with an impressive set of collaboration features. It is particularly suited for sharing roadmaps between different teams and managing intertwining tasks.
- Multiple views: Visualize your roadmaps in timeline view, as Kanban boards, as a card list, or in sheet view.
- Collaboration tools: Favro makes collaboration effortless with features such as real-time chat, ability to comment on tasks, roadmap sharing, and real-time updates on changes made on tasks and sub-tasks.
- Integrations: Favro can be integrated with lots of third party tools, including Google Drive, Slack, OneDrive, Unito, Jira, Zapier, Google Calendar, Dropbox, and many more.
Favro offers three plans. The Lite plan, which starts at $10.2 per month, the Standard plan, which starts at $13.6 per month, and the Enterprise plan, which starts at $25.5 per month.
Favro doesn’t have a free plan, but they offer a 14-day free trial on all plans.
Best For Visualizing Future Stages Of Product Development
Roadmap Planner is a simple, open-source product roadmapping tool that is perfect for tracking the future stages of product development.
- Scopes: This feature makes it easier to organize goals, works, and tasks into groups signaling different stages of product development.
- Collaboration: Roadmap Planner makes it easy to collaborate and share product roadmaps with your team and other stakeholders. At the same time, it uses high-grade encryption to protect your information and company data from unauthorized users.
- Unlimited roadmaps: With Roadmap Planner, you can simultaneously create as many product roadmaps as you want.
- WYSIWYG interface: The What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) interface makes it very easy to create and edit product roadmaps by simply dragging and dropping different elements.
- Predefined templates: Get access to dozens of predefined templates that help you save time, since you don’t have to create each roadmap from scratch.
Roadmap Planner pricing starts at $7.98 per user per month. Roadmap Planner doesn’t have a free plan, but they do offer a 14-day free trial.
Best Solution For Running Sprints
Tara is a simple but powerful product roadmap software that makes it amazingly simple to run sprints and manage product development tasks.
- Git sync: Tara can be synced with GitHub or Gitlab, giving you real-time insights into where things are.
- Automation: With Tara, you can put tasks like recurring sprints, status changes, and effort predictions on autopilot, which saves you time and allows you to focus on work that matters.
- Easy task management: Create tasks and subtasks, assign tasks to team members, add collaborators to tasks, categorize tasks by priority, type, or status, share files on tasks, share task feedback, and so on.
- Collaboration: Collaborating on Tara is very easy, with features like task comments, @mentions, and roadmap sharing. This helps keep teammates in sync and makes cross-team projects more transparent.
- Dedicated Slack app: Tara comes with a dedicated Slack app that allows your team to share sprint reports on Slack, get instant alerts on product progress and updates, and make Slack chats actionable by converting them into tasks on Tara.
Tara has a free plan, and two paid plans, a Premium plan costing $7 and a Co-Pilot plan costing $10 per user per month. Tara does not offer a free trial on paid plans.
Best Solution For Developing Lean Roadmaps
ProdPad is a user-friendly product roadmap tool that focuses on creating lean product roadmaps that only cover what is essential for your product, rather than creating roadmaps that increase the work for your team.
- Priority charts: This makes it easy to pick and validate valuable product features and move them through your workflow. With priority charts, you can filter product ideas by freshness, team votes, level of detail, customer desire, and so on.
- User personas: Create highly realistic user personas that help you keep your focus on the customer demographic you’re creating products for.
- DotBot: ProdPad comes with an AI helper named DotBot, who uses artificial intelligence to help you manage and automate various aspects of your product roadmap. DotBot can help you spot trends from customer feedback, match this feedback to ideas, uncover duplicates, and so much more.
- Multiple roadmaps: Create and share multiple versions of the same roadmap with different levels of detail depending on the audience you’re sharing the roadmap with.
- Integrations: ProdPad can be integrated with 1000+ third party tools, including Jira, Slack, GitHub, Trello, and AzureDevops.
ProdPad has three plans; an Essential plan costing $149 per month, an Advanced plan costing $449 per month, and a Performance plan costing $1299 per month.
All ProdPad plans come with a 7-day free trial, which can be extended up to 30 days by completing various tasks on ProdPad.
Best Roadmap Software For Capturing Breakthrough Ideas
Aha! is a simple and user-friendly product roadmap tool that is highly suitable for brainstorming and capturing breakthrough product ideas.
- Drag and drop interface: Creating, editing and moving features, goals, and releases is a breeze on Aha!’s drag and drop interface.
- Planning board: Managing work on Aha! is made simple by the planning board. Here, you can define product features, plan releases, prioritize backlog, rank features against strategy, and so on.
- Voter-based ideas portal: This feature helps define breakthrough ideas by asking team members to vote for ideas.
- User story mapping: The user story mapping tool allows you to collect insights and feedback from customers and incorporate this feedback in product features.
- Epics: Epics make it easy to organize work items that cut across multiple product releases, or work items that are smaller than strategic initiatives but larger than individual features.
Aha! offers four pricing plans. There’s a Startup plan that offers custom pricing, a Premium plan costing $59 per user per month, an Enterprise plan costing $99 per contributor per month, and an Enterprise+ plan costing $149 per contributor per month.
All Aha! plans come with a 30-day free trial.
Best Solution For Creating Customer-Driven Roadmaps
Roadmunk is a product roadmap tool that focuses on customer-driven roadmaps by allowing you to capture user feedback and prioritize product features based on customer needs.
- Capture customer feedback: Capture customer data from multiple tools – including email, support chat, Salesforce and other CRM tools, and all browser-based tools – and manage it in one central place.
- Multiple templates: Roadmunk comes with 35+ templates that you can easily customize to your specific needs.
- Multiple views: Visualize your product roadmap in three different views – timeline view, Swimlane view, or Master view.
- Review-only access: Roadmunk has a feature known as reviewer seats, which allows you to give review-only access to stakeholders. This allows them to view and comment on roadmaps, but they cannot edit the roadmap.
- Dependencies: You can establish dependencies between tasks on Roadmunk, even for tasks that exist on different roadmaps. Roadmunk supports two types of dependencies – moves with (for tasks that occur in tandem) and blocked by (for situations where one task has to be completed for the other to begin).
Roadmunk has four pricing plans. A Starter plan costing $19 per month, a Business plan costing $49 per user per month, a Professional plan costing $99 per user per month, and an Enterprise plan offering custom pricing.
All plans come with a 14-day free trial.
Best Product Roadmap Tool For Prioritization
Airfocus is a powerful product roadmap software that puts a lot of focus on prioritization and helping you make the right product decisions.
- Drag and drop interface: Airfocus comes with a drag and drop interface that simplifies the process of crafting and editing product roadmaps.
- Custom prioritization framework: With Airfocus, you can set up a RICE (reach, impact, confidence, and effort) scoring framework that you and your team can use to prioritize product features and prevent bias.
- Priority Poker: This is an interactive and collaborative feature that allows you to involve your team in decision making.
- Insights: Airfocus acts as a central location from where you can collect and manage customer feedback from various channels and come up with actionable insights that you can use to drive your product strategy.
- Integration: Expand the functionality of Airfocus by integrating it with your favorite third party tools, including Azure DevOps, Jira, Zapier, Asana, Clubhouse, Trello, and many more.
Airfocus comes with four pricing plans. These are the Essential, Advanced, and Pro plans costing $15, $49, and $89 per editor per month respectively, and an Enterprise plan with custom pricing. All plans come with a 14-day free trial.
Best Product Roadmap Software For Kanban-Style Roadmaps
Wrike is a project management tool and product roadmap software that is best suited for those who want to visualize their roadmaps in beautiful Kanban boards.
- Collaboration: Wrike’s collaboration tools allow you to break down silos and centralize product discussions and decisions. With Wrike, you can assign tasks, comment on tasks, message other team members, share files, and so much more.
- Resource management: Wrike’s resource management features allow you to optimize resource allocation and maximize productivity by allowing you to view team members’ workloads and assign tasks based on capacity.
- Advanced insights: Generate detailed reports that give insights about project progress and your team’s performance, allowing you to make better decisions.
- Templates: Wrike comes with lots of templates that you can use to accelerate product launches and simplify your journey to market.
- Integrations: Wrike is compatible with over 400 third party tools and apps, including Jira, SAP, Google Drive, Salesforce, Dropbox, and Mailchimp.
Wrike comes with three paid plans; a Professional plan costing $9.80 per user per month, a Business plan costing $24.80 per month, and an Enterprise plan offering custom pricing. The Professional and Business plans come with a 14-day free trial.
Wrike also has a free forever plan for product teams that are getting started.
Best Product Roadmap Solution For Agile Teams
Hygger is a project management and product roadmap tool that focuses on supporting agile processes and tools.
- Templates: Get access to several roadmap templates that allow you to set up your product roadmap in a matter of minutes.
- Prioritization: Hygger comes with multiple scoring systems (ICE, RICE, and weighted) that you can use to determine and prioritize the strongest initiatives and features.
- Integrations: You can connect Hygger to popular business apps like Jira, Google Drive, Dropbox, Intercom, Slack, and GitHub.
Hyger has a free forever plan, a Standard plan costing $7 per user per month, and an Enterprise plan costing $14 per user per month. Hygger offers a 50-day free trial on the Standard and Enterprise plans.
Best Product Roadmap Tool For Startups
Craft is an end-to-end product management tool that simplifies the process of product ideation, story map generation, and development of product prototypes.
- Collaboration: Craft comes with powerful collaboration features, including chat and messaging, calendar management, video conferencing, document management, task management, real time editing, and version control.
- Drag and drop interface: Creating tasks, moving tasks that are progressing, and rescheduling tasks that need more time is made remarkably easy and intuitive by Craft’s drag and drop interface.
- Prioritization engine: Craft is equipped with RICE, WSJF, and MoSCoW scoring systems, providing you with powerful frameworks for prioritization.
- Integration: Craft can be integrated with all popular development and user feedback platforms, including GitHub, Azure DevOps, Jira, Intercom, and many more.
Craft offers three pricing plans. An Essential plan costing $39 per user per month, a Pro plan costing $89 per user per month, and an Enterprise plan with custom pricing. The Essential and Pro plans come with a 14-day free trial.
Best Solution For Customer Feedback Collection And Management
Canny is a product roadmap platform that comes with a dedicated tool for collecting and analyzing customer feedback, and then implementing this feedback into your product roadmap.
- Feedback collection: Collect feedback and feature requests from customers and analyze this feedback to ensure you’re building the right features for your customers.
- Prioritization: Rate and score customer feedback, and prioritize requested features through the in-built voting system.
- Changelog: This feature allows you to announce the latest product features to your customers and keep them engaged.
- Integration: Canny is compatible with third party tools like ZenDesk, Salesforce, Microsoft Teams, Intercom, Jira, GitHub, Zapier, Pabbly, and many others.
Canny offers three paid plans; a Starter plan at $50 per month, a Growth plan at $200 per month, and a Business plan with custom pricing. Canny does not have a free plan, but you get a 14-day free trial on the Starter and Growth plans.
Best Solution For Product Managers
Trello is a Kanban-style product roadmap tool that is very effective at helping product managers plan and manage product development projects.
- Agile sprint board: The agile sprint board makes it easier to organize plans, specs, and code, and leads to better collaboration between scrum masters, product managers, and engineers.
- Feature requests: With Trello, you can create a public roadmap and allow customers to vote and leave comments, which can then give you insights on customers needs.
- Automation: Automate repetitive administrative tasks, leaving your team free to focus on more important work.
- Multiple access options: Trello provides three different access levels on your roadmaps – personal, team, and public. This allows you to control information that is available to different audiences.
- Power-Ups: Power-Ups allow you to add more functionality to Trello by connecting Trello with your favorite digital tools, such as Dropbox and Google Drive.
Trello offers four pricing plans. A free forever plan, a Standard Plan costing $5 per user per month, a Premium plan costing $10 per user per month, and an Enterprise plan starting at $17.50. The paid plan comes with a 14-day free trial.
Best Solution For Advanced Product Roadmapping
Asana is an intuitive and user-friendly product roadmap tool that packs a set of powerful features for advanced product roadmapping.
- Multiple roadmap types: With Asana, you can create several types of product roadmaps, including product development roadmaps, scrum roadmaps, agile product roadmaps, UX roadmaps, and feature launch roadmaps.
- Convenient visualization: Asana gives you multiple otions for visualizing your roadmaps, including board, timeline, or calendar view. You also have the option of sorting tasks and milestones by priority, category, or due date.
- Portfolio: If you’re managing multiple products, Portfolio provides you with a central place for keeping track of progress on all projects at a glance.
- Bug tracking: Asana also gives you the capability to track bugs and ensure they get fixed before your product ships.
For those on a budget, Asana has a free forever plan. Asana has two paid plans, a Premium plan costing $10.99 per user per month, and a Business plan costing $24.99 per user per month. The two paid plans come with a 30-day free trial.
Key Features Of Product Roadmap Tools
The best product roadmap tool for you will ultimately depend on your needs and requirements. However, there are some key features that every reliable product roadmap software needs to have.
Some of these key features include…
1. Clear Visualization
One of the purposes of a product roadmap tool is to help you visualize all the aspects of your product and track how development is progressing.
A good product roadmap tool offers multiple options for visualizing your product roadmap, such as list view, Kanban, timeline view, table view and so on.
This allows all project stakeholders and the project team to choose a visualization option that works best for them, rather than being forced to stick with one option.
2. Access Options
Product roadmaps are often shared with multiple people who have different roles and responsibilities. With such a wide audience, you’ll definitely want to manage how different people interact with the product roadmaps.
Clients, for instance, might only be allowed to view the roadmap. The product manager, on the other hand, needs to be able to edit the roadmap. Team members, on the other hand, might be allowed to edit some parts of the roadmap, but not others.
When choosing a product roadmap tool, therefore, you should go for one that allows you to set up different permissions for different people based on their roles and responsibilities.
3. Collaboration Features
Product development usually involves several people – designers, engineers and developers, marketers, quality assurance testers, product managers, and many more.
For a product to be smoothly and successfully steered from ideation to launch, all these people need to work together as a team. This creates the need for a product roadmap tool with collaboration features that make it easy for the whole team to work together.
Some of the collaboration features you should check out for include messaging and chat, file sharing, commenting on tasks, workflow automation, note taking, roadmap sharing, real-time updates, and so on.
4. Different Viewing Levels
In addition to giving people different permissions, there will be times when you want to show different roadmap levels to different audiences.
For instance, when presenting to senior stakeholders or potential investors, you might only want to show a high-level view of your product roadmap.
Your product team, on the other hand, will need to see a more detailed roadmap, since they are the one’s involved in the actual product development.
An effective product roadmap software allows you to set up different viewing levels with different levels of information depending on your audience.
When working on a product, your team might need to import work from other product development tools such as GitHub or Jira, or connect with other common business tools like Slack or Google Drive.
It’s important, therefore, to make sure that your product roadmap software of choice allows integration with other commonly used business and productivity tools.
Regular, real-time data help you assess the progress of your product and give you insights on how you can improve and optimize your product roadmap practices. Therefore, you’ll need a product roadmap tool that allows you to generate and share informative reports about your product roadmap.
Which Product Roadmap Software Tools Should I Try?
If you want to quickly get started with product roadmapping software, here’s our pick of 5 of the best product roadmap software tools…
- Monday.com: Best for those looking for a versatile product roadmap tool that works well for both big and small product teams.
- ClickUp: A highly intuitive product roadmap tool that is perfect for those looking to craft beautifully designed product roadmaps.
- Teamwork: Best product roadmap solution for those who need to manage multiple products simultaneously.
- ProductPlan: Perfect for product managers looking to create and share an unlimited number of product roadmaps to multiple audiences.
- Favro: An end-to-end product roadmap software that comes equipped with powerful collaboration features.