18 Best Agile Project Management Software in 2022 (Free & Paid)
This is the most updated guide to the best agile project management software. If you look to take your project management to the next level, you will love this review.
If you're a project manager and you've noticed that your team is struggling for time or resources, then an agile project management approach could be the thing that helps you get them on track.
And to achieve this, you need project management software that allows you easily manage your team and maneuver through tasks quickly.
While there are tons of agile project management software, finding a tool that will perfectly match your business needs can be confusing. We dived deep into our research to save you from the hassle, and here's our shortlisted best agile project management software.
Best Agile Project Management Software
Feel free to scamper through our best agile project management software list and learn how each tool stacks up.
- Hubstaff Tasks
- Zoho Projects
- Pivotal Tracker
Monday makes it simple for you to automate most of your mundane tasks allowing you to focus on what is important in your projects. You can set up custom workflows and automate them without coding skills.Try Monday.com
Monday is among the best agile project management tools created for agile teams looking to collaborate on a task and automate workflows. The software allows you to create custom workflows that perfectly fit your business goals and automate them without knowing how to code. You can choose from their pre-made templates and create your workflows in minutes.
- Workflow automation: one of the strongest selling points of Monday is that it enables you to automate most of your repetitive tasks. You can also create custom automations by setting up a trigger, the condition, and the action for specific workflows, thereby enhancing productivity.
- Extensive integrations: Monday seamlessly integrates with most third-party business software making it easy to establish a streamlined workflow for your agile teams allowing you to share data, optimize operations, and avoid duplication.
- Intuitive user interface: the agile project management tool has a visually appealing and easy-to-navigate workspace. The dashboard comes with a wide array of features that you can use to view and manage every project you create.
- Time tracking: to help you accurately track how much time is spent on a task, Monday has an inbuilt time tracking capability that you can add to your board. You can also export the entire Time Tracking column to a spreadsheet for easy reporting.
- 200+ customizable templates: for project managers looking to launch a project as soon as possible, the platform has them covered. Monday offers a vast selection of templates that you can easily tweak to fit your agile project's needs.
- Mobile app: unlike most agile project management tools, Monday allows you to access the platform using its mobile app. From the app, you can create boards, track the progress of your tasks, respond to messages, and receive an insight into the general progress of your projects.
- Create unlimited boards: Monday does not put a cap on the number of project boards you can create per month, allowing you to create multiple projects in your workplace.
- Tailored onboarding: the platform allows you to easily onboard new customers to the system. Monday comes with templates that you can use for the entire client onboarding process and track their onboarding progress.
- Analytics and reporting: you can track the overall performance of your workflows and see how your agile team is performing. You can also use Monday to track your sales pipeline and see the performance of all your deals and your sales in one place.
- Customizable notifications: Monday allows you to send notifications to specific team members relevant to their board instead of sending them updates that do not concern them.
Monday offers one of the most competitive pricing in the market. Here are Monday's paid packages.
- Basic: $8 per seat per month
- Standard: $10 per seat per month
- Pro: $16 per seat per month
- Enterprise: reach out to their sales team
Best for Marketing Projects
ClickUp ranks as the best agile project management tool for planning marketing projects. Whether you’re in the finance industry or working on a software development project, ClickUp has all the tools your agile team needs.Try ClickUp
ClickUp is a versatile project management software with all the agile tools you need to manage your projects regardless of your industry. The platform offers many workflows, particularly for Kanban, Scrum, and Agile development processes. Its hierarchical team management via Workspaces and Spaces allows you to organize your teams and simplify collaborations.
- Highly customizable: ClickUp's top-notched customization capabilities give you the freedom to personalize your agile projects to match your workflows. This allows you to choose the tools your task workflow requires and add custom templates for your projects.
- Powerful workflow automation: Using ClickUp, you can automatically change assignments, assign a task to a specific agile team member in case of when the status changes, or even better, create a custom trigger to automate a specified task without editing any code.
- 1000+ Integrations: the project management software allows you to connect with over 1000 third-party software to the system for enhanced productivity.
- Customizable templates: project managers can save time creating a new project with ClickUp’s free templates. Whether you are in the web design industry, finance, accounting, or blockchain ecosystem, ClickUp has a customizable template for you.
- Easy team collaboration: ClickUp allows you to effortlessly centralize your communication and collaborate with anyone in your agile team. Its remote Work OS allows you to effortlessly manage tasks, docs, and workloads in one place.
- Real-time reporting: the software offers deep insights into the performance of your projects. Using ClickUp's dashboard, you can view and customize your reporting to filter out the results that matter to you.
- 15+ views: with ClickUp's 15+ configurable views, you can see tasks, projects, and processes in a way that is convenient for you. You can depict tasks as a board, calendar, or list and visualize how they interconnect with Gantt charts.
- Time tracking: ClickUp offers a time tracking solution for your agile projects across all devices. If you’re already using a third-party time tracking tool, the software platform allows you to integrate the app into the system seamlessly.
ClickUp offers robust project management features at a competitive price. Here're ClickUp paid pricing packages.
- Free Forever: the plan is free but limited to 100 lists per space
- Unlimited: costs $9 per month
- Business: costs $19 per month
- Business Plus: cost $29 per month
- Enterprise: contact them for a custom pricing
Best for Growing Businesses
Wrike is a highly scalable agile project management tool with feature-rich plans suited for growing businesses. I love its vast in-built features and add-ons that make it less reliant on third-party tools.Try Wrike
Wrike incorporates agile methodologies, allowing you to easily plan and organize projects. It's a perfect choice for startups due to its flexibility to accommodate your project management needs as your business grows.
- Work Intelligence: Wrike uses artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning to stimulate work productivity. This comes as a handy tool for project managers since it enables them to converge their teams to the most important tasks, reducing communication gaps and mitigating delays.
- Intuitive Gantt charts: Wrike’s Gantt charts allow you to visualize your project's progress enabling you to spot some drawbacks that may lead to project inefficiencies.
- Inbuilt time tracking: Wrike allows you to track how long you took to complete a task. You can integrate third-party time tracking tools like Clockify or Time Doctor to see how much time your assignee spends on a specific task.
- Robust analytics: for better decision-making for your projects, Wrike provides insightful reports on the overall performance of your projects as well as monitors project resources enabling you to mitigate any potential risks in your project.
- Invoice software: Wrike offers an intuitive invoicing tool that allows you effortlessly manage your billing activities. With its invoicing tool, you can visibility your team's workloads, accurately determine the fees charged, manage massive invoices for huge enterprises, and request payments from your clients, preventing delays.
- 400+Third Party integration: the agile project management tool allows you to connect third-party apps such as time-tracking tools, IT management platforms, email service providers, and CRM tools, to mention a few, to enhance efficiency in your agile projects.
- Solid security: user's data breach is something that Wrike does not take with a pinch of salt. The platform has heavily invested in security features to provide its users with a secure and reliable platform.
- Automation engine: the agile project management software allows project managers to automate most repetitive tasks by creating custom triggers to automate specific tasks and reduce the need for manual work.
- Custom request forms: Wrike project management software has a robust form builder that allows administrators and project managers to design submission forms that are responsive and tailored to their specifications.
- Great collaboration: Wrike offers a versatile collaboration platform that enables teams to operate from anywhere just as productively as they would from their workplaces. This is a deal, especially if you manage distributed teams or freelancers.
Wrike offers three major paid plans and a free plan for individual use or a small team.
- Free: free forever
- Professional: costs $9.80/ user per month
- Business: $24.80/ user per month
- Enterprise: reach out to their team for a quote
Best for Collaboration Features
I love Teamwork for its best communication and collaboration features, including real-time Teamwork chat, task, and document management tools. The software allows you to share project information easily across teams while keeping them organized and on track.Try Teamwork
Teamwork is one of the top project management systems, thanks to its fantastic collaboration features, making communication with cross-functional teams frictionless. With Teamwork, you can also include your clients on the board and give them standard access where they can evaluate projects and comment on progress.
- Robust workflow automation: Teamwork enables you to set up event-based triggers from their library of automation templates or create custom triggers engineered to your project needs, automating repetitive tasks.
- Mobile app: you don't need to be at your office desk to manage your projects. Teamwork has a mobile app for both Android and iOS devices where you can manage your tasks, collaborate with your team, assign new tasks, and read and reply to messages.
- Third-Party integrations: for effective project management, Teamwork allows you to integrate other business software that you are using. This ranges from CRM tools like HubSpot, accounting software like Xero, and reporting tools like Easy Insights.
- Powerful collaboration: Teamwork offers the essential tools to centralize your projects and communicate with your team. This includes file uploading and sharing features, real-time chat, timeline tracking, and project milestones.
- Task list templates: while using Teamwork, you can use your pre-made task list templates to easily add new assignments or tasks, thereby saving you more time.
- Resource management: besides offering project management services, Teamwork allows you to track and optimize business resources. This enables you to check the team members available, help you analyze the right person for the project, and manage multiple projects for your business.
- Portfolio management: Teamwork’s portfolio management tool gives you a bird’s eye view of multiple projects all in one place. For project managers looking to get quick updates of each project in one place, the portfolio management tool comes in as a handy tool.
Below are Teamwork pricing packages.
- Free Forever: as the name suggests, it's 100% free.
- Delivery: $10/ user per month
- Grow: $18/ user per month
- Scale: contact them for a quote.
Best Free Plans
Asana is one of the few agile project management software with feature-rich free plans. For small businesses looking for an ideal project planning software without paying a penny, Asana is an excellent choice for them.Try Asana
Asana outperforms most other project management software due to its usability, simplicity, and a Kanban-style user interface. It's packed with functionality and has comprehensive documentation of customer collaboration.
The agile tool has a robust free plan with basic project management features your team needs to manage projects. You can create tasks, organize them into projects, assign them to team members, and track their progress.
- Extensive third-party integrations: Asana allows you to connect with other business third-party apps you are using or might need for your system. This includes email service apps like Gmail, time tracking tools like Harvest, and IT platforms like GitHub.
- Powerful free plan: the project management software offers one of the most robust free plans. Unlike most agile project management software, with Asana's free plan, you get access to unlimited tasks, project activity log, time tracking integrations, and 100+ third-party integrations, to mention a few.
- Numerous project views: Asana allows you to view your project differently, including lists, calendars, Kanban boards, milestones, substacks, and workloads. Considering that most project management tools offer just some of these options, it's great to see that Asana goes the extra mile to offer you multiple options to choose what works best for each user in your team.
- Excellent communication tools: when it comes to communicating with your scrum team Asana offers robust tools that you need to interact with your team members. This includes task comments, messaging, project conversations, and team conversions.
- Effective team collaborations: Asana offers all the essential tools you need to work together with your team. This includes sharing files in the form of google docs, PDFs, PNG, and JPGs to schedule tasks and projects.
- Real-time analytics: Asana allows you to track every step of your project's progress, enabling you to see what project team is lagging and preventing them from performing better to meet your client's deadlines.
- Ideal project planning tool: Asana’s project planning tool enables you to organize your project in one place, monitor project status in real-time, and streamline work requests in every step.
- Mobile app: away from your office desk and still wanting to keep track of your project? You can do it using Asana's mobile app. With their app, you can create new tasks and projects, collaborate, get project updates and even send messages.
- Premium customer support team: customer support is something that Asana does not take lightly. The task management tool offers help through its extensive knowledge base, webinars, recorded training, custom training, and a dedicated customer success manager.
Asana offers three plans in their pricing.
- Basic: the plan is free
- Premium: costs $10.99/ user per month
- Business: costs $24.99/ user per month
Best for Managing Multiple Teams
Smartsheet is one of the best agile project management software that offers an incredibly easy-to-use interface and flexibility in their plans. The agile tool allows you to quickly and easily create a project board, add tasks to your board, and track progress on each task.
The only downside with this project management software is that it is built with spreadsheets. Unlike most project management tools, Smartsheets does not offer the appealing Kanban view for your boards. This is challenging to create new tasks making them look outdated and unappealing. However, it stands out from other functions in project management.
- Ideal team collaboration: Smartsheets allows you to centralize your project in one place for easier team collaboration. The platform allows you to share attachments with your team, use custom reminders to alert your colleagues about the deadlines, and mitigate process bottlenecks with concurrent reviewers.
- Workflow automations: the project management software allows you to create custom workflows based on triggers and actions by your team. For example, you can send a hiring approval automated email whenever you onboard another team member.
- Business software integration: Smartsheets allows you to integrate third-party software with your project management software to add more functionality to your system. The platform seamlessly connects with top cloud productivity apps like Google Workspace, Slack, and Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Custom branding: do you want to personalize every aspect of your project management software? Smartsheets allow you to add logos and choose your custom color pallet that reflects your brand in all your sheets and workspaces.
- Advanced reporting features: Smartsheets allows you to track your projects to help you spot bottlenecks and key trends in your projects. In addition, you can share reports with the stakeholders to keep the team in the loop, enabling you to make smarter business choices based on real-time data.
- Great filter options: with Smartsheets' filters, you can navigate through your tasks and projects and filter them based on the person, date range, and action type to track down every stage of the assignment in your project.
- Mobile app: Smartsheets offers a mobile app for Android and iOS devices. With their app, you can easily collaborate on tasks, check notifications, update the task information, and view your project timeline.
- Effective resource management: perhaps, one of the outstanding features of Smartsheet is its ability to manage your project resources seamlessly. The platform allows you to compare the project budgeting with the hour spent to complete it and offer insightful reports on the overall performance of your projects.
- Customizable Gantt charts: Smartsheets allow you to visualize your project progress with appealing Gantt charts. You can customize the charts by pinpointing the important tasks in your project boards and checking what is impacting the project delivery at the right time.
Like most agile project management software, Smartsheet's pricing structure is based on the number of users. They also offer a 30 free trial. Here are Smartsheets pricing packages.
- Pro: costs $7/ user per month
- Business: costs $25/ user per month
- Enterprise: reach out to get a custom pricing
Best for IT Teams
Jira is one of the best agile project management tools for software development teams. Created as a bug tracking tool, Jira has grown and added numerous project management features enabling your IT team to stay productive.
- 3000+ apps and integrations: Jira enables you to extend its functionality using third-party software. Its marketplace has over 3000 apps carefully selected by the Atlassian team.
- Customizable workflows: the project management software enables you to create custom workflows tailored for your business, enabling your team to work more efficiently.
- Enterprise-grade security: data security is something that Jira does not overlook. The platform has solid and reliable security measures to ensure that your data is safe using their Atlassian Cloud. It’s achieved by creating customized permissions for specific roles, encrypting data in transit using the TLS 1.2+, and using IP allowlisting to ascertain that only users from trusted networks can access your board.
- Backlog management: the agile tool enables any project manager and product owner to create a list of what to prioritize during product development.
- Detailed insights: Jira software provides comprehensive reports that allow you to visualize data and spot trends that will help you boost your project efficiency.
- Scrums and Kanban boards: using Jira scrum boards, your agile teams can break down huge, sophisticated projects into smaller chunks of work and add user stories to deliver faster. Jira's Kanban board allows them to visualize your project's progress and workflow to maximize productivity and efficiency.
- Roadmaps: Jira software roadmaps allow you to easily plan huge chunks of tasks a few months in advance and track the progress of the projects in real-time. This enables your team to stay on target and achieve your project goals.
- Automation: The project management software makes it easy to run most of the repetitive tasks on autopilot. To help you save time, Jira offers automation templates that you can quickly customize and set up your automated workflows.
- Ideal bug tracking and issue management: Jira provides your software development team with a comprehensive view of all your items in your backlog to identify, track, and record bugs in their software development processes. This ensures that your team is notified at the right time to handle the issue.
Jira's pricing structure is based on the type of hosting technology you want to use. They offer the Cloud and Data Centers.
The Cloud plan includes three paid packages and one free plan.
- Free plan: limited to 10 users
- Standard: costs $7.50/ user per month
- Premium: costs $14.50/ user per month
- Enterprise: contact their team for a custom pricing
The Data Center plan starts at $42,000 per year for 500 users and scales upwards to $885,000 per year for 50000 users.
Best for Task Management
Hubstaff Tasks is more of a task management app for small businesses. Although the platform has been undergoing huge improvements, it still has a journey to catch up with sophisticated agile project management tools like Monday.com or Wrike.
However, if you already are using some Hubstaff tools like their employee monitoring and time tracking tools, integrating them with the Hubstaff Tasks makes a good mix in the system.
- Intuitive sprint management: with Hubstaff Tasks, you can divide large projects into smaller and manageable tasks, allowing your team to accomplish more.
- Custom workflow automation: the platform allows you to create workflows that match your team project and run them on autopilot, allowing you to concentrate on other important tasks.
- 40+ Customizable templates: Hubstaff Tasks has a library of project templates that you can choose instead of creating one from scratch.
- Kanban and timeline views: the platform allows you to visualize your project progress using the Kanban and timeline views. This lets you evade inefficiencies and keep your project on the right trajectory.
- Project roadmaps: The platform allows you to plan all your projects, ensuring that your team stays productive and not overworked while avoiding the bottlenecks when projects pile up to one person.
- Advanced time tracking: the platform allows you to sync with their time tracking software, helping you to see how long each member is spending on a particular task.
Hubstaff Tasks Pricing
Hubstaff Tasks’ packages are priced fairly.
- Free: free for up to five users
- Premium: costs $5/ user per month
Best Gantt Tool
TeamGantt is an excellent project management software for small businesses with intuitive Gantt charts and a friendly agile framework. The well-designed platform makes it easy even for beginners to quickly launch their first project.
Although the software offers appealing Gantt charts, it does not mean that it's the only way to track your project’s progress. You can also use their aesthetic Kanban style boards, lists to view tasks, and calendar view.
- Intuitive user interface: the project management software has a well-designed and user-friendly interface that is easy to hang around.
- Time tracking: TeamGantt allows you to integrate time tracking tools and understand how much time a particular team member is spending on the task.
- Mobile app: right from your phone, you can track your projects' progress and collaborate with your team on a task.
- Easy collaboration: the platform offers robust project collaboration tools that you need to view all your projects in a single place and easily share a task with your team members to work on it together. This includes document management for effortless document sharing, a chat box, and task comments to facilitate communication with your team.
- Customizable project templates: TeamGantt offers easy-to-customize project templates across multiple industries saving you time creating everything from scratch.
- Excellent Gantt charts: the platform offers one of the best Gantt charts in the market. With TeamGantt, you can track the progress of your projects with their intuitive Gantt charts for continuous improvement, enabling you to stay organized and manage your resources accurately.
- Advanced reporting: the agile tool offers tracking tools to stay on the same page with your team. You can view what projects are on course, which are past the deadlines, and how much workload each team member has.
TeamGantt offers three plans in their paid packages.
- Free: Free for up to three users
- Standard plan: costs $24.95/ month per user
- Advanced plan: costs $29.95/ month per user
Multi-Language Project Management Software
ProofHub is one of the few project management tools that allow you to set the platform in multiple languages. This includes English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, and Russian, just to mention a few. Their support team also offers support using these languages.
- Customized workflows: ProofHub allows you to create workflows that best match your business needs enabling you to assign every member the right task and get the information specifically meant for them.
- Collaboration tools: the platform offers all the tools your scrum team needs to effectively communicate and work together with your team on a project. This ranges from mentions, chats, and notifications. You also start a group chat with multiple team members and brainstorm more ideas to improve your product.
- Effective task management: ProofHub features an amazing task management tool that uses agile methodology to create and manage tasks. Project managers can create and add task lists, break them into subtasks, track time, set submission dates, and attach files.
- Detailed reporting: like most agile tools, ProofHub gives you insights into how your projects are performing, tracks the amount of the workload that each team member is assigned, and checks how your team is performing.
- Multiple project views: ProofHub gives your project teams multiple methods to view their assigned tasks. Using the platform, they can view all the tasks assigned to them, the milestones of each project, and use the Gantt chart to track their progress.
- Advanced admin control: using the agile tool, you can control who sees certain information about your projects and ensure that every team member gets access to the right information.
- Extensive integrations: The platform allows you to connect with third-party software to add more functionality to your project management tool. You also gain access to their API, allowing you to effortlessly connect with other third-party business apps.
- Intuitive mobile app: using ProofHub’s mobile app, you can create tasks, collaborate with your team and receive updates on every activity around every project.
- Easy to customize project templates: with ProofHub, you don't have to create a project from scratch. The platform offers templates in multiple industries that you can easily customize.
- Advanced task management: ProofHub provides all the essential tools to manage your tasks. You can quickly assign tasks to the appropriate team member, break down a single task into smaller segments, add custom fields, and track time for every task.
Unlike most agile project management software, ProofHub’s pricing is not based on the number of users. The platform offers a flat fee for its package.
- Ultimate Control: costs $89 per month
- Essential: costs $45 per month
Best Free Kanban Board
Trello is a project management tool entirely built on Kanban methodology. Although they now have the timeline view feature, you'll agree that their drag and drop Kanban-style board is intuitive and preferably the best tool for managing multiple projects.
The project management software uses powerful workflow automation tools. Butler automations allow you to easily create custom automations based on triggers and actions that you have set.
- Great Kanban tool: Trello features an agile Kanban board that is easy to use and navigate. The platform features an adaptive project framework that uses a unique card and board system, which helps you visualize your task's progress all in one place.
- Trello templates: the project management platform offers project templates that you can easily customize to meet your business needs. This saves you more time since you don't have to create your board from scratch.
- Create unlimited boards: the software does not limit the number of boards you can create for your project using Kanban technology.
- Third-party app integrations: Trello allows you to extend the functionality of your project management software by connecting it to third-party software. You can integrate time tracking apps like Harvest or workflow automation tools like Zapier.
- Butler Automations: You can create customized automated workflows by setting up triggers and actions to run most tasks on autopilot, thereby saving you more time doing manual work.
- File attachments: Using this power-up, you can attach documents, images, videos, or pdf files to a task. This allows you to facilitate team collaboration leading to continuous improvements of the task.
- Mobile optimized: Trello takes a high spot in mobile-friendliness. The platform offers an intuitive interface across all mobile devices where you can access your project's information using the web browser. The agile tool also has a mobile app that you can use to manage your projects from anywhere.
- Amazing collaboration tools: one of Trello's outstanding features is how seamless it allows you to collaborate with your team. With this agile tool, you can encourage your team to participate in discussions, one-on-one chat sessions, and group meetings, add comments on other team members' tasks and share files.
Trello offers outstanding project management features without breaking the bank. Here are four Trello packages.
- Free: it's free up to 10 boards per working space
- Standard: costs $5/ user per month
- Premium: costs $10/ user per month
- Enterprise: costs $17.50/ user per month
Best Kanban Software
Kanbanize is an agile project management Kanban tool that uses the agile methodology to help users visualize projects, measure progress, and boost workflow effectiveness. The platform seamlessly integrates Kanban-style features to assist agile teams in achieving corporate transparency and boosting agile methodology in project management.
- Unlimited kanban boards: the project management software does not limit the number of kanban boards you can create on your workspace. Using the Kanbanize boards, you create unlimited projects regardless of the plan that you are using.
- Customizable workflows: Kabanize enables you to create a custom multi-layered board that fosters team members in their independent and collaborative work while also providing a foundation for better workflow organization and process efficiency.
- Project forecasting: to improve your project's success, the platform gives you a prediction of your project performance and delivery based on previous data.
- Workflow automations: with Kanbanize, you can create custom hooks that trigger actions based on particular events. This helps you focus on what matters by automating most of your project's routine tasks.
- Flow efficiency analysis chart: using this feature, you can collect information from every card which passes via your Kanban board during a particular time frame allowing you to evaluate your team's improvement efforts and monitor their streamflow.
- Apps integrations: the agile software allows you to connect third-party business software that you might be using into the system for better project management.
- Vast workspace templates: Kanbanize offers a wide selection of project templates that you can easily customize and launch your project on the go.
- Sufficient file storage space: unlike most agile software tools, Kanbanize offers large file storage space on their cloud in all their plans, so you don’t have to worry about running out of space.
Kanbanize pricing starts at $179 per month for 15 users. The pricing scales up depending on the number of users and additional features you include in your plan, such as the number of business rules you add to the package.
Best Scrum and Bug Tracking Software
Axosoft is one of the best Scrum management software that incorporates agile methodology to manage complex projects. The platform provides powerful scrum tools that allow you to add user stories leading to better sprint planning, backlog management, and issue tracking.
- Scrum and bug tracking: Axosoft allows you to keep track of bugs for your software projects while keeping everything organized to improve your product continuously.
- Automated workflows: the platform allows you to set custom auto-triggers based on the activities of your agile teams, enabling you to run most of your workflows on autopilot.
- Unlimited workflow templates: compared to most agile project management software, Axosoft offers a huge collection of workflows that you can customize to match your business project structure.
- Hierarchical project tracking: Axosoft allows you to organize your projects into subprojects to fit your business project structure for easier tracking.
- Kanban support: the agile tool makes managing projects easy by letting you utilize your project status using the Kanban view style. This makes moving the task cards in a drag and drop style easier. Furthermore, you can limit the work done in any workflow using their Work in Progress limit feature.
- Integration with third-party tools: Axosoft allows you to sync with other over 4000+ third-party business software into your system using the Zapier app.
Axosoft offers two plans in their pricing package.
- Hosted by us: starts at $105/ month for five users
- Installed by you: starts at $1,250 for five users
Best for Developers
Backlog is a cloud-based project management software designed for software developers. The code management software allows you to track bugs and issues in your software project and quickly fix them. Developers can also quickly collaborate on a project and keep track of code changes using its backlog management tool.
For non-developers, they may find the software quite hard to use while also lacking some features of a general agile tool, making Backlog unsuitable for beginners.
- Powerful bug tracking: Backlog allows your team of software developers to capture and resolve bugs seamlessly. Using its bug tracking tool, you can collaborate with your entire team and prioritize the steps they will take to fix the issues.
- Intuitive project boards: the platform provides a beautiful and user-friendly platform that allows you to create, organize and track your project all in one place. You can visualize your boards using the Kanban style to track the progress of each task.
- Effective backlog management: Backlog offers all the capabilities you need for better backlog management for your software development projects to prevent any potential bottlenecks.
- Extensive integrations: with Backlog, you can integrate third-party tools to add more functionality to your system. You can also use their API to sync Backlog add-ons to the agile software.
- Gantt charts: Backlog provides a Gantt chart viewing feature, enabling you to see your projects without sifting through notifications and tasks quickly.
Backlog offers three paid packages and a free plan.
- Free: it's free and limited to 10 users
- Starter: costs $35/ month for 30 users
- Standard: costs $100/ month for unlimited users.
- Premium: costs $175/ month for unlimited users and projects.
15. Zoho Projects
Best for Small and Growing Businesses
Zoho Projects is specifically designed to meet the needs of small businesses by providing them with all the agile management features they need at an affordable price. It incorporates various tools for task management, software development projects, and sprint planning.
- Intuitive user interface: Zoho makes it easy for anyone who's never used project management software before. It features an intuitive dashboard that allows you to easily view your tasks and schedules at a glance without having to set up complicated workflows or processes.
- Gantt charts: Zoho Projects gives you a visual presentation of the current status of your project using their intuitive Gantt charts. This enables you to create task dependencies, identify critical tasks and stay on schedule.
- Task management: the platform makes it easy to manage your projects and tasks and automate them. You can break your projects into tasks, task lists, subtasks, and milestones. Then you can then visualize project progress with Gantt charts and Kanban boards.
- Powerful automations: Zoho Projects has one of the most robust and flexible automation tools. You can automate your tasks using their Blueprint editor and create custom workflows by setting up conditions and triggers after a certain action.
- Projects timesheet module: the project software makes it easy for you to track the time spent on a project using the timesheets and task timers. Zoho's time tracking tool lets you export your billable hours into your accounting software for easier invoicing.
- Team collaboration: Zoho Projects makes it effortless for your team to work together on a task. Your team can use a chat widget to communicate, forums, @mention, and share documents.
- Mobile project management app: Zoho Projects has a mobile app that allows you to manage your projects using your mobile gadget. The app is well designed and supports portrait and landscape modes for smooth transitions.
Zoho Projects Pricing
Here are Zoho Projects paid packages.
- Free: limited to three users
- Premium: costs $5/ user per month
- Enterprise: costs $10/ user per month
Best for Project Expense Management
Nutcache is an all-around project management software with a fantastic project budgeting tool that enables you to manage your projects effectively. The tool automates your project's time management and invoicing operations like time tracking, estimations, and quotations.
- Time tracking and expenses: Nutcache allows you to capture the time spent on each task and easily add the billing information to your client's invoices. For businesses hiring freelancers billed on an hourly basis, the tool can allow them to track the time spent on a task for easier invoicing.
- All in one project management software: Nutcache combines many features and tools into a single platform, unlike most agile software tools. You can manage your tasks, track your time, manage your expenses, and manage backlogs and invoices on a single platform. These are features that most tools strive to offer.
- Easy task management: the project management software allows you to organize your workflow and visualize every task's progress using the Gantt charts. You can also create subtasks and checklists to break down your tasks into multiple steps for easy management.
- Team collaboration: Nutcache allows you to collaborate on a task with your team at any level in real-time. The project management software allows you to share files, leave comments, assign tasks, and use the @mention tag to allow your team to follow every task activity.
- Integration with business software: Nutcache allows you to sync third-party apps into the system. This ranges from accounting software like QuickBooks Online to development platforms like GitHub.
- Budget management: apart from being an agile project management software, Nutcache allows you to record your expenses, link them to your project and easily bill it to your client. This allows you to track any invoice and know where you spend most of your money on your projects.
Nutcache offers three major packages in their pricing:
- Free: free up to 20 users
- Pro: costs $6/ user per month
- Enterprise: costs $12/ user per month
17. Pivotal Tracker
Best for Small Business Dev Teams
When managing a small team of software developers, you need a budget-friendly project management tool with all the important features you need to streamline your projects. That's where Pivotal Tracker comes into play.
The tool allows you to see what everyone is working on and how the team moves forward. You can create milestones and deadlines, which is super helpful for keeping projects on track.
I was not impressed with the Pivotal Tracker design. The software's design is quite standard. Its color scheme looks outdated, and the overall user interface is not smooth. Hopefully, they could use some design work to improve their UI.
- Project analytics: the tool allows you to track your team's performance and gauge the overall health of your project. You'll get a visual presentation of your project performance and get the data your team needs to check and fix your project's bottlenecks.
- Velocity measures: probably, this is Pivotal Tracker’s best feature. The tool allows you to track your team's productivity trajectory over time and even predict your team's performance in the future.
- Easy file sharing: for easy team collaboration, the software allows you to share files with the rest of the users on your team. This aids in better document management, helping you improve the overall quality of your product.
- Intuitive project workspace: Pivotal Tracker allows you to organize your projects for easy viewing. You can move
- Integrations made simple: the software allows you to create any integration using their REST API, allowing you to add more functionality to the tool.
Pivotal Tracker Pricing
Pivotal Tracker offers three paid plans and a free plan with all the core features you need to create your first project.
- Free: limited to five projects
- Startup: costs $10/ month for a maximum of 10 collaborators
- Standard: costs $6.50/ collaborator per month
- Enterprise: contact their team for a custom pricing
Best for Issue Tracking
Sprintly is designed from the bottom up to be a simple project management solution with all of the capabilities you'd anticipate for software teams. It's fully integrated with Github, which means you can use it right within your code management platform and have everything neatly organized in one place.
- Kanban view: Sprintly allows you to visualize your project tasks' progress across all stages. They have one of the simple Kanban boards with awesome filters and a search bar that allows you to search through items for easier accessibility.
- Issue tracking: the project management tool makes it easier for your team to spot and solve any issues in every stage of development.
- Real-time notifications: you can keep everyone updated about project activities or changes via email or pop-up notification.
- Create unlimited projects: with Sprintly, you are not limited to the number of projects you can create every month.
- Third-Party apps integration: you add more functionality to Sprintly by integrating with third-party software. A Zapier and Sprintly integration lets you automate your workflows and connect to other business software that you might need or already use.
- Sprint planning: for best agile practices, Sprintly enables your Scrum team to develop strategic initiatives on what they will work on and the process they’ll follow to achieve the sprint objective.
Sprintly offers five major plans in their pricing packages.
- Startup: costs $19 per month
- Team: costs $49 per month
- Pro: costs $99 per month
- Agency: costs $199 per month
- Enterprise: costs $399 per month
Key Features of Agile Project Management Software
The following are key features to consider for any agile project management software.
Intuitive User Interface
The best software for agile project management will be simple, allowing you to concentrate on the current task rather than learning how to use it.
The best agile project management software should have great collaboration tools that allow team members to work together in real-time easily. It also helps keep everyone involved in the loop about what's going on with the project.
In agile project management, issue tracking tools allow team members to identify, prioritize, and quickly fix issues so that they don't derail your project.
Reports and Analytics
A great agile project management software allows you to measure your team's performance. This information is vital because it gives you an understanding of what's working for you to replicate it in other areas of your business.
Agile Tools FAQ
Yes. Agile project management is good because it allows for quick, flexible, and iterative changes. It's good for small business projects that need to be done quickly and large projects that need to be done in stages.
The best agile software management is Monday.com. It has a well-balanced suite of features, incorporates an agile methodology in project planning, and is easily customizable to fit any team in any industry. Other best Monday alternatives worth checking out include ClickUp, Teamwork, and Asana.
Agile is good for project management but not for all projects. Let's say your customers need perfect project documentation in each development cycle or want approval in each stage of product development. In this case, agile may fall too short in your options.
On average, the cost of a typical agile project management software ranges between $9 – $25/ month per user.
Which Agile Project Management Tools Should I Try?
Agile project management is a cornerstone of software development methodologies. Yet the concept of agile is far from being standardized most businesses find it difficult to implement it within their working environment.
However, selecting the best software for agile project management that perfectly fulfills your needs may not be easy. To help you get started, we've put together a list of the best agile project management software to choose from.
Nonetheless, if you are looking for more information to help you decide which agile tool to choose, you can check our detailed comparison to make an informed decision.