13 Free Project Management Software (Only the Top Tools & Apps)
Explore the best free project management software tools to promote team collaboration and streamline workflows without breaking the bank.
In this article, I’ll go through 13 free project management software tools and throw in my top 5 picks to save you time.
Are you working on a tight budget and still want to handle all of your projects seamlessly? Then, use our top five free project management apps above to keep your team on track and boost productivity without spending a dime.
In addition, take advantage of the free trials to try out the advanced features and explore how these free project management software solutions can help you manage more work and streamline even the most complex projects.
Best Free Project Management Software
Here’s a list of 13 of the best free project management software tools in 2022.
Best Overall Free Project Management Software
For project managers who want complete control over flexible and remote teams, monday.com is a perfect choice because it allows you to create status updates that alert everyone on the team at the same time. Therefore, monday.com informs your team about their coworker’s schedules, encouraging each team member to do their tasks effectively and efficiently.Try Monday.com
Monday.com is the best free project management software trusted by 152,000+ customers worldwide, such as NHL, Canva, Hulu, Coca-Cola, and so on. This free project management app's popularity comes from its ability to automate any workflow to suit your needs effortlessly.
Whether you’re an enterprise organization or a freelancer, monday.com is flexible enough to work for everyone with project management features like time tracking, team collaboration, and dozens of integrations.
- Automation: With simple automation that requires no training, you can free your team from unnecessary manual tasks in minutes and prevent the same team members from handling recurring tasks
- Gantt charts: Easily track all of your team’s projects and milestones with powerful Gantt charts to visualize everything in between so that work gets done on time.
- Custom templates: Use pre-made templates to help your agile team get started in a snap without wasting time so that they can focus on other critical areas of your business.
- Time tracking: Most project management software provides time-tracking as an add-on at an extra charge. On the other hand, monday.com has a built-in time tracking functionality that helps you in managing projects by identifying the most time-consuming tasks for effective time management.
- Integrations: Supercharge your team to get more work done in less time and eliminate recurring tasks with the right integrations. This platform syncs up with the most helpful business tools such as Slack, Zoom, Dropbox, and Google Calendar.
Monday.com has five different plans, including a Free Individual Plan withup to 2 seats. The other paid plans include Basic at $8, Standard at $!0, and Pro Plan at $16 per seat per month. They also have an Enterprise Plan with custom pricing.
They offer a 14-day free trial for all paid plans except Enterprise Plan.
- Easy to use
- All plans come with unlimited boards and docs
- They offer 24/7 customer support
- It has limited task dependencies
Best Free Project Management Software With Unlimited Users
There’s a lot to love about ClickUp, but the most exciting thing is that its free version allows you to add unlimited team members and tasks. They have also made their core features free for streamlined workflows, making ClickUp ideal for small businesses on a budget. You should only purchase its premium plans when you have a large team.Try ClickUp
ClickUp is the best knowledge management and collaboration tool that offers impressive features to help different teams working on the same project. This is possible thanks to 15+ different task views, including Gantt charts, timelines, mind maps, workloads, and more.
As a result, ClickUp acts as an all-in-one project management solution for your different teams, such as marketing, development, sales, or design.
- Time management: Make the most of your time by using global time tracking and reporting to generate billable time. You can also provide time estimates for tasks to help your team set expectations and allocate resources more efficiently.
- Team collaboration: Collaborate on anything with your team through powerful features such as whiteboards, proofing, email, chat, and comments to streamline teamwork and get more work done. Prevent confusion when giving instructions by adding, assigning, and resolving comments on tasks.
- Multiple views: You can get a complete overview of overall project progress through various views for streamlined workflows. These views include Gantt charts, whiteboards, workload, mind maps, activity, and many more.
- To-do lists: Organize your to-do lists to keep track of ideas and work from anywhere to avoid forgetting anything. You can also transform task lists into actionable workflows by adding assignees and tasks.
- Integrations: With over 1,000 integrations, you can integrate with your favorite tools like Slack, GitHub, and Everhour to keep them all in one place. Use the automatic import to bring everything from your other project management apps like Asana, Trello, monday.com, and Jira into ClickUp with just a few clicks.
Click has a Free Forever Plan and three paid plans, including Unlimited at $5, Business at $12, and Business Plus at $19 per member per month. They also offer a quote-based Enterprise Plan.
- The free version comes with unlimited team members
- They provide a brief start video guide, which makes onboarding simple.
- It has more different views than the other tools on our list
- Requires a steep learning curve
Most Versatile Free Project Management Tool
I love Wrike's capabilities of customizing workflows and editing or revising projects from within the platform itself. You can create tasks from other tools with Wrike apps and integrations, and it also allows you to export data relevant to your company to empower your team and streamline workflows. This free software lets you collaborate on anything by adding comments to documents, videos, and task sections to improve teamwork.Try Wrike
Wrike is a work management platform with many of the same capabilities as a spreadsheet but is more flexible. So, if you prefer a spreadsheet-like interface for your to-do lists, this is the best free project management software.
Wrike has a free version with up to five users and includes features like task and substack management, interactive board and spreadsheets views, and many more. So, you can use this agile project management software to create your own project and manage it for free.
- Portfolio management: Connect strategy, project planning, execution, and results with Wrike's project portfolio management system for improved real-time optimizations. You can also view the available resources and the effort required to reduce risks from the start.
- Custom request forms: You can use custom request forms to auto-assign tasks, populate subtasks, set due dates, and add custom rules or automation. The request forms allow you to provide your team with all the necessary information to manage multiple projects without asking them questions repeatedly.
- Gantt charts: This work management platform allows you to use Gantt charts to create project plans using a simple drag-and-drop interface and visualize them for adequate project progress.
- Kanban boards: You can use online Kanban boards to help your agile team clarify team priorities to increase productivity in less time. Kanban boards provide organization-wide visibility of unlimited projects and tasks by breaking down silos.
- Wrike Integrate: This task management platform integrates with over 400+ apps allowing you to view and manage tasks from all your projects in one central hub. Wrike integrates even with the most sophisticated CRM and IT software to accelerate everyday workflows.
Wrike has a Free Plan with up to five users. Other paid plans include Professional at $9.80, Business at $24.80 per user per month, and a quote-based Enterprise Plan. They also offer custom-built plans, including Marketing Teams Plan and Professional Service Teams Plan.
There is a 14-day free trial for all the paid plans.
- Offers real-time analytics after every 15 minutes
- Provides easy-to-use resource management and automated insights
- It has a dedicated help center to make onboarding as simple as possible
- Limited mobile functionality
Best Free Project Management Software for Complex Projects
If you're a project manager working on multiple projects with many moving variables, Smartsheet, a spreadsheet-style project management platform, might be a good fit for you. You can rest assured that this flexible project management software will improve collaboration and streamline workflows with tons of valuable features.Try Smartsheet
Smartsheet is a simple project management software that empowers your team for work management with flexible features, such as real-time collaboration, process automation, and unlimited sheets and dashboards,
Even though Smartsheet does not offer a free version, its 30-day free trial allows you to test the platform for at least one month before subscribing to its paid plans. As a result, you can use Smartsheet for free to determine if the premium plans and features are worth paying for.
- Automation: You can implement simple and powerful automation in minutes to plan projects and empower your team by sending daily deadline reminders to get more work done.
- Content collaboration: Oversee content production from your project sheets and invite clients, vendors, and coworkers without sheet access to eliminate confusion and promote content collaboration. This makes it the best team management system for large teams.
- Admin tools: Set up user types to control what your team members can and can't do with your Smartsheet account. You can also control the platform's ownership, access, and usage.
- Activity log: You can view project milestones and see any changes made on dashboards, reports, and sheets using the activity log. You can also filter the activity log by collaborator, type of action, and date range to find specific details fast.
- WorkApps: Use this no-code platform to build intuitive web and mobile apps within minutes directly from your sheets, dashboards, forms, or reports. WorkApps allows you to ease collaboration and streamline workflows within this project management software.
Smartsheet paid plans are Pro at $7 and Business at $25 per user per month. They also offer two other custom-priced plans, including Enterprise and Smart Advance.
There is a 30-day free trial for Pro and Business Plans.
- User-friendly interface
- It has the most-advanced resource center for quick onboarding
- Allows you to set task dependencies based on usage rates
- It doesn’t offer a free plan
Best Free Project Management Software for Small Teams
With Teamwork, you can eliminate misunderstandings and missed deadlines among your team by efficiently organizing and assigning tasks, uploading files, and setting milestones and deadlines. What’s more? You can try Teamwork for free with its free forever plan, or better yet, sign up for a 30-day free trial to try out its premium paid plans for at least one month.Try Teamwork
Teamwork is one of the free project management apps on our list that has a free trial and a free version with up to five users. Additionally, over 20,000 businesses rely on this project management system to operate their operations.
Teamwork stands out among other tools because it allows you to invite clients to your projects at no extra cost, making it the best agile project management tool for managing projects at all levels.
- Portfolio management: Use Teamwork’s portfolio management tool to track tasks and get a bird’s eye view of your projects for better clarity.
- Kanban boards: You can use Kanban boards to help your team visualize their project tasks and automate your business processes so that you can monitor who's doing what and identify bottlenecks before they occur.
- Unlimited free client users: With the free client users functionality, you can empower your clients to contribute more to your projects or tasks, resulting in more powerful collaborations.
- Time tracking: Stay on schedule with this time management software to maintain focus, get more work done, and receive better insights using its built-in online time tracker.
- File and versioning: You can save all of your project files in one place, categorize them, and add new versions to keep track of their development. This enables you to track and manage changes to your files over time.
Teamwork has a Free Forever Plan and two paid plans, including Deliver at $10 and Grow at $18 per user per month. They also offer a Scale Plan with custom pricing.
There is a 30-day free trial for Deliver and Grow Plans.
- Offers a free version and a free trial
- Easy to use task management software
- It has excellent integration capabilities
- Lacks step-by-step documentation options
Best Free Project Management Software for Unlimited Tasks and Projects
Asana is the best free project management app for small and remote teams since it offers access to unlimited projects, tasks, messages, and activity logs in its free version.
You can view your projects in various ways, such as list view, board view, and calendar view, even with the free version. Additionally, you can test Asana for free for 30 days before purchasing its paid plans if you wish to integrate custom rules and other premium features.
- Workflow builder: Use the workflow builder to organize work, assign tasks, connect teams, and streamline processes all in one place, from start to finish. With this project management tool, you can manage unlimited tasks with ease and clarity for streamlined workflows.
- Custom timelines: You can create project plans to stay on schedule and set project milestones with attainable deadlines. In addition, you can use a project roadmap to identify problems and task dependencies before you start for effective task management.
- Team collaboration: Through file sharing, team communication, and group discussions, this platform allows a project manager to plan projects and boost cooperation. Asana also allows users to define task dependencies, assign priorities, set due dates, and chat back and forth within a single card,
- Multiple views: You can view your multiple projects in various ways, including Kanban boards, timelines, workloads, portfolios, and lists. Switching between views is also simple with a single mouse click, allowing you to get a big-picture perspective for better project planning.
- Integrations: This project management app integrates with over 100 third-party business tools like Slack, Google Drive, Dropbox, Zapier, and Salesforce. You can also use Asana APIs to build custom apps for your team and work style.
Asana has a Free Plan with unlimited projects and tasks. The paid plans are Premium at $10.99 and Business at $24.99 per user per month. They also offer Asana Enterprise Plan with custom pricing.
There is a 30-day free trial for Premium and Business Plans.
- Easy-to-use intuitive interface
- It comes with a free version and a free trial
- Offers robust integrations with the most helpful business tools
- Lacks a project tracking feature
Best Free Project Management Platform for Enhanced Collaboration
Bitrix24 is a free project management software tool that doubles as CRM software. Over 10 million organizations trust this platform because it enhances team collaboration with features such as chats and video calls, online meetings, workgroups, calendars, and feeds.
Bitrix24 is a great option for nonprofits and freelancers because it has a free version with unlimited users, collaboration tools, and a website builder.
- Team collaboration: With 35+ tools onboard, this project management software has all you need for productive team collaboration. These tools include video conferencing, project calendars, and online meetings, making it the best project management software for remote teams.
- CRM: To save you time and money, Bitrix also offers a digital sales suite with client management, customer support, and marketing automation features. As a result, you'll be able to discover which prospects your sales reps should concentrate on and assign automatically.
- Autofocus mode: The system can automatically filter out the most relevant tasks based on the most recent activity. Bitrix24 allows you to find any task or project, regardless of how many projects or tasks you run simultaneously.
- Resource management: You can track time spent on tasks to evenly share the workload, generate task reports, and track KPIs to keep track of your team's project progress.
- Website builder: You can create a website or landing page in about 30 minutes using their visual website builder. Just tweak a template to match your style and marketing needs to get your own website.
Bitrix24 offers four different options, one of which is a Free Version with unlimited users. The paid plans are Basic at $39 per month (up to five users), Standard at $79 per month (up to 50 users), and Professional at $159 per month (unlimited users)
They also offer on-premise editions with varying prices for Business and Enterprise Plans.
There is a 15-day free trial across its paid plans.
- You can build your own website within minutes
- Its a very secure CRM platform
- Provides efficient communication solutions
- Requires a steep learning curve
Best Free Project Management Software for Efficient Project Planning
Paymo is the best free project management software for development teams. They have built-in collaboration capabilities, transparent time tracking, file proofing, and process automation for effective project planning.
With Paymo, you can use advanced features like Gantt charts, team schedules, milestones, and real-time active timers to reduce delays. You can also create your own project or automatically assign tasks to experienced teams to keep your multiple projects on track and within budget.
- Multiple assignees: Easily assign multiple users to the same task to boost teamwork and streamline workflows. Additionally, you can view all team's projects or tasks grouped by task priority or due date for effective task management.
- Task dependencies: Set dependencies on specific tasks to demonstrate that one activity relies on the completion of another. To put all work details in context, you can also leave comments on particular tasks.
- Multiple views: Plan projects and visualize them differently through Gantt charts, board, table, list, and calendar views. With just a single mouse click, you can switch between the views and better understand how to complete your task lists.
- Kanban boards: You can drop and drag tasks between columns into a board format to create custom workflows that work for you and your team to maximize efficiency and limit work-in-progress.
- Time tracking: You can use the built-in time tracking feature to track and log time for any project and task for better team management. You can also manage even the most complex projects by setting realistic project milestones.
Paymo has four plans, including a Free Version (only one user), Starter at $4.95 (only one user), Small Office at $9.95 per user per month (no user limit), and Business at $20.79 per user per month (minimum five users).
There is a 15-day free trial across all the paid plans.
- Easy-to-use interface
- The interface is multilingual, with 23 different languages available
- They have the best time-tracking features
- The free plan includes only one user
9. Toggl Plan
Simple Project Management Tool for Better Visualization
Toggl Plan is a simple task management software that allows you to manage projects, tasks, and teams using Kanban boards and project timelines.
With this project management solution, you can get the best overview of a specific project roadmap to know who's working on what and when essential milestones are likely to be met. Therefore, Toggl Plan is the perfect project management app for small and mid-sized teams.
- Team collaboration: Streamline communication within your team and boost collaboration by inviting clients, vendors, or other stakeholders to your projects. Use file sharing, checklists, and feedback to speed up even the most complex projects.
- Multiple assignees: Use this project management solution to easily add multiple people to a single task and have them work together from start to finish to boost team management. As a result, Toggl Plan can work well when managing development teams.
- Task scheduler: You can easily schedule and assign tasks, even recurrent ones, using a simple drag and drop mechanism. Quickly add color-coded milestones to track task progress and identify which projects require extra attention to reach deadlines on time.
- Team timelines: With unlimited team timelines, you can easily manage projects and schedule work around your team's availability to obtain a clear overview and keep on top of your team's work.
- Toggl Track: This project management software improves project planning since it allows you to stay productive by using Toggle Track to track time spent on tasks.
Toggl Plan has two pricing packages, including Team Plan at $8 and Business Plan at $13.35 per user per month.
There is a 14-day free trial for all its plans.
- Intuitive and easy-to-use interface
- Integrates with time tracking software Toggl Track
- Supports multiple assignees
- It lacks a free version
Button middle danger Try Toggl Plan https://toggl.com/plan/Try Toggl Plan
Best Free Project Management Software for Issue Tracking
nTask is the best free project management software for tracking issues and bugs and streamlining releases for practical tasks or project issue management. To manage issues as they occur, you can assign severity, priority, and status to them.
nTask is trusted by over 150,000 companies in 155 countries, most of them being development teams. This isdue to the issue and bug tracking features, making software development tasks a breeze while keeping everyone engaged.
- Risk management: Identify project risk, assign risk owners, and create mitigation measures to prepare for unforeseen events to ensure effective project delivery.
- Issue tracking: You can end the ticketing nightmare that most other solutions create, allowing you to effortlessly manage unlimited tasks and keep on top of your team's projects.
- Kanban boards: This free software is ideal for managing projects on Kanban boards to improve productivity. You can also move and assign tasks in a matter of seconds. The boards provide complete transparency of projects and real-time communication to streamline workflows.
- Gantt charts: Plan multiple projects, visualize them with Gantt charts, and track time for robust project planning. You can also create tasks, set task dependencies, and link issues within projects in just a few clicks.
- Integrations: You can integrate this task management tool with over 1000+ apps for a seamless project management experience, including Google Calendar, Outlook Calendar, Apple Calendar, Microsoft Teams, and Zoom.
nTask has a Basic Free Plan with up to five users, Premium Plan at $3 per month, Business Plan at $8 per month, and Enterprise Plan with custom pricing.
There is a 14-day free trial for Premium and Business Plans.
- Easy onboarding process
- Offers a free version and a free trial
- Provides 24/7 real-time customer support
- Large files take longer to upload
Best Free Project Management Software for Process Automation
Trello is the right project management software tool for small businesses and freelancers since it allows you to drag and drop cards and rearrange workflows to match your business operations.
With Trello's free version, project managers can add unlimited users to projects or tasks for maximum team collaboration. They can also assign tasks, set due dates, and keep track of each team member's activity logs to get more work done.
Trello is the best free project management app for managing projects with simplicity.
- Automation: With automation with butler functionally, this project management platform offers unlimited automation commands for streamlined workflows. You can also add team members, create task lists, assign tasks, and set due dates without lifting a finger.
- Team collaboration: With features like comments, mentions, document sharing, and real-time notifications, you can easily manage tasks while collaborating with your team.
- Advanced permissions: Project managers can use advanced permissions to govern who joins a team or boards for which they are the administrator. Trello accomplishes this by restricting invites and includes a bulk deactivation option.
- Multiple views: You can avoid bottlenecks by synchronizing every moving part in your task lists or projects using different views for better visualization. These views include a timeline, table, dashboard, calendar, and map.
- Integrations: You can integrate with 200+ helpful business tools like Microsoft Teams, Google Drive, Slack, and many more your team might need to streamline workflows directly from Trello boards.
Trello has a Free Plan with unlimited users. The paid plans are Standard at $5, Premium at $10, and Enterprise starting at $17.50 per user per month.
There is a 14-day free trial for the Premium Plan.
- Intuitive user interface
- Free version with unlimited users
- Offers pre-made templates for a range of different project types
- Not ideal for complex projects
Best Free Project Management Tool for Well-Organized Tasks
Todoist is one of the free project management apps on our list that lets you organize tasks, files, and discussions all in one place, making it easier to manage projects and deliver work on time. This free software facilitates teamwork by ensuring everyone knows what has to be done and when.
Todoist makes collaboration simple by ensuring that your projects are well-organized and help you remember deadlines to develop good work habits.
- Quick add: Use the quick add functionality to create and organize tasks into your task lists, and you'll never lose track of important information like assignees, due dates, and priority levels. You can also add tasks by forwarding emails to your Todoist account as tasks or comments.
- Auto backups: You can quickly restore a project anytime, whether lost or deleted, to avoid starting from scratch with the auto backups feature. Drag and drop a recovered file into a new project to restore projects or tasks.
- Kanban boards: These boards provide different ways of managing projects because you can create your own task views to match your unique style. As a result, you can get a clear picture of your projects to streamline workflows.
- Calendar feeds: To make your workflow easier, display your scheduled tasks on your preferred calendar. You can also view tasks in progress and set due dates to avoid missing out on deadlines and deliver more.
- Integrations. This project management software tool integrates with most apps you already use, like Zapier, Dropbox, and Outlook, to bring everything into one centralized hub.
Todoist has three plans, including a Free Plan with up to five users, Pro Plan at $3 per month, and Business Plan at $5 per user per month.
There is a 30-day free trial for the Business Plan.
- Flexible and easy-to-use interface
- Offers a free version and a free trial
- They offer 24/7 data sync
- Requires a steep learning curve
Best Free Project Management Software for Remote Teams
Basecamp is the right project management tool for remote teams with advanced features like to-do lists, real-time group chats, and message boards that help keep your team well organized to get more work done.
With this project management software, you can keep everyone in the loop without status meetings and daily standups through automatic check-in questions.
- Team collaboration: By incorporating collaboration features such as group chat, message boards, and pings, this project management tool eliminates the need for third-party tools.
- To-do lists: Create to-do lists, assign tasks, set due dates, discuss, and Basecamp will follow up to ensure no tasks are overdue. They help you and your team to stay organized for streamlined business processes.
- Client access: To streamline processes, you can invite clients, stakeholders, or other managers and give them direct access to projects or tasks, as well as limit what they can see or modify.
- Files sharing & storage: Basecamp features a section for sharing all kinds of files, and only those with access can see or share them. You can also color-code specific files to keep things organized.
- Integrations: Slack, Gmail, Trello, Google Calendar, Google Sheets, and other apps can be integrated with Basecamp to keep them all in one place for faster access.
Basecamp has a Free Personal Plan with limited features. The only paid plan is the Business Plan at $99 per month with unlimited projects and users.
There is a 30-day free trial for the Business Plan.
- Easy onboarding process
- It offers a free version and a free trial
- There are numerous add-ons available to increase its capabilities
- Lacks advanced features like Gantt charts
Key Features of Free Project Management Tools
We have so many best project management software options, and deciding which one is ideal for you and your team can be time-consuming and confusing.
So, how do you know you've chosen the right solution to help you manage your tasks without complicating your workflow? It's critical to comprehend the features that the top free project management software should possess to meet your business needs.
Here are the five key features to look out for in most free project management tools.
1. Number of Users
The amount of users you can have on most free project management software is limited. For example, the free version of Monday.com only allows for two people, whereas ClickUp, Trello, and Bitrix24 allow for unlimited users.
So, make sure that your preferred project management software accommodates everyone on your team. Or better yet, see if it provides a free trial so you can try out the premium features before committing to a paid membership.
A great free project management tool should be designed to improve collaboration and communication within your team for efficient task management.
To improve teamwork and guarantee work is completed on time, your team should use the best online collaboration tools to exchange information, receive task updates, and share projects.
Ask yourself. Can your team communicate with each other within the platform? Is it possible for everyone to control tasks on the software?
You should choose a project management software that includes collaboration tools, such as message boards and built-in chat apps.
3. Project & Time Tracking
If you want to streamline work and prevent bottlenecks, keep track of time for each activity.
For successful resource management, you can use project and time tracking to identify how much time it takes to accomplish each activity and how it affects the overall project budget.
Time tracking also ensures that resources and burdens are allocated based on the work and time needed to complete projects. This allows you to see how successful your team performs on particular projects, and you can use that information to improve their efficiency and success.
4. Reporting & Analytics
A good project management software should have a reporting and analytics feature that allows project managers to track the status of all projects and gather any data needed to get insight into how projects are doing.
It enables managers or account holders to control workflow and address potential issues to avoid missing deadlines and improve task management efficiency.
5. User-Friendly Interface
Everything from the onboarding process to task management should be made easier with project management software. The less effort you put into using the tool, the more benefits you can reap.
So, select the best free project management software that requires little to no training for streamlined work management. Also, check if the software includes quick start video instructions, assistance materials, and reliable customer service.
Streamline Workflows with Free Project Management Software
Every software offers something different to work with. The one you choose should be determined by the most pressing needs of your team and your business goals.
So, stay on top of your business workflow management using the free project management tools reviewed above without paying a single coin. How is that possible?
You can use the free versions or sign up for the free trials to test out different project management tools to see which one works best for you and your team for streamlined workflows.
Here are our top five free project management tools again:
Still undecided about the best free project management software? Don't worry. To make an informed decision, take a look at our more in-depth comparison reviews of various project management software.