23 Best Monday.com Alternatives for Project Management of 2022
Are you researching project management tools to find the best Monday.com alternative? You have several options.
We can never over-emphasize the importance of choosing a project management tool that does what you want it to do.
For one person, it may be important to track time and build custom project reports. For someone else, the most important thing might be making detailed project plans and simplifying client invoicing.
Keeping your specific needs in mind, get to understand why Monday.com might not be the best solution for you and your team.
Why Look for an Alternative to Monday.com?
Monday.com is a single platform for work management, including project and task management. However, you'll soon face certain challenges if you use it for complex work or with a large team.
Here are four reasons why you should consider choosing an alternative to Monday.com.
- Expensive pricing: Monday.com’s pricing is based on groups of users starting from three, then five, ten, fifteen, going up. This means that a project manager with a team of six will buy the plan for 10 users, paying for four extra seats that no-one will use.
- Unbalanced plans: although lower-tier plans usually lack advanced project management features, Monday’s lower-tier plans lack the most basic features. For instance, their standard plan, which they say is the most popular, lacks basic functionality such as time tracking, and the dashboard is very limited.
- Limited integrations: Monday.com has very limited integration options when it comes to actions. The standard plan allows up to 250 actions per month, meaning it’s not viable for big projects with lots of cross-app communication.
- Setting up could take time: Monday.com’s customizability is great, although it can also become a hindrance. Customizing the platform when getting started could take time and affect productivity, something no project manager wants.
Best Monday.com Alternatives for Project Management
Many project management tools provide a comparison of their software against Monday.com to show that they’re better.
The question is, can software comparisons by a competitor be objective?
After going through many of the top project management tools, we found that there are a couple of options that stand out. In this article, we review the below list of Monday.com alternatives:
- Zoho Project
- Microsoft Project
Best Monday.com Alternative for Team Collaboration
I love ClickUp for how it empowers teams to work on their projects with a clear focus on hitting targets and achieving goals. You can use ClickApps to customize your processes and meet specific project requirements while significantly cutting costs by choosing any of its affordable plans.Try ClickUp
ClickUp ups your team’s productivity by keeping you focused on project goals which can be assigned periodic targets. And compared to Monday.com, this project management tool presents you with all the vital numbers in over 15 visualizations which you can personalize as you wish.
You can find a breakdown of how much ClickUp costs here.
You can also create custom apps to provide specific functionality.
- Collaboration: work together as a team and share updates via real-time chat. You can mention a team member, attach files, assign comments, and control chat access. You can also co-edit documents and turn text into trackable tasks.
- Goals: connect your project goals to tasks, true/false values, periodic targets, and more. Define project timelines, automatically track your progress, organize goals into folders, and use permissions to control access to Goals data.
- Automation: set triggers to automate such tasks as creating status updates, assigning new work, syncing with external apps, and more. You can also automate routine processes using customizable automation recipes.
- Views: choose from 15+ views to visualize your work the way you want and sort the data using filters to see what you need. You can organize tasks, color-code them, identify project bottlenecks, manage team workload, and more.
- ClickApps: make ClickUp your own by customizing it using ClickApps designed for specific functionalities. There are ClickApps for email communication, linking items to each other, creating custom data fields, reporting, and more.
- 24/7 support
- Free training
- Unlimited custom fields on any paid plan
- Not the easiest tool to learn
- Limited mobile app
Best Monday.com Alternative for Professional Service Teams
Wrike is a versatile tool that does everything right regarding project management, and it simply shines when it comes to advanced analytics. Wrike uses AI-based algorithms to assess project risks and determine task priorities, and boosts security by letting you manage your encryption keys.Try Wrike
Wrike is both simple for small businesses and powerful for large teams. With project management features for enterprise teams, this tool provides a platform for cross-departmental collaboration and AI-driven risk analysis.
You can also set up personalized views and create custom rules to automate your processes.
- Work Intelligence: get AI-based recommendations for task priorities and risk analysis and mitigation for your projects. Work Intelligence will also handle repetitive work, take voice commands and use machine learning to predict project delays.
- Reports: customize reports to track project progress while identifying and eliminating blockers. Get visibility on your work, measure team performance, manage the project budget, and track profitability. You can also add analytical widgets for advanced reporting.
- Resource management: build the right team for every project based on team members’ availability and capacity. You can use project requirements to plan for resources, track time spent on tasks, and see the real-time impact on your budget.
- Wrike Lock: add an extra layer of security by managing the encryption keys to your Wrike data. You can use encryption key usage logs for auditing data access activity and deciding who can access your data.
- Project tracking: break your work down into tasks and sub-tasks and use deadlines to keep it all on track. You can automate specific tasks and processes, collaborate on tasks in real-time, personalize your task views, and report on task progress.
- AI-based analytics
- Enterprise-grade security
- Free training
- Limited integrations
- Limited mobile functionality
A Spreadsheet-like Project Management Software for Enterprise Teams Managing Complex Projects
Smartsheet looks different from other project management apps but offers powerful capabilities that make its enterprise customers stick with it. For teams that need a platform that can easily scale with growing project requirements, Smartsheet is the most logical solution.Try SmartSheet
Smartsheet gives you lots of control over the admin aspects of portfolio and project management. This helps you plan and set project priorities around your organization’s mid and long-term goals.
With a centralized DAM system, this project management software lets you easily control data access and analyze engagement metrics.
- Control Center: improve portfolio-level visibility to make better decisions regarding project resources. Centralize the project approval process, manage changes in project plans, and use blueprints to launch projects at scale.
- Digital Asset Management: provide your team and prospects with controlled access to brand assets with the ability to search asset metadata. Use Brand Intelligence to understand the engagement rates of your assets as well as where they’re being used.
- Reports: pull data from multiple sheets and see the real-time project progress. Use visual reports to track KPIs and other metrics, identify trends that will inform decisions, and share reports with the team. You can also monitor access to reports.
- Integrations: improve efficiency using native integrations with G Suite, Adobe CC, DocuSign, and more. Use Data Shuttle to merge CSV and Google Sheets data into Smartsheet and sync data with other business platforms such as Jira.
- Proofing: get your content reviewed by team members and clients even without sheet access. Use pinned annotations to provide feedback, assign multiple reviewers, and set reminders to keep content teams on track.
- Detailed reports
- Smartsheet university
- Unlimited users on the business plan
- The interface isn't modern
- Has a bit of a learning curve
Best Project Management Alternative to Monday.com for Client Collaboration
Teamwork helps you earn more business by helping you to give your clients a wonderful collaboration experience. You control what clients can see and do, avoid unnecessary emails, and build trust through increased transparency. And since Teamwork doesn't charge you for client users, your profitability isn't affected.Try Teamwork
Teamwork allows you to invite as many client users as necessary. The goal is to promote trust through collaboration while empowering you to decide what sections of your project clients can access.
For the all-important task dependencies, Teamwork is better than Monday.com because it provides this feature in its free plan.
- Client Users: collaborate with your clients by giving them controlled access to Teamwork. With visibility into the project and the ability to create tasks, post comments, and even track time, you’ll increase transparency and build stronger relationships.
- Collaboration: work with your team and engage from a central point using chat. Schedule meetings and sync calendars, see the pending tasks, task owners, and dependencies, set permission for data access, and visualize progress using the board view.
- Profitability tracking: create project budgets and get notified when your spend exceeds the set thresholds. Customize budget reports, sort projects to show the most and least profitable projects, and share insights with your team.
- Resource management: plan and schedule your resources for day-to-day tasks or months and years ahead. Assign and re-assign work to reflect current situations and avoid blockers. Analyze past projects for insights to help you improve your resource estimates.
- Time tracking: monitor how and where your team is spending time to understand and improve team performance. Manage billable hours, simplify client invoicing and payroll processing, and optimize time management for increased profitability.
- Unlimited client users on any paid plan
- Accountability management
- Excellent customer support
- Can be sluggish at times
- Limited mobile app
An Easy-to-use Task Management Tool Alternative to Monday.com
Asana is not only simple but also effective for project and task management. Whether working on a personal to do list or using the agile methodology to manage product development, Asana has you covered. With the opportunity to create up to 30 custom fields, you can easily collect any data you need and customize processes to meet project requirements.Try Asana
Asana provides a simple way of managing tasks and projects. Used by individuals and companies, Asana makes it easy to monitor your work progress and distribute work among teams.
Boosting team morale is also easy because team members can see how their efforts contribute to achieving project goals.
- Workflows: build custom workflows that align your team to project and organizational goals. Empower team members to create processes and use Workflow Reporting to monitor progress. You can also edit workflows to reflect team changes and save them as customizable templates.
- Workload: assign and re-assign tasks to avoid overworking or underworking your team. Give your tasks numerical values to estimate the effort required to carry out tasks and use the values to balance your team’s workload.
- Goals: define company-wide goals and prioritize tasks towards achieving those goals. Set OKRs, psych up your team by showing them their contribution towards goals, reduce task conflict, and boost team performance.
- Forms: create processes that make tracking and prioritizing requested work easy. Use form branching to avoid unnecessary questions and collect relevant information. You can save time for actual work by automatically assigning requested work to the right people.
- Collaboration: use comments and mentions to engage with team members, whether they are task owners or followers. You can hold team discussions, make announcements on the public chat, or send private messages to specific users.
- Great free plan
- Extensive resource library
- Unlimited free guests on any paid plan
- Limited customization
- No in-built time tracking
Best Project Management Software Alternative to Monday.com for SMBs
Zoho Projects is designed for SMBs, although it can also accommodate big teams. Their features and plans allow small teams to shift their project management from spreadsheets to a more efficient platform at an affordable fee.
To get advanced analytics, check out the Zoho Analytics integration.
- Work management: manage projects using milestones and break tasks into sub-tasks. You can define work hours, set task priority, visualize work progress on Kanban boards and Gantt charts, and sync your calendar to update team members on scheduled tasks.
- Collaboration: engage with your team on the interactive feed or use private and group chats. You can tag team members, post comments and task updates, and attach files. Use forums to hold discussions and the version control system to keep files up to date.
- Reports: check time spent on tasks, monitor work progress and your team’s workload, and understand your team and project performance. Integrating with Zoho Analytics adds 50+ extra reports that project managers can share with relevant stakeholders.
- Customization: similar to Monday.com, Zoho projects lets you personalize your workspace using custom layouts that you can save for future use. You can create custom fields and statuses for the project data and sort tasks into a custom view.
- User admin: create user profiles for your team and manage data access using role-based permissions. You can add clients to your projects to get their input and feedback on project progress and compare your team’s planned vs. actual hours.
- Free trial
- Unlimited users and projects on the enterprise plan
- Limited free plan
- Limited support
Best Project Management Software Alternative to Monday.com for Sales and Marketing Teams
Bitrix24 is a business management software with modules for project management, HR, and other teams.
One area in which this project management tool shines is collaboration. Bitrix24 offers premium features for collaboration, including HD video calls, while also providing employee recognition features.
This task management tool also comes with time tracking and leave management.
- Work management: auto-create tasks, set deadlines, assign work, and send out notifications. Manage work using sub-tasks and checklists, monitor tasks using Gantt chart, calendar, deadline, and other views, and just like Monday.com, use project templates to get started faster.
- Time tracking: provide your team with the flexibility to start and pause timers on desktop and mobile to track work hours. Manage shifts using Work Schedules and track paid time off, vacations, sick leaves, and more.
- Files: share files with your team, store documents online, and control access using permissions. Create file labels to organize files and search for the documents you need. You can also provide clients with restricted access to your files.
- Collaboration: work with your team and engage using private and group chats and video conferences. You can invite clients to your chats and control their access and search through the chat history.
- Reports: visualize your tasks, track project progress, and monitor resource usage to determine team performance. You can customize reports by ordering columns, filtering the data, and creating nested conditions to display the required information.
- HR management features
- Affordable for big teams
- Unlimited users on the professional plan
- Tedious setup
- Poor support
Robust Project Management Software for Enterprise Teams Handling Multiple Complex Projects
Workfront can easily handle projects being run by cross-departmental teams. It enables you to strategize and execute your project plans while collecting data to help with process optimization.
If you're managing multiple projects at a time, you can use this project management software to see your teams’ capacity, balance the workload, and track your KPIs.
- Work management: create a strategy, plan the work, and execute through collaboration across the enterprise. See incoming work, track work in progress, optimize your asset review processes, and use smart analytics to measure project performance.
- Resource management: allocate work to the right teams based on skills and availability. Monitor your team’s capacity and adjust the workload to avoid burnout and get real-time insight into project progress.
- Goals: set company-wide goals, define KPIs and OKRs, and keep teams focused using status updates. See how work activities contribute to achieving of goals and monitor progress to ensure everyone is moving in the right direction.
- Scenario planner: create scenarios that help you easily adjust your plans and processes in the event of change. Tap into new project data and compare scenarios side-by-side to identify flaws and improve scenarios.
- Fusion: connect Workfront to any web-based business tool to sync data and work across systems. You can also create rules to automate handoffs and integrate with other apps using REST and SOAP APIs.
- Well-organized user interface
- Very scalable
- Technical support and training available
- Mobile app UX can be improved
- Needs training
Best Project Management Tool for Advanced Time Tracking
Paymo is an effective task management software that simplifies work by empowering teams to engage privately and publicly. You can create your project schedule as a team to ensure everyone is comfortable with the suggested timelines and evaluate performance using timesheets.
With the ability to receive online payments, it becomes easier to project and manage your business income.
- Work management: manage work using tasks and lists while tracking your tasks and the team’s tasks in separate views. Attach documents to your tasks, set priorities, use filters to personalize your task views, and use burndown graphs to monitor progress.
- Collaboration: use real-time chat to update and discuss with teammates, choose who to engage in discussions with, sync Paymo and Slack, and set up email or in-app notifications to provide project updates.
- Online payments: avoid delayed payments and improve your cash flow by getting paid directly from your invoice through credit card or ACH. Get transactional reports and export your payment history for accounting and audit.
- Resource management: use the scheduler to manage your team’s workload and re-distribute work if necessary to balance team efforts. You can collaborate on scheduling, manage employee leaves on the timeline, and book time by the hour.
- Time management: create timesheets from your desktop or mobile device using a timer, add notes to your timesheets, track the timers of different teammates in parallel, make manual time entries, and use filters to personalize timesheet views.
- Advanced features for time tracking
- Online remote assistance on the business plan
- Free trial
- Limited mobile app
Best Work Management Software for Enterprise Teams That Need Custom Workflows
Clarizen gives project managers the tools they need to deliver projects on time using custom workflows designed for efficiency.
You can manage project risks, use whatever methodology that fits your project, personalize your workspace, and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Project planning: plan your work using portfolio and task-level views, define project deliverables, task timelines, and dependencies, monitor work progress through different views, and mitigate project risks.
- Work management: design your workflow according to the waterfall, agile or other methodology and organize work using boards. Break down work into smaller chunks and set priorities while giving external users controlled access to the project for collaboration.
- Financial management: manage your project budget to avoid over-spending and impacting your profitability. Plan your expenses, including hourly rates for everyone from individual team members to cross-departmental project teams.
- Reports: evaluate work progress and measure project performance. Identify potential blockers and manage risks, track your defined targets, filter through data to create custom reports, and automate the creation of PowerPoint presentations.
- Customization: customize your workspace to make it fit your working style. Customize templates according to project requirements and integrate Clarizen with other tools to automate your processes and increase efficiency.
- Full work management solution
- Full-featured mobile app
- KPI and KPA tracking
- Set up takes time
- Limited integrations
Best Project Management Software for In-depth Project Management Reports
Celoxis puts a lot of focus on the processes needed to deliver your projects successfully. You can track your project’s critical path and plan your work according to your team’s availability and capacity.
And instead of printing different reports, why not download your full dashboard as a pdf?
- Work management: plan multiple projects and connect them using dependencies, define priorities, and sort requests by KPIs. Use baselines and critical path analysis to track your projects, forecast revenue, and manage your spend to ensure profitability.
- Resource management: understand your resources in terms of skills and availability and plan how to meet the demand. Prioritize projects with high business value and allocate the needed resources while actively monitoring capacity using overload alerts.
- Reports: get the behind-the-scenes of any project or task and create custom fields to filter the data. You can customize report layouts, download full dashboards in pdf, and share them with specific team members via email.
- Collaboration: set your team up for project success by collaborating through discussions and sharing files to provide context. Use the free client portal to give clients access to your project and get their input, boosting transparency and increasing customer satisfaction.
- Time management: monitor time spent on tasks and entire projects, use the timer to track billable hours, and define task and project approval processes to improve billing efficiency. You can use timesheet data to create more accurate project estimates.
- Free Support
- Free clients & virtual users
- Free trial
- User interface needs improvement
- No to-do lists
Excellent Monday.com Alternative for Detailed Project Planning
nTask helps project managers create detailed project plans and comes with features that enable you to work with clients from other countries.
You can collaborate while maintaining focus and effortlessly manage your team’s performance and project risks.
- Work management: plan and manage everything from the project timelines to payment rates and currency. Define milestones, track your budget, chat privately or with the whole team, and use Reply Later to avoid distractions.
- Task management: use sub-tasks and to-do lists to manage work and set timelines to guide task completion dates. You can set task dependencies, assign multiple owners, upload files to the task board, and monitor progress using Gantt charts.
- Meetings: set the agenda for your meetings, integrate popular audio/video meeting apps, invite internal and external stakeholders, and sync with different calendars. You can share action items to get the team focused on what’s important.
- Team management: build the right team for every project, define everyone’s roles, set data access permissions, and allocate work based on skill and availability. You can also manage your team’s financials.
- Risk management: identify project risks and use custom matrices to assess risk. Create risk mitigation plans and assign owners, create custom fields in the risk module and pull reports to track risk mitigation.
- Project risk management
- Bulk actions and budget tracking on the enterprise plan
- Free trial
- Limited reports
- Limited mobile functionality
Best Project Planning and Team Collaboration Software Alternative to Monday.com
ProofHub has a well-rounded collaboration feature that allows you to take notes and get client feedback on work schedules and milestones.
You can auto-create tasks using data from work request forms and use audit logs to monitor data access and user activity.
- Task management: create task workflows using Kanban boards and visualize all your work using the Table view. You can set task priorities, start and due dates, automate recurring tasks, and track task progress.
- Work management: define project goals and create milestones to manage the work. Use data from request forms to create tasks, review files, get client feedback, and manage work schedules using the Gantt chart.
- Client management: give clients direct access to your projects to promote trust and feedback. Discuss project requirements and task schedules, review files together, provide them with real-time updates, and see your client retention rates increase.
- Collaboration: choose whether to hold discussions or one-on-one chats, use emojis, tag teammates, and share files with project stakeholders. You can take notes, annotate files, review and approve work, and get real-time in-app notifications.
- Admin center: organize your team into groups and assign them roles to manage data access effectively. You can monitor user activities through logs, customize ProofHub with your branding and secure your account through IP restrictions.
- Flat pricing
- Unlimited users
- Free trial
- Limited customization
- Limited mobile app
Highly-rated Monday.com Alternative for Creative Teams Managing Multiple Projects
Workzone is comparable to Monday.com in that both offer significant customization options. Workzone however stands out among Monday.com alternatives for creating custom workflows and securing project data through access rights.
The reporting feature is also quite dynamic. Not only can you export reports, but you can also use them to sync with other apps.
- Work management: collect information for your projects and tasks using custom request forms and trigger an automated workflow. Use customizable boards to track work and save your projects into templates for increased efficiency.
- Task management: create project tasks and organize them into task lists for easy tracking. Define task dependencies, priority, and timelines, and show upcoming tasks while getting full visibility into your team members’ workload.
- Collaboration: comment on tasks and documents shared, tag teammates, and subscribe to group discussions. Upload files, set access rights for different stakeholders, and markup images and files to provide feedback during the review process.
- Reports: see real-time project changes and monitor work progress by team or client. You can log time spent on tasks for billing purposes and use the data to improve project estimates. You can export the reports or use them to sync with other tools.
- Proofing: manage files as they go through multiple revisions to ensure everyone uses the latest version. Send approval requests to the right people, track responses, monitor pending approvals, and send reminders when approvals are overdue.
- Customized setup
- Unlimited personalized training
- Excellent support
- User interface needs improvement
- Limited reporting
Best Project Management Software for Portfolio Management
Nifty tops the list of Monday.com alternatives for managing portfolios. It helps you define your business goals and track them against the project performance.
Nifty also makes it easy to create a task from a message and for team members to take charge of their work time.
- Work management: use tasks, sub-tasks, and task lists to manage work. Set due dates and define recurrence to automate task creation. You can bundle tasks together to create milestones and use filters to analyze task progress.
- Docs & Files: upload files or create new ones and sync with Dropbox and Google Drive. Collaborate on document editing, share feedback through comments, and search for files by file name or user.
- Time tracking: empower individuals to track their time while you monitor time across entire projects. You can use timesheet data for billing, export or download it, and improve the accuracy of future project estimates.
- Portfolios: organize your projects into portfolios and sort them by client, project owner, and more. You can manage all project portfolio data from a central point and define the privacy settings of projects.
- Discussions: collaborate on projects by holding discussions and use direct messages for one-on-one communication. You can convert a message into a task, add files to messages, and engage the whole team in decision-making.
- Frequent product updates
- Document management integrations
- Custom roles and permissions on the business plan
- Takes some time to learn
- Limited learning resources
Best Monday.com Alternative for Simplified Project Management
Hive can save you a lot of time when organizing meetings and trying to execute the agreed actions. You can edit documents as a team and compare planned vs. actual outcomes.
With the ability to create custom data-capture fields for risk management, you can greatly improve your chances of delivering the project on time.
- Work management: create an unlimited number of projects and tasks with a personalized to do list. Plan and track your projects using Kanban boards and Gantt charts and use forms to collect project requirements.
- Time management: monitor time spent on work, identify time-sensitive tasks and assign more staff to them for faster completion, compare planned vs. actual time, and generate reports to help in billing and decision making.
- Collaboration: use in-built communication tools to discuss pending work and agree on task priorities, chat in real-time, sync messages with Slack, add email threads to the conversation, and use comments and annotations for proofing.
- Notes: make meetings more productive by using notes to communicate the agenda. Notes can be collaboratively edited and attached to meetings for post-meeting communications, such as assigning follow-up actions.
- Risk management: define project risks and assign them to the appropriate team members. You can add RAG statuses, use custom fields to add data to action cards and save your risk management workflow as a template.
- Easy to set up
- Free advanced add ons on enterprise plan
- Free trial
- Not the most intuitive interface
- Limited mobile app
Best Work Management Software for Agencies and Consultancies
Scoro is a project management software that mostly focuses on the professional service industry, although other business types can use it too.
Strong in client management features, Scoro allows project managers to analyze data, measure performance, and work towards profitability.
- Work management: plan projects and tasks, use templates to launch projects faster, set up alerts to keep your team on track, and automate repetitive work. Monitor task progress on the Gantt chart and see how missed deadlines impact project timelines.
- Time management: log worked hours using the in-built timer, determine billable and non-billable hours, and compare estimated vs. actual time taken to complete work. You can also use timesheet data to improve task distribution.
- Profitability: create revenue forecasts and monitor project costs and payments to determine profitability. You can manage the finances of your entire company using Scoro and receive payments in multiple currencies.
- Client management: leverage client data to understand their needs and strategize on how to close the deal. You can send quotes from within Scoro, define sales targets and track them on the customizable dashboards.
- Reports: use real-time data to keep track of project risks, KPIs, work progress, and team performance. You can customize reports and choose what data to display, bookmark reports and share them with relevant stakeholders.
- Powerful invoicing features
- Profitability tracking
- Free trial
- Integrations are sometimes buggy
Best Monday.com Alternative for Software Development Teams
Jira is a versatile tool that’s mostly used in the IT industry, although the platform can be used for any project employing the agile methodology.
Also, Jira is one of the best Monday.com alternatives with advanced features for complex projects and its Roadmaps feature empowers teams to make detailed project plans.
- Roadmaps: plan your work with unlimited hierarchy levels and track progress across multiple teams. You can also create different versions of your roadmaps to reflect the best and worst-case scenarios.
- DevOps: integrate Jira with developer tools like GitHub and others for bug tracking and ensuring you develop quality software. Add context to your code by attaching files, collaborating using comments, and scanning your code for vulnerabilities using Bitbucket.
- Confluence: keep all your teams engaged and create a culture of sharing knowledge. You can hold discussions, give and receive feedback, get started using a template, and contribute through desktop and mobile apps.
- Reports: analyze data and get insight into the development process to improve your sprints. Compare created vs. resolved issues and view velocity charts and user workload reports to make better plans for future sprints.
- Automations: increase efficiency by creating rules to automate activities such as auto-assigning issues and posting messages on Slack. You can also test the in-built automation templates on Jira's sandbox environment.
- Ticket tracking
- Advanced features for report generation
- Free trial
- Setup takes time
- Can be overwhelming for new users
Best Project Management Tool for Creating Gantt Charts
TeamGantt recognizes that project management is mostly about planning and monitoring work progress.
As one of the top Monday.com alternatives for creating tasks on a Gantt chart and monitoring them, TeamGantt ensures that everything goes according to plan.
The tool is simple and uses a drag-and-drop interface to create Gantt charts for all your unique project needs.
- Project management: enjoy the convenience of viewing all your projects on one screen and easily recognize the potential for scope creep. Monitor your project budget and deadline and optimize your processes to keep delivery on track.
- Work management: define task dependencies and order tasks by priority. Use the drag-and-drop feature to re-order tasks, see task schedules on the calendar view and monitor task timelines to avoid falling behind.
- Resource management: plan and book resources for projects before they start and balance the workload to avoid overworking anyone. You can split time between teams, estimate time, and view workload by hours or tasks.
- Collaboration: work with both colleagues and clients for maximum teamwork and transparency. Engage in chat, attach files to projects and tasks and use sticky notes to share project updates.
- Reports: see where tasks and projects stand, monitor time spent completing work and compare planned vs. actual timelines to improve future projections. You can share project reports and even embed them on your website.
- User friendly interface
- Unlimited tasks and projects on any paid plan
- Free trial
- Limited third party integrations
- Limited support options
Best Project Management Software for Building Custom Apps for Your Projects
Podio is good at creating custom workflows for projects that require unique data flows and processes. The platform helps project managers to easily collect data, use it in projects and report on progress.
Podio is the right Monday.com alternative for creating custom apps to meet unique project requirements. It also provides the necessary tools for team collaboration.
- Workspaces: bring your team together, including clients and freelancers, and control membership through invitation or make it open. You can set up custom processes, track work using different views and work on mobile.
- Activity streams: discuss work, boost efficiency and improve team spirit through peer recognition. You can publish posts and comments, chat using text and images, share links, make voice and video calls, and search through chat history.
- Work management: set up one-time or recurring tasks with reminders to send notifications when tasks are due. You can attach files, add comments and create workflows that auto-create and assign tasks.
- File sharing: upload files of up to 100MB and manage them by tracking revisions and movement. You can also sync your files with popular file sharing apps and audit file access history.
- Podio apps: create custom apps to handle projects using the drag-and-drop interface. Through Podio apps, you can create relationships between data, preview YouTube content, display location using Google Maps, and share project data with external stakeholders.
- Customizable workspaces
- Highly adaptive
- Free for up to five users
- User interface needs improvement
- Support is not always available
Best Project Management Tool for Teams Using Microsoft 365 Suite of Tools
Microsoft Project is popular among project management teams using Microsoft’s suite of online tools. Since it’s easy to use, anyone can jump in and start reaping the benefits in no time.
Being one of the best Monday.com alternatives for Microsoft customers, Microsoft Project lets you set project resources aside, evaluate project profitability and use advanced analytics for decision-making.
- Resource management: ensure your projects are properly staffed by locking in resources using the resource engagements. Microsoft Project can also create resource forecasts and analyze utilization using capacity heat maps.
- Reports: access dynamic reports that show your work progress, create interactive dashboards using Microsoft Power BI and leverage the native OData to run advanced analytics. All reports can be shared with project stakeholders.
- Portfolios: go beyond individual projects and manage your full portfolio to ensure business success. Check whether project proposals align with strategic business goals and use roadmaps to gain visibility into your programs.
- Project management: collect and evaluate project proposals, identify risks and mitigate them, define the critical path, and manage your project tasks. You can also use different views to monitor task progress.
- Collaboration: your team members can work from anywhere with full access to Microsoft Project tasks and communication channels. Share ideas, collaborate on tasks, engage using chat, and provide updates to keep everyone on the same page.
- Integrates with Microsoft 365 office suite
- Detailed project planning
- Dependable technical support
- Requires training
Popular Monday.com Alternative for Simple and Straightforward Project Management
Basecamp centralizes all your project data and processes and makes monitoring and reporting on work progress easy.
One of the interesting features of Basecamp is Hill charts. If you've ever wondered whether there can be an alternative to Gantt charts, then check out Basecamp.
- Hill charts: this is a unique way of tracking work progress instead of using Gantt charts. You get to visualize the planning phases of tasks on the upward side of a hill and the execution phases on the downward side.
- Collaboration: chat one-on-one with a teammate or in the group chat using emojis and @mentions. You can add images, sounds, and code samples to your messages and celebrate the comments you like.
- Clients: extend collaboration to your clients and increase efficiency and trust. You can communicate using messages, share to-do lists, get their input in Basecamp, and control project access by deciding what’s private and public.
- Reports: see where everything stands using reports that show you pending and overdue tasks and the amount of work done per day. You can filter reports and analyze performance to see how to optimize your processes.
- Search: with everything in one place, you can search through your Basecamp data to locate team members and uploaded files. You can also use keywords to search through your whole chat history.
- Easy to use
- Highly-responsive support team
- Free trial
- No Gantt charts
- No task prioritization
Best Project Management Tool for Beginners and Small Teams
Trello has a beautiful interface; in fact, many people love this kanban project management tool for its visual elements.
Being one of the best Monday.com alternatives for beginners, Trello helps you plan for anything from meeting agendas to big projects. You can also use Power-Ups to get the extra functionality you need to deliver your project successfully.
- Work management: track projects and manage tasks using boards, checklists, and cards. You can set due dates, set and monitor task statuses, define priorities, and filter the data using labels.
- Butler: get Butler to handle all your recurring tasks and automatically update task statuses, send notifications about approaching deadlines and assign work. Butler can also sync your project data with other tools.
- Power-Ups: as an alternative to third party integrations, Power-Ups enable you to extend Trello’s functionality by creating custom apps for your team. These apps can cover everything from time tracking to project reporting.
- Views: use Trello views to see your work progress from different angles and take action to prevent project delays. Use the timeline view to determine if work is being completed according to schedule and get geolocation data using the Map view.
- Meetings: minimize meetings and improve the necessary ones by creating agendas and sharing notes on the Trello boards. Define follow-up tasks after every meeting and assign owners for increased accountability.
- Very user-friendly
- Clear task organization
- Lots of integrations
- Too simple for large projects
- Limited free plan
Monday.com is worth the price if you’re looking for a highly-customizable project management tool. Unfortunately, since Monday’s plans are priced based on a fixed number of users, you can easily end up paying for seats you’re not using.
ClickUp is the best option when it comes to replacing Monday.com. The set of features available on ClickUp’s basic plan provides a better deal than Monday.com, especially in terms of unlimited storage and the ability to manage guest access through permissions.
The best free alternative to Monday.com is Asana. Unlike Monday.com, Asana’s free plan has all the essential features you’ll need including a team of up to 15 members, unlimited file storage and unlimited projects and tasks.
The biggest disadvantages of using Monday.com are limited task dependency features and integrations. Also, the mobile app's user experience isn't the best, and the company should provide more training videos.
Monday.com is an online platform that you can use for managing projects, tasks, and customer data. Its design allows users to customize their workflows and collaborate easily.
Starting With a Free Monday.com Alternative
Choosing a free Monday.com alternative means either going with a free version or the free trial of a paid plan to test the functionality of the app.
The best free Monday.com alternative is Asana. Asana’s free plan allows you to work with a team of up to 15 members, set up unlimited projects and tasks, integrate with 100+ apps, and upload as many documents as you need.
Another viable option in the list of Monday alternatives is ClickUp. ClickUp’s free plan gives you unlimited free plan members, unlimited tasks, native time tracking, and 24/7 support. The only downside is the storage capped at 100MB.
If you go with ClickUp’s free trial of their basic plan, which is cheaper than Monday.com, you get unlimited storage and integrations, Goals and portfolios, and the ability to set guest permissions.
Here are the top Monday alternatives you can check out if you need to test more than the basic features:
For more help in choosing one of the best alternatives to Monday.com for managing projects, read the below articles:
- ClickUp vs. Monday.com Comparison
- ClickUp vs. Asana Comparison
- Wrike vs. Asana Comparison
- Trello vs. Asana Comparison
- Best PM Tools for Small Businesses
- Best Project Management Apps for Nonprofits