12 Best Blogging Platforms and Blog Sites for 2022
Are you reading countless blogs trying to find the best blogging platforms? We’ve got a quick and straight-to-the-point answer with our top 5 picks.
Although 77% of internet users read blogs regularly, becoming a successful blogger takes more than setting up a free blog.
Apart from the obvious competition, there’s the effort and time that goes into designing your own blog and creating and promoting your content. And believe it or not, your blogging platform can make things easier or more difficult for you.
The best blogging platforms will give you more than the basic blogging tools. They’ll help you create your own website, give you free blog templates, allow you to add your own custom domain name, and customize everything in just a few clicks, while avoiding a steep learning curve.
With the most critical features being common across free and premium blogging platforms, differentiating them usually comes down to personal preferences, advanced features, and cost.
Personal preferences are strongly connected to the user experience and the functionality an individual blogger is looking for. If you know exactly what you need, then choosing a premium or one of the best free blogging platforms won’t be difficult.
Best Blogging Platforms and Blog Sites for 2022
Whether you’re researching the best blogging platforms in order to start a blog or are looking for an alternative to your current blogging site, this article has the answer. It will save you lots of research time and help you know which blogging platform is best.
In this review, we cover the following blogging platforms:
Best Free Blogging Platform for Flexibility and Customization
For the ultimate blogging experience, I would choose WordPress.org because it offers everything a blogger might want. From the numerous design options to the ability to extend your self hosted WordPress blog through plugins, WordPress.org is the best free blogging platform that can handle anything website-related.Try WordPress
WordPress.org is one of the best free blogging platforms. You can use it to create simple blogs, personal blogs or a professional blog.
Being open-source, WordPress.org is free to use and modify and offers simple ways of importing blogs into the platform.
You can also manage groups of users by assigning them roles with varying permissions.
- Blog design: free and premium themes give you full control over the design of your WordPress blog. More than customizing themes, you can add widgets to get extra features that enhance the layout of your free blog, use your own domain name, and install plugins to extend its functionality.
- Blog management: this free blogging platform enables you to backup and restore your self hosted WordPress blog manually or using plugins, set up automatic updates for your themes and plugins, harden your site for extra security, enforce two-factor authentication, and manage user privacy using built-in tools.
- BuddyPress: WordPress.org stands out from other blogging platforms in that it helps you build an online community, customize member profiles, create groups, and record site-wide activities. Members can create friends lists, send private messages, change notification settings, and invite friends to their groups.
- Custom post types: your WordPress site will benefit from several built-in post types that cover common content needs. To add to that, you also have the option of creating custom post types for content such as portfolios, maps, testimonials, glossaries, etc.
- Search engine optimization: WordPress comes with SEO built-in. However, since customizing your blog can interfere with the original optimization, you can improve SEO by editing tags, creating permalinks, validating your own site, and making any other SEO-related changes you may want.
- Available in 70+ languages
- Thousands of themes and plugins are available
- Large, vibrant, and supportive community
- No native drag-and-drop website builder
- Customization requires paying a web developer
Best Blogging Platform for Fast AI-driven Designs
Wix has beautifully-designed templates and comes with an AI system that can design your blog once you tell it what you need. And if you plan to build custom apps for your site, then you’ll love Velo for its visual building capabilities and the options to connect your app to third-party tools.Try Wix
Wix has a sleek interface that makes designing your blog enjoyable. It also has a massive library of templates designed for every business need.
Although Wix has a powerful ecommerce toolset, the ability to sell digital downloads makes it stand out as a blogging platform that any creative can work with.
- Blog design: use the drag-and-drop editor to design your own blog or choose one of the 500+ design templates and add a custom domain name. For help with the design, just answer a few questions, and Wix ADI will take care of the rest.
- SEO: Wix is a blog site that’s built for SEO, giving you a headstart in promoting your blog. You also get to customize tags, build custom SEO profiles for specific pages, import/export URLs, make bulk redirects, and optimize for local search using the Google Business Profile integration.
- Multimedia: build a multimedia blog and attract an audience that listens to or buys your music online. You can also create blogging sites made up of image galleries, secure the images using passwords and watermarks, upload videos, and monetize subscriptions.
- Ecommerce: set up an online shop using Wix and manage everything on mobile. Add options for offline payment, get commission-free payments through PayPal and credit cards, track customer orders, give discounts, and define custom tax and shipping rules.
- Velo: extend the functionality of your blog by creating web apps using a visual builder and running them on the Wix Cloud. You can connect your app to other online tools through third-party APIs and track usage metrics.
- Excellent customer support
- AI-assisted design
- Free SSL certificate
- Limited analytics
- No self hosted version
Wix’s ‘Unlimited’ and ‘VIP’ plans give you unlimited bandwidth and free 1-year custom domain and access to the Site Booster app.
Most Suitable Blogging Platform for Ecommerce Businesses
Squarespace works very well for ecommerce-related blogging sites. The templates are professional, giving you the confidence to set up and run your online shop. The platform also offers helpful insights into ecommerce dynamics like abandoned carts and provides email marketing tools to enable you to optimize your growth strategy.Try Squarespace
Squarespace is popular for its ecommerce websites and gives you professionally-designed templates which you can customize accordingly.
To help you sell, Squarespace tracks relevant data to provide insights for growth.
You can also run email campaigns to nurture leads captured through online forms.
- Tock: build a restaurant or event business powered by this blog feature from Squarespace. Tock gives you prepaid reservations, enables you to manage takeouts, receive tableside payments, and design unique offers for your customers. You can also run campaigns and track conversions.
- Analytics: dig deep into your blog traffic data and uncover insights to power your growth strategy. You can track site visits by country, check abandoned carts, analyze engagement, monitor form conversions, and identify the keywords which bring you traffic. You can also integrate Google Analytics into your blog site.
- Blog design: build your blog using customizable templates made by pro designers. You can choose from Google and Adobe fonts, add custom CSS code, edit global styles for site-wide changes or style-specific sections, access free images from Unsplash, get a free domain name, and more.
- Ecommerce: move from a basic blog and build a business with an inventory of thousands of physical or digital products and manage them using tags and categories. You can also give discounts on specific products or orders over a set amount, show related products, and set up an express checkout option.
- Marketing: get your blog visitors to sign up for newsletters and track page views and traffic sources. You can design your emails using 30+ customizable templates, use filters to segment your audience, and get real-time campaign analytics to inform your email strategy.
- Little to no learning curve
- Great for ecommerce
- Includes marketing features
- Limited customization
- No free version
Squarespace empowers you for business with unlimited bandwidth and 24/7 customer support across all its paid plans.
Best Free Blogging Platform for Businesses With Modest Needs
It’s impossible to ignore the convenience Weebly provides by enabling users to create websites through their mobile app. The platform is designed to ensure all websites are SEO-optimized and ready to cater to the ever-increasing interest in ecommerce. If you want a simple but effective platform for building an online presence, then Weebly is a good choice.Try Weebly
Weebly is simple yet powerful enough to run not only blog sites but also full-featured online stores.
Weebly’s sites are optimized for SEO, although you still get the option to tweak some settings.
You can preview your marketing emails to be sure that you’re sending the right message and that it looks just as you want it to.
- Blog design: use the drag-and-drop editor to design free blogs using web elements such as text, videos, and maps. You can also choose templates and customize them using the theme editor or HTML and CSS, edit images, build online forms for collecting data, and choose your own domain name.
- Ecommerce: set up and run your store using the integrated shopping cart. You can add hundreds of products, track your inventory, let customers search products using filters, add slideshows to your store, and get paid through PayPal and Stripe.
- SEO: all Weebly blog sites are designed for SEO and have meta descriptions, sitemaps, and much more. You can add alt tags, customize page titles and permalinks and set up tracking. You can also change advanced settings to create a custom SEO setup for your blog.
- Blog management: take control of the structure of your own blog and customize navigation for an improved user experience. You can integrate Facebook and Disqus comment systems and schedule posts for publishing on your blog and sharing on social sites.
- Email marketing: build your audience and grow your business using email marketing. You can import contacts from popular email services, choose a template, build your emails using a drag-and-drop editor, segment your lists, preview your emails, and analyze statistics.
- Easy to use
- Built-in SEO tools
- You can design your blog through the mobile app
- Limited design features
- Limited free blog
Weebly’s ‘Business’ plan is your ultimate choice if you want unlimited storage, advanced analytics and phone support.
Best Blogging Platform for Beginners Who Want to Get Started Quickly
The Bluehost builder provides an easy path to quickly design your blog site as you please. Once you answer a few questions about your website needs, the builder uses AI to determine how best to design your blog. You can then customize that design to fit your style and even edit the CSS code.Try Bluehost
Bluehost Builder provides one of the fastest way to set up your blog and start publishing content or selling your products online.
The builder starts you off with a design generated by the system and then allows you to switch back and forth between it and the WordPress editor as needed for your customization needs.
- Blog design: choose from hundreds of themes and customize the design to fit your branding ideas. You can change colors, customize different elements and add plugins to your site to get extra functionality.
- Web Hosting: start with a free domain name and get unlimited email accounts and subdomains, site analytics, spam protection, a free ssl certificate, and a free worldwide CDN. Uptime is guaranteed through power backups, 24/7 network monitoring, and multiple 10 Gigabit ethernet connections.
- Blog promotion: use the built-in SEO tools to analyze your blog’s performance and identify what needs improvement. Your blog will be automatically submitted to Google, Bing, and Yahoo, and you’ll get a report that analyzes your blog’s ranking, technical SEO, and mobile-friendliness.
- Ecommerce: you can set up an online shop with Bluehost and sell physical and digital products. You’ll get email marketing tools, easy installation of payment processors, website traffic analytics, tax management, discount codes, and more.
- WordPress integration: unlike other blogging platforms, Bluehost integrates with WordPress so well that it’s recommended for WordPress hosting. When building your own blog sites, you can start using the Bluehost builder, switch to the WordPress editor for specific functionality, and go back to the builder.
- Free domain name
- 24/7 customer support
- Unlimited free stock photos
- Limited design features
- Plans have high renewal rates
As if Bluehost builder’s huge introductory discounts are not enough, you also get unlimited storage for image uploads and free email marketing.
Best Website Builder and Blogging Platform for Collaborative Teams
Webflow takes a different approach from other blogging platforms and allows you to work with a team to build your hobby blog or an ecommerce site.
Although it’s not the only platform that does this, Webflow has an impressive level of collaboration and activity tracking.
Webflow also gives you granular control over your blog’s SEO.
- Web Hosting: no need for technical knowledge to set up your site. Fast page loads courtesy of AWS and Fastly are made possible due to 100+ data centers and servers distributed globally. You also get automated backups, a customized site search engine, your own domain name, and managed maintenance.
- Website builder: design your blog using raw HTML or pre-built elements and preview the display for different devices. Position every element exactly where you want it, choose from different fonts, and collaborate on the design with full tracking of who did what.
- Website management: get automatic versioning of your site, password-protect single pages or your whole site, create custom ‘404’ pages with appropriate redirects, and customize your favicon and web clip. If building different sites, you can organize them into folders and export the code to a different host.
- Ecommerce: design your online shop for physical products or digital goods and services with custom product fields. Create a responsive layout for your ecommerce site with custom designs, set up email marketing, add download links, track orders, and get paid through PayPal, Stripe, Apple Pay, and Google Pay.
- SEO: set up your site to rank on SERPs using in-built SEO tools. Decide what should be indexed, easily create image alt tags, edit Open Graph tags, create the schema markup, and automatically generate meta descriptions.
- Fast page loads
- User-friendly interface
- Documentation and video tutorials
- Limited SEO tools
For maximum monetization, buy Webflow’s ‘Business’ plan, and you’ll be able to work with up to 10 guest editors and get web hosting performance guaranteed by a global CDN.
Best Website Builder and Blogging Platform for Building Sales Funnels
Simvoly is built for online businesses with a focus on driving sales.
As a funnel builder, Simvoly is a reliable solution for online-first businesses. SEO basics are built-in, and the simplified blogging option provides an easy way to start drawing traffic to your site.
- Website design: design your site by editing pre-built page designs or drag-and-drop HTML elements and A/B test different elements or whole pages. The design process is simple, allows for collaboration, the editor is responsive, and you can set up unlimited popups.
- Funnel builder: design funnels with custom checkouts and increase conversions. Improve your customers’ UX with 1-click upsells, generate leads using quizzes and surveys, and analyze page traffic and other metrics to improve page optimization.
- Memberships: monetize your gated content through memberships and subscriptions and give your customers the option to manage their subscriptions, order history, and profiles. You can sell subscriptions, e-courses, and e-books and smoothly handle thousands of visitors.
- Ecommerce: sell both physical and digital products online. Design your storefront for high engagement, set up bump offers for increased order value, create recurring payments and discount codes, and accept payment from 10+ payment processors.
- CRM: build a growing online business by generating and engaging leads using the free CRM. Manage your form submissions and track leads down the funnel, accept appointments, segment your leads, auto-assign leads based on lead source, and automate your email marketing campaigns.
- Free CRM
- Free funnel academy
- Up to 60% discount for white label partners
- Limited blogging features
Simvoly gives you a decent set of features even on its cheapest plan. But for a truly robust online business, the ‘Business' and ‘Growth' plans offer unlimited pages, quizzes, surveys, and 1-click upsells.
Best Free Blogging Platform for Minimalist Bloggers
Medium is one of the best free blogging platforms that simply gives you a blogging space to publish your content.
Despite its simplicity, Medium provides helpful reports to enable you to track your blogging performance.
With room for minimal design tweaks and a community of readers, you have the perfect environment to share your ideas, stories, innovations, and business solutions.
- Analytics: learn more about your audience through stats on traffic, views, reads, and fans. You can track reader engagement, analyze traffic sources—including the option to search other platforms for posts linking to your story—and also see how much your stories have earned over time.
- Email subscriptions: you can email old and just-published stories to your readers and build relationships by allowing replies. You can upload an existing email subscribers list in CSV or TXT format, export them for use elsewhere, and track subscriptions to monitor your audience growth.
- Newsletters: as one of the best free blogging platforms for newsletter marketing, you can create a publication and send newsletters to promote your product or service-based content. You’ll be able to manage draft, scheduled, and sent emails, monitor metrics such as open rates and click-through rates, preview emails, and track subscribers.
- Monetization: there are two ways to earn on Medium’s Partner Program. You can earn a portion of your readers’ subscription fee depending on how much time they spend on your stories or 50% of the subscription fee for active membership referrals.
- Customization: you can customize your Medium blogging sites by changing your profile image, background, accent colors, and fonts. You can also customize your header by adding a background image, changing the size and alignment of your name and bio, adding a logo, and adding a custom domain name.
- Free blogging service
- Provides a ready audience
- Focused on blogging
- Minimum of 100 followers needed for monetization
- Profile design is only available on desktop
Medium is completely free for bloggers. For readers, a paid membership is available at $5 per month and $50 per year.
Google-owned Service That’s One of the Best Free Blogging Platforms for Simplicity
Blogger is a simple blogging platform that focuses on helping you start your blogging journey. Although it’s not the most popular choice, Blogger offers a stable blogging platform, especially for those starting on a tight budget.
When monetizing your blog, being a Google platform, Blogger will guide you through setting up a Google AdSense account.
- Blog design: you can design your blog from scratch or choose a template from the library and modify it. You can customize the layout by adding gadgets, edit the HTML and CSS code, add different media types, and integrate with a custom domain.
- Monetization: the default monetization option is running ads. You can set up a Google AdSense account and run ads, deciding whether they’ll appear on the sides or between posts. You can also run your own ads or those from other services, or implement other monetization options such as affiliate marketing and sponsored posts.
- SEO: you can decide whether your blog will be visible to search engines or not, add titles and alt text to images, hide specific pages and posts from search engines, and define custom redirects for posts and pages.
- Blog management: you can backup your blog, save your customized theme, and import posts and comments into your blog. You can also search your posts and pages using search operators, add team members to your blog and allocate them permissions.
- Analytics: Blogger is one of the best free blogging platforms for analytics. You can set up an analytics account and start tracking what your audience reads, where they visit from, etc. You can also import data from other systems into Analytics to unlock new insights and integrate directly with services such as Salesforce Marketing Cloud and Search Console.
- Simple set up
- Easy access to Google analytics
- Limited design options
- Limited SEO features
Blogger is completely free. The only costs you may incur are those associated with the external services you might want to include in your blogger blog.
A Privacy-first Blogging Platform for Building a Publishing Business
Ghost.org is unique among the best blogging platforms because it’s privacy-focused.
Although Ghost’s self-hosted version is among the best free blogging platforms, its managed service gives you the features you need to run a publishing business confidently.
Ghost has a worldwide CDN, is optimized for performance, gets weekly upgrades, and comes with threat management as standard.
- Blog design: Ghost stands out among the best free blogging platforms as a blog site that you can customize without the fear of compromising your blog’s performance. You can also change your site structure using dynamic routing and visit the experts’ directory to find a qualified designer or developer.
- Blog management: Get help managing your site by inviting team members and allocating them different roles and permissions. You can also choose a timezone that fits your audience, publish in multiple languages, integrate with 5,000+ apps through Zapier, and run your own referral program.
- Blog publishing: Ghost enables you to set up multi-author bylines, create RSS feeds for podcast players, and schedule posts and pages. You can also define custom layouts for featured posts and see a preview of how your post will look on mobile, social, search, email, and web.
- SEO: Ghost automatically generates canonical tags and metadata for every page, informs external services about site updates, and comes with the Google AMP built-in. You can customize URLs and work on technical SEO without relying on plugins.
- Subscriptions: monetize your blog through recurring subscriptions and manage memberships using labels and notes. You can view member stats, import/export members, send email newsletters, and integrate with Stripe for payments in 135 different currencies.
- Fast load times
- Easy to set up
- Not every web host supports Ghost natively
When you buy the ‘Team’ plan, you get unlimited premium tiers and priority support. You can also try Ghost for free for 14 days.
A Simple Micro-blogging Platform With Social Networking Functionality
Tumblr is a micro-blogging site that works like a social media platform. The content on Tumblr is mostly short-form, though you can post different types of content.
Tumblr says that over 48% of its users are Gen Z. If this is your target audience, then Tumblr is one of the best blogging platforms for you to consider.
- Blog management: you can set up several blogs under the same account, with the first one being the primary blog. Secondary blogs can be password-protected and turned into group blogs. You can also export your blog’s content and download it as a ZIP file.
- Publishing: you can include different types of content in a single post and edit the text using popular formatting features. You can drag-and-drop content blocks to re-arrange them, add audio from Spotify or Soundcloud, and create a chat post.
- SEO: although lacking in SEO capabilities compared to traditional blogging platforms, Tumblr’s links are dofollow. You also get the option to customize title tags, write alt text and descriptions of images, customize the URL of every post, and use up to 30 tags.
- Mass post editor
- Keyboard shortcuts available
- Limited blogging features
- Limited SEO features
Tumblr is free to set up and use. You can sign up on the platform, build an audience and monetize your content relatively easily.
One of the Best Free Blogging Platforms for Bloggers With Coding Experience
Joomla is one of the best blogging platforms due to its active community and extensive documentation. With Joomla, you can use multiple templates to design your blog and different editors to create your content.
Joomla provides access to the backend of the Content Management System (CMS), allowing you to make custom changes and run admin functions.
- SEO: SEO capabilities are built-in to help you easily define settings that will rank your site on SERPs. You can work on everything from keywords and SEF URLs to metadata and sitemaps. You can also customize the SEO settings of your menu items.
- Joomla framework: this lightweight code base provides a platform for creating standalone apps which you can integrate into Joomla as extensions. Since it’s separated from the CMS, there’s less overhead when building RESTful web apps and command-line tools.
- Publishing: work on multimedia content using different editors for maximum flexibility. You can paste content from popular word processors, edit your content from the frontend, create categories with unlimited nesting, schedule articles, and access previous versions of your articles.
- Blog management: set up the backend of your blog for security, functionality, and monetization. Easily update Joomla and your extensions, set up paywalls, add tags, create custom fields for users, contacts, and articles, and implement caching for your blog.
- Free and open source
- Stable and secure
- Available in 70+ languages
- Steep learning curve
- Limited customization
Joomla is free to download and use as a self hosted solution or with the free hosting provider available through the project.
How to Choose the Best Blogging Platform?
To choose the best blogging platform, you should compare the different options based on their features.
Here are five critical factors to consider when choosing the best blogging site:
1. Ease of Use
The first thing you should consider when choosing one of the best free blogging platforms is the ease of use.
Whatever platform you choose, you shouldn’t have to search for settings and options. The interface should be intuitive enough to make the platform as easy to use as possible.
Also, adding users and managing them using roles and permissions should be effortless.
2. Blog Design Options
Your blog will need a personal touch that reflects your branding. Since most blogging platforms provide different levels of customization, you won’t struggle making a decision on this.
If you want a blog that is heavily customized, then choose WordPress.org because it tops the list of the best free blogging platforms in terms of design flexibility.
Most blogging sites have a drag-and-drop website builder to make designing your site easy and fun. You might also want to look at how customizable the available templates are.
And if you want expert help in designing your blog, consider the platform’s popularity. The more popular a platform is, the more designers and developers you’ll have access to.
3. Blogging Features
Blogging platforms differ mostly based on the features they provide. To ensure you have the best experience in your blogging journey, find out how every platform deals with the following:
- Blog publishing: how easy is it to create and post different types of content?
- SEO: how much tweaking of SEO settings can you do?
- Performance: how fast are the websites built and hosted on the platforms?
- Analytics: how much data can you collect to measure your KPIs?
- Integrations: what third-party apps can you add to your blog?
Whether you’ve already decided that you want to make money blogging or that’s something you’ll think about later, having that option is key.
The best free blogging platforms support many different ways of monetizing your blog. These include running your own ads, selling digital products and affiliate marketing. Unfortunately, not all income streams are properly supported on all platforms.
When considering monetization, check whether the free blogging platforms and their paid versions have native support for payment processors like PayPal and Stripe.
Remember to find out whether they charge you for connecting to those payment systems and how much the commission fees are.
5. Customer Support
Most people don’t think much about customer support until when they need it. To avoid frustrations when things don’t work as expected, find out early enough what your support options are.
The best free blogging platforms have active community forums where you can search for answers and ask questions. Among the free options you have, WordPress.org and Joomla have the most active communities.
If you choose a platform that hosts your blog, try and buy a plan that at least provides chat support. If you can get phone support, that would be better. Wix, for instance, is well known among the best blogging platforms for its outstanding customer support.
Remember to check user reviews online to find out how responsive the support teams are.
Blogging Platforms FAQ
A blogging platform can either be a website providing blogging features or software used to manage a blog, more commonly known as a Content Management System (CMS).
The best blogging platforms allow bloggers to create and publish content online while helping them grow their audience and revenue.
The best blogging platform for beginners is Bluehost Builder. The platform is easy to use and has very low starting prices.
If you intend to do image-heavy blogging or set up an ecommerce site, then Squarespace is the best blogging platform for you.
WordPress.org is the best free blog site for many reasons. Among the best free blogging platforms in the market, WordPress is very flexible and powerful, allowing you to extend its usability as you please.
Also, you have unlimited freedom to customize and personalize this free blogging platform and use it to build any type of website you want.
When starting a blog, the first step is to choose the blogging platform that fits your website’s needs.
If you choose a platform such as Bluehost Builder or Wix, take advantage of the available AI-assisted designer to quickly build your blog and start publishing your content.
The easiest of all blogging platforms is Medium. Medium is so simple and focused on publishing that it avoids burdening you with countless customizations and SEO settings.
Like other free blogging platforms, with Medium, you just create an account, do some basic personalization, publish content, and share your work.
The most SEO-friendly blog platforms are WordPress.org and Ghost.
Your own WordPress site will benefit from the many plugins that you can install for granular SEO control.
As for Ghost, you have a blog platform that has been so finely optimized for speed and SEO that even customizing the free themes doesn’t break its performance.
Start With a Free Blogging Platform
The easiest way to start blogging is by choosing a free blogging platform. Most free blogging platforms help you minimize your costs and give you enough time to learn the basics of blogging.
At the same time, there are other free blogging platforms which offer limited features while focusing on the publishing aspects of blogging.
Unlike some of the best blogging platforms that offer a free plan, Weebly’s customization options are not overwhelming. They will also give you an idea of what is possible on platforms such as WordPress.
If you’re ready to buy a premium plan, then consider Bluehost Builder for its low introductory prices.
This blog platform is also balanced for ease-of-use and flexibility. More than that, you have up to 30 days to test Bluehost Builder and decide whether it meets your needs.
In case you feel spoilt for choice, just start by testing one or several of the best blogging platforms and evaluate the experience. Here are the top 5:
To learn more about blogging and how to make money online, check out the below articles:
- Best WordPress Hosting Services
- Best CMS Software
- Best CRM Software
- Best Online Course Platforms
- Best Ecommerce Platforms
- Best Keyword Research Tools