15 Best Apps For Managing Remote Teams in 2022
Working remotely experienced its peak in 2020 and 2021 due to the COVID19 pandemic. The majority of businesses were forced to move their teams back home for work, and therefore, remote team management software became extremely necessary.
If you’re managing a team that’s working remotely at the moment, you might be interested to learn what are some of the best team management apps available.
Managing a remote team is certainly not an easy task, but with some of these tools to manage remote employees, you can be certain that you can maintain your team’s productivity even though you’re not physically with them in the office.
Are you hoping to learn about some of the best remote workforce management software? Then keep reading.
Best Tools to Manage Your Team Remotely
Remote Team Management App With 24/7 Customer Support
Monday.com is a great option for managing a remote team with ease. More than 125,000 companies use this team management app on a daily basis.
Monday.com’s Key Features
- Docs: Since you’re working remotely, one of the most important things for effortless workflow is definitely the ability to share important information, and this software lets you do so conveniently. By creating a doc, you can embed any board into it, collaborate with others, and add images, videos, and other relevant elements.
- Automations: Monday.com offers code-free automation. Some of the things you can automate include status updates, dependencies, email notifications, and due date alerts. You can also automatically assign tasks.
- Dashboards: This remote workforce management app lets you create custom dashboards and track progress, budgets, and timelines. These dashboards also make it super easy for remote teams to collaborate effortlessly.
- Gantt Chart: Just like many other remote team management apps, this one also includes a Gannt chart feature, which allows you to plan and execute your projects by using a visual platform. This allows you to manage tasks and capacities, all while tracking your milestones and making sure you’ll be hitting your monthly or yearly goals.
This app offers five different plans: Individual Plan, Basic Plan, Standard Plan, Pro Plan, and Enterprise Plan. The Individual Plan is free forever and includes up to two seats.
If you have a bigger remote team, you’ll want to opt for the Basic Plan ($8 per seat per month) or the Standard Plan ($10 per seat per month), which is their most popular plan. Either one of these will make remote workforce management a breeze.
They don’t require a credit card to start a free trial, so there’s no obligation.
You can try Monday.com for free right away.
Remote Work Management App That Lets You Create Your Own Customized View
If you’re looking to enhance your remote team management strategy, ClickUp might be the perfect choice for you. This task management software for remote teams lets you keep everything you need in one place, including tasks, documents, chats, goals, and more.
ClickUp’s Key Features
- Views: What makes ClickUp unique compared to other team management apps is the fact that it offers several customizable view options, including Core View, Advanced View, and Page View, which are perfect for monitoring ongoing projects while working remotely.
- Prioritization: It is of utmost importance to be aware of your priorities, especially while your team is working from home. That’s one of the perks of using ClickUp for remote team management – this software lets you prioritize important tasks so that your team’s productivity stays optimal.
- Goal Reminders: Since you’re not physically in the same office as your team, it’s key to ensure that everyone is aware of their goals. Goal reminders are there to let you optimize productivity and ensure timeliness.
- Integrations: If you’re already using a project management app, you’ll be happy to hear that you can manually import everything into ClickUp from apps such as Asana, Trello, and Todoist. Aside from that, ClickUp can be integrated with more than 1000 apps that are already being used by remote teams.
If you’re working on a budget, ClickUp might be the perfect solution for you, since it has a Free Forever plan that lets you have unlimited members. Apart from this one, they also offer an Unlimited Plan, Business Plan, Business Plus Plan, and Enterprise Plan.
The paid plans offer more solutions and features, such as unlimited storage, unlimited integrations, and custom exporting.
You can use their Free Forever plan for as long you like and upgrade at any time.
Try their paid plans for free for 30 days.
Solution For Remote Working Teams With Instant Messaging Feature
Trusted by more than 20,000 companies, Teamwork is a great option for project managers whose teams are working remotely. This remote team management tool has a balance of ease of use, functionality, and price.
Teamwork’s Key Features
- Time-tracking Tool: This feature is great for monitoring your team’s performance and productivity throughout the day, especially since you’re not able to be with them in person. This gives you peace of mind and ensures that all projects will be finished in a timely manner.
- Instant Messaging: Since you’ll be working from home, it is important to maintain proper communication between teams for optimal performance. Teamwork’s Instant Messaging feature enables you to communicate with everyone within the app itself, which is very convenient.
- Integrations: If you happen to be using other software, such as MS Teams or HubSpot, you’ll be happy to hear that you can integrate these apps and many more with Teamwork.
- Milestones: Monitoring your team’s progress is crucial to the success of your project. That’s why the Milestones feature is so beneficial – it helps you attach task lists and define goals, ensuring maximum productivity and decreasing the chance of missed deadlines.
Teamwork is a solid option for smaller remote teams or those who are just getting started due to its Free Forever Plan.
However, if you happen to be managing a bigger team remotely, or you have several projects, they offer three more plans – Deliver Plan, Grow Plan, and Scale Plan. The most popular plan they’re currently offering is the Grow Plan, which costs $18 per user per month. There is no obligations or no credit card information required to get started.
Try Teamwork for free for 30 days.
Free & Versatile Remote Team Management Software That Enables Better Communication
Another really great Kanban software for teams working from home is Wrike – the perfect solution for team managers who enjoy customizing workflows while maintaining the ability to make adjustments within the app itself.
Wrike’s Key Features
- Collaboration: This feature makes it convenient to share reports, files, and tasks in a matter of seconds, which makes your feedback process shorter. It lets you utilize visual proofing and automated approval systems.
- Customization: In case you enjoy color coding and other forms of customization, you’ll be happy to learn that Wrike lets you do this and more – add comments to videos, sections, and documents in just a few clicks. Wrike also allows you to customize workflows, request forms, and dashboards.
- Scaling: If you’re determined to grow your business, Wrike includes features that set you up for great success. By using this app, you can export relevant company data by creating custom fields.
- Communication: It is extremely important to stay connected with your team while working remotely, and this team management app lets you quickly find information and make relevant decisions on the spot.
Are you looking for centralized task management? If yes, Wrike’s Free Plan is a great place to start.
In case you’re looking for more features, such as project planning and team collaboration, they also offer three other plans – Professional Plan, Business Plan, and Enterprise Plan. The most popular plan, the Business Plan, will cost you $24.80 per user per month.
Try out Wrike with zero obligations for 14 days. If you end up liking it, you can easily upgrade at any time.
Tool For Managing Remote Workforce With Real-Time Gantt Charts
This free project management app is perfect for well-established remote teams. It lets you easily manage everything at once, including contacts, tasks, billing, and more.
Scoro’s Key Features
- Drag and Drop Planner: This useful feature makes it easy to manage your time and distribute tasks among team members. It also lets you prioritize and plan everyone’s work and avoid any overlaps.
- Real-time Gantt chart: Another reason why Scoro is so great for remote team management is that it allows you to track what everyone is doing in real-time. You can track progress, dependencies, events, and much more.
- Dashboards & Reporting: Create custom reports with just a few clicks. You can also monitor risk areas, track progress, and analyze processes. All reports and dashboards are displayed in real-time.
- Integrations: Your remote team is probably already using team tools such as Google Drive and Slack. Scoro can be integrated with these apps and many more. For example, you can integrate Slack to turn messages into tasks automatically.
To start off, you should know that Scoro is a bit pricier compared to other remote team management tools. They offer four different plans – Essential Plan, Work Hub Plan, Sales Hub Plan, and Ultimate Plan.
If you’re in need of a good remote workforce management app, their Essential Plan is a great place to start. It costs $26 per user per month, with a minimum of 5 users.
If you’re not sure whether you should pay for Scoro, they offer a free trial before deciding whether you want to upgrade to a paid plan.
Remote Workforce Management Tool That Prioritizes Your Security
Smartsheet, a SaaS app, offers many features that could be beneficial to your remote team, regardless of size. This project management app helps you move your business forward by providing you with the necessary tools and features to easily manage a team working from home.
Smartsheet’s Key Features
- Content Management: By using Smartsheet, you can review content production and keep all content neatly organized, a feature that is especially beneficial to remote marketing teams.
- Automation: You can easily automate key processes and actions, which in turn helps you save time and effort and allows you to focus on more important tasks as a project manager. Repetitive tasks can be fully automated and you can even set reminders for projects that are due.
- Integrations: Optimize your entire business process by integrating essential tools, such as G-Suite, DocuSign, MS Office 365, and more.
- Security: Smartsheet is a great choice if you prioritize security. No matter how small or big your remote team might be, this app provides excellent security with options such as user management, single sign-on, and scalable administrative controls.
Smartsheet offers three different plans, depending on your team’s needs. You can choose between their Pro Plan ($6 per user per month), Business Plan ($22 per user per month), and an Enterprise Plan that can be with their sales staff.
Of course, Smartsheet offers a free trial period so you can figure out whether it fits your needs as a project manager working with a remote team. You can easily upgrade to a paid plan if you decide it’s a good fit.
Remote Project Management App That’s Great for Startups
Hive prides itself on the fact that it has been built by users for users. Some of the biggest teams that have contributed to this remote workforce management software include Google, Comcast, and even Starbucks.
Hive’s Key Features
- Time Management: This feature is perfect for teams working from home because it allows you to understand where your team spends their time. Hive also offers a timesheet, which lets you collect time-tracking data from all teammates and presents it to you in one cohesive format.
- Automation: By using Hive’s automation feature, you can automate tasks, assess team progress, and even collect productivity data, something that’s very important, especially if you’re managing several teams that are working remotely.
- Integrations: Hive can be fully integrated with popular enterprise tools such as Google Drive, Microsoft Teams, Slack, and more.
- Team Collaboration: Some of the perks of using Hive for team collaboration needs include Hive Chat, Hive Mail, Comments, and more. All of these tools make collaboration a breeze and prevent any miscommunication that could hinder the success of your project.
If you’re just getting started with a business, or you’re working in a team of two, Hive offers a Solo Plan that is free forever. Apart from this, they also offer two paid plans – Hive Teams and Hive Enterprise.
The Hive Teams Plan costs $12 per user per month (if billed annually), and includes unlimited users, storage, and support. If you’re running a huge business and need more functionality, you can opt for their Enterprise Plan, which offers you a dedicated support team.
If this remote team management app sounds interesting to you, sign up for a free trial without obligations, before deciding whether you’d like to upgrade.
Try it for free for 14 days.
App For Team Management With Full Template Automation
Asana is definitely one of the most popular remote project management apps out there. It helps you coordinate between tasks, build projects, and meet your deadlines.
Asana’s Key Features
- Customization: Asana allows you to create custom templates and project fields, which lets your team start working immediately.
- Integrations: Your remote team is probably already using apps to help with their daily tasks and communication, and Asana can be integrated with lots of them, including Gmail, Slack, and Google Drive.
- Collaboration: In order to decrease the amount of wasted time, this remote workforce management tool enables your team to share valuable information. You can also use the “Teammate view” feature that lets you see all tasks assigned to your team members, which allows you to organize and plan the project more accurately.
- Automated Templates: This app offers a wide range of templates for popular processes and projects. You can choose between a premade template, or create your own unique template, which can be fully customized to fit your specific project requirements.
If you’re on a budget, Asana might be the perfect choice for you because it offers a Basic Plan that provides unlimited tasks, projects, and messages.
However, if you’re in need of reporting features and more customization, you can choose their Premium Plan, which costs $10.99 per user per month when billed annually. Finally, they offer a Business Plan, with many more useful enterprise features, which costs $24.99 per month per user when billed annually.
You can get started with Asana’s free forever plan right away, and if you happen to need more functionality, you can start a free trial before deciding to upgrade.
Try Asana for free for 30 days.
Perfect Choice For Managing A Remote Software Development Team
Jira’s Key Features
- Scrum Boards: This framework enables teams of software developers to manage even the most complex projects by encouraging collaboration. The Scrum Board unites a team around a specific goal that needs to be delivered on time.
- Roadmaps: This feature keeps your team synchronized and organized. It’s created to allow working with multiple teams on company-wide projects. There are unlimited levels of hierarchy with Advanced Roadmaps, which help your organization plan smarter.
- Agile Reporting: You and your team will have access to several out-of-the-box reporting tools. This gives you, the project manager, real-time insight into how your team is performing and the ability to make data-driven decisions.
- Kanban Boards: The boards are super flexible and give your whole team the chance to see what’s next in terms of tasks. This helps you continuously deliver great results with minimal wasted time.
If you’re working with a small team, Jira has a completely free plan that seats up to 10 users. This is great if you want to increase productivity and track work more efficiently.
They also have three different paid plans – Standard Plan, Premium Plan, and Enterprise Plan. If you’re focused on growing your team and business, their Standard Plan is a good choice, and it will cost you $7.50 per user per month.
However, if you’re working with several, well-established software development teams, the Premium Plan ($14.50 per user per month) is optimal, and you can even consider their Enterprise Plan, which offers security, governance, and global scale.
You can sign up for a free plan with Jira, and you can always upgrade if you happen to need more features and functionality for your projects.
App For Managing Remote Employees With A Built-in Calendar
Used and loved by more than 85,000 teams around the globe, ProofHub offers all the tools you might need under one roof. It allows you to deliver projects on time and gives you control over teams and projects with simple fixed price plans.
ProofHub’s Key Features
- Calendar: This feature allows you to set up multiple calendar views, recurring tasks, and automatic reminders. You can also merge your other existing calendars with the ProofHub calendar in order to stop referring to several calendars and keep everything handy in one place.
- Files and Docs: ProofHub is a great option because it helps you keep all your important files and documents in one central place. You can search and filter through them quickly and find a doc whenever you need it. You can also keep several versions of the same file handy.
- Custom Roles: When it comes to remote project management, it’s important to establish a hierarchy and let everyone know who is in charge of what. Custom Roles give you the ability to define everyone’s role and stay in control of who gets access to what.
- Chat: With a built-in chat feature, this remote workforce management app allows your teams and departments to communicate effortlessly within the app. This eliminates the need for other apps and keeps everything in one central place.
ProofHub is different from other apps used for managing remote employees because their paid plans are not billed per user. So, if you have a big team, this means that using ProofHub will be cheaper than using other apps.
They offer two paid plans – the Ultimate Control Plan, which costs $89 per month when billed annually, and the Essential Plan, which costs $45 per month when billed annually.
The Essential Plan gives you access to 40 projects and 15 GB of storage, while the Ultimate Control Plan lets you have unlimited projects and 100 GB of storage. Both plans include unlimited users.
Experience everything ProofHub has to offer by trying a trial first, after which you can choose whether you want to upgrade.
Try for free for 30 days.
Cheap Remote Team Management Software With More Than 1000 Integrations
nTasks’ Key Features
- Integrations: By using Zapier, you can integrate more than 1000 apps with nTask. Some of the apps that can be integrated are Google Drive, Slack, and Gmail.
- Collaboration: When working from home, it’s important to preserve good communication and collaboration among team members and departments. This app lets your team members work together effortlessly.
- Multiple Project Management: If you’re managing several projects at once while working from home, nTask is a stellar choice because it lets you oversee everyone’s tasks and duties, regardless of what project they’re working on.
- Issue Tracking: Preventing problems and issues is of utmost importance, especially when you’re not face-to-face with your team. nTask has an issue tracking software that detects bugs early on, thus allowing you to fix them before they further disrupt the progress of your project.
If you’re a freelancer, or you’re working in a team of five, nTask has a free forever Basic Plan that’s perfect for you. It gives you 100 MB of storage, unlimited workspaces, and unlimited tasks.
However, if you’re looking for a more complex app for managing remote employees, they also offer three paid plans – Premium, Business, and Enterprise.
The most popular plan, Premium Plan, costs $3 per user per month, and it’s perfect for startups. The plan provides you with more functionality, such as kanban boards, Gantt charts, and custom filters.
nTask offers a free trial period, and if you end up enjoying it, you can easily upgrade to one of their affordable paid plans to continue managing your remote employees effortlessly.
Try nTask for 14 days.
Drag and Drop Tool For Managing Your Remote Team
Trello is definitely one of the most widely used tools to manage remote employees. Regardless of your team’s size, this app is great for collaboration, project management, and goal tracking.
Trello’s Key Features
- Attachments: Trello is unique compared to other team management apps because it allows you to add attachments to your cards and tasks. These attachments can be accessed by other team members, which is super useful in terms of collaboration.
- Cards: This work-from-home team management app uses cards to organize tasks and projects. You can name these cards according to what they represent for your team, and simply drag them across the board to indicate your progress.
- Templates: Trello is equipped with pre-made templates which make it easy to start working immediately. This also means that you and your team do not require any training to begin using the app – it’s super intuitive.
- No-Code Automation: You don’t have to be a programmer to automate common actions and create custom buttons that help you build your process quickly. By automating your Trello boards, you can also schedule teammate assignments and signal upcoming deadlines for your team.
Trello is an optimal choice for project managers with a tight budget. They offer a completely free plan that includes unlimited cards, members, and up to 10 boards per Workspace.
If you happen to need more functionality, they also offer three paid plans – Standard, Premium, and Enterprise.
The Premium Plan is $10 per user per month when billed annually, and it gives you access to dashboard view, timeline view, and calendar view, among other things. The Standard Plan is a bit cheaper but offers fewer options and features. It costs $5 per user per month.
Trello offers a free trial period, so you can see whether it has all the features your team needs to excel and deliver great results, all while working from home.
Try out Trello for free.
Digital Workplace Platform That Helps You Streamline Your Projects Remotely
Kissflow’s Key Features
- Access Control: When you’re working from home, it’s important to establish a user system that helps eliminate the risk of unauthorized people accessing confidential files. This feature allows you to choose who can access and see what, therefore maintaining security and confidentiality within your organization.
- Drag and Drop Forms: Kissflow offers you custom layouts, tables, and data validation. It also provides 20 different field types
- Reports: This tool helps you create custom reports, by using metrics and pivot tables. These reports help you get a clear overview of your progress and help you increase efficiency across your team.
- No-Code Workflows: By using conditional tasks and parallel branches, you can quickly create workflows, simple or complex.
Kissflow offers three different Digital Workplace Plans – Basic Plan, Advanced Plan, and Fully Loaded Plan.
Their most popular plan, the Advanced Plan, costs $25 per user per month and gives you access to features such as Advanced Integration, Process Management, and 12*5 Gold Support.
For more scaling, you can opt for their Fully Loaded Plan, which will cost you $40 per user per month, so it’s definitely a bit pricier compared to other plans.
If you’re still not sure about using Kissflow’s Digital Workplace, you can try all the features for free for 14 days. You don’t need to enter your card information in order to begin the trial.
Start your free Kissflow trial.
Remote Team Management App With GPS Tracking
HubStaff is one of the only apps for managing remote employees that offers GPS tracking. This feature makes this app very useful for project managers who want to keep an eye out for teams who are on the go.
Hubstaff’s Key Features
- GPS Tracking: This feature is perfect for teams out in the field. By simply downloading the app, your teams can clock in and out easily, and you can see what routes employees took to get to work. You can also have timesheets generated for each employee based on hours that were tracked.
- Reporting: As a project manager working with remote employees, it’s important to understand your project’s progress and plan better. The reporting feature allows you to build reports and customize them by week, team member, client, or project.
- Online Invoicing: By using Hubstaff’s billing and invoicing software, you can reduce the amount of non-billable hours. This feature lets you create online invoices which you can then send to clients for payment.
- Employee Tracking: It’s valuable to know how productive and efficient your remote employees are. Kissflow’s Employee Tracking tool lets you see what they did and for how long, but only if they’ve enabled time tracking.
HubStaff offers two different paid plans and one customizable Enterprise Plan. The free plan, called Desk Free, is intended for only one user.
The two paid plans, Desk Starter and Desk Pro, come with more functionality and features. The Desk Starter plan costs $7 per user per month, and the Desk Pro plan costs $10 per user per month.
You can try out any of their paid plans for free for 14 days before deciding which one is the most suitable one for your remote team.
Try Hubstaff right away.
Remote Workforce Management App With Message Boards
Basecamp is an all-in-one tool to manage remote employees that lets you stay on top of everyone’s workload and keeps all you need in one place.
Basecamp’s Key Features
- In-App Chat: Nothing comes in more handy than a chat feature that’s built into your project management app, especially when you’re working from home. This prevents miscommunication and helps everyone get the information they’re looking for in a matter of minutes.
- File-Sharing: If you have to frequently share documents and files, Basecamp is a very convenient option because it lets you share files and keep everything in one place so that it can be accessed whenever needed.
- Automatic Check-Ins: It’s invaluable to get daily updates from your remote employees on their task status and progress. With automatic check-ins, you don’t have to worry about this – the app will get all the necessary information for you, which you may review at your convenience.
- Message Board: This feature lets you post announcements and other important progress updates for your entire team to see. This eliminates the need for online meetings, thus letting you and your team focus on making progress with their tasks.
Basecamp offers you two choices – a Free Plan and a Business Plan. The Free Plan gives you access to three projects, 1 GB of storage, and up to 20 users.
On the other hand, the Business Plan, which costs $99 per month, provides you with endless features, unlimited users, and advanced client access.
If you’d like to try Basecamp for free, you can do so with their 30-day free trial. They do not require a credit card to get started.
Try Basecamp free of charge.
Which Software Helps with Remote Team Management
Now that we’ve gone over all the different options out there, you might be wondering which remote team management app is right for you. The answer is not that simple, and it really depends on what you’re looking to get.
Some things you need to take into account when making this decision are the scope of your projects, team size, the need for time-tracking, and more. Each of these apps for employees working from home has its selling points and we will summarize them to help you make this decision.
Here are our recommendations:
- Messaging Feature: Hive, Teamwork, Basecamp, ProofHub
- Time-Tracking: Hive, Teamwork
- File-Sharing: Monday.com, Wrike, Basecamp
- Reporting: Scoro, HubStaff, Kissflow, Jira, Asana
- Automation: Monday.com, Scoro, Hive, Trello
By picking an app that is both functional and affordable, you can ensure maximum productivity and help take your project management to the next level. All of these remote team management tools offer free plans and free trials, so you can try out several of them before making this important decision.