12 Best Project Management Software for Small Business
As a project manager or business owner in charge of a small team or business, using project management software tools is a game-changer. These tools free up time for you to concentrate on high-level tasks that improve productivity in your business.
However, not all project management software is suitable for a small team or business. Some software tools have comprehensive features, premium prices, and an arduous learning curve that are not beneficial for small creative teams.
In this article, you will learn about 12 of the best project management software for small businesses and the key features to look out for.
Let’s get started.
Best Project Management Software for Small Business
Best Overall Project Management Software for Small Business
- Centralized Dashboard: Monday.com provides you with a dashboard through which you have centralized access to all your real-time data. You easily make decisions through these insights, especially when it comes to sharing resources among team members.
- Gantt Chart: A very important tool in project management. Monday.com equips you with powerful Gantt charts with which you plan, track, and control your entire project management workflow on one view and workspace. With this Gantt chart software for project management, managing your baselines, milestones, and dependencies, among other important work items, becomes a breeze.
- Integrations: Helping to streamline your entire business workflow across multiple platforms, you also enjoy integrations with over 40 external tools and software. These include Salesforce, Google Calendar, and Microsoft Excel.
- Unlimited boards and documents on the free plan
- Automated alerts
- 14-day free trial
- Hundreds of ready-made templates
- 18% discount on yearly subscription
Monday.com is available to you for use through five plans:
- An individual plan that is free forever for two users
- A basic plan with unlimited work items
- A standard plan with over 250 automation per month
- A pro plan with time tracking capabilities
- An enterprise plan with advanced reporting and analytics. All paid plans are priced per user.
Try Monday.com’s 14-day free trial to get started.
Best Project Management Software for Small Teams with Great Plugin Options
Trusted by over 200,000 teams and businesses worldwide and founded in 2017, ClickUp is one of the best project management software for small businesses.
- Comprehensive Project View: ClickUp’s Everything view presents you with a complete and convenient view of all important elements and updates relating to your project. You have an immediate view of your ready projects, in progress, or under review, as well as comments and updates from team members.
- Customizable Tasks: With access to over 35 native applications (ClickApps), you get to customize your whole task management workflow. Customization options range from over 50 integrated automation for time-saving to adding custom field data and assigning sprints, among others.
- Multiple Visualization Options: This visual project management software offers you up to 15 different views to bring your workflow to life and easily track your project completion. These include a list, board, Gantt chart, mind map, and timeline views, among others.
- Unlimited tasks and team members on the free plan
- Over 1000 integrations
- Real-time report dashboards
- Comprehensive time management options
Alongside a Free plan, you have access to ClickUp’s services through four paid plans:
- An unlimited plan specifically made for small teams and comes with unlimited storage, integrations, and dashboards.
- A business plan for mid-sized teams.
- A business plus plan with advanced team-sharing options.
- An enterprise plan with advanced permission and security. All paid plans are determined by a quote.
Try out ClickUp’s 30-day free trial to discover if it is a suitable fit for your small business project management needs.
Best Task Management Software for Small Business that Offers Extensive Customization Options
Wrike is a small business project management service provider that focuses on customizations and collaborations. It is trusted by over 20,000 businesses worldwide.
- Customizations: Wrike allows you to make a series of changes to your entire project management framework in a way that fits your specific needs. Not only do you get to customize your workflow, but your customization options also cover your dashboard and come with drag and drop capabilities, through which you easily make edits and see only what you need to see.
- Gantt Chart: This web-based project management software also serves as one of the best
Gantt chart makers on the internet. Also equipped with easy drag and drop capabilities, you easily set and monitor your project schedules and dependencies in real-time.
- Reporting: Wrike offers you an intuitive report wizard which allows you to build and edit real-time interactive reports, schedule notifications for report updates, create project status reports, and easily share them among other team members and stakeholders.
- Free trial
- Intuitive collaborative proofing and approval tool
- Unlimited users on the free plan
- Mobile applications
- Brandable workspace
- Extended add-on features for increased functionality
Wrike makes its services available to you through five plans: a free plan, a professional plan for small teams, a business plan, an enterprise plan determined by a quote, and a pinnacle plan also determined by a quote. All plans are priced per user.Try out Wrike’s 14-day free trial to get started.
Leading Small Business Project Management Software Tool with Highly Actionable Templates
Teamwork is an all-in-one project management platform allowing you to centrally manage projects, clients, hired freelancers, and your team. It is another software you can trust for your small business needs.
- Portfolio Management: In case you intend to manage multiple projects at the same time, Teamwork has you covered with its intuitive portfolio management features. This is facilitated through the use of centralized dashboards, the board view, and comprehensive project health status updates.
- Comprehensive Team Tracking: Through time and resource tracking/management options, you easily monitor how efficiently your team members spend time and also how resources are spread and used up among team members.
- Multiple project view options
- 30-day free trial (no card details required)
- High-quality integrations
Alongside a free plan for individuals and small teams, you have access to Teamwork through a Deliver plan with 20 project templates, Grow plan with 50 templates and HubSpot integration, and a Scale plan with unlimited templates and projects.Try out Teamwork’s 30-day free trial to know if it is the best for your small business project management needs.
Easy-to-Use and Affordable Project Management Software for Small Teams
- Comprehensive Task Management Options: Zoho Projects equips you with a very comprehensive list of task management features to choose from. These features range from an intuitive work breakdown structure, powerful Gantt charts, and intuitive issue management options to a universal add button, multiple task views, and portfolio management options, among a lot of others.
- Customizations: The project management software also places great focus on features that help you minimize your workspace and make it more specific to your needs. You enjoy access to custom layouts, custom fields, custom views, templates, tags, and even custom domains, among others.
- Automations: Zoho also comes with a host of automation features, including SLAs, business rules, workflow rules, webhooks, blueprints, and automated notifications.
- Comprehensive collaboration features
- High-quality reporting
- Time and resource management
- Comprehensive integrations
Coming with a free plan for 3 users, you have access to Zoho Projects through two paid plans: a premium plan with unlimited projects and an enterprise plan determined by a quote. All paid plans are priced per user.Try out Zoho Projects’ 10-day free trial to get started.
Best Project Management Software for Small Business with Powerful Search Tool and High Data Security
- Multiple Views: Kissflow lets you comprehensively visualize your project workflow through multiple view options. These views include a card-based Kanban board system, lists, a matrix view option, and a “my task” view with all your to-do lists.
- Collaborations: Through direct “@” mentions on comments, posts, or task cards, alongside comprehensive file sharing and a powerful search engine, among others, the project management software helps you collaborate more effectively.
- Insightful Reports: Kissflow also provides you with insightful and actionable data through multiple reporting options. These options include cycle time reports, a cumulative flow diagram, lead time data, and a flow efficiency chart to measure team performance.
- Improved data security
- Drag and drop editing
- Automated notification
- Free trial
- Extensive reporting options
Kissflow does not come with a free plan and is made available to you through three paid plans: a starter plan with only 3 view options, a professional plan with unlimited views, and an enterprise plan determined by a quote.
Try out Kissflow’s 14-day free trial with no credit card required.
Dedicated Gantt Chart Maker With Additional Integrated Project Management Functionalities
- Gantt Chart: TeamGantt majorly dedicates its platform to help you create Gantt charts. Equipped with drag and drop capabilities, you have access to a free Gantt chart with which you manage your tasks, files, and communications on a single centralized hub.
- Built-In Resource Management: You also have access to integrated resource management features within your Gantt chart. With this, you closely monitor the workload of different team members and make schedules or assign tasks appropriately.
- 30-day free trial
- Extended view options
- Integrated time tracking
- 20% discount on yearly subscription
TeamGantt offers you its project management services through a standard plan and an Enterprise plan with unlimited projects, alongside a free plan for 3 users. Final prices are ultimately determined by your team size. Try out TeamGantt’s 30-day free trial to get started.
Simple Project Management Software with Highly Extendable Functionality
Trello is a web-based, Kanban-style, and simple project management tool for small businesses to manage multiple business-related workflows, from Agile projects to customer support tracking to sales pipelines, among others.
- Automations: Trello provides you with a built-in AI-powered assistant called “Butler” with which you simplify your workflow by avoiding repetitive and tedious workloads.
- Extendable Functionality: Alongside integrations with other external platforms like Slack, Google Drive, and Dropbox, Trello equips you with hundreds of native apps called “Power-Ups” to extend your project management functionality.
- Organized Workspace: With Trello, you do not just have access to regular view options but also a Trello Card view with which you split and categorize your checklists, deadlines, attachments, and communications, among others.
- Unlimited cards, users, and power-ups on the free plan
- Mobile applications
- Custom fields
Trello offers its services through four plans: a free plan, a standard plan, a premium plan, and an enterprise plan determined by a quote. Pricing for the Enterprise is also determined by the number of users. Try out Trello’s 14-day free trial to find out if it is the right fit for your small business project management needs.
Online Small Business Project Management Software with Highly Reliable Communication Channels
Basecamp is an agile project management software that offers high-quality project and resource management features to keep track of your discussions, tasks, deadlines, and documents. It is a real-time communication tool dedicated to remote teams and trusted by millions of users
- Integrations: Basecamp comes with a comprehensive collection of quality integrations helping to streamline your project management workflow and get it to be more effective. Integrations include partnerships with Asana, Slack, Dropbox, and G Suite for your documents and calendars.
- Charts: Track your project progress with Basecamp’s history snapshots. Easily respond to every update and leave comments for team members.
- 30-day free trial
- 15% discount on yearly payments
- Mobile applications
Basecamp is available to you through a free plan and a single paid plan. Opting for the paid plan gives you access to advanced client access control, templates, and an unlimited number of projects, users, and clients.
Try out Basecamp’s 30-day free trial to discover if the project management software is right for your small business.
Small Business Project Management Software with High Project Visibility
Asana is a web and mobile application specifically optimized with features that make your entire project management workflow as convenient as you need it to be.
- Multiple Project Views: Asana allows you to visualize and track your project workflow through the board, list, timeline, files, teammate, and calendar views, among others.
- Customizations: With Asana, you have access to customizable templates to quickly start your project management activities, as well as custom fields. Your entire workflow is also customizable and automated through rules set by you.
- Portfolio Management: Asana also lets you track all your projects on the same dashboards and in real-time. You have easy access to track and report updates on your teams across multiple projects.
- Admin Control: This project management software for mac users also gives you a chance to regulate the level of access and control your team members and guests have over projects. You easily set permission and privacy controls, create comment-only projects, and have access to SAML and an Admin API.
- Unlimited projects, tasks, activity logs, and file storage on the free plan
- Mobile applications
- Over 100 integrations
- Advanced search
Asana is available to you through three plans: a free plan, a premium plan with unlimited dashboards, and an enterprise plan determined by a quote and coming with portfolio management options, among others.
Try Asana’s 30-day free trial to get started.
Best Project Management Software for Small Business that Offers Great Selection Of Templates
Airtable is a low-code platform and team management software with which you manage your large-scale projects, sub-projects, and tasks through a collection of collaborative project management features.
- Templates: Airtable equips you with a dynamic collection of project management templates that help to quicken the creation of your project management framework. These include templates for efficient project tracking as well as projects for science museums and nonprofit programs, among others.
- Collaboration: Enjoy extensive collaboration features such as real-time updates, file sharing capabilities, and team dashboards.
- Data Security: Airtable offers security features such as single sign on, two factor authentication, and advanced account permissions to protect your data from internal and external threats.
- 14-day free trial
- Mobile applications
- Email support
Airtable is available to you through four plans: a free plan, a plus plan, a pro plan, and an enterprise plan determined by a quote.
Try out Airtable’s 14-day free trial to get started.
Best Project Management Software for Small Teams with Great Focus On Customizations
Notion is another highly reliable project management software for small businesses. It is an all-in-one workspace based in San Francisco,
- Customizations: Through intuitive drag and drop actions, Notion allows you to customize your workspace and workflow. You also get to create pages inside pages, keeping your workspace more organized as related work items are placed together.
- Collaborations: Notion lets you effectively and seamlessly collaborate in real-time and with an unlimited number of team members through smart and timely notifications.
- Highly security conscious
- API access on the free plan
- 30-day free trial
- Mobile applications
- Bulk exports
Nation's services come to you through a free personal plan, a personal pro plan, a team plan offering you unlimited team members, and an enterprise plan determined by a quote.
Try out Notion’s 30-day free trial to get started.
Key Features of Small Business Project Management Software
Project management software tools come dedicated to different sizes of businesses, with the top tools offering solutions for multiple business sizes. However, choosing one of these tools could prove difficult as there are a lot in the market. What are the key features to look out for, so you filter your different options appropriately?
One of the key features that remains most common amongst the different software programs placed on our list is the existence of multiple customization options. Covering your project workspace and workflow, a lot of the top project management software on the internet equips you with customizable templates coupled with drag and drop editing capabilities to make personalizations easier.
You ensure you have access to these templates and drag and drop capabilities, as well as custom layouts, custom fields, custom views, tags, and even custom rules, allowing you to personalize your automation.
With customizations, you focus on and equip yourself with the most important solutions offered by the tool, especially given that small businesses with small teams typically have less complex tasks to handle.
2. Multiple Project Views
Another key feature to look out for before selecting your project management software is the amount and type of project visualization options available to you. A lot of project management software allows you to visualize your projects through simple lists, calendars, and boards, but are these enough?
The top project management software programs in the market offer you more advanced views which let you comprehensively visualize and intuitively interact with your project workflow. These visualization options include Gantt charts and Kanban boards. Some extra visualization options include a timeline, map, and matrix views, among a lot of others.
Project management is just a part of your entire business workflow. A project management software does not offer you the level of functionality dedicated software programs give to you and also, you have some tools you and your team members have invested a lot of time and money into.
Integrations help you streamline your activities on these external platforms with your project management workflow. You avoid having to switch between applications while maintaining the use of these software programs that are important to your business.
Where you need extra functionality, the existence of multiple integration options makes scaling your business workflow a whole lot easier.
4. Comprehensive Collaboration Options
For a lot of small businesses, close collaborations between different employees or team members are key to their success. Due to this, it remains crucial that you choose a project management software that equips you with a vast collection of effective team communication and relationship management options.
Automated notifications, direct “@” mentions on comments, comprehensive file-sharing options, and views allowing you to track team members' activities and performance are a few important features to look for. These advanced options keep your team collaboration activities and channels as seamless, reliable, and effective as you need them to be.
Some other important features to look out for include advanced reporting, intuitive portfolio and resource management options, mobile application compatibility, and automation, among others.
What is the Best Project Management Software for Small Teams?
The best project management software for small teams or businesses depends on the required features you need to carry out your projects. While you want a project management software tool that is affordable, you should also consider other features such as customizations, multiple project views, integrations, and comprehensive collaboration options.
- If you are looking for project management software for small businesses that are beginner-friendly with a highly interactive and easy-to-use dashboard, choose Monday.com, ClickUp, Zoho Projects, and Trello.
- If you are searching for project management software for small teams with powerful AI tools, you should try Wrike and Teamwork.
- If you need a project management tool for small businesses with a dedicated Gantt chart marker, you should try TeamGantt.
- If you are searching for a project management tool for small teams with powerful search tools and high data security features, choose Kissflow.
- If you need a project management application for small businesses with a wide range of customizable templates, you should try Asana and Notion.
- If you are searching for a project management software tool to analyze your small team’s performance with an advanced reporting and alerting system, choose Basecamp.