15 Best Team Communication Tools In 2022 (With Pros, Cons, and Prices)
Remote and hybrid working atmospheres have become increasingly prevalent in today’s new normal. Organizations increasingly rely on team communication tools to keep day-to-day operations running smoothly. This article will review the 15 best team communication tools in 2022 (with pros, cons, and pricing)
People are increasingly aware of the need for the best team communication tools due to the current workplace trend of remote work, which seems to be here to stay.
Did you know that 86 percent of employees and executives blame workplace failures on an absence of collaboration or inefficient communication?
The current corporate environment, like every modern workplace, is changing. Effective team communication tools have become an essential aspect of all businesses.
We've compiled a list of the top 15 best team communication tools in 2022 to help you save time and get more done.
Best Team Communication Tools
Here are our picks for the best team communication tools in 2022:
- Microsoft Teams
- Troop Messenger
- Skype For Business
- Google Drive
Best All-in-one Team Communication Tool With A Visually Appealing Interface.
We love how Monday.com serves as a central, visual communication platform for remote work and an all-in-one platform to share files, delegate and monitor activities, and conduct ongoing virtual dialogues.Try Monday.com
Monday.com is a cloud-based Work OS that allows teams to build better workflow apps for managing projects, processes, and day-to-day tasks.
Teams can shape their workflows and projects without writing code, thanks to a platform that adapts to changing needs fast, frees teams from manual labor and brings them together in a collaborative workspace.
- Color-coded Boards: Monday.com's most notable feature is its color-coded boards, which enable team members to easily see which project is in progress, which tasks have been completed, and which teammate needs assistance.
- Notification Functionality: It's practically impossible to miss a message received through Monday.com as long as you and your teammates are logged in and have your notifications set up. When you first log into your account, monday.com sends you two types of notifications: the Inbox and the Notifications Bell. You won't miss anything if you consistently check these two items.
- Mobile Access: By downloading the monday.com iOS or Android app to your smartphone, you can stay in contact no matter where you are. You can receive alerts, access your Inbox and Notifications Bell, modify boards and items, and invite people to your account or board with the monday.com smartphone app.
- Stunning user interface
- Customization is extensive
- Project templates are available
- For people who want something easy, it may be overly complicated
- Interface slows down when more boards are added
Monday.com offers a free forever plan for up to two seats, after which pricing increases according to the number of seats and features required.
Best Team Communication Software With Amazing Features For Real-Time Team Communication.
We love ClickUp because it's one of the most flexible project management tools and can accommodate nearly any project type and technique. It also has tools that make it simple to collaborate in real-time with your team.Try ClickUp
ClickUp is a cloud-based work tool for teams and enterprises of all sizes and sorts. It brings together critical business apps and consolidates firm data into a single online platform.
- Process Control: Users can streamline projects using ClickUp's process management services. You can use these tools to keep track of all your plans and tasks in one location, making it easier to monitor and locate them.
- Time Tracking Functionality: You can keep track of time and add due dates to ensure that you never miss a deadline. This includes inputting task start and finish dates and seeing how long projects take to complete. There's even a Gantt Chart function that lets users create a project timetable to plan, schedule, and prioritize work.
- Collaboration Tool: Teams can collaborate using several reporting and collaboration tools. Using real-time editing, users can view whatever others are engaged with and progress with projects.
- Customizable Interface: ClickUp is extensively customizable, with many options for users. It provides keyboard shortcuts for tasks such as setting a task's due date or assigning responsibility.
- Automations are easy to set up
- Excellent client feedback functionality
- Suitable for a wide range of business
- Great customer support
- Lacks video conferencing feature
For the ClickUp unlimited plan, pricing starts at just $9 per user per month. Thanks to its excellent free tier, individual users can also get started with ClickUp.
Best Team Communication For Teams That Handle Digital Workflows.
Wrike has all of the project management features that a project manager could want and is ideal for teams that need to move quickly while maintaining a high level of flexibility.Try Wrike
Wrike is a scalable and adaptable project management application that allows you to manage tasks and processes in various ways.
- Document Editor: The document editor in Wrike is a useful feature that allows you to edit Word documents, PDFs, and images in the cloud without downloading them. This is a significant benefit for collaboration and can save time when working on cloud-based documents.
- Extensive Support: Wrike provides a great deal of support to enable you to get the best out of the platform. You can access an engaging module and monthly webinars organized by the Wrike team in addition to video documentation.
- Collaboration Calendar: Plan ahead of time with the shared team calendar, which sends your team real-time project plan updates whenever a new task is added or completed.
- Communication: Wrike doesn't have a live chat feature, but it does have task comment sections and Slack integration.
- Mobile Version: Wrike has a mobile app for both iOS and Android that allows you to stay in touch with your team and coordinate project tasks while on the go.
- Extremely user-friendly interface with personalized dashboards
- Easy to edit documents in the cloud without having to download them
- There is no integrated live chat
- Time tracking is difficult to use for invoicing and billing
Wrike has different plan tiers, including one that is completely free.
Easy-to-use Team Collaboration Tool Best For Project-Based Teams.
Chanty is a project management and team communication tool that provides an effective way to streamline company operations so that everyone is aware of what's going on and can concentrate on tasks.Try Chanty
Chanty is a messaging app that focuses on tasks rather than just chat and uses AI bots to improve communication and collaboration.
- Teambook: You can have private and group conversations without leaving the software's platform. You can also use video calls and voice notes to communicate while on the go. Chanty compiles all of these conversations into a centralized conversation archive called Teambook.
- Permission Feature: With Chanty, you can grant different access levels to conversations and projects using the Chanty project administration tools. It enables you to remove team members who are no longer working on a project from the project and archive old conversations. You can also assign different roles and permissions to different employees.
- File-Sharing: You can share information with your teammates via the Chanty desktop app and mobile app in various ways. You can, for example, attach files in various formats to chats and tasks.
- Integrations: The integration abilities of Chanty are quite impressive. The program works with various apps that have different functions and specializations. Chanty integrates with Dropbox, Google Drive, and Tasks to help you manage your files more effectively.
- Supports macOS, iOS, and Android devices
- Provides a task-based approach that allows you to concentrate on your work
- Offers AI bots that boost work efficiency
- The free version has many limitations
- No video chats in groups
Chanty is available for free for up to ten users. It also offers monthly and annual payments for groups of more than ten people, as shown below.
Efficient Team Communication Tool Best For Video Conference Calls.
Popular for its video conferencing capabilities, Zoom provides a lot more, offering an all-in-one phone system, hardware, and a chat feature to help you streamline your daily communication processes.Try Zoom
Zoom is a popular conference call service known for its video conferencing capabilities. We believe that most users will enjoy Zoom's extensive and unique product offerings, such as video webinars and Zoom Phone.
- Supports Large Groups: Depending on how much you pay, some conference call services only allow 25-100 people to participate in a video or audio meeting. When you buy a large meeting license from Zoom, you get space for up to 500-1,000 people.
- Audio Transcription: Zoom transcribes and saves the audio from cloud-recorded meeting files so you can concentrate on the meeting rather than taking meeting notes. You can also display the transcript in a video, like captions.
- Intuitive User Interface: Zoom's mobile and desktop apps have clean, consistent interfaces. New Meeting, join, schedule, and share screen are the four large icons on the home screen that covers your meeting needs.
- Background Image: Virtual Background is one of Zoom's most prominent and frequently used features. Zoom lets you pick from various built-in backgrounds, and you can also create your backgrounds.
- Unlimited one-on-one meetings are included in the free plan
- Simple to use and set up
- User-friendly interface
- Excellent backdrops and filters
- Wait times for customer service can be lengthy
- In comparison to the desktop version, the mobile app is slow
Zoom offers a free plan and a per month per license paid plan.
Reliable Team Communication Tool Best For Teams That Handle Client Work.
Teamwork is a project management software created to take the guesswork out of team collaboration. With personal dashboards, Teamwork promotes improved work visibility by enabling individuals to see what everyone is working on at any time and what needs special attention.
- Task Management: With Teamwork, you can create tasks directly from your account or email. Teamwork also claims to be the only project management software that lets you give tasks to many team members simultaneously. You can schedule recurring tasks on a monthly, weekly, or daily basis. When one of them is marked as complete, a new one appears to take its place.
- In-built Chat: Teamwork has its built-in chat feature. This makes it easy to communicate with your teammates. The Teamwork chat app is integrated with the project tab, meaning you can SMS your project team members to discuss work difficulties without switching tabs.
- Status: You can send status updates to your team via the Teamwork platform, so they always know where you are and what you're up to. You can also say if you're available for a meeting or a phone call.
- Shared Calendar: You can invite or tell your team members about an event using the calendar. Anyone invited can edit the calendar to add details like time and place. You can also set repeating events to occur on specified days.
- Simple to use
- An impressive list of features
- Account customization is offered
- Individual subscriptions are the only option
- Gantt charts are not viewable on mobile devices
- It may occasionally be buggy or malfunction
Teamwork offers a variety of paid plans. Up to 5 persons can use the Free Forever plan.
Best Team Communication Tool For Fast-Growing Teams.
Hive is a cloud-based project management tool that works well for companies of any size to manage teams, collaborate, manage projects, schedule work, and automate workflow procedures.
- Centralized Team Communication: Hive centralizes all your communications. The centralized communication function lets you integrate your existing communication applications, such as Skype and use them from the Hive dashboard.
- Team View Feature: Project managers can also use the team view to check how much work each team member has on their schedule. It resembles a Kanban board, with each team member's column and the tasks they're working on beneath it.
- Tools For Proofreading: Rather than sending emails and files to your team and asking them to proof and approve them, simply add a file to Hive and ask the team member or stakeholder to approve it within the software. When you deliver a file to a team member for approval, they'll see a message in their activity stream.
- Board for Messaging: Messaging Panel is linked to Messaging Board. You can leave it displayed or hide it to make room for the Project Panel and Your Board. This board displays your private or group conversation.
- Easy-to-use collaboration and communication tools
- Great customer service
- Template library with personalization
- Ability to keep track of time while working on a task
- Strange pricing model (i.e., analytics costs extra)
- Steep learning curve
Hive offers a 14-day free trial with no credit card required and paid plans that start at $16.
Excellent Team Communication Software With A Collaborative Workspace and Microsoft 365.
Microsoft Teams is a cloud-based group chat application that allows teams to work together on documents. Users can communicate via instant messaging, online meetings, and web conferencing.
- All Your Apps in One Interface: Microsoft Teams give you everything you need for messaging, conferencing, and file sharing in one platform, no matter how big or small your company is.
- Seamless Integration: Microsoft Teams integrate with the whole Microsoft system and hundreds of non-Microsoft products, ranging from product management systems like Jira to social media marketing apps, to help you run your business daily.
- Organized Chat Capabilities: Many businesses use Microsoft Teams only for instant messaging, and this tool is one of the best in its class. Microsoft Teams chat functionality has a wide range of features, including email-like threaded conversations, advanced search, Skype connection, and the option to pin chats to keep critical conversations visible and accessible.
- Simple to use: Microsoft Teams has a very intuitive user interface. Users do not need to create an account or download the desktop program to participate in the conversation. They can readily join via the internet.
- Full integration with Microsoft 365 Office
- Enhanced data security and protection
- Chat functionality can be buggy
- Confusing file structure
Microsoft Teams is included with Microsoft 365 Office’s plans. It has a free and premium plan that begins at $4.00 per user.
All-purpose Communication Software for Effective Collaboration.
Slack is ranked one of the best team communication tools and collaboration hubs on the market today because it provides instant messaging, voice and video calls, and other tools used to promote information sharing and collaboration and standalone applications for almost all platforms.
- Voice and Video Calls: Slack's calling feature helps you make calls to your colleagues and customers (if they are on Slack) from anywhere. You can share your ideas and screen with a single click on the video call.
- Integrations: Since Slack cannot possibly offer all the services that your team needs, it provides integration with tools that make up for functions it cannot perform so you can streamline work effortlessly. The best part about its Integrations is that you don't have to spend additional costs connecting and integrating with the different tools Slack supports.
- Direct Messaging: If you want to share confidential information with a customer or have a private discussion about project details with a particular team member, Slack offers a feature to cover this need. All you have to do is invite the person you wish to discuss with to your private channel.
- Channel Details: Slack helps boost transparency and clarity among teammates with channel details that help you set the topic for each channel. This way, when a new member is added to the channel, they have an idea about what this channel is about. Creating channels based on your team's objectives will help you streamline work communication effectively.
- Notifications: Notifications are great for streamlining work communication. Slack supports instant notification when someone in a channel tags you. It streamlines your notifications, so you're not distracted by channels created for entertainment when you're working on complicated tasks. You can decide which channels you can receive the notifications.
- Wide range of integration with other tools
- Great for sharing files
- Supports private channels
- Conversations get deleted after seven days
- Limited storage
Slack provides a free account in addition to the 30-day free trial. It has three paid plans, Pro, Business, and Enterprise Grid. The Enterprise Grid plan is customized.
10. Troop Messenger
Excellent Team Collaboration Tool That Centralizes Communication.
Troop Messenger is a unified team communication app that centralizes all internal communication, making it easier for the whole team to engage each other on delegated tasks, instructions, ideas, and collaboration without using multiple internal communication tools.
- Group Chat: Troop Messenger's group messaging feature helps team members get together on a unified workspace to share work-related files and discuss issues using its chat, group audio-video calling, audio message, code snippet, and Forkout feature functionalities. There is no limit to the number of groups you can create on Troop Messanger for different departments, projects, locations, teams, etc.
- Audio Messaging: The Audio Messaging feature of Troop Messenger offers help to send and receive a quick short audio clip to any team member. Instant audio messages enhance flawless two-way communication. Audio messaging is one of the best alternatives to audio calls and one-on-one chat conversations.
- Forkout: The Forkout feature helps users send a text message or attachment to multiple users or groups simultaneously. You just need to input the text message or upload the attachment and click Forkout to share it across multiple individual users and groups. The search function helps you select users, so you don't have to scroll through the entire contact list. All Forked-out chat messages have the Forkout feature icon showing within them. Enable/disable the Fork out marker while sending it.
- Simple interface
- Excellent bulk messaging tools
- Unlimited storage
- Loading takes time
- Limited integrations
Troop Messanger provides a free trial for 1-month and two paid accounts, Enterprise and Premium, with another account that will be available soon.
Unified Communication Tool Best Suited for Medium-Sized Teams’ Internal Communications.
Skype For Business is a unified communications platform from Microsoft that provides instant messaging, audio conversations, video conferencing, and Skype for Business Meetings.
- Record Skype Calls: Skype for Business offers a recording feature that is cloud-based and available on most platforms. Everyone on the call is notified once you begin recording, and the recording remains accessible for the next 30 days.
- Control Dashboard for Participants: Skype for Business provides numerous meeting controls, like the ability to mute attendees, hide the names behind display pictures, invite additional participants while the meeting is ongoing, and block attendee’s videos from showing.
- Whiteboard Tools: The virtual whiteboard tools help you illustrate ideas, take notes, or capture session details. It also helps you conduct polls for the audience and post Q&As.
- Device authentication feature
- Integration with Microsoft Office Suite
- User friendly
- Messages are not displayed in chronological order
Skype For Business is a product of Microsoft, so if you have a Microsoft Office 365 Business account, then Skype For Business is pretty much part of the package.
Outstanding Collaboration Tool for a Remote Team.
GoToMeeting is a team communication software equipped with features and functionalities that make it an excellent choice for companies operating in several locations, with remote employees worldwide, and contracts with partners and customers abroad.
- Screen Sharing: This feature empowers your remote team members, letting them view, edit, and modify documents with GoTo Connect’s drawing tools. With features like Android screen sharing, every participant gets a view of your presentation even when you’re on the move.
- Streamlined Communication Channels: GoToMeeting helps you start public or private conversations with anyone on your contact list. You can easily flow from a meeting to chats and vice versa on this platform.
- Call Me: This feature ensures that you don’t miss any meeting since you get a call once the meeting starts and all you have to do is answer the call to get in.
- Inexpensive compared to its competition
- Recordings for meetings
- Easy to use
- Must download software to join meetings
- No free plan
GoToMeeting offers a 14-day free trial and three paid plans. The Professional and Business plan cost $12 and $16, respectively, while the Enterprise Plan is customized.
13. Google Drive
Great Cloud-Backup Tool That Provides Numerous Collaboration Features.
Google Drive is a secure communication software that gives you the power to upload and save different types of files, documents, photos, audio, and videos to Google cloud. Google Drive is also a backup solution that helps you free up space on your mobile or desktop devices.
- G-mail Attachment: This is a commonly used feature, but many people do not know its value. When you receive an email from someone with images or attachments, it is easy to save the attachments to your Drive account. Simply click on the Drive icon and hover on the attachment to save it. Once you save it, you can move it to any folder on the Drive while using Gmail.
- File-Sharing: It’s easy to share your files with anyone by creating a shareable drive link or adding people using an email. Moreover, you can limit their access to your files by choosing what they can view or edit. Additionally, you can prevent editors from changing access and adding new people and download, print, and copy for commenters and viewers. Simply click on “Advanced” and tick the options as you want.
- Document Collaboration Tools: You can scan your paper documents using Google Drive mobile. Open your Drive mobile app and tap “Scan.
- Easy to use
- Secure video conferencing
- Provides SSL encryption
- Limits the size of files you can send daily
- Downloading and uploading files is slow sometimes
One of the Best Communication Tools for Collaborating on Large Projects.
Confluence is a popular team communication software ideal for companies that work on large projects where one employee is active in different teams, departments, and sometimes locations.
- File-sharing: Confluence helps you share files in different ways. You can share files with individual file lists or embed them into pages. Team members can preview files within the software before downloading them, and Confluence has a version history of all files for future reference.
- Decision-Making Features: Confluence helps team members create pages to discuss and progress decisions on ongoing projects. You can invite stakeholders to participate in important discussions, make comments, and contribute to decision-making.
- Documentation Management: One of the most useful features of Confluence is its documentation templates that make creating new documents easy and ensure that the pages created are interactive.
- Exports data in various formats
- Wide range of third party integrations
- Depends strongly on plugins
- Copying and pasting files from Confluence is stressful
Confluence provides a free plan and three paid plans, Standard, Premium, and Enterprise.
All-in-One Project Management Tool for Remote Teams.
Basecamp is a complete solution for project management and team communication. The software markets itself as an “all-in-one toolkit for working remotely.” Compared to other project management tools, it stands out because of its numerous in-built collaboration features, like group chat, message boards, and team schedules.
- Message Boards: Message boards keep the conversation about a particular topic together on the same page. You won’t have to go digging through email or try to reassemble a conversation based on various fragmented replies.
- Documents & File Storage: Every project has space for sharing documents, files, and images. This space is accessible to stakeholders in the project, so they know exactly where to find what they need.
- Campfire: Campfire is Basecamp’s real-time group communication feature that helps ask your team members quick questions and receive equally quick answers without a separate communication app.
- Check-in Questions: Check-ins help you regularly ask your team important questions and receive replies in one easy-to-digest thread. Basecamp can automatically ask your team any regular questions on a consistent schedule. You get to as frequently as you like.
- Ensures privacy and security
- Great customer support
- Works on multiple devices
- No time tracking features
- Limited functionality for mobile version
- No prioritization features
Basecamp provides a 30-day free trial and a free account called Basecamp Personal. It uses a single account that costs $99 monthly at a fixed rate.
How to Choose the Best Team Communication Tools?
The research that goes into choosing the right communication tool for your organization is time-consuming and exhausting. While each team has its unique requirements, the following features may serve as a general guide.
1. Powerful Group Chat
Video and audio calls play a big part in the effectiveness of a communication tool but communicating via text within a team is inevitable. But there are numerous ‘team communication tools that do not offer this service.
A feature that helps your team chat together is a great addition to help get quick responses on project-related issues without disrupting other people’s schedules with a call.
Your preferred tool should help you share documents, search message history, pin important messages, and edit, delete, and forward messages without much hassle.
2. Privacy and Security
The sensitive information you and your team share on a communication platform should be accessible to only people in your organization. It is important to pay attention to how well your data is protected when transferred from one user to another.
In addition, we advise you to invest in an AI-powered access control software that only grants team members and admins access to sensitive data when they meet certain requirements.
3. Voice and Video Conferencing Tools
For remote teams, video and audio calls are part of your daily or weekly routine at work. Before choosing a team communication tool, you need to ensure that it provides high-quality video and conference calling tools. This feature could either be built-in or come as integrations with video conference platforms like Skype and Hangouts.
Integrations differentiate team communication tools from the software designed for personal communication. They let you turn your team chats into a single notification center.
This means receiving software notifications from all the apps you use in one place. Define the apps you use most frequently at work and check if the team communication tool integrates well with these apps.
Check out the following articles to learn more about team communication and collaboration tools:
- Best Team Collaboration Software for Business in 2022
- Strategies to Boost Cross Team Collaboration
- Best Team Management Software in 2022
- Powerful Work from Home Tools for Teams Working Remotely
- Tips For Leading And Managing Remote Teams