11 Best Free Gantt Chart Software for Mac in 2022
Despite the growing popularity of Apple computers, especially in the business segment, the personal computer market is still dominated by Windows. As a result, a lot of business tools are still built with a strong focus on the Windows platform.
If you’ve tried searching for reliable Gantt chart software, you might have noticed that most of the available Gantt chart tools are designed with Windows in mind.
As a Mac user, this can be frustrating, but this is not to say that Mac users don’t have any reliable tools for building Gantt charts.
Below, we have compiled for you a list of 11 of the best free Gantt chart software you can use on your Mac in 2022.
Best Free Gantt Chart Software For Mac
Best For Building Beautifully Designed Gantt Charts
- Drag and drop interface: Building Gantt charts is amazingly simple with the Monday.com drag and drop interface. Simply drag a task or event and drop it where you want.
- Import from Excel: Pull information directly from old-fashioned spreadsheets and convert it into smart boards that can be visualized as Gantt charts.
- Multiple assignees: Monday.com’s Gantt chart view not only allows you to visualize tasks, but also view people assigned to these tasks. Unlike most other Gantt chart software, Monday.com even allows you to assign more than one person to the same task.
- Vertical line marker: This feature uses a vertical line to show you how each task is moving in relation to the start and end date. This makes it easier to keep track of task progress.
- Dependencies: Monday.com doesn’t just show your project schedule. It also visualizes the dependencies between different tasks.
- Color legend: When you use color-coding to organize different tasks on your Gantt charts, Monday.com generates a simple color legend below your Gantt chart so that everyone looking at the chart can easily understand what each color stands for.
Monday.com offers 4 pricing plans costing between $0 and $16 per seat per month, as well as an Enterprise plan with custom pricing. The Basic, Standard and Pro plans have a 14-day free trial.
Best Gantt Chart Software With A Feature Rich Free Plan
ClickUp is a highly popular Gantt chart software that is perfect for both small and large project teams. What we love most about ClickUp is their free plan, which comes packed with tons of features you’d have to pay for elsewhere.
- Multiple assignees and teams: Assign multiple people and even teams to the same task. This is great for tasks that require collaboration between multiple team members.
- Scheduling automations: ClickUp has an automatic scheduling feature that automatically adjusts start dates, dependencies, and due dates whenever you make some adjustments to your Gantt chart.
- Task dependencies: Setting up dependencies and visualizing them is a breeze with ClickUp’s dynamic Gantt charts.
- Progress percentage: ClickUp makes it easy to keep track of task progress by showing you what percentage of the task is complete for all tasks within your Gantt chart.
- Automatic critical path calculations: Select a group of tasks within your Gantt chart, and ClickUp will automatically calculate the critical path for this group of tasks, helping you make better decisions on which tasks to prioritize.
ClickUp offers a highly powerful free plan, while premium plans start at $5 per member per month. You can also contact ClickUp’s sales team for custom pricing under the Enterprise plan. ClickUp does not offer a free trial on their paid plans.
Best Microsoft Project Alternative For Mac
Teamwork is a professional project management platform and Gantt chart tool that provides a great alternative for the Windows-based Microsoft Project. Teamwork has a Mac app that you can launch directly from your Mac desktop.
- Drag and drop chart builder: Creating and making changes to your Gantt chart is easy with Teamwork’s drag and drop Gantt chart builder. When you make changes to tasks, Teamwork will automatically update all associated dates and dependencies.
- Effective collaboration: Keep everyone on the same page by sharing your Gantt charts with all involved team members. You also add comments to tasks, @mention specific team members, and add files and documents to tasks.
- Microsoft Project sync: Import files directly from Microsoft Project and export your Teamwork projects and Gantt charts to Microsoft Project. This feature is highly useful when you need to collaborate with other parties who are on Microsoft Project.
- Powerful mobile app: Teamwork offers a powerful mobile app that allows you to access and make changes to your Gantt charts on the go. The app is available on both iOS and Android.
Teamwork plans range from $0 per user for the Free Forever plan, to $18 per user per month for the Grow plan. A Scale plan offers custom pricing for teams that want to scale confidently. The Deliver and Grow plans come with a 30-day free trial.
Best Gantt Chart Software For Marketing Teams And Agencies
Wrike is a popular business management software and project management tool that makes it easy to organize and keep track of project tasks with its dynamic Gantt charts feature. Wrike is also very useful for enhancing project communication.
- Dynamic timelines: Maintain a bird’s eye view of how projects are coming along with Wrike’s dynamic Gannt charts, and identify potential bottlenecks before they become real problems.
- Manage multiple projects: With Wrike, you can create multiple Gantt charts for multiple projects simultaneously and manage them from one central place.
- Third party integrations: Import and export files from Wrike to Microsoft Project, Excel, and over 400 other third party tools which can be integrated with Wrike.
- Easy task adjustments: Make adjustments to your project tasks using Wrike’s drag and drop interface, and Wrike will automatically make updates to all affected dates and dependencies, and the changes automatically shared with everyone involved in the project.
- Real time updates: Whenever you assign a task to someone, make changes to task dates, or add new files to tasks, all relevant team members will receive notifications immediately. Wrike also allows you to share Gantt charts with other team members using a link, or even print out the Gantt charts.
Wrike pricing plans range from $0 to $24.80 per user per month. Custom pricing is also available for large teams under the Enterprise plan. Wrike also gives a 14-day free trial on all paid plans.
Best Gantt Chart Tool For Software Developers, HR Teams, and Event Planners
TeamGantt is a cloud-based project planning tool that simplifies and streamlines various aspects of project planning and management using slick Gantt charts.
- Drag and drop simplicity: To create and edit Gantt charts on TeamGantt, all you need to do is drag tasks and events and drop them where you need them.
- Centralized platform: TeamGannt provides you with one central place for managing all your project tasks, conversations, and documents, making team collaboration a breeze.
- Resource management: TeamGantt comes with an in-built resource management feature that makes it easier for you to check the availability of your team members and assign tasks based on every team member’s workload.
- Baselines: Baselines allow you to use Gantt charts to compare actual project progress versus planned progress. This, in turn, makes it easier to keep track of project deliverables and deadlines.
- Dependencies: Indicate which tasks are dependent on others, and see how a delay in one task affects other tasks.
- PDF and Excel exports: Create beautiful proposals and export your Gantt charts in presentation-ready Excel and PDF files.
TeamGantt offers three pricing plans – a Free Forever plan, a Standard plan costing $19.90 per user per month, and an Advanced plan costing $24.45 per user per month. The Standard and Advanced plans come with unlimited guests and a 30-day free trial.
Best Spreadsheet-Based Gantt Chart Software
Smartsheet is an easy to use Gantt online-based chart tool with a spreadsheet-like interface. Smartsheet was one of the very first tools to give Mac users the ability to import Gantt charts from Microsoft Project to Mac.
- Drag and drop Gantt bars: Drag and drop bars to set up a new Gantt chart or to make adjustments to an existing Gantt chart. Whenever you move Gantt bars, Smartsheet automatically makes adjustments to the underlying dates.
- Set dependencies and durations: Set the expected completion time for each task and establish dependencies to ensure tasks are completed in the right order.
- Color-coded Gantts: Use color-coding to organize your project tasks by task owner, task type, task status, or their phase within the project.
- Identify critical path: With the click of a button, you can identify and highlight the critical path to determine which tasks require the highest priority.
- Multiple column types: Set different types of columns within your Gantt chart, including date columns, checkbox columns, contact columns, symbol columns, and so on.
- File import and export: Import existing Gantt charts from MS Project, MS Excel, Google Drive and Trello, and export your own Gantt charts from Smartsheet in PNG or PDF format.
Smartsheet offers two pricing plans – a Pro plan at $7 per user per month, and a Business plan at $25 per user per month.
Bigger teams with custom requirements can request for custom pricing with the Enterprise plan. Smartsheet offers a 30-day free trial on the Pro and Business plans.
Best Gantt Chart Software For User Friendliness And Ease of Use
Asana is a workflow management platform that provides a user-friendly way of organizing and managing all kinds of project related tasks. Asana provides multiple ways of visualizing project tasks, including Gantt charts, which are referred to as Timelines on Asana.
- Task dependencies: Connect tasks to one another to establish dependencies and define how the tasks affect each other. This allows you to identify dependency conflicts and bottlenecks and fix them even before the project starts.
- CSV imports: Import files directly into Asana from Excel and other spreadsheet software tools in CSV format and convert them into actionable Gantt chart timelines.
- Bulk rescheduling: If something changes within your project, you can select multiple tasks and drag them to a more realistic date. This saves time compared to making adjustments for each task individually.
- Color-coding: Use different colors to organize your tasks. You can color-code tasks by status, project, type, or owner.
- Subtask count: From the Gantt chart timeline, you can easily view the number of subtasks created under each task.
Asana plans range between $0 to $24.99 per user per month, with a 30-day free trial on the Premium and Business plans.
Best Free Gantt Chart Software
- Limitless projects: With Agantty, you can create and manage multiple projects, create as many Gantt charts as you want, and add an unlimited number of teams.
- Drag and drop interface: Create Gantt charts, organize tasks, and assign tasks to team members by simply dragging and dropping them.
- Rights management: Give different rights and permissions to different team members to determine what they can view or edit depending on their roles and responsibilities.
- Multiselect: If you need to make multiple changes to your project, you can select multiple tasks at the same time and drag them to reschedule.
- PDF export: Convert and export your Gantt charts in PDF format for presentation and reference purposes.
Agantty does not have a paid version. It is available to everyone for free. However, they have paid extensions that you can buy to add more functionality to Agantty’s core features.
Simple, Easy To Use Gantt Chart Software Suited For Small Teams
Instagantt is a lightweight online-based Gantt chart tool that helps you manage project tasks using timelines and lists. Due to its simplicity, Instagantt is best suited for smaller teams.
- Workload management: View the amount of work assigned to all your team members at a particular time, and assign and schedule tasks based on your team’s availability and workload.
- Easy collaboration: Share Gantt charts with team members, assign tasks to specific team members, comment on tasks, and share files within tasks.
- Gantt chart exports: If you need to share your Gantt charts with external parties, you can export the Gantt charts as spreadsheets, images, or PDF files.
- Dependencies: Show the relationship between different project tasks, and view how changes in one task affect the other tasks. When you make adjustments to one task, Instagantt will automatically make adjustments to all associated tasks.
- Baselines: This allows you to track how a project is progressing in comparison to the planned progress at specific points in time.
Instagantt costs $7 per month for a single user, and $5 per user per month for Team subscriptions. Both plans come with a 7-day free trial.
Best Option For Using Microsoft Project On Mac
Microsoft Project is one of the most powerful and most popular project management software with Gantt chart capabilities.
While there’s no MS Project desktop app for Mac, Mac users can still get access to MS Project as part of Microsoft Office 365 For Mac. To access MS Project for Mac, you’ll have to pay extra on top of your Office 365 subscription fees.
- Gantt bar formatting: With MS Project For Mac, you can format your Gantt bars in a variety of ways. Change bar colors and shape, add text to bars, create new types of bars, change bar height, change how different Gantt bars are linked to each other, and so much more.
- Powerful reporting: Take advantage of Microsoft’s Power BI visualization to generate highly detailed project reports from your Gantt charts.
- Resource management: Use MS Project Gantt charts to plan out your resource allocation based on task duration, effort needed for each task, and availability of team members.
Microsoft Project pricing plans range from $10 per user per month to $55 per user per month. On top of this, you’ll need a subscription to Microsoft Office 365 for Mac, which starts at $5 per user per month.
Open-Source Gantt Chart Platform Designed Specifically For Mac and Linux
OpenProject is a simplistic yet powerful open-source Gantt chart software that offers excellent security, privacy, and collaboration features. One of the best things about OpenProject is that it is designed with a focus on Mac and Linux. Actually, the Enterprise plan of OpenProject only works on Mac.
- Drag and drop interface: Making updates to your Gantt charts is as simple as dragging and dropping the Gantt bars to different sections on the Gantt timeline.
- Multiple timeline views: View your Gantt charts in daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly timeline views.
- Real-time updates: OpenProject gives you a real-time view of where different project tasks stand at that particular moment. Team members also get notifications about any project changes in real-time.
- Top-notch security: Protect your Gantt charts and other project information from unauthorized access with password security, 2-factor authentication, end-to-end https data encryption, session runtime definitions, and so much more.
- Open source: OpenProject is open source, which means that you are free to modify the software in ways that best suit your needs.
The Community Edition of OpenProject is available as a free download.
There are two paid versions of OpenProject, the hosted enterprise cloud version and the self-managed enterprise on-premises version, both of which start at €5.95 per user per month, with a minimum user requirement of 5 users. Paid versions come with a 14-day free trial.
Benefits Of Using Gantt Chart Software
Below are some of the benefits you’ll gain from using Gantt chart software in project management:
- Get a big picture view of your project: Gantt chart software gives you a big picture view of every aspect of a project. You can view how long the project will take, the tasks to be completed, the order of tasks, the people in charge of each task, and so on.
- Identify dependencies and overlapping activities: Project dependencies can easily put a project in jeopardy if they are not properly managed. Using a Gantt chart software allows you to identify dependencies and overlapping activities before the project tasks. You can then schedule such tasks in such a way that they won’t affect the overall progress of the project.
- Keep track of project progress: Gantt charts make it easy to check how the project is progressing and identify tasks that are lagging behind. This way, it becomes easier to tell whether a project is still on track, or if action needs to be taken to bring it back on track.
- Avoid resource overload: With Gantt chart software, you can easily view all the tasks assigned to each team member and the schedule for these tasks. This allows you to assign and reassign tasks based on workload, without burdening your team with excessive work.
- Better team collaboration: Gantt charts enhance team collaboration by putting everyone on the same page. Everyone knows who is working on what, and they have a central place for communicating and sharing information about the project.
- Improved time management and scheduling: A Gantt chart shows you all the tasks that have to be accomplished for the project to be completed, their durations, and any relationships and dependencies between them. Visualizing this information makes it easier to come up with realistic deadlines and schedules for each project task.
How To Choose Online Gantt Software For Mac
Different people and organizations have different needs and requirements, and therefore, a Gantt chart tool that works for someone else might not be the best for you.
So, how do you choose an online Gantt software for Mac that is best suited for your needs? Here are 6 things to consider.
You don’t want to invest in Gantt chart software and then spend the next one month figuring out how to use all the tools and features it offers. Instead, pick an intuitive and user-friendly tool that your entire team can comfortably use with minimal training.
2. Collaboration Features
When using a Gantt chart tool to manage your project, you’ll most likely want to enhance collaboration between your team members. When choosing a Gantt chart tool, therefore, you should check whether it offers collaboration features like task commenting, file sharing, @mentions, and real-time notifications.
Projects are more likely to run smoothly when there is transparency between team members. Good Gantt chart software creates transparency in projects by allowing all team members to see what other team members are working on and their workloads.
4. Number Of Users
How many users do you need to add to your Gantt chart software? For small teams, a Gantt chart tool that supports 10 to 20 users might be enough. For bigger teams, you’ll be better off with Gantt chart software that supports an unlimited number of users.
It’s also good to consider whether your Gantt chart software of choice supports sharing with non-users. This is an important tool if you often need to share your Gantt charts with clients.
Do you use a wide range of business tools and apps on a daily basis?
If so, you’ll want to go for Gantt chart software that can be integrated or synced with popular business tools, such as customer relationship management (CRM) tools, email marketing tools, enterprise resource planning (ERP) tools, document management tools, marketing automation tools, and so on.
Some of the best Gantt chart software also support APIs that allow you to build your own custom integrations.
The best features on Gantt chart software mean little if you cannot afford the software. When choosing a suitable Gantt chart software for Mac, therefore, remember to keep an eye on your budget.
One thing to remember here is that you don’t have to pay for the most expensive tool that fits within your budget. Some of these Gantt chart tools come with a ton of features you might never need, so there’s no point in paying for these features if you’ll never use them.
Which Gantt Chart Software For Mac Should I Try?
With close to a dozen great Gantt chart software to choose from, making the right decision can be a bit confusing. Ultimately, however, the best Gantt chart software for you will depend on your specific needs and budget.
If you’re having a hard time making a decision, however, below are our top five Gantt chart software for Mac that you should give a try:
- Monday.com: Best for those who want to visualize their project tasks using beautifully designed Gantt charts.
- ClickUp: Best solution if you want a free plan that is packed with useful features.
- Teamwork: Best option for those who want to open MS Project files on Mac.
- Wrike: Powerful Gantt chart software that is best suited for marketing teams and agencies.
- TeamGantt: Best cloud-based Gantt chart tool for software developers, HR teams, and event planners.