18 Best Notion Alternatives for 2023 (with Free Competitors)
You may have some notions about Notion.
To begin with, Notion can help you take notes and offers numerous pre-made templates for your workspace.
It also combines the features of a note-taking app and a task management app to meet your business requirements.
But unlike those 8am Zoom calls where you can conveniently hide your pajama pants under your desk, you need a tool that’ll see everything about your tasks and projects.
Sadly, that’s not Notion.
From managing multiple projects to collaborations among large teams, Notion seems to be wavering.
So, if you’re on the journey of choosing an alternative to Notion, here’s my detailed review of the best Notion alternatives with some free competitors.
Most of these Notion alternatives offer features that are either superior or at least on par with Notion.
However, before we begin, let’s see why you should look for an alternative to Notion.
Why Look for Alternatives to Notion?
No doubt, Notion is a useful tool.
It offers numerous features, such as bulk actions, flexible content storage, and works for various business settings.
But Notion is not without its fair share of shortcomings.
Here’s why you may need an alternative to Notion.
1. User Interface Is Difficult to Understand
Notion can seem quite hard to navigate, especially to non-technical users.
The platform has a building block system for creating workspaces that may require some time to master.
There’s also a bit of a learning curve to understanding how pages can be built to suit your needs, especially when it comes to table creation.
Furthermore, among Notion’s numerous features is the ability to customize your documents on a project-by-project basis.
While this seems like a great feature helping you get the most out of your documents, this level of customization makes the whole onboarding process overwhelming, especially to new users.
2. You Cannot Integrate Your Workspace With Google Calendar
If you want to manage your calendar within Notion, you are better off with an alternative to Notion on this list.
As a “One workspace. Every team.” productivity solution, you would have expected a seamless integration with Google Calendar, seeing how 500 million people use it for their daily activities.
Well, not in Notion’s case.
You can’t create events within Notion and have them sync to Google Calendar natively.
Similarly, while you can embed a calendar in Notion, the embedded calendar is view-only and cannot be edited in the Notion app itself.
So, every time you want to add or edit an event, you’ll have to hop over to your Google calendar app.
Totally unnecessary if you ask me.
3. Search Feature Can Be Frustrating
Although Notion advertises a Quick find feature, searching for your content on Notion isn’t anywhere close to quick.
While some other Notion alternatives allow you to search for files, to-dos, and documents with very minimal information, if you do not know the exact title of your desired page, it can be quite hard to find it on Notion.
Best Notion Alternatives
Best Overall Notion Alternative.
This Notion alternative has a drag and drop interface that helps you share and store files and seamlessly organize and assign workflow to your team members.
- Create a custom workflow for you and your team, or choose from over 200 ready-made templates.
- Embed Monday.com boards, dashboards, and videos directly into your workdocs.
- Every update is automatically synced with your workflow in real-time.
- Visualize your workflow in multiple views, including calendar, map, timeline, workload, Kanban, form, Gantt chart, and main views.
- Setup customizable code-free automation to create the perfect workflow for your team.
- Communicate and collaborate with your team in real-time, tag team members and guests, and edit any document simultaneously with your team members.
- Break down large tasks into subtasks using Monday.com’s Checklist feature.
- Analyze your team’s productivity and bill clients accurately with Monday.com’s in-built time tracking tool.
- Connect your workflow with productivity tools, eCommerce platforms, CRM software, and other third-party tools, including Dropbox, Woocommerce, Microsoft Teams, Shopify, Google Calendar, and Microsoft Excel.
- Get a detailed overview of your team’s resource capacity and analyze your business and team’s performance with data dashboards to scale production.
- Mobile apps are available for iOS and Android devices.
Monday.com’s pricing begins with a free forever plan that offers two seats, unlimited boards and docs, and over 200+ templates.
However, if you want access to more features, like unlimited free viewers, advanced reporting and analytics, numerous integrations, and advanced automation, you’ll have to purchase its pricing plans.
Monday.com has four pricing plans: Basic, Standard, Pro, and Enterprise, and you’ll get a 14-day free trial to try out the advanced features before making any financial commitment.
Why Choose Monday.com Over Notion?
As an alternative to Notion, Monday.com offers numerous views, including a built-in calendar view for scheduling and visualizing tasks.
On the contrary, Notion doesn’t have a calendar feature and won’t integrate with other third-party calendar tools. That means, every time you want to add or edit an event, you’ll have to hop over to your calendar app, thereby increasing cost.
Simple Notion Alternative for Effective Project Management and Goal Tracking.
ClickUp is a project management tool that offers maximum flexibility and control over your projects and tasks.
This alternative to Notion offers over a hundred templates to build your workplace and allows you to create trackable tasks and collaborate with your team members on tasks.
Your team members can configure their workspace to suit their specific needs even without technical knowledge, and you can easily plan, manage and organize your projects and tasks in one place with its drag and drop interface.
- Create the perfect docs, wikis, and knowledge with ClickUp docs and connect them to your workflow.
- Easily tackle your work from any angle with ClickUp’s powerful views, including list, timeline, board, Gantt, box, calendar, table, map, workload, mind map, and timeline.
- Track team’s progress, measure project goals and manage resources effectively with its real-time reporting feature.
- Automate routine work and processes with over 50 actions, triggers, and conditions.
- Easily create and assign tasks to multiple team members, comment on task progress, add custom tags, and organize them using different levels of priorities.
- Automatically or manually track your work hours and create custom reports for billable time.
- Integrate your workspace with your existing CRM software tools, email marketing services, and other third-party tools, including Salesforce, HubSpot, Buffer, Zendesk, Box, and Zapier.
- ClickUp is available on multiple platforms, including mobile devices, desktops, voice assistants, email add-ons, and Chrome extensions.
Pricing on ClickUp begins with a free forever plan that allows unlimited tasks and members, native time tracking, and offers 100MB storage space.
There are also four pricing plans on ClickUp; Unlimited, Business, Business Plus, and Enterprise plans that offer more advanced features such as unlimited integration, unlimited storage, unlimited teams, and custom role creation labeling.
Why Choose ClickUp Over Notion?
Unlike Notion, ClickUp allows you to break down your tasks into subtasks, making them easier to accomplish.
AI-Powered Notion Alternative for Project Managers and Enterprises.
Wrike is a project management software that helps you plan and manage your projects, track work progress, and collaborate with your team members in one dedicated space.
You can organize your workflow in different views, including list, calendar, timeline, spreadsheet views, Kanban boards, and Gantt charts and automate your workflow to help your team members focus on only important tasks.
- Build your workflow with a variety of built-in templates.
- Get a consolidated view of your task management activities via Wrike’s intuitive dashboard and unique three-pane view.
- Easily share files, collaborate, and communicate with your team members and clients.
- Shorten your feedback process with Wrike’s visual proofing and automated approval systems.
- Turn comments and group chats into actionable tasks with Wrike’s custom request form.
- Integrate your workflow with CRM tools, email marketing software, and cloud storage tools, including Salesforce, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Jira, and Dropbox.
- Simplify your creative process, review and approve tasks and projects with Wrike’s in-built proofing and approval tool.
- View your team’s project status and monitor your resources and project progress with customizable dashboards and reports to make insight-led decisions for your business.
- Create and lock timesheets and track time manually or with a timer to accurately view time spent on projects and focus on billable hours.
Wrike Pricing begins with a free plan that offers you 2GB storage space per account, basic integrations and allows up to five users.
However, depending on your business needs, you can access more features like enterprise-grade security, shareable dashboards, advanced integrations on its pricing plans; Professional, Business, and Enterprise plans.
Furthermore, there are pricing packages available for Marketing and Professional Services teams. Contact Wrike’s sales department to get started.
Why Choose Wrike Over Notion?
Unlike Notion, Wrike has an intuitive time tracking tool that enables you to streamline your invoices and focus on your billable hours.
Most Suitable Notion Alternative for Flawless Team Collaboration.
Teamwork is a project management software that helps you track and manage your tasks and projects at any time, as well as manage and optimize your team’s resources.
You can organize your workflow with tags and easily combine tags with filters to find the exact information you need anytime.
This alternative to Notion also lets you collaborate with context and efficiency. You can invite an unlimited number of clients to your projects at no extra cost and communicate with your team via the message feature.
- Easily create reusable task templates and default templates for your projects and tasks.
- Visualize your workflow in multiple formats, including Gantt chart, Kanban board, Calendar view, and Portfolio view.
- Write, save, upload, and share all files and documents in one central place.
- Grant your team members and clients permission-based access to projects.
- Quickly create tasks and subtasks and assign a team member to individual projects.
- Seamlessly integrate your workflow with CRM software, accounting software, email marketing platforms, and other third-party tools.
- Create and share content on a project with Teamwork’s notebook.
- Create tasks directly from messages in Teamwork and group messages into appropriate categories.
- Track time spent on projects and bill clients accurately with Teamwork’s time tracking software.
- Get a detailed overview of your activity timelines, view your project through different customized lenses, and build personalized dashboards to show key metrics for you and your team.
Teamwork has a free forever plan for five users and offers basic task and project management features.
You can access more features like over 20 project templates, collaborative document editor, and custom fields on its paid plans; Deliver, Grow, and Scale plans.
Teamwork also offers a 30-day free trial on the Deliver and Grow plans.
Why Choose Teamwork Over Notion?
Unlike Notion, Teamwork has an in-built time tracking software that effortlessly measures the time spent on your projects across multiple tasks and provides valuable insights to manage team resources and timelines better.
Best Notion Alternative With Spreadsheet-Style Layout for Business Teams.
If you love the versatility of an excel sheet but need more features in terms of reporting, automation, and collaboration, then Smartsheet is your go-to.
This Notion alternative facilitates 360o communication and collaboration with team members and external users. You can utilize tools like automated alerts, automatic locking, @ mentions, pinned annotations, proofs, status reports, and reminders to keep track of your team’s progress.
- Build customizable forms with Smartsheet’s drag and drop form builder and provide access to forms by embedding them on your websites or dashboard and sharing a unique link to forms.
- Organize and visualize your workflow in multiple formats, including calendar view, standard view, card view, and Gantt chart.
- Easily upload files to your workspace, sheet, or row.
- Securely collaborate with your team members and external clients and share sheets or files with them as PDF, Excel, or Google Sheets attachments.
- Easily automate repetitive tasks and projects and set up recurring workflows, such as daily deadline reminders to improve productivity.
- Configure a custom email domain at your organizational level to increase the trust and relevance of your Smartsheet emails.
- Store docs and attach files from the cloud to individual rows or sheets to keep all your information in one centralized place.
- Integrate your workflow with helpdesk software, CRM tools, and other third-party apps, including Slack, Salesforce, Jira, Microsoft Teams, Box, and Google Workspace.
- Control and manage ownership, usage, and access privilege to your sheets, row, and entire workflow.
- Easily identify trends and emerging issues, manage work across multiple sheets, get a detailed overview of your work progress, and share reports to keep team members in the loop.
- Access your projects, files, and sheets on the go via Smartsheet’s mobile app available for both Android and iOS devices.
Pricing on Smartsheet is available in three paid plans; Pro, Business, and Enterprise.
You’ll also get a 30-day free trial to check out their features before making any financial commitment.
Why Choose Smartsheet Over Notion?
Unlike Notion, Smartsheet has a time tracking feature that helps you manage your team members’ performance.
Try out Smartsheet free for 30 days. No credit card required.
Best Notion Alternative With Email Collaboration for Project Managers and Agile Teams.
Hive is a project management and online collaboration tool that helps you plan, execute, organize, and manage projects for your business, as well as build sustainable teamwork, all from a centralized workplace.
This Notion alternative lets you plan and repeat tasks via action templates and create tasks directly from your email.
You and your team can also save time for other demanding tasks by setting triggers to automate recurring tasks and streamline your workflow.
- View projects and tasks in multiple formats, including portfolio, table, Gantt chart, Kanban board, calendar, and summary.
- Easily create tasks and subtasks and assign due dates to keep your team accountable.
- Visualize your team’s workload, track time spent on projects and tasks, and collect time tracking data directly from all your team members via Hive in-built time tracker.
- Access detailed information about your project progress and team members’ activities via Hive Analytics.
- Customize your workflow by providing permission-based access to your projects and designating priority levels for projects and tasks.
- Get your projects proofed and approved by internal and external collaborators directly on Hive.
- Set meeting agendas, assign action items, and comment directly on team members’ tasks via Hive Notes.
- Easily add information, data, and other details directly to your project via your unique Hive address.
- Communicate with your team members via Hive Chat feature or a shared inbox available in Hive Mail.
- Seamlessly integrate with email marketing software, file sharing services, and other third-party tools, including Gmail, Okta, Salesforce, Jira, Box, OneDrive, and Zapier.
Pricing on Hive is available in three plans, Hive Solo, Hive Teams, and Hive Enterprise.
Hive Solo is a free plan that allows up to two users and offers you unlimited storage space.
Hive Teams and Hive Enterprise are paid plans that offer more features, such as unlimited user limit, advanced integrations, and 24/7 customer support.
You’ll also get a 14-day free trial on the Hive Teams plan.
Why Choose Hive Over Notion?
Unlike Notion, Hive has an online proofing and annotation tool that enables your team to make real-time changes to projects and tasks in one collaborative space.
Budget-Friendly Notion Alternative for SMBs and Entrepreneurs Looking to Streamline Their Project Plans.
Once you create tasks and to-do lists, you can include descriptions in tasks and assign them to your team members, who will be notified about the task in real-time.
You can also include comments, videos, documents, and other files in your task board and link issues, comments, meeting agendas, and bugs to your tasks and projects to keep everyone in the loop.
- Easily build your workspace from a wide range of ready-made templates.
- Customize your workspace by including a custom name and display picture to reflect your brand’s identity.
- Visualize your workspace in multiple platforms, including Kanban board, Gantt chart, list view, and calendar view.
- Create sub-tasks and dependencies and differentiate tasks with color options.
- Automate your recurring tasks on daily, weekly, or custom intervals.
- Create a unique URL to log into your workspace without any hassle.
- Receive important alerts and notifications directly to your email or via in-app notifications.
- Integrate your workflow with project management tools and CRM software tools, including Zapier, Asana, Dropbox, Jira, Harvest, Microsoft Office 365, and Evernote.
- Manage your team’s timesheets and keep track of billable and non-billable resources with nTask’s time tracking software.
- Create custom risk matrices with nTask’s customizable risk register and manage risks for successful project deliveries.
nTask has a free plan that offers unlimited workspace, 100MB storage space and allows five members per team.
You can also unlock all its advanced features, like over 5GB storage space and custom filters with their paid plans.
There are two paid plans on nTask: Premium and Business plans, and you’ll get a 14-day free trial to try out their advanced features.
Why Choose nTask Over Notion?
Unlike Notion, nTask has an automated web time tracker that helps you keep track of the time spent by your team members and their activities.
Highly Scalable Notion Alternative With Rich Collaboration Tools for Digital Agencies and Product Managers.
Nifty is a Notion alternative with a fully customizable dashboard that aligns projects, tasks, and goals with real-time collaboration in a centralized workspace.
You can easily maintain visual oversight of your business’s goals and create project lists for team members. Once you assign a task to a team member from a list, they get automatic access to all the tasks on that list.
- Easily create templates for recurring tasks.
- Organize your workflow in multiple formats, including list, swimlane, timeline, and Kanban view.
- Automate recurring tasks based on specific dates or status.
- Create subtasks to set smaller objectives and help team members meet goals easily.
- Set bulk task dependencies and organize your tasks with custom tags to indicate priorities or ownership.
- Create collaborative documents, such as spreadsheets, Nifty Docs, or Google Docs with your team members that sync automatically to your cloud storage.
- Create a task directly from project discussions and organize your discussions by creating threads.
- Monitor the time spent on your tasks and projects with Nifty’s time tracker.
- Access your tasks and files and communicate with your team on the go via Nifty’s mobile app.
Nifty has a free plan that offers 100MB storage space and allows you to execute two active projects at a time.
However, you’ll have to opt for its paid plans if you want access to more features, such as over 100GB of storage and unlimited active projects.
Nifty has four paid plans; Starter, Pro, Business, and Enterprise, and offers a 14-day free trial to check out the advanced features.
Why Choose Nifty Over Notion?
Unlike Notion, Nifty offers an in-built time tracking tool that helps monitor time spent on task activities to boost productivity.
User-Friendly Notion Alternative With Robust Online Proofing Capabilities.
ProofHub is a project management solution that helps businesses plan, collaborate, organize, and deliver projects on time, as well as organize files and documents in one place.
This Notion alternative also allows you to collaborate with your team, communicate with comments, @ mention your team members in an ongoing conversation on a discussion topic, and bring your team and clients discussion in one central place.
However, ProofHub’s most significant benefit is its in-built tools that help businesses and teams manage projects that include visual materials, such as design work and advertisement.
- Visualize your workflow in multiple views, including table view, calendar view, Kanban board, and Gantt chart.
- Create discussion topics and select with whom you want to discuss a particular topic.
- Keep multiple versions of the same files and access them anytime you want.
- Communicate with your team members and clients in any language of your preference, including English, French, German, Turkey, Chinese (Taiwan), Dutch, Spanish, and Portuguese.
- Create custom roles and grant access levels to team members or clients just as it suits your organization.
- Upload files, create tasks, and add comments on discussion topics directly from your email.
- Create notes to save project ideas, minutes of meetings and customize them however you choose.
- Review files, proof them, annotate them with markup tools, and add clear and actionable feedback via ProofHub’s online proofing system.
- Access detailed individual, custom, and project reports that help you visualize every aspect of your project and adjust future plans accordingly.
- Set time estimates, track time manually or with a timer, export timesheets, and create custom time reports of your team members and projects.
- ProofHub is compatible with iOS, Android, and Windows operating systems to enable you to access your projects anytime and anywhere.
ProofHub has two pricing plans: Essential and Ultimate Control.
You’ll also get a 14-day free trial for you to try out its features before making any financial commitment.
Why Choose ProofHub Over Notion?
Unlike Notion, ProofHub has a proofing feature that allows you to review files, proof them, collaborate on them, and approve them from wherever you are.
Best Notion Alternative Offering Visual Collaboration to SMBs and Teams.
Once you create a project, it is marked with boards to keep all tasks organized and provide you with a full overview of every activity. Cards represent tasks and will hold all the information you and your team members need to get the job done, while lists indicate the different stages of a task.
Trello offers you unlimited cards to collaborate with team members. You can easily add team members to cards, include descriptions and labels, add due dates, share files of all formats, and move them between lists.
- Easily build your workflow with easy-to-use templates or create your team template from scratch with its drag and drop editing tool.
- Run commands, set automated rules to streamline your work process, and create custom buttons to build processes quickly via Trello’s in-built automation, Butler.
- Communicate with team members via @ mentions and comments on cards.
- Link your cards, project, and team members by pasting a URL as a card title.
- Receive alerts and notifications via email in real-time and a notification tool in the web app.
- Create checklists to help team members overpower overwhelming tasks.
- Trello securely stores all your files and corporate data and offers numerous labels and searching filters to locate your desired file.
- Visualize your workflow in multiple views, including dashboard, calendar, table, map, workspace, and timeline views.
- Integrate seamlessly with cloud storage and other third-party apps like Slack, Gmail, Salesforce, InVision, and Jira.
- Manage your tasks and projects on the go with Trello’s mobile app available for iOS and Android mobile devices.
Trello has a free version that offers ten boards per workspace and 10MB storage space per file.
However, depending on your business needs, you can choose from Trello’s pricing plans; Standard, Premium, and Enterprise.
You’ll also get a 14-day free trial on the Premium plan only.
Why Choose Trello Over Notion?
Trello has an in-built automation tool, Butler, that enables you to automate recurring tasks in your workflow and even some actions in your integrated tools.
On the contrary, Notion doesn’t have an in-built automation tool and will only integrate with other third-party automation tools, therefore increasing cost.
Best Notion Alternative With Unlimited Tasks and Projects for SMBs.
This Notion alternative has a drag and drop interface that helps you create tasks and subtasks, group tasks into sections to keep them organized, and set deadlines easily.
Once you’ve started using Asana, you can forget about email communication as you can easily send private messages to your team members and create a space for all team conversations and announcements directly in Asana.
- Create your workflow from over 50 customizable templates.
- Automate routine tasks and streamline processes in minutes.
- Create a customized and simplified intake process with Asana forms.
- Collaborate seamlessly with your team members, comment directly on tasks, and receive automatic updates to email/inbox.
- Visualize your workflow in multiple views, including board, calendar, timeline, and list.
- Integrate your workflow with CRM software, helpdesk software, and other third-party tools or develop a custom solution for your team.
- Get real-time insight into the state of your team’s work and gauge your project progress with customizable and downloadable dashboards and charts.
- Set clear business goals with Goals features that’ll align your organization in one direction and keep track of your team’s progress.
- Get a complete picture of your team members’ capacities and manage their workload in real-time.
- Asana has a desktop app and a mobile app available for Android and iOS devices.
Asana has a free plan for teams of up to 15 people and offers 100MB of storage space per file.
Access to more features like unlimited dashboards, proofing, and unlimited free guests are available on its pricing plans; Premium, Business, and Enterprise Plans.
You’ll also get a 30-day free trial to check out the pricing plans before making any financial commitment.
Why Choose Asana Over Notion?
Unlike Notion, Asana allows you to build custom reports, highlighting data that is relevant to your business.
Free Notion Alternative for Creating Wikis and Databases.
Microsoft OneNote is an alternative to Notion that helps you create notebooks easily to meet all your note-taking needs.
You can create notebooks in numerous content types, including plain texts, audio recordings, online videos, and handwritten notes.
OneNote has an excellent organization system, with each level being highly customizable. Each notebook you create features an unlimited number of sections with unlimited pages and subpages.
OneNote also keeps track of the previous versions of your notes instead of completely overriding them so that you can easily refer to them in the future.
- Intuitive drag and drop interface with numerous templates for easy note creation.
- Easily include internal links in your notes to connect them with other notes.
- Translate texts to other languages via its in-built translation tool.
- Edit embedded files and extract texts directly from images.
- Quickly sort your pages with your custom preference.
- Integrate your workflow with Microsoft suite tools and other third-party tools.
- Collaborate and share your notes, thoughts, and ideas with your team members and offer them permission-based access to contribute to notes.
- Quickly save web content for future references with OneNote’s web clipper.
- Microsoft OneNote is available for Windows, macOS, as well as Android and iOS mobile devices.
Microsoft OneNote is free to use.
Why Choose Microsoft OneNote Over Notion?
Unlike Notion, Microsoft OneNote has an in-built translation tool that helps you translate texts to other languages, thereby supporting a multilingual workforce.
Best Notion Alternative With Strong Communication Tools.
Basecamp is a project management software that helps businesses track and manage projects, share relevant files, and collaborate effectively, all from one dedicated space.
Once you create a to-do list for your project, you can easily create tasks in it and include notes, images, and other files to make your to-do list more detailed.
Basecamp is also a super convenient team communication tool. Every project has its own chat room, called Campfires, where you can comment on tasks, mention people, and include other relevant documents.
Similarly, you can limit the conversation to selected team members via the Ping feature.
- Easily create tasks and subtasks, set deadlines, assign them to your team members, and set reminders for deadlines.
- Create recurring messages that Basecamp automatically sends to your team members to monitor their progress.
- Build your workflow across your existing cloud storage, accounting software, and CRM tools.
- Easily upload documents, spreadsheets, and other files from your local computer or cloud storage and organize them in folders for easy accessibility.
- Keep track of tasks, monitor upcoming tasks, and visualize your project progress with Hill Chart.
- Set up two-factor authentication to keep your Basecamp account secured.
- Receive notifications such as new messages and task assignments in a separate inbox to avoid missing out on important information.
- Post announcements, updates and offer feedback on-topic with Basecamp’s message board.
Basecamp has a free plan, Basecamp Personal, that offers 1GB storage space and allows only 20 users.
More features such as unlimited projects and users, 500GB storage space, and numerous project templates are available on its paid plan, Basecamp Business.
You’ll also get a 30-day free trial on the paid plan to try out its advanced features.
Why Choose Basecamp Over Notion?
Unlike Notion, you can respond to messages in Basecamp directly via email, thereby saving time and enhancing efficiency.
Best Notion Alternative for Salesforce Users.
Quip is a Salesforce productivity platform that enables your team to collaborate on documents and maintain all forms of communication and information in a single place.
This Notion alternative lets you create your file from various file types, including word processing document, spreadsheet, and slideshow presentation.
You and your team members can simultaneously edit and adapt a document and spreadsheet and easily access your Quip documents online or offline.
- Build your workflow with highly customizable templates.
- Personalize your workflow however you like by including images and colorful highlights.
- Communicate with your team in real-time via team chat rooms and in-app chat built into every document and spreadsheet.
- Create folders to organize your files and offer permission-based access to different folders.
- Easily export content as PDF, Word, Xls, or HTML files to your team members and clients.
- Quip syncs directly to the cloud, thereby securely storing all your files and content.
- Easily create tasks, add deadlines and other details, and assign them to team members.
- Seamlessly integrate your Salesforce data into Quip and link your workflow with file sharing sites and other business apps and services, such as Dropbox, Jira, Smartsheet, and Box.
- Access your chats, documents, task lists, and spreadsheet at any time via your browser, desktop, or mobile devices.
Quip has three pricing plans; Quip Starter, Quip Plus, and Quip Advanced, and offers a free trial on the Quip Starter plan alone.
Why Choose Quip Over Notion?
Unlike Notion, Quip has a team chat built into every document and spreadsheet to help streamline your workflow.
Dedicated Notion Alternative for Taking Notes.
Evernote is a note-taking app that helps you create the perfect plan to stay organized and boost workplace productivity.
This Notion alternative offers you a 200MB maximum note size to help you store HD images and presentations and allows you to access them anytime, even without a network connection.
Once you create a note, you can customize it however you want and attach audio, video, PDFs, documents, and scans to make it more useful to your team members.
- Choose from numerous customizable and reusable templates to create your note.
- Assign tasks directly from your notes, and include essential details like due dates, flags, and reminders to keep track of their progress.
- Save and annotate web pages, images, and PDFs with Evernote Web Clipper.
- Keep up with your team members’ work, ideas, and suggestions via a centralized space.
- Quickly find documents or files with Evernote’s advanced search capabilities.
- Seamlessly integrate your workspace with Google Suite, Slack, and Microsoft Teams.
- Updates on notes sync automatically across all your devices.
- Evernote is available for download on multiple platforms, including iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Linux (beta).
Evernote has a free version that allows you to sync up to 2 devices and upload data worth 60MB monthly.
More advanced features like syncing unlimited devices and over 10GB monthly uploads are available on its pricing plan, Personal and Professional plan.
You’ll also get a 14-day free trial to test the waters before making any financial commitment.
Why Choose Evernote Over Notion?
Evernote offers you full offline access to all your tasks and to-dos, thereby improving productivity.
On the other hand, Notion's offline access is limited to only recently opened pages.
16. Google Keep
Free Notion Alternative Offering Seamless Integration With Google Suite.
If you need a minimalist tool that simplifies your tasks and to-dos, then Google Keep is your go-to.
This Notion alternative is a simple yet effective to-do list application that allows you to capture everything you have on your mind without missing any detail.
One of its unique features is its Read later feature that allows you to save interesting articles you come across while browsing the web on your mobile device.
- Simple-to-use user interface.
- Quickly create notes by typing, talking, drawing, or capturing an image.
- Add team members to notes via their email.
- Easily create a pop-up, location-based, and time-based reminder for all your notes.
- Automatically syncs your data and updates across all your devices.
- Organize your notes in one place with Google Keep Labels and color codes.
- Navigate between light and dark themes for a comfortable working experience.
- Quickly filter and search for notes by reminders, links, images, drawings, lists, and color-coding.
- Seamlessly integrate your workflow with Google Suite tools.
- Google Keep is available as a mobile app for Android or iOS devices, browser extension, and web app.
Google Keep is free to use.
Why Choose Google Keep Over Notion?
Unlike Notion, Google Keep offers a location-based reminder so that you don’t miss out on any task-related notes.
Best Notion Alternative for Wiki and Knowledge Base Creation.
Slab is a Notion alternative that helps businesses discover, manage, and organize knowledge through shared learning and documentation.
Unlike other knowledge bases that organize your content by folders and tags only, Slab offers unique organization and hierarchy alongside and arranges your content by topic, making it highly mess-free.
- Intuitive interface with modern editing capabilities.
- Quickly access important details from your content and files with Silo’s unified search.
- Organize tasks with Slab Topics to provide relevant context for your team.
- Slab offers a real-time collaborative editor that ensures that your team members can access the updated version of every content anytime.
- Seamlessly integrate your workflow with other knowledge base tools, help desk software, project management apps, and CRM software tools, including Slack, GitHub, Freshdesk, Figma, Asana, Google Docs, and Dropbox.
- Get access to detailed information on your content as well as team members’ activities.
Slab has a free plan that allows you to share your workflow with up to 10 users.
However, its paid plans, Startup, Business, and Enterprise plans offer more features, including unlimited users and more than three guests per user.
Why Choose Slab Over Notion?
Slab has a robust search feature that allows unified search from within their app, which reduces bias and expands the scope of their knowledge base software to other unrelated silos.
On the contrary, Notion has a Quick find feature that’s not as powerful or intuitive as Slab’s search operands.
Best Notion Alternative for Technical Teams Looking to Author Series of Documentations.
Confluence is a Notion alternative that connects businesses with content and ideas as well as supports knowledge sharing and collaboration with team members.
At the top of Confluence’s features is its simplicity. To create a knowledge base for your team, you can simply create a document from scratch or drag and drop files or attachments so that your team can find answers in a single place.
You can also keep communication with your team members and clients afloat via in-line and page comments, likes, and visual elements such as images, GIFs, and emojis.
- Create a perfect and personalized workflow from over 75 templates.
- Co-edit with your team members in real-time, add comments, and send notifications when any update is made on a document.
- Track updates on files and documents via version history.
- Set permission-based access to sensitive content and documents.
- Integrate your workflow across the Atlassian suite, such as Jira and Trello, and other third-party tools, such as Box, Salesforce, Google Drive, Slack, and Microsoft Teams.
- Confluence has mobile apps for iOS and Android devices so that you can stay in sync with your team from anywhere.
Confluence has a free plan for only ten users with 2GB file storage and unlimited spaces and pages.
If you have a team of more than ten users or want to access more advanced features such as over 250GB file storage, page insights, and audit logs, you’ll have to opt for their paid plans.
Confluence has three paid plans; Standard, Premium, and Enterprise, and offers a 7-day free trial on the Standard and Premium plans only.
Why Choose Confluence Over Notion?
Unlike Notion, Confluence offers advanced search with unlimited version history.
How to Choose the Right Notion Alternative?
Choosing the right Notion alternative is quite a big decision.
On the one hand, you want to avoid an out of the frying pan into the fire situation for your business.
On the other hand, you want to stay within the limit of your business resources.
Well, even though your fears are valid, they are absolutely avoidable.
1. Outline Your Business Needs
It’s important to know what you’re looking for in a Notion alternative so that you can find a solution that meets your business needs and requirements.
The answer here is as simple as this question; What does your business need?
- Are you looking for powerful editing capabilities?
- Do you want to track the time spent on projects in your organizations?
- Are you looking for Kanban software or Gantt chart software to support your visual workflow methodology?
- Are you looking for reliable document version history?
- Are you looking for an advanced search with filter options?
- Do you need unlimited file uploads and storage?
- Are you looking for tools for organizing, such as labels, tags, and custom colors?
- Do you need advanced reporting features?
- Do you want to integrate your SaaS platforms and other third-party tools easily?
- Is your business on a budget?
- Are you looking for real-time collaboration with multiple users?
- Do you need task automation and notifications to boost productivity?
- Do you want to visualize your workflow in multiple work views?
Or perhaps, I didn’t include your own business needs here?
Don’t worry. Just note your business needs down.
The most important thing is figuring out all your business needs and requirements as it’ll influence your decision in choosing the right Notion alternative for your business.
2. Consider Your Organization Size
So now you know what your business needs, it’s time to evaluate your organization size.
How many people will be using this Notion alternative? Do they work remotely?
Also, if you collaborate with external clients, you should look out for Notion alternatives that offer online collaboration features with third parties.
3. Evaluate Cost
All the Notion alternatives on this list vary from provider to provider, and so do their price tags.
Some are free, while some cost tens to hundreds of dollars. Some also offer monthly or annual subscriptions.
It’s up to you to determine which cost and payment plan suits your budget.
Furthermore, when evaluating the cost of a Notion alternative, think long-term.
If you are looking at expanding your team in the future, consider how such changes can affect the cost of the Notion alternative and, more importantly, your budget.
Before you make your final decision, here are some bonus factors you should also consider.
4. Does It Offer Advanced Features?
Notion claims to be a platform that combines the power of a productivity solution with compelling note-taking features.
However, there are only so many features any platform can have, and in Notion’s case, it’s at the cost of advanced features, like built-in Gantt charts, assigned comments, time tracking, reminders, and robust search function.
5. Does It Offer An Intuitive User Experience?
Every business or project team needs a solution that works with minimal configuration and which every team member can navigate easily.
Sadly, Notion has a steep learning curve that can decrease your productivity and prevent you from maximizing the tool, especially as a non-tech-savvy user.
Therefore, you should choose a Notion alternative that virtually every member of your team can navigate, irrespective of their technical experience.
6. Does It Have a Public API?
Notion doesn’t integrate well with other tools and services.
So, if you have other existing tools and software and would like to integrate them into your workflow, consider a Notion alternative with a reliable public API.
Which Notion Alternatives Should I Try?
Here are our top best Notion alternatives.
- Monday.com: Overall best Notion alternative.
- ClickUp: Perfect Notion alternative for tracking your business goals.
- Wrike: Best Notion alternative with robust AI technology.
- ProofHub: Perfect Notion alternative if online proofing is at the top of your business needs.
- Nifty, Trello, and Teamwork: Reliable Notion alternatives to scale your team collaboration efforts.
- Slab and Microsoft OneNote: Best for creating wikis and databases.
As you have seen, there are numerous Notion alternatives available for you.
Has any of them struck a note of inspiration within you yet? Or maybe more confusion?
It's okay if you can't decide on the Notion alternative to use. After all, we all know that the more choices you have, the harder it becomes to make a decision.
However, before you start getting worked up, the first step to take would be to note down the specific features you require in a Notion alternative.
Are you looking to create wikis and databases? Do you need advanced reporting or third-party integration? Is resource management at the top of your business needs? Or perhaps, you'd love to monitor your team's working hours.
Next, you must identify several major functions that demand consideration, such as price plans, the technical experience of your team members, and business size.
Once you have done this, you can now compare them with this detailed list of Notion alternatives.
Surely you'll be able to weed out unfit tools and select a platform that meets all your business requirements.